• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You're never to old for free candy!
Same thing the people at my high school say. I also just realized that the blue and yellow striped shirt that I have is long sleeve, not short sleeve, so I'd have to get a short sleeve one if I were to go as Ness. But then again, it gets pretty cold on Halloween night, so maybe long sleeve is better...

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Same thing the people at my high school say. I also just realized that the blue and yellow striped shirt that I have is long sleeve, not short sleeve, so I'd have to get a short sleeve one if I were to go as Ness. But then again, it gets pretty cold on Halloween night, so maybe long sleeve is better...
Personally, I'd take comfort over looks, but that's just me.

Also, I have a question of my own. You see I was hoping to buy a game on the eShop, and I narrowed the choices down to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I'm not sure which to get, and I only have enough money for one. Which one would you guys/gals recommend? PS: Please state your reasoning so I can get a clearer picture on it.

Edit:
http://earthbound.nintendo.com/message/

Anyone else get hit in the feels?

Also, what's the best method of using PKT2 on the ground? Should I let the ball fly upwards some first and then try to turn it around, or should I try making a semi-circle as soon as I start the move? I'm trying to learn how to get it down pat so I can missile myself on the ground, but I'm not able to do it all too well.
Sorry for not noticing this earlier. I'm... Not actually sure. PKT2 on the ground is exceedingly risky. Now that I think about it, I think normally I let it fly for a... Very short amount of time. Instantly doing a semi-circle will result in PKT colliding with the ground, I think.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Personally, I'd take comfort over looks, but that's just me.

Also, I have a question of my own. You see I was hoping to buy a game on the eShop, and I narrowed the choices down to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I'm not sure which to get, and I only have enough money for one. Which one would you guys/gals recommend?
I haven't played either but LOZ: Link to the past had recieved better reviews and is loved by many in comparision to minish cap. Not saying Minish Cap is bad (never played it) but in general LTTP seems like the better choice.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I haven't played either but LOZ: Link to the past had recieved better reviews and is loved by many in comparision to minish cap. Not saying Minish Cap is bad (never played it) but in general LTTP seems like the better choice.
I see your point, but I have Four Swords Adventure, which Minish Cap is supposed to be the prequel to it and the original Four Swords. So that's why it's tough for me.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I see your point, but I have Four Swords Adventure, which Minish Cap is supposed to be the prequel to it and the original Four Swords. So that's why it's tough for me.
Maybe you should try to get out of your comfort zone this one time and try something new. Being comfortable is great and all but variety is the spice of life.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
What's up guys? Back from my vacation. Thank you all for being such upstanding posters. <3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry for not noticing this earlier. I'm... Not actually sure. PKT2 on the ground is exceedingly risky. Now that I think about it, I think normally I let it fly for a... Very short amount of time. Instantly doing a semi-circle will result in PKT colliding with the ground, I think.
Ya, that's what's been happening to me a while, but I'm really just wondering if it's best to catch the opponent off guard and do it quickly, or do it slower and try to hit them when they don't expect it.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
lmao guys my ness is back. seems like i do better with an unpracticed ness than I do with characters I've been spending too many hours against CPUs with

this character is truly the gatekeeper of mid level play

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Hi people! I'm a South Florida Yoshi main, and since I play really nair-heavy and press a lot of buttons, Ness seems like the perfect secondary (he also does better against ZSS, Pika, Diddy, and Robin, all matchups I have problems with, and Yoshi beats Rosa so it's a match made in heaven, I think). Only played him for 3 days but he's feeling really natural.

Just wanted to say hello, and that I'll be lurking around looking for info, so give me the good stuff :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hi people! I'm a South Florida Yoshi main, and since I play really nair-heavy and press a lot of buttons, Ness seems like the perfect secondary (he also does better against ZSS, Pika, Diddy, and Robin, all matchups I have problems with, and Yoshi beats Rosa so it's a match made in heaven, I think). Only played him for 3 days but he's feeling really natural.

Just wanted to say hello, and that I'll be lurking around looking for info, so give me the good stuff :)
Welcome to the Ness social! Enjoy your stay.

I don't know if we've ever brought this up before, but just some small interesting fact I found about the EarthBound menus:
image.jpeg

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, for chemistry class, I had to create a mole themed off of something (6.02 times 10 to the 23rd is a unit called a mol, and tomorrow is 10-23). So I chose it to be based off of EarthBound. And let's just say, the result was pretty awesome.
image.jpeg
BOING!!!

Once I get it back and after its graded, I'm going to take off the back half of the mole to create a new backside so it's just a Mr. Saturn. :)

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
So, for chemistry class, I had to create a mole themed off of something (6.02 times 10 to the 23rd is a unit called a mol, and tomorrow is 10-23). So I chose it to be based off of EarthBound. And let's just say, the result was pretty awesome.View attachment 79476BOING!!!

Once I get it back and after its graded, I'm going to take off the back half of the mole to create a new backside so it's just a Mr. Saturn. :)
When we were kids my brother and I used to call Mr. Saturn "Mr. Mole" as we didn't know the correct name, so this is excellent lmao. Nice work.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
When we were kids my brother and I used to call Mr. Saturn "Mr. Mole" as we didn't know the correct name, so this is excellent lmao. Nice work.
Ha ha!!! Thanks man. I was originally going to try to somehow make Ness out of it, but then I figured A. It'd look weird/horrible B. I probably didn't have enough time to make him in the first place and C. Why didn't I realize that Mr. Saturn fits this soooo much better?!?!?!

Oh ya, also, I didn't get it back yet, but my teacher gave me my grade. 25/20. I forgot to mention that making a theme out of it counted as extra credit, but still, EarthBound for the grade win.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey guys. It's been some time, hasn't it!? :colorful:

This thread has stopped updating me on stuff. But, I've heard some mixed things since the patch hit. Shields being worse has probably hit Ness in one of the places where it hurts, but in return he gained one of the best rewards, that being a usable, safe(r) neutral. I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to go through the stuff I've missed, but does anyone have a good idea of where Ness is looking in the meta, both MU-wise and tier list-wise? I've heard people scoff at the notion of Ness being top 10 anymore and I don't really know what to say. I've been away for a while, so my current meta knowledge is pretty out-of-whack.

On another note, I'm currently taking a friend through Earthbound and she's in the middle of Fourside, going strong with Ness, Paula and Jeff around the level 35 area. This is a friend who started and completed Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, a 60-hour commitment, once I showed the game to her about a month ago, so I'm pretty confident she's going to finish EB and then move on to M3 *excited*

Finally, I've been hearing about Undertale recently and it's supposed to be EB/M3 levels of zany and awesome, so I'm really really hyped to try it when I get home. :3

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Undertale has a quite impressive story (understatement of the year, this game is incredible) so if you're gonna play through it I highly advise you read NOTHING about it (but remember: be nice to everybody. Or don't, it's up to you).

Ness is still OP because people don't know how to edgeguard, once that starts happening and people begin to outmaneuver him he'll begin to fall out of the toppest of top tiers but he'll always be super relevant. I don't think any matchups have changed significantly, except ZSS got better so I'm not sure it's in our favour anymore (although it was never in our favour to begin with >_>).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Been a while since we've heard from you, Lochy.

Happy Halloween everyone! I've decided against going trick or treating today, but if I can find a red and blue cap I might as well help pass out candy as our favorite PSI character.

CoolSkeleton95

Smash Rookie
Oh boy happy birthday me time to do the usual blast ghost busters and hand out candy to small children routine.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Been a while since we've heard from you, Lochy.

Happy Halloween everyone! I've decided against going trick or treating today, but if I can find a red and blue cap I might as well help pass out candy as our favorite PSI character.
Yeah its been quite awhile but I have been going to tourneys and such so I havent stopped playing smash. We should play again sometimes.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah its been quite awhile but I have been going to tourneys and such so I havent stopped playing smash. We should play again sometimes.
I've got off school on Tuesday, but I'm gonna use the day to catch up on some HW. We can probably battle later on Tuesday, near our usual time. I'll let PSI know. :)

By the way, I didn't this year, but I'm definitely gonna get a red and blue baseball cap to dress up as Ness next year and help pass out candy to all the ghosts and ghouls roaming the streets.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I've got off school on Tuesday, but I'm gonna use the day to catch up on some HW. We can probably battle later on Tuesday, near our usual time. I'll let PSI know. :)

By the way, I didn't this year, but I'm definitely gonna get a red and blue baseball cap to dress up as Ness next year and help pass out candy to all the ghosts and ghouls roaming the streets.
You need not inform me, for you already have. If I don't have too much homework I'll be there.

Also, my dog is rampant whenever someone comes to the door, but it's raining so not too many have come by. Of all the days to rain, Halloween? (Not that I go trick or treating, but others do)

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

Awesome. Im off on Tuesday aswell. I see if I can play that day. Hopefully I can :)

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Hey, everyone. I totally didn't lose alerts on this thread by missing one from August. Not at all.

That said, how is everyone?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
A trick-or-treater recognized me as Ness and asked if I mained Ness or Lucas. I feel accomplished!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, for the last few days I've been reading Darrow's work-of-art comic series "The Chosen Four" on starmen.net. That comic is just amazing. I just stopped at the point where Ness, Paula, and Jeff are going to Summers, and I'm pretty excited for what's up next, despite already knowing how the game goes. Darrow really knows how to make each moment in that comic count, especially the ones of great importance. The way he makes the characters feel and their personalities is just *at a loss for words here*. So happy I started reading it.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So I got back into playing Mother 3 and I'm finally playing as Lucas! Was wondering when I'll get to him.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm taking my friend through EB and she's literally up to just before the Cave of the Past. So excited to see her go through it (I'm going to show her where 'The Cliff that time Forgot' and 'Cave of the Past' were taken from as OSTs (('All you need is Love' and 'Deirdre' respectively as you may or may not know)) ) and go through the final battle. :D

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
So, fun facts about costoms again :
  • Full charge PK Freeze deals 26 %, is kinda slow BUT it has some crazy horizontal movement XD
  • Ness' Forward Psi Magnet deals 9 % (more than Lucas' )
  • Rising PK Flash can become active around Ness' body now and deals 8% (it still is bad tho)
  • The 3rd PK Thunder actually has an insane float effect, it can allow you to get easy Double PKT2s, only at the expense of a very small distance cut compared to the regular PKT2. Only bad thing is that it is a really bad option against counters... I would like it to get Super Armor.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Despite still not having played Mother 3 and only getting near halfway through EarthBound Beginnings, this list is sooo good and reminds me exactly why I started to like Ness and the EarthBound series in the first place:

There is very, very little video game music that bests this series' music. And I've found a few new pieces of music from Mother 3 that I quite enjoy (Really wish #6 played everytime I went into my attic...or basement for that matter). Until I actually have the time to get the stuff I need to play it, I'll just have to hope it becomes available on the e-Shop soon...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Went back into EarthBound Beginnings today, and ended my day by having Ana join my party. Next time I have the time to play, I'll have to train her up a few levels, and Nintendo and Lloyd would also benefit from some more levels. What's the maximum amount of levels for this game?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Went back into EarthBound Beginnings today, and ended my day by having Ana join my party. Next time I have the time to play, I'll have to train her up a few levels, and Nintendo and Lloyd would also benefit from some more levels. What's the maximum amount of levels for this game?
I don't know. Personally, my party was in their 30s when I beat the game, yet I've heard others were in their sixties. Probably 99 or 100 I'm guessing, though the last PSI technique learned would be Fire Omega when Ana is Level 40.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'm actually on the tail end of my own playthrough of that game. According to my research sources, Ninten and Ana both learn their final PSI skills at level 35. Lots of grinding opportunities come up at the late stage of the game (free healing services that make for a generally painless grinding session lasting as long as you want). I don't yet have them at level 35, but I'm quite close at 33, so expect late thirties before finishing the game. Ana learns skills at a blinding rate, so get used to the idea of either guarding each turn with her or using skills in place of the Fight command. How you use her and keep her alive dictates your success for most of the game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't know. Personally, my party was in their 30s when I beat the game, yet I've heard others were in their sixties. Probably 99 or 100 I'm guessing, though the last PSI technique learned would be Fire Omega when Ana is Level 40.
I'm actually on the tail end of my own playthrough of that game. According to my research sources, Ninten and Ana both learn their final PSI skills at level 35. Lots of grinding opportunities come up at the late stage of the game (free healing services that make for a generally painless grinding session lasting as long as you want). I don't yet have them at level 35, but I'm quite close at 33, so expect late thirties before finishing the game. Ana learns skills at a blinding rate, so get used to the idea of either guarding each turn with her or using skills in place of the Fight command. How you use her and keep her alive dictates your success for most of the game.
OK cool. Thanks for the info. guys.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Im close to finishing shovel knight. I'm about to play the very last level tomorrow and the game is a blast!
I got the physical release when it came out and I haven't put the game down. I switch between shovel knight and smash now.
I can't stop listening to propellor knights airship music cuz its soooo good, also fighting with all your might is awesome too.

Top Bottom