• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Subspace Emissary is better than reviewers are saying.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Would've been better if there was, say, some narrative. I don't mean speech, since Nintendo has a history of making voice acting in their games, pardon the pun, taboo. Otherwise, Subspace doesn't have much of a plot to the unobservant.

That and Tabuu is DEVILISHLY hard for me, even on easy. But the game is a luxurious platforming experience; even moreso than, say, New Super Mario Brothers. :p

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
I find that SSE does have a storyline, it's just hidden in the trophy descriptions

For instance, did you know that
Shadowbugs, The substance the badguys are made of, comes from the dark substance found within Mr. Game and watch. Tabuu found this and made the subspace army from it

Patinator

Smash Champion
I find that SSE does have a storyline, it's just hidden in the trophy descriptions

For instance, did you know that
Shadowbugs, The substance the badguys are made of, comes from the dark substance found within Mr. Game and watch. Tabuu found this and made the subspace army from it
...WOW. I did NOT know that. I never even look at my trophies; I haven't touched classic over four times, and All-Star ONCE. Wow.

1crazyboy7

Smash Rookie
Understanding the story from the cutscenes only is funny, I have no idea what goes on. Without looking over this is what I think the story is...

First of all, nintendo characters like to have friendly fights. When someone beats someone up they turn into a trophy, so after someone wins they bring them back to life...

Now for the main part

in a lake(or somewhere) 2 robs go and blow up stuff with a bomb(Oh noez!)The bombs were created at the subspace bomb factory and they are leaded by Ancient Minister(another ROB really though). for some odd reason the aincient minister feels guilty. diddy kong and donkey kong come out of nowhere and have nothing to do with the plot. Wario goes around stealing trophies, but kind dedede steals the stolen trophies. link beats up a fake peach and mario misunderstands and gets pissed(lol, I couldn't help but laugh there). Then they go to the bomb factory. Ganondorf tells the robs what to do. 50 billion bombs are going to explode now, mario and those people barely get away and the awesome music starts playing(Its so catchy I learned it on keyboard and make a piano version :p). THEN, the ancient ministers costume comes off and its really a ROB. Ganondorf also was giving bowser instructions earlier to do some stuff... Then Someone makes all your people trophies. You go to subspace to get them back. You then have to go to the great maze(Oh noez again!) For some reason this guy named tabuu is the leader and sonic horribly enters the game...you winand the bombs just somehow like go back in time or something(lulzwtf)

Yes I was trying to sound like a noob, But thats really what I got about the story :p Most of it from the titles of the cutscenes, they helped a LOT, lol.

Armygeddon Bomb

Smash Ace
I used the SSE to unlock all the characters (With the exception of Wolf, since I couldn't find him, and If I recall correctly, Marth, since I played Brawl before Subspace) and though I did rush parts of it, I must completely agree with you. It has very good boss fights, and the humor is tasteful in its moments.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
I loved SSE, but rushed to unlock everything.I may one day redo it in hard mode :p
I LOVE EXPLORING THE PLACE!!!!11!!!!1ONE!!1

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
The ancient minister ruled over "this world", A world that is similar to reality (ROB's are actual physical objects/toys here on earth). As seen in melee the Masterhand resides on final destination, a platform that travels between the fictional world of video games and reality. The Masterhand is the ruler of "this world" as he is the creator, however his reason for creation is malevolent as he forces the Nintendo characters to fight for his own enjoyment.

Tabuu, a being that resides in subspace stumbles upon Mr. Game and Watch and discovers the attributes of the black stuff inside him. this substance can be drained from Mr. Game and Watch indefinitely and can take the form of horrific creatures of it's masters whim. Using this Tabuu created the subspace army. Tabuu then proceeded to capture the Masterhand and began manipulating him like a marionette. He (posing as the Masterhand) then convinced Bowser, Gannondorf and Wario to help him capture the hero's of "This world" who were created by the Masterhand so he can make Shadow clones of them and convinced ROB to help pull this world into subspace by use of subspace bombs.

This is all I pieced together from the back story of the SSE

PCHU

Smash Lord
All I could really make out of it was simply this:
Friends. Bad guy. Sonic. Win.

Seriously, why did he just RUSH in?
He would've been great on the dark side.

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
i enjoyed SSE quite a bit, i went through on hard the first time with a friend the nite it came out. once i got about 2 hours til the end, i played by myself and some of the enemies were just gay, and the items were quite annoying when i wasnt using them. but overall, it was very fun and entertaining

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Actually i loved the last level. The Great Maze was annoying at first but then i liked it for some reason.The room before Tabuu looked awesome

Chaotix_0

Smash Apprentice
What's wrong with the Great Maze? It has a freaking map! and you have a little more choice of where to go. And you get cool little 1v1 battles every so often.

I love it :D
I played through on normal / hard the first time, and when I got to the great maze, I completed a lap through it without even trying to. Once I was back where I had started, I managed to find Taboo's centrally located room, and then it put markers where all the 1v1 fights were on my map. I'm a metroid player, I know how to use maps, and beleive me, the Great Maze is not confusing in any way.

Work towards the center to get to Taboo's room, then systematically explore every door and work towards all the flashing icons to waste all the fights. The maze is supposed to be a conglomeration of all the other stages together, so of course it's gonna take a little while, but compared to the length of Zelda and Metroid dungeons, I think it is a massive cakewalk.

Top Bottom