• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Subspace Emissary is better than reviewers are saying.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
It’s better than people are saying. You don’t like it now but you will.

So, the first thing anyone wants to do when they get smash is unlock all the characters and stages, am I right, or am I right? Well, there’s a problem. Subspace Emissary. When you first play it feels like it’s just in the way of you having everything unlocked. You play it on easy mode and rush through it. You don’t care about the story or cut scenes. You don’t pick up on the quirky humor. The monsters just seem annoying and the platforming seems tedious. You’re alone because you don’t want to play with other people until you get a lot better.

All the negative feelings toward the new adventure mode are because you want to get everything unlocked so multiplayer will be awesome. (and maybe a little because they used too few nostalgic monsters) But seriously, look back at it in a week or so. The adventure mode will be awesome with co-op. It feels like picking up Gunstar Heroes or Contra in that sense. You’ll appreciate all the interesting monsters and strategy in stickers when you’re not obsessed with unlocking characters.

The other thing I’ve noticed about the adventure mode is that characters not normally played in 1 vs 1’s are freaking amazing in Subspace. Like, I swear, the character that rocks the hardest is Yoshi. I was forced to use him (I hate Yoshi) but after I did I noticed he is major pwnage against hordes of monsters. Heck, I used Yoshi at every chance I could since. Also pikachu shocks the **** out of Ridley, and Olimar is like great for the semi-bosses. I think this is also where bad feelings might stem from. You’ll want to play your favorite characters exclusively, but characters who are usually lame like Yoshi are the best ones here. It’s odd but awesome in that sense.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I completely agree. When I got Brawl a week ago, I was like "meh, what a waste of disc space"... but yesterday, I tried it again and I can't stop playing it >_< I needed to unlock every character first.

warriorlink7

Smash Rookie
While this might apply to a lot of people, I feel left out because I didn't fit your criteria:

I played on Hard my first time through, played on co-op with a friend, and unlocked everyone there before doing mostly multiplayer. In fact, I appreciated the subtleness of the SSE's story the first time through, so... where do I fit in? =(

Duopierce

Smash Rookie
With me, actually. Same story, though I haven't beaten it yet.

Really, I was so immersed with just playing as Melee characters in the new setting that I didn't care about the new ones (yet).

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I did the exact opposite of what you're saying everyone did. So i agree with you that it is very enjoyable. I started out with the multiplayer, and have unlocked everyone i have so far through vs matches(played over 350 the night i got it...and they were all "Real" matches). Now that i have everyone(except wolf, but i don't care about him as much, and it's only like 30 more brawls until i get him) i have started the subspace emissary. My first try through, instead of blazing through it on easy, i am playing intense alone just for the challenge of it. So far it has already taken me far longer than the estimated 8-10 hours, and i'm not even halfway through(very challenging when half the enemies can one-hit-KO you). But if anyone wants to complain about disk space, they need to take it up with a lot of other pointless modes and options...like masterpieces(just too short).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One thing good about the Subspace Emissary is that you can clear the Easy level without using ANY stickers if you use the right characters.

The main issue is dealing with Tabuu in the end. I lost 4 of my 6 fighters facing him on Easy (think about how awful it would be on the higher skill levels).

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
i hated SSE from start to finish... image how good Brawl could have been had they not spent so much time on a ****tastic SP mode.
Sakurai said it was developed separately from multiplayer, so, it wouldn't have been much different I imagine.

I challenge you this. Play Melee's Adventure mode, then play Brawl's.

One thing good about the Subspace Emissary is that you can clear the Easy level without using ANY stickers if you use the right characters.

The main issue is dealing with Tabuu in the end. I lost 4 of my 6 fighters facing him on Easy (think about how awful it would be on the higher skill levels)
lol, I used the random buttom for stickers. Yeah, I beat tabuu on normal with 2 fighters. First I used Olimar, then I did most of the work and finished him with Yoshi.

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
i dont even care about the multiplayer modes cause i have 1. no wifi and 2. no friends that want to play Brawl when my wii gets back from repairs, im just gonna take my sweet time with the subspace emissary. besides, multiplayer is a hassle 4 me. :embarrass: :)

Duon

Smash Rookie
Played it on Co-op for the first time. Pretty fun. (EXCEPT FOR THE MAZE)
I loved the cutscenes. They were rewarding and plentiful.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
SSE was much better than I expected!!!

I played Subspace Emissary for about 4 hours today and is awesome. I noticed that Hard was easy, so for it to be challenging and interesting we played it on Intensive (the hardest). We had an incredible experience. The cut scenes are great and you want to continue playing. Also, every level is different and the variety of characters (and 2 player co op mode) is great. Also, I expected it would be short. But we have played for about 6 hours and we are only at 36%.

I have a question. After I finish SSE , can I replay levels with any character?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
The Subspace Emissary is awesome. Reviewers that work for corporations like CNET and IGN don't know what they're talking about, and they're not real gamers. When will people learn that?

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I take my hat at Nintendo for this. The feeling of characters knowing each other, doing cool stuff (Matrix style), working as a team to advance, and demostrating their personalities without speech, is refreshing and interesting.
Now that you say that I can also replay the game with any character. That is totally enjoyable. Gameplay and replay value to the infinite!!

The first time you play, and as many characters get joining the team, can't you use any character in the latest stages?

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I found SSE a lot better than I originally thought, I thought it would just feel so repetitive and a waste of time. I knew it was the easiest way to unlock everyone, but I wanted a more rewarding way of unlocking characters. After playing it though, it turned out to be extremely fun. Tabuu turned out to be an awesome boss to face off against. I didn't even mind the maze. It was a good addition, though I still say it could use a little voice acting...

MarvinK

Smash Rookie
I've yet to finish it, but I like it. A little light and thin, but fun nonetheless. Albeit that opinion might change when I get to that Maze level that everyone's grumbling about...

The cutscenes are AWESOME; I love seeing all the team-ups between Nintendo's finest.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ya **** right the SSE is better than what IGN calls it. This is what Melee's crappy Adventure mode should've been. Sure there's not enough Nintendo enemies and the maze is a bit of a pain but that won't stop me. I would play this again but I gotta play the other modes.

People are calling this a waste? The real waste is the Masterpieces. They're practically useless after just one try.

Smarties

Smash Rookie
I concur that it is enjoyable. It is also easy to unlock characters.

I wanted Mr. Game & Watch, and I thought 'Oy. It's probably going to take me a while to get him.'

But I unocked him in the SSE. It was a very pleasant surprise.

KEM82

Smash Rookie
I enjoyed it alot. It could of been shorter but its was a lot of fun. The boss battles were a great touch and I enjoyed battling all of them. It took me 11 hours and change to finish it while unlocking Toon Link, wolf and jigglypuff after Tabuu. Awesome job, Nintendo.;)

ReenK

Smash Rookie
The gameplay is...ok in SSE. Sometimes it gets boring. Pretty much the only thing motivating me to keep playing it is to watch the next awesome cutscene and unlock more characters. Right now I'm in the "great maze" and it sucks. Keep getting lost. <_<

It's fun to use different characters to use in the stages. I found I really like ROB after using him a lot in SSE. :D

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
What's wrong with the Great Maze? It has a freaking map! and you have a little more choice of where to go. And you get cool little 1v1 battles every so often.

I love it :D

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
It's those last 30 minutes having to backtrack to the places where you CANT teleport to kill those last few people and bosses that gets on your nerves.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
and all those useless enemies that get in your way, that's the worst part IMO.

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
The first couple reviews said that SSE MADE the game and now they are saying it is ruining it.
It's way more fun co-op btw.

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
Just a random note. I initially didn't like SSE but I forced myself to watch the first couple videos and ended up liking it. I think intense mode (or whatever it's called) is impossible though. I tried just one level and the enemies hit for 27% with light smashes. It's like cruel melee all over again.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
It might end up being fun, but without voice acting or at the very least text the story will have lost its depth and interest on me. And that sucks, because its not hard to at least add text to a game like this. Lazy Sakurai.

Its just like Adventure Mode with a few buffs and pointless cutscenes added.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The maze is tedious and annoying because it makes you retread both stages and bosses that you have already beaten. This is a major design flaw.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Yeah, I admit it. I breezed through Subspace on Easy just so I could unlock Wolf. I plan on going back and stickering my characters, and then replaying every level on intense, though.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Just a random note. I initially didn't like SSE but I forced myself to watch the first couple videos and ended up liking it. I think intense mode (or whatever it's called) is impossible though. I tried just one level and the enemies hit for 27% with light smashes. It's like cruel melee all over again.
I started on intense mode, and it is far from impossible. Though i admit it can be EXTREMELY difficult at times, it is beatable. And as far as enemies hitting for 27%, the simple solution to that is: "don't get hit!" I haven't faced the final boss yet(in fact, i'm less than halfway through the game), but i haven't used stickers at all yet so if i get stuck for too long, then those should make it doable. Sakurai himself said it was going to be nest to impossible...but not completely impossible if you keep practicing.

DarkBridge

Smash Rookie
SSE's cutscenes were great, and I'm glad Nintendo didn't worry about voice acting - their animation and style can stay in tact and improve they convey more of their story through imagery than dialogue.

However, it quickly becomes apparent that none of the characters were designed for platforming - trying to run through an obstacle course in a fighting game just doesn't work most of the time. I also ended up feeling cheated out of many lives due to strange designs, such as a very fast mining cart moving off the screen as soon as you hop in, or having to choose which hole to jump down, only to have it lead to your death.
Also, the maze is just ridiculous. Fighting ghost versions of all the characters feels like a cheap way of adding time to the adventure, and there's nothing interesting to see because every part of the maze is a similar environment to what we've seen before.

It's a good thing SSE unlocks characters and it's able to played cooperatively, or I probably never would have touched it again after the first run through. I'm glad Nintendo gave it a shot, but platforming in a fighting game just felt too tedious.

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
I love the Subspace Emissary, it's one of the reasons I bought the game, I'd like to make more friends and save the at home tourneys and such for later. Internet is helping in the friendlies but I'm more focused on having fun and the SSE helps when I am tired of either killing COMS or no one is online.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
SSE was awesome, until i found out that half of it was repeating everything you did before fighting Tabuu.

I wish there was more transition between the partnerships besides metaknight >_>

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I hated about SSE was the Elbows. you know, those monsters that are made up of horizontal lines that go out of place when you hit them, but when they manage to hit you with their weird eyebeam things they do ridiculous damage and knockback? Yeah those things... whenever they started to attack, I always lost a stock, no matter what... I hate those things... It was so satisfiying destroying each and every one of them... just knocking them clear out... :flame: GOD, I HATE THOSE THINGS SO MUCH!!

Deri

Smash Rookie
How long does it take to beat SSE on easy anyway? I suck at SSBB, but I wanna unlock everything quickly, and it looks like fun. I stopped after the Link/Yoshi level.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I actualy love the SSE, I played through it the first time on hard, and discovered how nessicary the stickers were. my only problem was how tabuu had so many OHKO moves... outside of that it was kinda fun and worth trying on harder difficulties.

Top Bottom