• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Fire Emblem Characters and what can change?

Do you like the state of the FE reps

• Yes

• No

• Don't Care

• Kind of

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
my thoughts:
Would not personally cut anyone from the roster.
HOWEVER

If I was to have more fire emblem characters in smash, I would reveal them, and then reveal Chrom as an echo last. I don't like that chrom got revealed. It's another blue haired swordfighter lord, and it's even more Awakening characters being pushed onto us when games like Echoes need reps.

Future reps: Edelgard, Camilla, Fjorm, Black Knight, Hector, Celica, Assist Trophy Tharja and Anna, Berkut and Grima as enemies for new stages and story mode
First off, FE definitely needs more casual play reps with ATs and items. Tharja and Anna will fulfill that spot.
Edelgard: an obvious choice for dlc with three houses comign next year, being one of the main characters shown in the trailer, and is a lord, sorry, ARISTOCRAT, with an axe, not a sword.
Camilla: FE smash needs more women. It needs a villain. It needs someoen who doesn't use a sword. Two out of three work for sure, and the villain option works if you made the poor choice to play birthright. She doesn't jsut use axes, she can use hammers, magic, and her dragon too.
Fjorm: Lance wielder, girl, two out of three demands by FE fans. Plus Heroes is very popular, and the newest song is from heroes, so who knows.
Black Knight: Ike echo with some different moves, villain, easy to make echo.
Celica: Semi-echo of robin, uses the same magic moves (albeit with different aesthetics and names), but has unique sword moves. In addition, the magic moves work like pichu, or in echoes, where using them does a small bit of damage to you.
Hector: popular, axe user.

Regarding Lyn:
No. Keep her as an AT. Popularity be damned, it's another swordfighter. You want a girl swordfighter whose popular? celica.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Eh Roy is a semiclone, not a full clone. The only moves Roy has that are from Marth now are some aerials (up air, nair) dancing blade, counter, his grab animations, and I guess up and down smash, but tons of Swords have that down smash and up smash is multihit, unlike Marth. Unless you call Wolf a clone, Roy shouldn't be called one either.
I think I stated in my first post that Roy was nicely Luigi-fied. But a majority of his moves are still similar to Marth/Lucina.

But Roy's hilt does separate him from other swordsman in general as it forces him to play rushdown while Marth, Ike, Cloud etc can play a more footsies game. And as long as it's a different playstyle, I'm cool with that.

Folt

Smash Ace
Wolf has Fox's nair now, and his specials are all functionally similar just like Roy. I agree that Wolf doesn't appear or play nearly as similar to Fox and Roy does to Marth, though.
Still, perhaps a better comparison to be made would be Lucas. My bad on that call.
Lucas or Falco or Ganondorf or whatever.

I mean that Lyn should have got in before Chrom in general. Like, why isn't Lyn still not in? It gets strange the more you think about it.
Not really: Lyn is extremely popular among Fire Emblem fans, but among Smash Bros. fans, she's has nowhere near the same fanbase as other characters.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm a bit mixed on the current state of playable fighters because on on hand, I do like all of the characters included as characters and wouldn't want to see them go, but on the other hand, it'd be nice to not have 4 variations Marth's moveset and have a some of the other elements of the series incorporated more.

Regardless, I really do hope Chrom isn't the only inclusion from the series this time around and would love to see at least one unique, non-sword wielding, non-Down using Special counter fighter included.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lyn maybe, but I didn't want to have yet another sword user. Hector, well, he really doesn't do much besides "swing axe". What about it is bad besides representation reasons?

I don't care that Lucina and Chrom are popular. No clones/semi-clone trash. Either make them entirely unique, or stop clogging up the works. This topic asks what can change, and that's part of the answer.
I don’t get how people can complain about sword users, then you give them an axe wielder and they complain that’s all they can do.

And cutting Chrom is not a solution because, as seen with Roy, people will just call for him to be added back.

I mean that Lyn should have got in before Chrom in general. Like, why isn't Lyn still not in? It gets strange the more you think about it.
Well, mostly timing. Brawl had Ike as the most recent, 4 was definitely not her time, and Ultimate, where relevance doesn’t matter, comes after the backlash against FE and in a game with limited slots.

What excatly are you talking about? Sakurai stated as soon as Robin was revealed in Smash WiiU/3DS that he originally considered Chrom, but he found nothing particular interesting about his tool kit so he chose Robin instead. When did I ever not say that he wasn't wanted? No one was even considering Robin as potential Awakening rep prior to his reveal.

All I said was considering that since he's a Roy echo aka a Marth clone, who like Lucina, also a Marth clone, doesn't have a sweet spot. Chrom could've easily been an alt or a premiere skin for Lucina and I don't think anyone would've complained.
You know... If you acknowledge that Chrom was and is popular, how would making him a skin satisfy anyone? You can’t imagine any of his supporters complain that, maybe, they wanted him as a playable character and not a skin?

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I just thought of Arvis as a Robin Echo and Black Knight as an Ike echo. It was glorious.

Regardless as long as Echos make sense and take little development time I am OK with there inclusion.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
You know... If you acknowledge that Chrom was and is popular, how would making him a skin satisfy anyone? You can’t imagine any of his supporters complain that, maybe, they wanted him as a playable character and not a skin?
But he would be playable. Players can select him from the CSS and Xander Mobus says "Chrom" in his big dumb announcer voice.

I don't think fans of the koopa kids are upset that they're Alts for Bowser Jr. are Alph fans upset that he's an alt for Olimar?

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
FE is one of my favorite video game series, and while I like most of the characters that Smash has added, I think that the representation is really poorly done. Every character uses a sword, which is but one form of attack in a series that relies on using many different weapons and skills. On top of that, most of the series is forgotten, with NewFE getting extremely preferble treament.

My “perfect FE roster”:

:ultmarth:- Marth is the protagonist of FE1 and FE3, and is the face of the series at large. Besides that, he represents the Lord class perfectly, with his graceful yet powerful movement. Taking Marth out of Smash would be the ultimate sin.

:ultike:- Ike is awesome. He’s one of the few characters in the series that has been a main protagonist twice, and is one of, if not the most, popular characters in the series. Also represents Tellius which is a fan favorite.

:ultrobin- Robin represents magic, which is a huge part of FE combat. He also comes from Awakening, which obviously is a very important title and should get spotlight in Smash.

Hector- a character from FE7, the most popular game from the Game Boy era and the first one to release outside of Japan. Hector would be ideal for me because he wields axes, thus filling out another missing peice of the weapon triangle. He’s also armored upon promotion, which is something we haven’t seen in Smash.

Azura- I’m still disappointed they put Corn in over her. Lance user, which not only fills out the weapon triangle but is also a weapon that no one in Smash uses... and is a dancer, which is a popular and important role in FE, AND could use water manipulation to fill out her special moves. She’s also an important character in her game of origin and used in all of it’s promotional material.

All console eras are represented except for SNES, Arvis please the main weapon triangle and magic are represented, and all characters are important and unique within the series. Instead we get an almost embarrasing amount of swordies with over half being dedicated to 3DS FE and nothing else.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Honestly I could see Black Knight being the last FE character in smash base roster.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It's disappointing how many people in here are so attached to the status quo. Maybe OP should ask this question in the Fire Emblem community threads.

Not really: Lyn is extremely popular among Fire Emblem fans, but among Smash Bros. fans, she's has nowhere near the same fanbase as other characters.
I think it's almost the opposite. There's so much demand for Lyn on these boards it's absurd, whereas most FE fans who don't have nostalgia glasses on don't care about Lyn.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
I think most people would be fine with the Fire emblem characters if they had more diverse weapons

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely no cuts, that completely goes against Ultimate's "everyone is here" mission statement.

We have four variations of Marth but we also have three variations of Link, although the Links are obviously much different. And while we do have 7 FE characters, we only really have 4 (or 4.5) FE movesets, which is much more reasonable.

As long as we don't get a unique newcomer from Fire Emblem I am fine with its representation. Marth, Roy, and Ike are good legacy Smash characters, and the rest are characters from the two most successful games in the FE series. I'm even tentatively okay with Black Knight, because at least he would be Ike 2.0 and not Marth 5.0.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@ OP

What can change?

:ultchrom: Anything can change!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The problem I have with the Fire Emblem representation is that has more representation than all but one or two franchises in the entire game. Mario has 8 characters, and Pokémon has 7 (if you roll all of Pokémon Trainer into one). Fire Emblem also now has 7, which is more than Legend of Zelda (of which half of its characters are just three different versions of Link). Franchises that have had some of the most popular games of all time for the past three decades are on par with Fire Emblem all because we apparently need to get the entire cast of Awakening in the game.

Which is why it boggles my mind that there's still people lobbying for more characters. Like how many characters is too much? 20? Should we just go full Nintendo vs. Fire Emblem and bring in every character from the series so that we can just get it over with already? There's a lot of characters I want to see in the game, too, but it's not hard to keep perspective and say something like "You know, maybe Kirby and Donkey Kong should get a chance for some new characters? Maybe when we've gotten to the point that characters from Fire Emblem games that aren't even released yet are getting put in instead of characters from other games that are, we can appreciate how much favor is already being shown?"

Of course, half of them are varying degrees of Marth clones, which can either be spun positively as "Oh, but they don't actually take up as much work so it's not like Fire Emblem truly has seven characters," or negatively in that "Half the franchise is just the same character and thus unnecessary." I know that some Fire Emblem fans are disappointed as well and say that there's more unique fighting styles to represent than just a sword.

Not that I'd want any of them to be cut for Ultimate. I'd rather absolutely everyone be in the game, even if I don't care for them, because while I hold a bit of resentment, I at least take solace in the fact that these characters do genuinely make other people happy. And as a R.O.B. main, I know what it's like to enjoy one of the characters most people consider worthy of being cut. Though at least R.O.B. is one of the most unique fighters in the game and not a sword user. Even Sakurai admits that there's too many sword wielders in video games.

Also I guess it kind of absorbs some people's anime lust, so we have to worry less about the Gokus and Narutos of the world being demanded. Fire Emblem's resurgence in popularity appears to be that it's fallen almost completely into anime tropes with its more recent games, and thus drew in the anime audience, so Fire Emblem can serve as their bastion in the Super Smash world, as opposed to less appropriate non-videogame characters.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Well if I were building the Fire Emblem roster from the ground-up, as far as playable characters go, I'd have likely included only Marth (the original hero and protagonist of 2 games), Ike (the only other FE main character to be a protagonist of 2 games... unless you're counting the different version of Fates) and Anna (most recurring Fire Emblem character who was given a playable role in Awakening and has decent importance to Heroes). Of course, if I were building the roster from the ground-up I'd have limited all series representation to 4 playable characters per series at most.

That is from the ground-up though, and we're now in an awkward situation with Fire Emblem. Out of 7 reps, it has 4 characters who are very similar, though 2 are admittedly the less-development consuming echoes. Out of those 7 reps, 3 of them represent a single game out of... roughly 13-14 game entries where almost every game has it's own setting and characters. Timing has also not been kind to the reception of these characters, as it quickly gained more reps than some series more prominent and larger than it before them, along with how the DLC inclusion of Corrin felt like blatant advertisement.

In terms of fixing this situation, well I don't feel you can properly address it without causing more problems and going against the theme of this particular SSB entry. As far as SSB4 goes, I'd have certainly not included Roy and maybe even Corrin as DLC; Roy should've been saved for Ultimate's Everyone is Here theming (which allows many of these returning clones/semi-clones to be received much more fondly and understandably). As for Corrin... they do offer a unique move-set but timing wasn't great; perhaps they'd have been better saved for Ultimate as well (though after the announcement of Ridley and King K Rool, so those less represented series have a character addition before Fire Emblem does).

As far as Ultimate goes, I wouldn't have included Chrom, even if as an Echo he doesn't take up much development time. I feel his inclusion as part of Robin's Final Smash was a nice touch and a decent way to both include him and represent a newly introduced mechanic from Awakening. Meanwhile, Chrom's inclusion in SSB further skewers the FE series representation to consist mostly of Awakening characters; if a Fire Emblem Echo character was considered to be included, it should be someone who represents an FE game not represented by one of the current characters (the Celica as a Robin Echo sounds neat, though how fitting it'd be, a non-FE fan like myself wouldn't know).

Ultimately, my solution to fixing the Fire Emblem representation problem is... nothing... for now at least. Don't include any more FE characters for now and allow for other series to either be represented or gain more reps, even if said further FE inclusions were to be Echoes. If there is DLC or a later SSB game, then consider an additional Fire Emblem character with unique move-set possibilities, and also have them as one of the later reveals. I feel this, the importance of timing, would help negate some of the negativity to the representation and amount of Fire Emblem reps in SSB.

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
I don’t get how people can complain about sword users, then you give them an axe wielder and they complain that’s all they can do.

And cutting Chrom is not a solution because, as seen with Roy, people will just call for him to be added back.
Well, from a basic thematic standpoint axes are different from swords, and I think it makes sense to have moves which the character is actually known to have access to, instead of making them up out of nowhere based on nothing. But so what, besides from a rep perspective, is wrong with such a moveset? I mean, I'm not saying it's a perfect set of specials mechanically, but that's a vastly more interesting discussion than worrying about reps.

And they'll be wrong, because that's part of the trouble with FE at the moment. No clones. Have them be skins *at most*.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
It's disappointing how many people in here are so attached to the status quo. Maybe OP should ask this question in the Fire Emblem community threads.

I think it's almost the opposite. There's so much demand for Lyn on these boards it's absurd, whereas most FE fans who don't have nostalgia glasses on don't care about Lyn.
So sorry about that I was kind of torn on were to post this. I just wanted to know the general consensus on the fire emblem characters and their future on the smash bros roster. I know that FE representation right now is divided, but I just want to know what compromises can be made to give them a better light on the smash community.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’d give FE another rep in the form of either Celica or Anna, then give Pokémon and Zelda a total of 8 reps

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Black knight for a villain, Lyn because you have a model made up, maybe one more villain, to make it a round number

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I would like to see a new character; a this point I don't care too much who would be; but I hope they are fun to play.

But if that character is Micaiah; I'll be so happy <3

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
This is something I've been thinking about for a while now! I'm glad that someone actually made a thread about this. xD

While I understand the logic of clone characters being easy to develop and being used to pander to some fans of the character, I do feel like Fire Emblem is a tad over-represented and not as diverse as it could be. Personally, I'd want to prune the series and basically re-tailor it a bit with characters that can remain on as series staples.

---

:ultmarth:Marth: He should stay. This one is a no-brainer. He was the first FE protagonist and now he's a Smash staple. I think people would rightfully riot if he got the axe.

:ultike: Ike: I'm partially biased here because Ike is my favorite video game character of all time but, as far as I recall, he's supposedly the most popular FE lord in the world. He could be the Western rep for FE if Marth is more of a Japan rep. I would change his "Eruption" special to a sword beam attack like in the games and maybe change "Aether" a bit so that when the ground hit connects, if you press "B" again, you can extend the attack further and actually complete "Aether" the way it was meant to be completed in the games.

Anna: A personal no-brainer to me. She's the series mascot and the single most recurring character. Fun fact, she's actually the most powerful too. I love the suggestion of basically making her do everything. She could be a character that doesn't normally hold any weapons but whenever she does an attack, she pulls a different one out depending on the attack (let's say a lance for her forward smash and an axe for her up smash, as an example). She could use magic with her B specials and basically just represent all of a FE as a microcosm in a single character. Maybe even do something as goofy as having her Up-B being her riding on a Pegasus. xD

Tiki: Major recurring character. They could use her Awakening model as a nod to that game being the savior of the franchise. She can turn into a dragon and offer a unique moveset that I suppose could be somewhat similar to Corrin's. However, she doesn't have a sword so that's a plus. ^^

Celica: She seems like the most popular magic user in FE and if so could potentially stand the test of time. From what I gather she would basically be like Robin so take your pick between the two I guess. Robin is from the series that saved the franchise though so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him/her instead. However, it would be nice to appeal to the fans of the series with what I imagine would be their personal choice for a magic rep. Tharja could also be a choice but I don't know how Tharja and Celica stack up against each other.

---

As a point of consistency, I would be opposed to adding more FE character purely as advertisement however if that trend must continue then I think it's fine as long as that character gets rotated out for the next advertisement character. Keep in mind this roster is only what I would go with if I were to make a "true to form" FE selection and not what I would actually do if I were in the driver's seat and developing this game. I do think the characters assembled here better represent the series and fandom on a whole, though. But that's just my personal opinion!

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
My only issue is that Corrin's default is male instead of female. This bugs me more than it should. Corrin's design screams female, she is more popular, and the other FE avatar is male.

Folt

Smash Ace
I'd have agreed with you if I didn't see quite an amount of polls regarding people's ballot picks or picks for this year. The majority of people with an investment in Smash are generally invested in other characters than Lyn.

In fact, I'd go as far and say that while Lyn fans are some of the loudest I've seen on this board, it's mostly the same people who go on and on about Lyn.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
If it was up to me at all, then we would have never put Roy and Corrin into Smash. Sakurai skipped three or four other Marth-alikes in Melee only to find out that Roy too was a Marth-alike in Binding Blade, defeating the whole purpose of not making a set for Alm or Seliph instead. Corrin is the manifestation of every child's self-insert protagonist rolled into one, a head-thuddingly aggravating little plot puppet.

Everyone else is a good inclusion - Marth because of his skill cap, and Ike/Robin/Lucina/Chrom because they're good characters. I wouldn't care to add anyone else, except maybe Fjorm if FEH somehow continues to grow, or Edelgard if she turns out good.

But Fire Emblem is really closely tied to Smash at this point, so it'd be unfair to have an Ultimate title without everything Fire Emblem that it had.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Fire Emblem hate comes from how the series got the nuts in Smash 4. All vets come back, two unique newcomers, a clone, New stages on each version, and two of the seven dlc characters.

People complaining about echos makes little sense, they don’t steal spots. If Fire Emblem has 7 chars but 2 are echos and one is a semi clone that’s fine. I believe we are getting Black Knight as an echo, which is fine.

We are gonna get Edelgard or someone from Theee Houses as DLC, real talk. Some main lord. It’s better to accept that now than making a scene.

Fire Emblem is a big series now, since Awakening it is just getting bigger. Three 3ds games, a warriors game, and a highly successful phone game. And a new game coming to switch. It makes sense to push it if people eat it up.

So, it doesn’t matter if you think there’s too much fire Emblem, we will get more. We are gonna get Black Knight because villain echo, we are gonna get Edelgard because axe. I’m not even the biggest fire emblem fan, but I know the series is getting pushed by Nintendo hard, it’s grown so much since awakening and as a result it’s probs gonna keep growing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fire Emblem is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. Chrom is, outright, my favorite Nintendo character. His inclusion this time around did more for me than any of the other newcomers put together could dream of. And considering Sakurai said he was included due to high demand, I'm not alone.

The people who say everyone would have been happy with a simple skin are way off base. And I'll be honest, I probably won't buy future Smash games if Chrom is ever cut, since it would be an absolute downgrade for me compared to Ultimate and corporate loyalty is gross.

Chrom is my absolute favorite Fire Emblem character. Marth is my fifth. Lucina's around the twenty-fifth. I'm not super fond of Ike, Robin, or Roy, but I don't dislike them. I really dislike Corrin. But at the same time I wouldn't actively wish for any of these to be excluded, because wishing for less content is a hilariously dumb thing to do.

Truth be told Fire Emblem and Pokémon are the only Nintendo franchises left with multiple new characters each that would really excite me, no matter how unlikely they are. And honestly, it's probably just because there are so many options.

Celica with a different take on the magic and swordplay combo, using elegant rapier-like strikes alongside free-hand spell casting that uses her own health as fuel. Caeda who fights while riding her pegasus and wielding her signature Wing Spear, making her a terror in the air despite her larger hurtbox, while also being incredibly fast. Merric, the first Mage in the series and Marth's childhood friend, who uses the legendary Excalibur tome to cast all sorts of anti-air wind magic. Virion, the fanciful dandy brimming with personality, whose bow strikes would do more damage the further away the foe is, showcasing how Fire Emblem archers are better at a distance. Silque, a cleric who can outright summon the ghosts of Dread Fighters to fight for her, while also using holy white magic like Seraphim. And those are just the ones that round out my seven favorites in the entire franchise, not even getting in to some of my other favorites like Tobin, Frederick, Lena, Hardin, Saber, or Minerva. Who cares how likely they are? They'd be beyond neat in Smash, even if Celica's the only one among them with a modicum of chance. And hell, I'd take all five of them over another F-Zero, Kirby, EarthBound, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, or Metroid newcomer any day of the week if given the choice.

So yeah, that's my stance on it I guess.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Fire Emblem is a big Nintendo Franchise and it would make sense they would have a good amount on the roster. At least personally, the bigger Nintendo Franchises should have the "most" in the roster. So Mario and crew, yes, they should have a big crew. Pokemon? Yep, big one too.

I can see if people may feel like, oh, another sword fighter. That one is understandable, I too would like a little more diversity too. I hand it to Sakurai for putting Chrom in as an Echo fighter and did it well. I admit I would like to see Black Knight as an Echo of Ike since he seems to be the better choice for an Fire Emblem antagonist.

As for another Echo possibility on the current roster, Celicia could be a Robin Echo that acts like Chrom and Lucina in which they don't tippers ... she does not have the Levin Sword and uses only level one spells? Hmmm ... not sure, but at least an option for another Fire Emblem Echo.

Lastly, IF there were to be any more, or future new-comer Fire Emblem characters ... I want to see more than just swordsmans ... let's see some Axe, Spear or archer characters. (Or combs of those)

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Alright, lads lets break it down. Even huge Fire Emblem fans (including myself) aren't happy with the absolute state of their representation in Smash because of how vast and full of unique classes and archetypes the series has, yet almost every new addition is the same recycled uninspired sword-wielding protagonist. This idea of the same unit being recycled has made Fire Emblem somewhat of a pariah when it to discussing potential newcomers, especially after Corrin. My proposition is rebuilding this roster from the ground up with the following:

Marth (e Lucina)

Marth is the veteran "light sword wielder" and the face of Fire Emblem for many fans. He is all that is needed to cover the basic sword lord archetype. However, I also chose to keep Lucina who is pretty much the perfect echo fighter as well as an extremely popular character on her own. This is the only echo fighter we need.

Ike

Have you ever heard anybody call Ike a "Marth clone"? Of course not. In addition to being a Smash favorite, Ike carries his own unique "heavy sword" style that puts him in a completely different class from Marth. This will be the last person using a sword.

Robin

Robin has honestly been one of my absolute favorite additions to the roster thus far because his magic-based moveset allows him to play unlike any other Fire Emblem character. Anyone who called for Robin to be cut prior to Ultimate's announcement is a lunatic without the grounds to speak on FE representation in Smash. They and Lucina together are more than enough to represent Awakening's impact on the series.

Hector

The big man himself can cover two bases being the second heavy with an axe-centric moveset as well as the popular representative of the GBA games (Lyn can stay in her capsule). In addition to simply swinging a big heavy hunk of steel, Hector's personal axe, Armads, also has elements of lightning that could be incorporated to further cement him as his own unique fighter.

Spear User

With only a single end of the triangle being in Smash at the moment, we'll need a spear user along with Hector to finish it off. The reason I held off on any specific names is that there are multiple characters that could fill this role. Standout characters such as Ephraim, Azura, and Hardin all have their own pros and cons so I would like to hear the opinions of others as to who they think is best suited for this spot.

3 Houses DLC

I'm sure people are already expecting this down the line with a new Fire Emblem game coming out in spring of 2019 and personally, I'd love to see FE back on the DLC menu. Among the characters shown in the game's E3 trailer, the one that has stood out to people in design was Edelgard. Assuming an axe is indeed her primary weapon as presented, she would be the perfect light counterpart to Hector in the same way that Marth is to Ike. Of course, since we don't know much about her or the game, I'm taking this at face value.

Why cut Corrin?

Maybe it's just my own bias but between getting in as a marketing ploy that not even Sakurai himself wanted to include, and the terrible reaction from fans that poisoned the well for not just potential Fire Emblem newcomers, but any character with an anime-esque design that wields a sword, I don't feel that their somewhat original moveset is enough to justify their further inclusion.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I think everyone uses FE as a scapegoat as to why their character didn't get in and it infuriates me personally.

The amount of reps they have is fine. If you look at the grand scheme of things they have a total of... 5 unique characters?

Two are echoes currently and took little effort to implement, and even then, Roy's moveset is derived from Marth.

Not to mention Fire Emblem was on the brink of death and has made one of the biggest comebacks in gaming history and is at the point of being one of Nintendo's most well-known IPs alongside Splatoon, Animal Crossing, and even the big names like Metroid, LoZ, and Pokemon.

Reasonings to keep every fighter?

Marth: The OG and one of the most well-known Fire Emblem characters mostly due to seniority and him being the initial Fire Emblem rep in Smash. Absolutely no reason to remove him.

Roy: Very popular within the Smash community namely, quite popular within the Fire Emblem community as well, steady popularity is what keeps him relevant so there's no reason to cut him. At the time of Melee > Brawl he was a simple cut choice because of his clone nature and the arrival of Ike.

Ike: Super popular within both communities and he's a unique Sword Fighter with many charms and fans. He was also the main character in the two Wii games that helped the series out and extended it's life long enough for Awakening to release and save the series.

Robin/Lucina/Chrom: Keep them ALL. These 3 characters may come from the exact same game, but this game SAVED the franchise from dying. These 3 have become icons for the Fire Emblem series and have very likable personalities. Robin has a unique kit and Lucina/Chrom are echoes making them easy to port over and keep in the game.

Corrin: A lot of people give this character flak for being the only 1st party DLC newcomer in Smash 4. Like I said earlier, everyone who wanted this character or that used him as a scapegoat for why their character didn't make it in. That's petty and childish. Corrin is very well deserving of a spot. He was recent at the time and his game was being hyped up a lot and was releasing soon. He got the Roy treatment. Fates sold very well and despite the mixed bag of reviews, it was an overall really good game.

We're likely going to get Three Houses as a rep for DLC. We'd have a total of 6 unique reps.(Stop counting Echoes for Christ's sake people, they're low effort inclusions and therefore don't 'take slots from other characters') That's a good number. It's not too much for the series. It deserves the representation and it has very likable and fun characters. Stop using it as a scapegoat and maybe think harder on why your character didn't make the cut.

Also, enough with the comparisons okay? "Metroid effectively has 3 reps... LoZ has 6 reps and 3 of them are Link... DK has 3 reps..." The problem with this is that those franchises rarely introduce characters that are mainstays or iconic/popular enough to warrant inclusion. We FINALLY got the 2 worthy Metroid characters, and from the looks of things we'll get Dixie Kong to go along with K. Rool. LoZ is possibly getting a couple reps as well. They're getting the reps they currently deserve.

Fire Emblem continually introduces new casts JUST like Pokemon, which... by the way, technically has a total of 9 reps and we're likely getting a 10th. So for God's sake STOP complaining and enjoy the new characters regardless.

Complaining about another series representation won't help yours get the representation you want, and if cuts happen because of this, it's only going to upset the players/fans of that series. Stop. Being. Petty.

My only issue is that Corrin's default is male instead of female. This bugs me more than it should. Corrin's design screams female, she is more popular, and the other FE avatar is male.
Yes! This bugs me so much. Even as someone that primarily used Male Corrin, the female design is far more popular and better looking. It doesn't make sense why they'd stick with Male Corrin as the default. With Robin, it makes sense. He's far more recognizable and the design works a lot better with the male version.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I agree. Nintendo seems to promote her as the primary version, such as being the one in the story in Warriors while the male version was unlockable. It's kinda odd that Smash is the only one to do it the other way around.

Of course, I prefer the male version because he sounds like a Ninja Turtle.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I agree. Nintendo seems to promote her as the primary version, such as being the one in the story in Warriors while the male version was unlockable. It's kinda odd that Smash is the only one to do it the other way around.

Of course, I prefer the male version because he sounds like a Ninja Turtle.
Well Cam Clarke did voice Leonardo in the 87 series

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I'm pretty open on being disappointed by the Fire Emblem roster more based on that whole weapon types and classes are ignored. Yes, the old "Where's the axes or lances" viewpoint. But it's true, I even count the Laguz in this as well. Ranulf was pretty important in Ike's story and was one of two characters that "roamed off" at the end with Ike to explore uncharted lands.

The issue with this is that Fire Emblem's creators themselves like to throw out blue haired, swordsmen/women as the protagonists and recently shake it up to... WHITE HAIRED instead. The issue lies more in Fire Emblem being pretty flat in their protagonists and not letting characters like (only played Ike's game) Calill, Ranulf, Jill, Stefan, Devdan, Geoffrey, or Nephenee be the stars of the game instead of another blue or white haired sword user.

Should Never Be Cut, Solid Footing On The Roster
:ultmarth: - Even if he hadn't gotten in, he deserves his place on the roster and supplied us with a very popular move set.
:ultike: - One of the few protagonists to last multiple games and had an open ended farewell to indicate he could always show up again. He was also on console and how many fans got introduced to the series as well. Very popular and unique move set.

Shakey Place On Roster
:ultroy: - This character would of likely be long forgotten if he hadn't gotten lucky in Melee. He isn't that popular in Fire Emblem, but he amassed a large popularity in the Smash community thanks to the having a flashier version of Marth's move set that many people loved. I feel he is the bigger :ultjigglypuff: being 100% lucky to get into Smash cause he was easy to make. It'd be weird to cut him now, especially with him being brought back due to high demand.
:ultrobin- Unique moveset and stands out from the rest of the Fire Emblem cast. The issue is that their moveset wasn't the biggest success story. I enjoy playing them, but I do ponder if their place is questionable as we move forward.

Thin Ice
:ultcorrin: - Not that popular overall. Sad thing is that they bring a more successful and unique look to the roster than several others. Them being blatant advertisement and paid DLC also hindered their spot on the roster. We shall see where they stack up in Ultimate.
:ultlucina: - My personal least favorite, though I never played Corrin. While Sakurai bashed Chrom as being just another Marth in Smash 4, he added the literal just another Marth but female character. Her smash popularity is shaky, but she has quite the spot in Fire Emblem's. I'm not keen on her overall, would of taken pretty much any other female Fire Emblem addition over her easily.
:ultchrom: - Meanwhile I found myself oddly happy to see Chrom get in. Maybe it's cause of his horrible treatment in Smash 4 or his more appealing outfit as the white helps make his clothes stand out among itself while many of the other Fire Emblem characters feel very one note visually. He's the 4th character based loosely off of Marth though, but I'm happy he at least gets a shot. He has pretty solid popularity overall.

If they continue to build off the same game, I'm all over keeping all of them. If they have to rebuild the game and cuts have to happen, I would like to see Fire Emblem and LoZ (3 Links is too much, at least drop Young Link) be the first to suffer some cuts.

I would think anyone's core issue with Corrin's design should be that this warrior runs around with bare feet on the battlefields. It's a very strange design choice for a rather armored looking character. Then again based on Fire Emblem characters I see from the more recent games (I only played Ike's), it does seem like they went full tilt after fetish and fan service designs.

That being said, I don't see anything in the design that indicates male or female. They are a white haired, armored character. (except feet) It's cool to like either gender of the character, but I don't really see anything about them that designates either gender over the other besides preference. Maybe it would of been a smart move to promote and feature both genders for all the split gendered characters? Male Wii Fit, Female Villager, Male Inkling, Female Robin, and Female Corrin all sharing the spotlight? Then again, there are insecure people spooked by Male Wii Fit. Maybe it's the bare feet for guys that get people riled up actually? Guys have feet to!

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Standout characters such as Ephraim, Azura, and Hardin all have their own pros and cons so I would like to hear the opinions of others as to who they think is best suited for this spot.
Ephraim is a popular lord, and because he is a spear fighter without any major gimmick, he would be a good base for alternate character costumes, unlike Azura, who has all the water powers. Also, his spear looks pretty light, so hopefully his attacks would be fast with it.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I don't really have a problem with the current number of FE reps. It wouldn't really bother me if they included more FE characters in this game.

I suppose I'm a bit biased tho

But tbh I really couldn't care less if they put in a buttload of characters from series I don't care for as well. So long as there's at least a couple of characters I'd want to play as, the rest of the roster can be whatever the ****

However, I'd have rathered that Chrom didn't make it in as a clone. There's more to the series than blue-haired sword lords and that really needs to be incorporated into FE rep in Smash. Chrom could've easily been a Marth or Lucina alt instead of an echo fighter.

Regarding Lyn:
No. Keep her as an AT. Popularity be damned, it's another swordfighter.
Have her wield Mulagir, a bow, instead. She wields it in two of her forms in FE Heroes, and it was apparently used by her father, so it wouldn't really be a problem to have her as a playable character in this game using that weapon.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Have her wield Mulagir, a bow, instead. She wields it in two of her forms in FE Heroes, and it was apparently used by her father, so it wouldn't really be a problem to have her as a playable character in this game using that weapon.
Lyn is much more known for her Sword skill than her Bow skill. She also only gets Bows upon promotion and that clashes with how FE characters are normally built.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
:ultmarth:- Okay with this character
:ultroy:- semi-okay. should be de-cloned further and I'm perfectly fine with his inclusion.
:ultike:- perfectly fine with this character.
:ultlucina:- should stay as a Marth echo.
:ultrobin- The kind of fighter that was needed to show that Fire Emblem had more going for it than sword users.
:ultcorrin:- Personally, I find this character to be a great inclusion that represents laguz/whatever you guys call them however one of the most hated due to the timing of their inclusion and the fact the game (s)he's from didn't do so well overall. However I overlook it due to the uniqueness of his/her play style and can't help but feel most of the hate Corrin receives is due to people thinking that Corrin is eating up someone else's character spot.
:ultchrom:- In a way I wanted him in deep down but... there's already 3 other characters with the same style... If Roy was decloned further maybe it could have worked out better. Plus he doesn't bring anything new to the table.

If any other FE characters get in

Hector would be the best choice. We'd get a popular axe wielding protagonist from one of the most popular games in the series. Just don't give him any form of a counter... we have enough of that. Heck, maybe even have a projectile hand axe he can throw around.

Only include a FE lord of the upcoming title if they can bring something more unique than anything above.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Yes! This bugs me so much. Even as someone that primarily used Male Corrin, the female design is far more popular and better looking. It doesn't make sense why they'd stick with Male Corrin as the default. With Robin, it makes sense. He's far more recognizable and the design works a lot better with the male version.
Exactly, the default should be how you primarily see the character. WFT, Robin, Inkling, Bowser Jr, and Villager defaults all feel right while Corrin's does not

I think Corrin would have been more liked if the default was female as it wouldn't feel as redundant. It also adds more female representation, making the female Corrin default kind of lessens that.

Folt

Smash Ace
Exactly, the default should be how you primarily see the character. WFT, Robin, Inkling, Bowser Jr, and Villager defaults all feel right while Corrin's does not

I think Corrin would have been more liked if the default was female as it wouldn't feel as redundant. It also adds more female representation, making the female Corrin default kind of lessens that.
Gonna go on a limb and say that this is because F!Corrin wasn't fully established as the popular gender of the two. Corrin appeared before that point so they went with the Male Corrin as the default... and thus won't change it.

Also doesn't help that M!Corrin appeared for the majority of Corrin's debut trailer which I think also played a very big role in establishing M!Corrin as the default for Smash, much like how the trailers for Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Bowser Jr, and Inkling established the boy, girl, boy, Bowser Jr., and girl for those characters. Otherwise, this is really only an issue of who becomes the default and thus the face of the alts, and that's not really as important to change.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Really, the only change I would've made would've been 4 years ago: Put in Azura instead of Corrin. Then we can get Edelgard in DLC and fill up the weapon triangle.

I get that Corrin is unique but I think Azura would've added so much more to the Fire Emblem selection as a whole: spears, water-bending, songs and a non-clone, non-alt female character. And the two basically share Fates' plot so it's harder to argue which is actually more important imo. But Corn is here now, and I'm not about to cut them.

I love FE (it's probably my second favorite Ninty franchise after Mario) but I really feel like the way it has been represented as turned a lot of people off because everyone looks very similar at a glance, half of the fight the same way and all of them use a sword the majority of the time. It's not what FE deserves.

I think FE gets as many characters as it does because it's games translate so well to Smash, much like the adventure games in Smash. Unlike those games though (the Zeldas and Metroids), Fire Emblem has an insane cast of popular characters due to the massive casts in each game that rotate out each time. People want FE characters because there are so many cool ones left and the pool of characters will never be empty.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I am mostly fine with how FE is repped in smash. FE has 4 unique movesets along with Roy, Lucina and Chrom as bonus characters. Some people complain that their are too many sword wielder from FE in Smash but all the protagonist sans Ephraim, Hector and Micaiah are sword users and sadly their relevancy to the series have long expired outside of Heroes. Sakurai tends to pick the main character or the person you control in the game for smash (in relation to protagonists) so the fact that all playable FE characters in Smash are sword wielding protagonists doesn't bother me because that is what the majority of FE protagonists are.

I also wouldn't mind seeing one more FE character being added just for the sake of having 8 different FE characters fighting each other in 8 player smash. Most of my favorites are in the game now such as Pokémon Trainer and Young Link who came back plus I got Chrom and some Castlevania reps so the only character I really want playable in smash at this point is Anna (she could rep the missing weapon types all by herself).

Also, not trying to sound self-entitled or anything but while it is not as big as Pokémon or Mario the Fire Emblem series does have a larger number of characters and protagonists compared to other series in Smash so of course it is going to have more reps than most of the other represented series.

Top Bottom