• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSB Poll Lounge: DLC mode engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Marth isn't the "recent protagonist" representative. Roy wouldn't be either this time around, but as I mentioned, he would be included almost strictly for fan demand.

I think there are more important aspects to look at, such as the non-sword wielders. In my opinion, I think having all sword wielders misrepresents the series.

Having four reps would solve this issue (and have me include Roy), but I also find that unlikely. Fire Emblem isn't exactly a massive series in comparison to most others, so I'd suggest three is our limit.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Marth isn't the "recent protagonist" representative. Roy wouldn't be either this time around, but as I mentioned, he would be included almost strictly for fan demand.
Roy wasn't added to be the "recent protagonist" even in Melee though. And I definitely wouldn't say he'd be added purely for fan demand.

I think there are more important aspects to look at, such as the non-sword wielders. In my opinion, I think having all sword wielders misrepresents the series.
Misrepresenting the series? You mean like not representing one of the most popular arcs of the FE line(Elibe)?

Also, if you're mean misrepresentation from a gameplay perspective, then I'll just say: lolph1r3 mechanics

Having four reps would solve this issue (and have me include Roy), but I also find that unlikely. Fire Emblem isn't exactly a massive series in comparison to most others, so I'd suggest three is our limit.
If Fire Emblem doesn't deserve 4 slots by now, then Starfox definitely doesn't deserve 3.

Also, on a side note... Here's anyone that looks to this thread and STILL sees FE being discussed:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Roy wasn't added to be the "recent protagonist" even in Melee though. And I definitely wouldn't say he'd be added purely for fan demand.
Roy hadn't even been released yet when Melee did, and he was replaced with Ike, who was easily more recent. That screams "recent protagonist" character.

Aside from that, there really doesn't seem to be much to Roy besides popularity. Sure, there's the fact that he's from a popular arc, but I'd say that's of little important because they took him out. If it mattered that much, they'd have probably kept him. You'll need a elaborate on what else there is to support him, please and thank you. (please note that I never said he's a bad choice. I just think other characters have hold more priority)

Misrepresenting the series? You mean like not representing one of the most popular arcs of the FE line(Elibe)?

Also, if you're mean misrepresentation from a gameplay perspective, then I'll just say: lolph1r3 mechanics
No, I mean misrepresenting the series. There's a lot more to Fire Emblem than the sword-users.

If Fire Emblem doesn't deserve 4 slots by now, then Starfox definitely doesn't deserve 3.
Between Brawl and now, we've had a single game and two remakes. I don't think that justifies two additional FE reps.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay guys, less FE, more poll discussion.

I really don't want to hear about Chrom or Roy again, ever.

Adding characters is about what the character brings, not "repping" your franchise. Characters are added based on their traits.

FourStar

Smash Ace
ok can we talk about pokemon? like seriously it always goes back to fire emblem and everyone pretty much knows FE will get a new rep not matter what

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sure, if it pertains to poll results.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Okay guys, less FE, more poll discussion.

I really don't want to hear about Chrom or Roy again, ever.

Adding characters is about what the character brings, not "repping" your franchise. Characters are added based on their traits.
Sorry. I forgot that this is the poll page. xD

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Alright, so Pokemon then? How do you guys like the new Mewtwo form. I am afraid that it might be forced upon us. Quite frankly I prefer Mewtwo's old form so much more. I don't know why they took away his bad-ass look and make him into some weird, weak-looking cute pokemon. I mean, IMO he should have at least retained his evil stare, that's like part of his character.

Well, enough rant. Do you guys think the new form will be forced upon us? Or will we get a way to play the old form? Opinions?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... Lucario's a little low...

I don't like that.

I think we'll be able to play as both Mewtwo's old and new form with some kind of transformation. It could be his Down B or Final Smash.

FourStar

Smash Ace
So... Lucario's a little low...

I don't like that.

I think we'll be able to play as both Mewtwo's old and new form with some kind of transformation. It could be his Down B or Final Smash.
well before brawl was released was lucario a highly demanded character to begin with? i don't remember he was so i'm guessing that's just the public opinion

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
well before brawl was released was lucario a highly demanded character to begin with? i don't remember he was so i'm guessing that's just the public opinion
I guess people just believe the "MOST RECENT POKEMON AND FE CHARACTER" misconception.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I guess people just believe the "MOST RECENT POKEMON AND FE CHARACTER" misconception.
well they are always cool but we know we will get new one no matter what so yeah. i just wanna know what people think about what the new pokemon should be cuz no one ever talks about it anymore....

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
well they are always cool but we know we will get new one no matter what so yeah. i just wanna know what people think about what the new pokemon should be cuz no one ever talks about it anymore....
Brawl Pokemon +Mewtwo/Newtwo is my preferred roster.

D

Deleted member

Lucario is as low as he is because of pessimism. Most people assume that he's going to get replaced by Mewtwo/new Pokémon because of lack of recentness despite heavy promotion from the Pokémon Company. If people didn't feel as he was going to get replaced, he would be doing a lot better.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Lucario is as low as he is because of pessimism. Most people assume that he's going to get replaced by Mewtwo/new Pokémon because of lack of recentness despite heavy promotion from the Pokémon Company. If people didn't feel as he was going to get replaced, he would be doing a lot better.
yeah you pretty much nailed it lol
Brawl Pokemon +Mewtwo/Newtwo is my preferred roster.
ummm i would like zoroark. like he would be so sick. but other than that i don't care. just don't get rid of the chu :pikachu:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Mega Man, Claus/Masked Man, Ghirahim just for his move set and second form, Lyn, Mewtwo, and Paper Mario because I wish he could replace Mr. Game & Watch.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

He's probably low because people would rather add their favorite Pokemon, and not Lucario, all while trying to not add a billion Pokemon. Unless you're smart like me and vote for every single character you want.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Regarding Pokemon characters, I think we'd be hard-pressed to actually adding anymore characters. I mean, look at what we got.

Pikachu, true Smash veteran and the series mascot. 100% likely to return.
Jigglypuff, true Smash veteran and a popular Pokemon in Japan. Almost 100% likely to return based on complete veteran status alone.
Pokemon Trainer, specifically Red, the first and most well known trainer and the only one to be fought as a late-game boss. Likely to return on part of being the famous human character of the series.
Mewtwo, the original "Most Powerful Pokemon" and one of the most well known legendaries. Considering his newfound popularity with his Awakened Forme, he's likely to return too.

So because of this, we already have the most rounded cast of Pokemon we can get. Series mascot, major Smash Bros. veteran, most famous character, and most powerful Pokemon... What else is there to really do? Anything else we add would be simply because it's popular, not because it brings anything to Smash Bros. that the rest of the Pokemon characters don't already do. All we really have is Lucario, Pichu, and Plusle/Minun, each of whom are no longer relevant to the series considering how their generations are over and new guys are around to steal the spotlight. Even Zoroark, who currently has more attention than Lucario and the chus, has lost relevancy in being a generation behind by the time SSB4 comes out. That said, nothing "popular" is justified in entering SSB4. Even those that would like to argue that Sakurai will add characters based on having unique playstyles rather than focusing on representation would be a bit off, considering we have a huge assortment of Pokemon that could easily fulfill some sort of niche in SSB4 that other characters couldn't. By that logic, we can see someone like Ferrothorn or Rotom in SSB4 on part of being unique.

So unless Lucario stays in simply from high demand and latching onto his Brawl veteran status, I fail to see Pokemon getting any sort of new characters. 4 characters is already enough when they fill up all the roles that no other Pokemon could really match up to.

Magikarp is an obvious exception to all this, that sexy beast.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Roy hadn't even been released yet when Melee did, and he was replaced with Ike, who was easily more recent. That screams "recent protagonist" character.

Aside from that, there really doesn't seem to be much to Roy besides popularity. Sure, there's the fact that he's from a popular arc, but I'd say that's of little important because they took him out. If it mattered that much, they'd have probably kept him. You'll need a elaborate on what else there is to support him, please and thank you. (please note that I never said he's a bad choice. I just think other characters have hold more priority)

No, I mean misrepresenting the series. There's a lot more to Fire Emblem than the sword-users.

Between Brawl and now, we've had a single game and two remakes. I don't think that justifies two additional FE reps.
Metroid says Hellooooooo!?!??!?? (@_@)......(-_-)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Metroid says Hellooooooo!?!??!?? (@_@)......(-_-)
Hi? Metroid has gotten a re-release (of the prime trilogy) and a new game. Metroid was large enough to have two reps in Brawl, so it's not a stretch to say that it could potentially have three reps in the next Smash. However, I, personally, only have Ridley joining Samus in my roster.

Anyway, this isn't the place to debate, so if you want, let's move it to the character roster discussion.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oww please...ZSS is as NEW...(-_-) of a rep as bloody Dr.Mario is...

I must have quoted the wrong post...sorry my bad
..someone said that if Starfox can get 3 Reps so should FE?
WA wa da Fuq?

Metroid cant crawl to have a real 2nd rep? Japan Bias at its best..thats all i can say...what else is it?

Metroid doesnt havent any popular enough or suitable characters?

Ridley too awkward or Big
Dark Samus too much of a clone?

LoWLA xD thats Bull* Lazy Dev's i could make a Dark Samus moveset that she/it would never be compared to Samus...

Ridley doesnt have good moveset potential or would be a clone of Charizard? Loooooool yh if they make him like that...and if they did/would they are beyond ********....

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Most people have accepted by this point that Lucario's a goner. Fourth gen has pretty much no relevance at this point in time. Even with the fourth Pokémon rep being Mewtwo with Awakened Mewtwo as the transformation, the fifth slot (assuming there will even be one) will belong to another sixth gen or a fifth gen representive. Generations five and six both matter more than four now.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Most people have accepted by this point that Lucario's a goner. Fourth gen has pretty much no relevance at this point in time. Even with the fourth Pokémon rep being Mewtwo with Awakened Mewtwo as the transformation, the fifth slot (assuming there will even be one) will belong to another sixth gen or a fifth gen representive. Generations five and six both matter more than four now.
But Lucario:
1.Has a fanbase unlike Pichu.
2. It still advertised more than Zoroark or any fifth gen Pokemon.
3. Lucario was used to advertise Black 2 and White 2. He's hardly irrelevant.
4. 3rd Gen got no playable character rep. So fifth gen may follow the same fate.
5. SSB4 will most likely have DLC. So even if he is excluded from the initial roster, he can still make it in.
6. If a pokemon who isn't popular or important anymore like Jigglypuff is still in, I see no reason why a popular and prominent Pokemon can remain in either.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
But Lucario:
4. 3rd Gen got no playable character rep. So fifth gen may follow the same fate.
5. SSB4 will most likely have DLC. So even if he is excluded from the initial roster, he can still make it in.
6. If a pokemon who isn't popular or important anymore like Jigglypuff is still in, I see no reason why a popular and prominent Pokemon can remain in either.
1. So did Mewtwo, but he was still removed.
2. But it's a fourth gen Pokémon.
3. So advertisement of the game matters more than its role in the game itself? People use that same argument to justify Magnus.
4. That may be because there wasn't enough room to give a slot to generation three. For SSB4, it may be the case now since we might only get four Pokémon slots. Even then, the fourth gen is still irrelevant compared to generations six and five. If gen 5 doesn't get a playable character, it will get a boss, much like with Rayquaza in Brawl.
5. I'm very unsure about DLC. I see DLC characters being a possible drain on characters for the eventual SSB5. If they add all the characters as DLC, they'll be out of choices for SSB5. Or it could only add roughly 5-10 DLC characters. In that case, it would feel like extortion and holding part of the game back. Do you think all those customers are going to take that extortion? The DLC characters would likely already be on the disc, so it would be easy to just unlock it without paying. Everyone gets screwed over.
6. Jigglypuff doesn't have much business in Smash anymore, but she's part of the original 12, popular in Japan, and is very well-established in the series. It's not a good idea to suddenly remove a playstyle that's been in multiple games. Soul Calibur V did that and everyone complained, myself included.

I think the only thing going for Lucario now is popularity, which means little on its own. Mewtwo's more popular anyway, so he should take the fourth Pokémon slot. (And I find it likely that it won't have a fifth slot in SSB4.)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
But Lucario:
1. The same could be said about Pichu in Generation III and IV, considering things like the Pichu Bros., the Spiky-Eared Pichu, Pikachu-colored Pichu, and Ukulele Pichu. He was still removed once his generation was over. If appearances like those really do matter, Pichu will make an appearance again in SSB4 by that logic, which we all know won't happen.

2. & 3. Lucario has been advertised more simply because more Generation IV material exists than Generation V. If you notice, each generation usually milks its glory for 3-4 years (R/B 1995, G/S 1999, R/S 2003, etc.), yet Generation V lasted only for 2 years, with B/W being from 2011 and X/Y starting Fall 2013. That being said, it has less to do with Lucario itself being more popular and more about how Generation IV lasted longer while it was relevant. Beyond that, Lucario has no real place in Smash Bros. beyond being a veteran from one game and a generational mascot. If Generation II or III had their own true mascots like IV and V did, chances are they would take as much priority if not more than Lucario, making his inclusion to Smash Bros. merely subjective.

4. 2nd Gen got Pichu as the closest thing to a playable rep and was replaced the next game. So fourth gen may follow the same fate. See what I did there?

5. True enough. That only solidifies more reasoning for him not making the initial cut, however.

6. Jigglypuff isn't important to the Pokemon series so much as it is to Smash Bros. Simply because of its huge veteran status, it pretty much has a get-in-free card for each game. You could remove Jigglypuff, but then you'd be removing a character that was in every game in the series prior, which seems like much more harm than help. On that note, should Luigi, Ness, or Captain Falcon get the boot, it would be almost assured that Jigglypuff would too... You know none of them will, though.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
3. So advertisement of the game matters more than its role in the game itself? People use that same argument to justify Magnus.
4. That may be because there wasn't enough room to give a slot to generation three. For SSB4, it may be the case now since we might only get four Pokémon slots. Even then, the fourth gen is still irrelevant compared to generations six and five. If gen 5 doesn't get a playable character, it will get a boss, much like with Rayquaza in Brawl.
5. I'm very unsure about DLC. I see DLC characters being a possible drain on characters for the eventual SSB5. If they add all the characters as DLC, they'll be out of choices for SSB5. Or it could only add roughly 5-10 DLC characters. In that case, it would feel like extortion and holding part of the game back. Do you think all those customers are going to take that extortion? The DLC characters would likely already be on the disc, so it would be easy to just unlock it without paying. Everyone gets screwed over.
6. Jigglypuff doesn't have much business in Smash anymore, but she's part of the original 12, popular in Japan, and is very well-established in the series. It's not a good idea to suddenly remove a playstyle that's been in multiple games. Soul Calibur V did that and everyone complained, myself included.

I think the only thing going for Lucario now is popularity, which means little on its own. Mewtwo's more popular anyway, so he should take the fourth Pokémon slot. (And I find it likely that it won't have a fifth slot in SSB.)
1.Mewtwo and Lucario were both intended to be in Brawl though. Chances are if we didn't get Sonic, we would have gotten Mewtwo and Roy instead.
2. And the fact that he's STILL being used to advertise is amazing and a testimony to how popular he is.
3. For Pokemon it does. In Pokemon games, no Pokemon aside from Legenaries are ever treated as more important to each other, so Lucario being chosen for that role is quite an honor.
4. A Generation 3 Pokemon wasn't even planned, yet Mewtwo was and he almost made it in. We play as characters. Not representatives.
5. Nintendo isn't Capcom. They are not idiots when it comes to DLC. They have never done on-disc DLC and they're smart enough to know that its a bad idea. Besides, if DLC was only used for cut veterens, I think it would go over well.
6.Jigglypuff isn't that popular in Japan anymore. Her popularity outside of smash has died. It's rarely a good idea to remove a playstyle from a series. Regardless of whether its new or old.

I think Pokemon's getting five slots this time around. It almost got five slots in Brawl. Sakurai isn't apposed to it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
1. The same could be said about Pichu in Generation III and IV, considering things like the Pichu Bros., the Spiky-Eared Pichu, Pikachu-colored Pichu, and Ukulele Pichu. He was still removed once his generation was over. If appearances like those really do matter, Pichu will make an appearance again in SSB4 by that logic, which we all know won't happen.

2. & 3. Lucario has been advertised more simply because more Generation IV material exists than Zoroark. If you notice, each generation usually milks its glory for 3-4 years (R/B 1995, G/S 1999, R/S 2003, etc.), yet Generation V lasted only for 2 years, with B/W being from 2011 and X/Y starting Fall 2013. That being said, it has less to do with Lucario itself being more popular and more about how Generation IV lasted longer while it was relevant. Beyond that, Lucario has no real place in Smash Bros. beyond being a veteran from one game and a generational mascot. If Generation II or III had their own true mascots like IV and V did, chances are they would take as much priority if not more than Lucario, making his inclusion to Smash Bros. merely subjective.

4. 2nd Gen got Pichu as the closest thing to a playable rep and was replaced the next game. So fifth gen may follow the same fate. See what I did there?

5. True enough. That only solidifies more reasoning for him not making the initial cut, however.

6. Jigglypuff isn't important to the Pokemon series so much as it is to Smash Bros. Simply because of its huge veteran status, it pretty much has a get-in-free card for each game. You could remove Jigglypuff, but then you'd be removing a character that was in every game in the series prior, which seems like much more harm than help. On that note, should Luigi, Ness, or Captain Falcon get the boot, it would be almost assured that Jigglypuff would too... You know none of them will, though.
1. I mean a fanbase in smash. Pichu is pretty much hated in the smash bros community.

2 & 3. More Gen IV material exists than Zoroark? What? Most generations while lasting longer than Gen V, aren't rarely used to advertise other gens unless there is a remake. Lucario, should have had no place in Gen V's advertisement. Yet he did. And how is being a generational mascot and a veteran a bad resume?

4. He wasn't replace. He was cut altogether with no plans of him making a return.

5. If he's in the game as a character somehow, does it really matter in the long run? :p

6.It's not a get in for free card. Jigglypuff was close to being cut in Brawl. It was a low priority character along with Wolf and Toon Link. You can look at how late it was programmed and where the data for him exists. And the thing about Luigi, Ness and Captain Falcon is that they are still quite important in their respective series. Jigglypuff hasn't been since Gen 3.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
1.Mewtwo and Lucario were both intended to be in Brawl though. Chances are if we didn't get Sonic, we would have gotten Mewtwo and Roy instead.
2. And the fact that he's STILL being used to advertise is amazing and a testimony to how popular he is.
3. For Pokemon it does. In Pokemon games, no Pokemon aside from Legenaries are ever treated as more important to each other, so Lucario being chosen for that role is quite an honor.
4. A Generation 3 Pokemon wasn't even planned, yet Mewtwo was and he almost made it in. We play as characters. Not representatives.
5. Nintendo isn't Capcom. They are not idiots when it comes to DLC. They have never done on-disc DLC and they're smart enough to know that its a bad idea. Besides, if DLC was only used for cut veterens, I think it would go over well.
6.Jigglypuff isn't that popular in Japan anymore. Her popularity outside of smash has died. It's rarely a good idea to remove a playstyle from a series. Regardless of whether its new or old.

I think Pokemon's getting five slots this time around. It almost got five slots in Brawl. Sakurai isn't apposed to it.
2. But his debut generation is no longer relevant. They cash in on his popularity to advertise, but he should have a role in the games themselves in order to stick around for Smash.

3. Lucario alone wasn't chosen for the role of advertisement, if I recall. It's been a while since I've seen the trailers, but Arcanine was in them too if I recall correctly.

4. Plusle and Minun would like to have a word with you. (Although I'm glad they were left out of the final cut. That would have been a bad idea.)

5. Touché.

6. Really? I have been told by numerous people that Jigglypuff is still popular in Japan. It's a worse idea to remove recurring and well-established play styles than relatively new ones. If Jigglypuff was cut, those who used it would take much longer to adjust and throw much louder fits than those who played as Lucario. Most people have accepted that Lucario has almost no chance of returning anyway.

I don't think it's a question of whether Sakurai wants it or not this time. I think it's an issue of how the series is already well-represented (Mascot, Starter trio, Legendary assuming Mewtwo returns) and development time issues.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think Pokémon will get 5 slots this time. Brawl Pokémon + Mewtwo would make everyone happy. So it makes sense to keep Lucario.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
2. But his debut generation is no longer relevant. They cash in on his popularity to advertise, but he should have a role in the games themselves in order to stick around for Smash.

3. Lucario alone wasn't chosen for the role of advertisement, if I recall. It's been a while since I've seen the trailers, but Arcanine was in them too if I recall correctly.

4. Plusle and Minun would like to have a word with you. (Although I'm glad they were left out of the final cut. That would have been a bad idea.)

5. Touché.

6. Really? I have been told by numerous people that Jigglypuff is still popular in Japan. It's a worse idea to remove recurring and well-established play styles than relatively new ones. If Jigglypuff was cut, those who used it would take much longer to adjust and throw much louder fits than those who played as Lucario. Most people have accepted that Lucario has almost no chance of returning anyway.

I don't think it's a question of whether Sakurai wants it or not this time. I think it's an issue of how the series is already well-represented (Mascot, Starter trio, Legendary assuming Mewtwo returns) and development time issues.
2. Lucario was put in because he was a popular request. Not to advertise. And if Lucario's generation isn't relevant than we can kick out Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Jigglypuff. Again we play as characters, not generations.
3.True. But Arcanine only appeared once throughout the trailer. Lucario appeared twice, which is more than all Gen V pokemon can say, which is ironic. The new pokemon aren't used as much to advertise the new game. :awesome:
4. "Prai_Mai" most likely wasn't Plusle and Minun. If it was there would be two files. One for Plusle and one for Minun. Just like how Popo & Nana have different files. There are other reason why, but that's the main reason.
5. Lol.
6.Nah. Da puff ain' popular no more. :( Most people think that there is a pattern when it doesn't exist. One event does not make a pattern....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I can be totally honest. I never really noticed Lucario's popularity for smash until after Brawl was out for a while. I remember people rooting for Deoxys more until he was shot down in that one update where he was confirmed to be a pokeball pokemon. But oh well, I must have missed it.

Honestly, we wont know for certain if Lucario is going to stay or Zoroark is going to come until the game is out and all the characters are revealed.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
If somebody convinces me that DLC characters will be a good idea, then I'll feel a lot better about cutting Ik... oh crap we're not supposed to talk about Fire Emblem characters anymore... YOU HEARD NOTHING
Why not just move this conversation to the roster discussion thread?

Anonymous Smasher

Smash Rookie
If somebody convinces me that DLC characters will be a good idea, then I'll feel a lot better about cutting Ik... oh crap we're not supposed to talk about Fire Emblem characters anymore... YOU HEARD NOTHING
If they decide to do DLC, they need to be very careful...like how MK9 and Injustice are doing it I'd say would be the safest route. Brand new characters not on the disc charged at a reasonably cheap price. Nintendo could incorporate a Season Pass option too, in which you'd pay for the pass, and get everything released in a season free.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
If they decide to do DLC, they need to be very careful...like how MK9 and Injustice are doing it I'd say would be the safest route. Brand new characters not on the disc charged at a reasonably cheap price. Nintendo could incorporate a Season Pass option too, in which you'd pay for the pass, and get everything released in a season free.
Sounds good. So in my roster, should I make Toon Link DLC or a costume clone? Ike and Lucario will be DLC.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Well, to help you feel better about cutting HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED, DLC characters can potentially be a great idea if done correctly.

First off, understand the fact that after a game is finished with development, there's a several week period before the game reaches stores and can actually be sold to the public. Between that time, the development team has nothing to do and profits from the game don't come rolling in for around a month or longer. It's during that 4~6 week period that some developers decide to create DLC, which gives them something to use ideas they didn't initially have time for, create additional game content for us to enjoy, and provide them with the funds to work on future games. It's a win-win for all of us when DLC is done right.

Now, apply this to DLC for Smash Bros. Nintendo has shown they're very respectful with DLC, as seen with Fire... well, you know, that game's DLC. We get additional content like characters and stages that don't make the initial cut. Sakurai and his team have time to focus on improving the game further by balancing characters as long as they need to before releasing them. The masses are kept happy and no longer crawl down Nintendo's necks insisting that we get the next Smash Bros. now, meaning they don't have to worry about delaying the game in the series in that they have all the time they need. They have more money, which can go into funding Sora's next project, be it a new game or SSB5 in general. It's a vicious cycle of benefit for both the consumers and the developers. The situation becomes a win-win for both the Smash Bros. team and the Smash Bros. community.

Convinced?

Anonymous Smasher

Smash Rookie
Sounds good. So in my roster, should I make Toon Link DLC or a costume clone? Ike and Lucario will be DLC.
Well, I believe you should ask other community members 'sides me their thoughts on this matter. Give them the details on how I feel DLC should be done and see if they'd approve. If so, ask them if they would be supportive of Toon Link be a DLC character. :)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hi? Metroid has gotten a re-release (of the prime trilogy) and a new game. Metroid was large enough to have two reps in Brawl, so it's not a stretch to say that it could potentially have three reps in the next Smash. However, I, personally, only have Ridley joining Samus in my roster.
Stop. That.

It's not about "repping a franchise". When choosing characters look at the character themself, not what symbol they fall under. No franchise right now would be "overrepped" if they got one more character. Some could even use two and be fine. (Like KI, DK, Metroid, and F-Zero)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I think the only thing going for Lucario now is popularity, which means little on its own. Mewtwo's more popular anyway, so he should take the fourth Pokémon slot. (And I find it likely that it won't have a fifth slot in SSB4.)
The only going against your argument that Mewtwo will replace Lucario, is that both were intended to be in Brawl anyway. This would mean that they could very well wind up the SSB4 together.

Nothing points towards Lucario being removed really. Zoroark isn't popular enough, and Mewtwo has basically taken all of the Gen 6 hype as the "mascot". Therefore, Mewtwo would take the 6th gen spot, and would return to the game.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Well, to help you feel better about cutting HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED, DLC characters can potentially be a great idea if done correctly.

First off, understand the fact that after a game is finished with development, there's a several week period before the game reaches stores and can actually be sold to the public. Between that time, the development team has nothing to do and profits from the game don't come rolling in for around a month or longer. It's during that 4~6 week period that some developers decide to create DLC, which gives them something to use ideas they didn't initially have time for, create additional game content for us to enjoy, and provide them with the funds to work on future games. It's a win-win for all of us when DLC is done right.

Now, apply this to DLC for Smash Bros. Nintendo has shown they're very respectful with DLC, as seen with Fire... well, you know, that game's DLC. We get additional content like characters and stages that don't make the initial cut. Sakurai and his team have time to focus on improving the game further by balancing characters as long as they need to before releasing them. The masses are kept happy and no longer crawl down Nintendo's necks insisting that we get the next Smash Bros. now, meaning they don't have to worry about delaying the game in the series in that they have all the time they need. They have more money, which can go into funding Sora's next project, be it a new game or SSB5 in general. It's a vicious cycle of benefit for both the consumers and the developers. The situation becomes a win-win for both the Smash Bros. team and the Smash Bros. community.

Convinced?
Yes. :) DLC could also work great for stages and music, mainly because there are sooo many of those. And if Waluigi became DLC, I would be free to completely ignore him! (Not that I would make him DLC, since I believe he is a very poor choice for Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom