• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Southwest Melee Thread

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Lol well if you're going to go by that then Dallas should be the capital because they have Wobbles and he just ***** us on a whole different level.

I think that overall city performance should be the thing that decides where the capital is.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Kal beat all of Houston at our last tourney, thus I think we deserve to be the Melee capital.
Plus ya know, we have an actual club (which might as well be called Melee club).
According to that logic Dallas should be the capital. They have Wobbles, Darkrain, and Do'H who are pretty much top 3 in the state. Regardless, I think Austin probably should be the capital seeing as it has the most active players, even though they aren't necessarily the most skilled in the whole state. Then again I suppose how well each respective city performs overall should be the deciding factor.

EDIT: Damn, Von beat me to it...

Jake Oscar Syba TSC Paul. This is what we've agreed upon mostly compared to how well we do in the city in general.

Broly is just moving here but that doesn't mean that he is going to represent us if we had a crew battle against RGV. They're still a viable applicant for the best overall players in Texas with Cloud and Vash in the other two slots. So maybe something like:

Broly, Vash, Fro, Cloud, and someone. For RGV

Austin is as you said most likely.

Dallas will probably win actually now that I think about it. Having Wobbles, Doh, Darkrain, and just two other people to take up the slots.

Who usually wins in AZ? I don't even know what cities y'alls players live in xD. Is Phoenix the best or just the most active?
I meant Broly repping Houston in a Houston vs Austin crew battle specifically. I'm sure he would continue repping RGV in a state wide crew battle.

As for AZ my guess would have to be like Axe, Forward, Taj, GG7, TAI, V3ctorman, etc. AZ has a ton of really good players now that I think about it.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
But that's their entire state crew. I was asking about their city crews. Like who would fight for Phoenix and Tuscon xD

And oh ok. I got you lol if that were the case then I'm pretty sure he'd fight for us then. TSC/Paul/Killa Whale would have to fight for that last slot though. Although, it'd be great if someone else could fill in (cough everyone get better pl0x)

And lol I winnn. That's what happens when you have no li...I mean troll the boards all day. You get first/quickest post.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I'll get there eventually. I'd say I'm progressing pretty fast for how long I've been playing. My first tournament was in October so thats like, what 6 months of competitive play? Give me a couple of years and maybe I'll be filling that last spot. :)

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
The Capital is not based on Skill, nor race, nor diversity O_O

It's based on the core of the melee community in that state. For instance, Axe, Taj, and Forward live in Phoenix. RubyIris, Okami, GG7, and Silly Kyle live in Tucson, I and Vectorman live in Sierra Vista. Axe is obviously the best in state, but doesn't mean Phoenix is the capital.

Tucson is the melee Capital because we hold monthlies there, it is lucrative as a Melee town as it is in the middle of the states primary population, and also because we all feel that it is. It also helps that the Melee scene dominates all of Tucson, while Brawl's Capital is in Phx. Aint dissin brawl, just giving examples.

Yall can decide what your capital is, Im just showing yall why Tucson is the Melee Capital of AZ.
To figure out the Melee Capital would be like, which city would be more apt if an OoS came into town a couple days and wanted to play. Likewise, which city has more tournaments. Which town has a monthly all the smashers get together at and play to win.

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
hey you forgot yuma lol. there was 4 of us that went to okami's monthly on october.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
But seriously Texas is way too huge for its own good, and it makes traveling out of state a real pain.
Yeah, I know right lol and people scrutinize us for not going places.
I know what you mean, its a pain especially if you live all the way down in the south part of Texas :( (I live there).

Broly is just moving here but that doesn't mean that he is going to represent us if we had a crew battle against RGV. They're still a viable applicant for the best overall players in Texas with Cloud and Vash in the other two slots. So maybe something like:

Broly, Vash, Fro, Cloud, and someone. For RGV
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed but Broly didn't move to Houston after all. Not that I represent them or anything but as for crew battle if it was the Brownsville crew I would guess it would probably be Broly, Vash, Fro, Cloud, and Pax. Not so sure about them representing RGV as a whole since there are other decent players in the Valley that can play around the same level as them but that can be debated though =/.

defsithe

Smash Ace
I think laredo/nuevo laredo should added to this list and be semi-active. They are starting to rebuild their scene, which used to fairly active (mostly on the mexico side).

And brownsville should be change the rio grande valley, and active. Brownsville only accouts for like a 1/3-1/2 of the community. But the name is only a personnel preference lol

:phone:

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
And brownsville should be change the rio grande valley, and active. Brownsville only accouts for like a 1/3-1/2 of the community. But the name is only a personnel preference lol

:phone:
I agree, Brownsville isn't the only part active down here.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, A.R.K. IV is coming up September 17th-18th in Jacksonville, AR! We are expecting ~200 people with games such as Melee, Brawl, BlazBlue:CS II, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, SSF4:AE, Street Fighter 3rd Strike: Online Edition, and more! Smashers are coming in from several states to compete!

Note that our tournament is working on securing sponsorships from well known companies which will each be providing additional prizes and bonus pots for our tournaments. The Traveling Circus has expressed interest as of this time. Also, well-known regional modder DaRabidDuckie will be on hand to provide dual mods (PS3 <-> 360) for fight sticks.

If you have ANY questions, please post on the official tournament thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308992
I'd normally respond to replies on this thread, but I'm so busy with Med. School that I don't have time. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Tucson would be GamerGuitarist7, Jetfour, Silly Kyle, OkamiBW, Rubyiris

Phoenix would be Taj, Axe, Tai, Southpaw, and Wobbles (Since he's moving back ;o)

SV and Flagstaff would most-likely free-agent since they only have like 3 players each.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
QUOTEING TO SHOW MY SIGNATURE YOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Prolly the most awesome free agency EVER. ESSSSSSSSS VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EDIT: I love in the southwest Melee thread, some d00d from Arkansas makes a post for his tournament.

How about this Scrub cakes.

Go to the tournament that is in MY signature. It is the bestest. AINT THAT RIGHT AZ!

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Go to the tournament that is in MY signature. It is the bestest. AINT THAT RIGHT AZ!
Oh damn! forgot the NYTE tourny is closing in already. Btw, personally I think The Rio Grande Valley should be changed to Active on the first post.

Top Bottom