• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Southern Ontario Power Rankings - 31/07/14 Update

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
THE NEW PR

(July 31st, 2014)
Since the last update, Southern Ontario has been the place-to-be for Brawl. Our love for Smash, our passion for competition and our eagerness to improve are stronger than ever. Here's a look at what's happened with Brawl in Ontario since the Southern Ontario Power Rankings (PR) were last updated.
  • We've had an astounding NINE tournaments since, including our first 1-stock major Get On My Level.
  • The local talent has attended multiple out-of-region events (Apex 2014, Shuffle V, Polybash, WHOBO, Major 5ashoom, SKTAR 3, multiple Hitbox Arena events & UGC Biweekly 11)
  • The legendary EMG | Leon moved here temporarily, putting the Ontario elites to the test.
  • Hometown hero and founder of EvenMatchupGaming EMG | Toronto Joe has travelled across North America, covering high-profile events such as Apex 2014, SKTAR 3, E3 2014 and EVO 2014!
  • The birth of the Vishtopia series has sparked the revival of Balanced Doubles, adding some flavour to Brawl on a weekly basis.
  • Multiple other venues in Toronto have been found for Smash, such as York U (Founder's College), Madison Avenue Pub, and GameSwap.
  • V115 (yours truly) was flown out to Kuwait to enter their first major tournament (Major 5ashoom) and to train the Kuwaiti SSBB scene.
  • For an epic weekend at Apex 2014, we were reunited with our beloved Tin Man.
With all these things considered in addition to the fact that Tin Man (and hopefully EMG | Leon as well) will soon be returning to Ontario for a permanent stay, it seems things can only be getting better from here on out if you're a Brawl player in Ontario.

The last update was a little over 6 months ago, meaning that The Power Rankings Council had a LOT of data to look at for this update. Keep in mind that although tournament results/data are fact and we (The Council) tried our best to remain as objective as possible, analysis of the results involves subjective processes such as weighing results against one another. Thus, it should be stated that the PR is by no means a 100% accurate and objective measure of an individual's skill or performance; rather, it involves opinions, is partially subjective, and is debatable.

The PR was created using results from the following tournaments (listed in chronological order)
The Council agreed that a player must have attended at least 3 of the following 6
* tournaments in order to be considered for the Power Rankings.

Dynasty Battles Special 2: Ten Desires - (Feb 15th, 2014) (bracket)
Dynasty Battles 4: Embodiment - (Mar 22nd, 2014) (bracket)
If You John You Get Maddened 2: Boot Camp - (Apr 19th, 2014) (bracket)
Get On My Level - (May 10-11, 2014) (bracket)
Dynasty Battles 5: Mystical Chain - (June 14th, 2014) (bracket)
Dynasty Battles 6: Mystic Square - (July 12th, 2014) (bracket)
Full Results Compilation Here (names not in any particular order)

* The Council agreed that, with the exception of Get On My Level, results from 1-stock tournaments would not be used for the Power Rankings. This is NOT in any way, shape, or form, in an attempt to criticize 1-stock as a ruleset or to imply that its results are invalid, inaccurate or irrelevant; both the 1-stock and 3-stock ruleset have their own merits and deserve respect. The 1-stock results were not used because The Council felt that including data from 2 drastically different metagames would produce an inaccurate and less meaningful Power Rankings (analogous to using 3-stock singles and 3-stock doubles for the PR). This in combination with the fact that the Power Rankings have traditionally been 3-stock-only led us to stick (primarily) with results from 3-stock tournaments.

** Get On My Level was used primarily for attendance purposes; otherwise, there would have been multiple notable players who would have not met the minimum attendance requirement of 3/5 3-stock tournaments. The Council also agreed that GOML results would otherwise be used if it was needed to break a tie, or for the Honourable Mentions (HM).

*** The Council agreed that results from amateur bracket at DB6 would only be used in the same scenarios as GOML results; for tiebreaks and Honourable Mentions.

IF YOU ARE USING THIS PR FOR SEEDING PURPOSES AT A MAJOR EVENT OUTSIDE OF ONTARIO
Please refrain from using just the PR to seed the players; instead, use the Full Results Compilation (hyperlinked above) for more accurate seeding.

If you are hosting an event within Ontario, we recommend that you use the PR alongside the Full Results Compilation for seeding, and keep in mind that in some cases it may be advisable to seed an HM above a PR member.

The Power Rankings Council consists of
- Chris Fisch (new!)
- EMG | Blacktwins
- Meekspeedy
- Red X
-V115
It should be noted that EMG | Toronto Joe has requested to be taken off of the Power Rankings. We (The Council) will not mention why he requested this, nor will we state where he would have been on the Power Rankings had we decided not to remove him.

So without further ado, here are the new...

SOUTHERN ONTARIO POWER RANKINGS

EMG Leon (new!) - :marth:/:peach:
Has the best overall placings, has dominating 5-1 and 4-0 records against V115 and EMG | Toronto Joe (respectively), and has no losses excluding his one loss to V115, his loss to HolyNightmare and his 0-1 record to Meekspeedy. He is placed at #0 for this season so that he can hold the title of King of Ontario until he returns.

V115 (=) - :zerosuitsamus:

Is one of the only people in the region to have a win on EMG | Leon, and has not lost to (or been outplaced by) anybody with the exceptions of EMG | Leon, EMG | Toronto Joe and HolyNightmare. Also has 2 wins on Ally, 2 wins on HolyNightmare, and placed top 8 at SKTAR 3 with wins on Denti and DEHF.

Meekspeedy (↑2) - :sonic:

Is the other person in the region (alongside V115) to have a win over EMG | Leon, making the record 1-0 in his favour. Also has a 1-0 record against Chris Fisch.

Chris Fisch (=) - :metaknight:/:diddy:

Has solid 3-0 records against EMG | Blacktwins and Poke, but has no wins against the top 3 and has 0-1 records to 2 people that were below him on the last PR; Meekspeedy and Yoh. While these losses are slightly better than Meekspeedy's 0-1 records to EMG | Blacktwins and Poke, his wins pale in comparison to Meekspeedy's, thus he remains at #3.

EMG | Blacktwins (↑1) - :popo:/:lucas:/:fox:

Generally outperforms everybody in the region aside from the aforementioned 4 and EMG | Toronto Joe. Has a 1-0 record over Meekspeedy, but has no other wins above him, has a 0-3 record against Chris Fisch, and suffers a loss to Inle.

Poke (↑3) - :falco:/:dk2:/:popo:

Like EMG | Blacktwins, he has a 1-0 record against Meekspeedy, and has a 1-0 record against Yoh who was ranked higher than him on the last update. However, he has no wins against the rest of the top 5, and he also has a loss to KillerAP, so he remains below EMG | Blacktwins.

Yoh (↑1) - :falco:

Has an impressive 1-0 record against Chris Fisch as well as a 2-0 record against Ryoko. However, he has no other wins against any higher ranked players, and suffers 0-1 records to Poke and Stroumbert, thus he is placed below Poke.

Inle (↑2) - :marth:/:rob:

Has a 1-1 record with EMG | Blacktwins, but has no other wins against the top 8 (0-6 + EMG | Toronto Joe), has a loss to Blueberry Kong and a 0-3 record against Poke. Both his wins and losses are considered slightly less impressive than those of Yoh's, so he is placed directly below Yoh.

KillerAP (new!) - :popo:

Has wins on 2 players who were ranked last season (Poke, Ryoko). His losses to Leafshadow and EMG | Blitz are what made this decision (#8 vs #9) tough. See the explanation below for details.

Blueberry Kong (new!) - :dk2:

Has a PR win in Inle, and HM wins in Leafshadow and Astro. Additionally, all his losses have been to PR members (lowest ranked of these being Inle), which is very respectable.

As it had been agreed upon earlier, results from amateurs and GOML would be used in case a tie break was needed. Factoring in GOML results gives KillerAP another win against Poke, 2 wins against LoF Troncat, and a win against CRS Hungrybox. It also gives Blueberry Kong losses to Kid Goggles and CRS Hungrybox. Amateurs, however, gives KillerAP losses to Astro and Jerk. As you can see, even with these additional results, the battle for the #8 spot is heated.

Ultimately it came down to a vote amongst the 5 Councilmen. The Council as a whole couldn't even agree on whether there was a tie in the first place; the ones that felt there was a tie factored in results from GOML and amateurs before voting, and the ones that did not feel there was a tie only looked at 3-stock pro-bracket results before voting. The vote was 3-2 in favour of KillerAP. Regardless, props to both of these players for keeping the competition around here so tight.

Ray Kalm (new!) - :marth:

Although he has no wins against anybody ranked this season or last season, he has a win over Morks and a win over Astro who was HM last season. Additionally, all his losses are to players that were on the PR last season.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
This list is composed either of players who had strong tournament accomplishments but did not meet the minimum attendance requirement for this season, or players whose tournament accomplishments were not quite strong enough to make the Power Rankings itself but still deemed worthy of recognition by The Council. Unlike the Power Rankings, the Honourable Mentions list is an unordered list.
As mentioned earlier, results from GOML and DB6 amateurs were only used for tiebreaks and HM, so they may be mentioned here but did not count for determining whether these players could be on the Power Rankings.
This season, 3 individuals made it onto the list of Honourable Mentions.

Astro - :lucario:

Has a 1-1 record against Ryoko (who was Power Ranked last season). However he suffers an 0-1 record to Ray Kalm. He was a contender for the #10 spot but his losing record to Ray Kalm left him at HM. In amateurs at DB6 he scored a win on KillerAP, and at GOML he netted a win over Inle.

Red X - :metaknight:

Was only able to attend one tournament this season, which was GOML. He makes HM off of his GOML performance alone where he defeated Astro, EMG | Blacktwins, Meekspeedy and Will!

Ryoko - :zerosuitsamus:

The other contender (alongside Astro) for the #10 spot, Ryoko has a 1-0 record against Ray Kalm and a 1-1 record against Astro. His loss to Iliad was the main thing keeping him from retaining his #10 spot.

CHALLENGER APPROACHING!
We are happy to announce the Challenger Approaching list; a section entirely new to the Power Rankings announcement that we hope you all enjoy, and one that we look forward to having on future updates as well!

Unlike the Power Rankings or the Honourable Mentions list, the Challenger Approaching list is not necessarily focused entirely on tournament results. Rather, this list is meant to give recognition to players and their efforts, whether in or out of the game.

Each member of The Council chose one player from Southern Ontario who stood out to them, in one form or another. The Councilmen then provided a brief explanation as to why they chose said player, what stood out about them, what they might expect to see in that player's future, etc. Any players that are already on the Power Rankings or the Honourable Mentions lists are ineligible for the Challenger Approaching list.
(Red X opted out of this section as he hasn't been around at tournaments/smashfests, so he felt that he wouldn't be able to pick a player)
Here are this season's Challengers Approaching! (Listed in alphabetical order by Councilmen)

EMG | Blitz - :metaknight:/:diddy:/:ike:
I picked AYO | EMG AYO Blitz cuz hes been putting in some serious work for brawl. Everytime I play that dude he's always improving and asking questions on how to get better. I haven't known Blitz long but I remember the first few times I saw him at tournaments, even though he was getting bodied harder than Frank at 60% on Halberd with a Marth present, he still kept coming back (all the way from Brampton might I add) with a strong mentality. Keep it up and you'll take names soon.

TL;DR: Determined. Good Work Ethic. Chall AF. Blitz.

- AYO | AYO CHRI

Jen - :toonlink:/:diddy:
For CA i Nominate Jen because she always gives a positive attitude near others within the community. Jen has been in the community for awhile, and knows everyone genuinely well. She always does her best at tournaments and has always shown expression of trying to get better by asking questions, playing everyone when she gets the chance & tries not to dissapoint her partners in teams. She might not have the results in yet, but slowly but surely, with the help of her Sugoi Kawaii Power Levels, she will reach the goal of becoming a top Player
[T.T.D] EMG LoF Desu l Blacktwins13-San

No~M - :toonlink:
For CA, I'm going to No~Minate No~M. He's one of the relatively newer players in our scene that has made strong showings @ both Dynasty Battles 5 and 6. Tied with Inle and Ray_Kalm at 9th place in DB5, and tied with Astro and KillerAP at DB6, (all of these players are PR'd/HM, or are going to be PR/HM) he's made strong showings recently and I'm anxious to see how he develops as a player, and performs in future events.

Megel - :sonic:/:marth:/:fox:
My Challenger Approaching for this season is going to be Megel. Making his first appearance at DB5, he has been showing up since. At neither DB5 nor DB6 did he enter, but he came solely to study and learn by watching the Ontario elites battle it out all the way to Grand Finals; something even our regulars don't stick around for, so definitely something I didn't expect from a first-timer. He also makes sure to get in tons of friendlies for practice, and he has entered multiple Balanced Doubles events (with a win under his belt!) as well as the Nintendo Enthusiast event. He seems to love pretty much everything about tournaments; the thrill of the competition, meeting new people and playing them, enjoying the atmosphere, and for somebody so new to the scene he shows a surprising amount of eagerness to learn and improve. I admire his passion and I look forward to seeing how his future in Smash will unfold.

And that's it for this season's update! Congratulations to all the players that made the Power Rankings, the Honourable Mentions list, and the Challenger Approaching list! As always, we (The Council) hope this update gives you (the reader) motivation to continue making efforts towards growing as a player, and eventually becoming the world's best. You keep the competitive Brawl scene alive and well. Hopefully, we'll see you in the next update!

(If you'd like me to list your gamer tag or as something else, or can spot any typos, let me know!)

Tin Man - :olimar: (that's right, we didn't forget!)
It's been over a year since you've entered a tournament in Ontario, and over half a year since we've seen you. Hopefully, you'll be back by the end of the next update.

THE COUNCIL HAS SPOKEN

Last edited:

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
The vote was 3 to 2 but I bet the 3 people who voted for KillerAP didn't know I have R.O.B that could body him... (a.k.a meek, Red X and V)

happy i even made it onto the PR tho

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The vote was 3 to 2 but I bet the 3 people who voted for KillerAP didn't know I have R.O.B that could body him... (a.k.a meek, Red X and V)

happy i even made it onto the PR tho
I voted for you and I've known about your ROB and I still don't think your ROB would beat him

Also it doesn't matter who we think would win in the head to head, what matters is what you've done so far in tournament. Maybe if you attended more and got some more wins under your belt, you would have gotten more votes

Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Can't wait to put Adam in a box at DB7, it's going to be nasty

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im a bit confused as to why to joe and holy arent onthis list despite being referenced so often.

Also, the next time I visit you guys I gotta make sure I get in some matches with chris fisch

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Im a bit confused as to why to joe and holy arent onthis list despite being referenced so often.

Also, the next time I visit you guys I gotta make sure I get in some matches with chris fisch
Probably attendance and the fact he isn't native to Ontario (more likely than not, attendance)

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Gratz nothing really to say.
Huge shoutout to Stef and Helldew you two are the sole reason i managed to keep going this season [and even probably the reason I was producing higher results than even what blacktwins had set for me "Yo Yosh the bosh this is your last chance you gotta place 7th" he said all gangsta like Which I proceeded to get 5th and finally took a game off of Gatekeeper Poke.]
I was actually thinking of retiring because the results I was getting was far to minuscule for my liking (this was actually a little bit before the halfway point of the season).

I also debated treating it like another thing in my life where i merely said I didn't care and I was actually extremely salty regarding the whole thing , However the ocean of salt I was feeling wasn't directed at any characters or players. It was only directed at me myself and I for being satisfied with what I had thought I earned.

Then I suppose I thought over it and I possibly realization dawned on me that I would be losing someone I love entirely (yes smashbros is my lover T.T)
Afterwards something snapped and I decided I would not accept that sort of reality and that #10 on the PR or the seemingly laughable results I was getting from what I thought I was putting in "My Best" was merely a obstacle obscuring the path to my true goal.

I don't need to be #10 to reach my goal and I've come so far so I won't turn back , I'm no longer the weak one that I was so long ago.
Congratulations RayKalm I remember seeing your performance and you definitely deserve it, It was short but it was fun being your # 10 Southern Ontario,

However it's time I move on I am aiming for much higher heights, despite the fact that this iteration will no longer be around I will move forward.
I think It's about time Samus and I start paying you guys back for those stocks you've been taking ten fold
Also I will be there tomorrow around 5 or some **** because " i get off work at 4:30" johns

P.S I've got a certain surprise for a few individuals hopefully I can keep it under wraps till I meet them in bracket.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace

Holy is on the Quebec rankings, he doesn't technically live here. The explanation for Joe is in the post.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
I voted for you and I've known about your ROB and I still don't think your ROB would beat him

Also it doesn't matter who we think would win in the head to head, what matters is what you've done so far in tournament. Maybe if you attended more and got some more wins under your belt, you would have gotten more votes
ya i thought maybe you voted for me instead of btwins but I beat his ICs in bracket so I thought he'd vote for me as the better one... Also meekspeedy and Redx dont really know who i am so they haven't really seen the boxes ive put people in

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Gratz nothing really to say.
Huge shoutout to Stef and Helldew you two are the sole reason i managed to keep going this season [and even probably the reason I was producing higher results than even what blacktwins had set for me "Yo Yosh the bosh this is your last chance you gotta place 7th" he said all gangsta like Which I proceeded to get 5th and finally took a game off of Gatekeeper Poke.]
I was actually thinking of retiring because the results I was getting was far to minuscule for my liking (this was actually a little bit before the halfway point of the season).

I also debated treating it like another thing in my life where i merely said I didn't care and I was actually extremely salty regarding the whole thing , However the ocean of salt I was feeling wasn't directed at any characters or players. It was only directed at me myself and I for being satisfied with what I had thought I earned.

Then I suppose I thought over it and I possibly realization dawned on me that I would be losing someone I love entirely (yes smashbros is my lover T.T)
Afterwards something snapped and I decided I would not accept that sort of reality and that #10 on the PR or the seemingly laughable results I was getting from what I thought I was putting in "My Best" was merely a obstacle obscuring the path to my true goal.

I don't need to be #10 to reach my goal and I've come so far so I won't turn back , I'm no longer the weak one that I was so long ago.
Congratulations RayKalm I remember seeing your performance and you definitely deserve it, It was short but it was fun being your # 10 Southern Ontario,

However it's time I move on I am aiming for much higher heights, despite the fact that this iteration will no longer be around I will move forward.
I think It's about time Samus and I start paying you guys back for those stocks you've been taking ten fold
Also I will be there tomorrow around 5 or some **** because " i get off work at 4:30" johns

P.S I've got a certain surprise for a few individuals hopefully I can keep it under wraps till I meet them in bracket.
I am happy to have kept you going but what did I even do? XD

megel

Smash Apprentice
well my name is mention on challenger approaching well v115 I'am looking forward to face you soon as soon as i will continue enter on doubles and coming soon singles at dynasty battle 7 thank you for mention on the list and i will do my best on doubles and singles for the power ranking or honor mention peace out in the words of sonic the hedgehog that's way past cool!

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
It should be noted that EMG | Toronto Joe has requested to be taken off of the Power Rankings. We (The Council) will not mention why he requested this, nor will we state where he would have been on the Power Rankings had we decided not to remove him.
As for Holy, he's neither from Ontario (he's Ally's brother and they're from Quebec, in case you didn't know) nor has he met the attendance requirement for this season (he's only attended 1 tournament), and I don't really think it makes much sense to make a visitor an HM lol

Joe's not on the PR but he's still a good win so he was mentioned

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
I bet it's because he's salty he was 2nd on the previous PR

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
don't you remember that tournament you hosted and we were commentators where I said I was thinking of going on hiatus?

zzz -_-0
Oh wait I do remember that :)

Stef is so used to being a positive influence in our community that she doesn't even realize she's doing it anymore :p
Aw shucks :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Nah im not insulting at all. You have enough people in your scene for it to be worth making a pr, which im jealous about. And even when you guys have events so often and are constantly improving. I can still hold my own against your best players.

Thats all. I got madd love for ontario yo.

No~m

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot for the challenger approaching Meekspeedy! hopefully we can friendly sometime soon. I've had a blast getting to know people better at the tourneys. Still trying to improve but I'm happy to be playing lots of people in the scene, I'm away during the school year at university but I'll be there for Dynasty Battles 7 and Nintendo Fans Unite 2.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
We usually don't update the rankings until we have at least 5 3-stock tournaments whose data we can analyze, sometimes more than 5. And since tournaments happen roughly once a month around here, and one 3-stock tournament has already happened since the update (DB7), I'd say the next update probably won't come until December

megel

Smash Apprentice
hmm i wonder new a&C world building really look like come friday I miss the old location coming a&C games is good they use to have breath of fire 3 4 for playstation but now I get is amazon.ca gift cards anyways good bye old locations leon missed this place where he win 5 times at dynasty 4 and 5 while I win at blacktopia 2 and 3 in doubles with chris and poke thank you you are our favorite place and actually my favorite place

Last edited:
Top Bottom