• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The solution to non B Stick free pulls? Plus, Ledge pulled Turnips w/o leaving stage

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I've been trying to pick up the B Stick, so I read Excel's thread on free pulling manually because I suck with B Stick :(

And I came across this

Method 2

How to do: You must first practice how to pull turnips with the C-Stick, which is done by pressing the B Button and then pressing down on the C-Stick. They need to be pressed ALMOST at the same time, but make sure you press the B Button before pressing down on the C-Stick. After you get it down, you just need to turn around normally, and then using this method of turnip pull, so you can use the Control Stick to continue with the slide.

Controller inputs are:

If Peach is standing to the left:
[→, B, C↓, →] (She will slide to the right)

If Peach is standing to the right:
[←, B, C↓, ←] (She will slide to the left)

This method was discovered by Edreese and posted long ago in a conversation between him and Niko K.

Btw I tried to do the turnip free pull with this second method out of a dash dance and it worked (and Peach received an extra boost too.) So I guess that's new.
The B button is right next to the C Stick which is extremely impractical because it requires you do to a really awkward claw...moving your fingers back to use A/X/Y is really annoying...it can be done but I found my fingers getting in a bit of a mess

So I thought - since I don't use the L button, why not change that to special? My right hand is kept in its optimum position and my left thumb is still in full control of the Control Stick because it only has to move left and right, none of that moving awkwardly down business

Give it a try. Before this, I could only free pull with about 5% consistancy. With this method, I can do it with about 85% consistancy. Push the trigger all the way down and the C Stick sharply down as well cause the C Stick can be funny at times. You may find yourself doing Down Smashes and Peach Bombers to start off with so get used to doing a Turnip pull by just standing in place and pressing L + C Stick down

I think I may have finally finished B Sticking off...sorry Meno :(

Edit: Another really random thing I found was that you can do Ledge pulled Turnips and throw them without leaving the stage

Do a ledge pull and as you're doing the Turnip pull, slam the Control Stick backwards and C Stick forwards. You'll F throw the Turnip but stay on stage

...I can't see this being very helpful because you get stuck in ground F throw animation :/
One more thing - using L for Turnip pulls allows you to much more easily start instant Floating after you've ledge pulled a Turnip so that could be useful

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Raaaaaape. Excellent work Rick!

Time to prepare for wrecking MKs and their lower-level spawn everywhere. Hehehe

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Glad its working for everyone else :p Bone Walking with this method is really dodgy though so stick to the Control Stick method :p
I just can't believe we completely overlooked this and didn't put two and two together especially after reading Excel's thread...at the time I thought 'Well that methods no good, my right hand can't reach with B button and C Stick at the same time and then quickly go back to a neutral position, they get in a mess!'
Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out what the heck to do with my L button

xD

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Finally you people are catching up to the metagame.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Silly Praxis :(

Well, you don't have to use L, you can use R or I guess Z instead...or any other button for that matter
BUT if you don't use one of the shoulder buttons, you'll have to Claw instead...which is something most people don't do and aren't comfortable with doing

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This is free pulling. As in, walking forwards/backwards whilst peforming Turnip pulls
Trying to Bone Walk with this method is like I said dodgy

Its like using the B Stick except you've got an extra button to press (L). And L is nice and easy to reach with your left finger whilst keeping your left thumb on the Control stick

I'm going to more throughly get the inputs down tomorrow but I have very high hopes for this indeed

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Soooo you can it from a neutral stance?

Thus, the first arrow does not mean dash or something, just walking/tilting/anything can be enough?

Yes, Im stupid.

:053:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Do you know how to do a free pull using the B Stick?

Its basically turnaround (don't run, so tilt the Control Stick) and then Down on the C(B) Stick. And you do a free pull

Its exactly the same method BUT you press L as well as the C Stick down (which is set to specials) because you're using the C Stick

So if Peach is facing right:

Tilt left on the Control Stick from standing position
Press Both L and the C Stick Down together at the same time - with the B Stick, you only need to press down on the C Stick
Hit the Control Stick right and you'll slide backwards to the right

And vice versa if she's facing left

I've noticed you can't do a Dashing Turnip pull by using the C Stick down + L - you just end up Peach Bombering in the direction you're dashing. So it looks like the only way you can do instant double jumped Ledge pulls is with the B Stick xD

Also - if you Ledge pull a Turnip with the Control Stick and using L for special, you can really quickly smash throw the Turnip as you fall offstage with the C Stick because your thumb isn't occupied with the B button

Edit: See OP for staying onstage whilst Ledge pulling...its not very helpful tbh xD
Although, using L allows you to much more easily start instant Floating after you've ledge pulled a Turnip so that could be useful

Two-Ell

Smash Master
This is very cool Rick. I've never considered moving the special button to another position although I have my L set to attack D: lol. I want to let everyone know now I've completely cracked the maneuver(how and why it works) after many hours of study T.T I will be publishing all of it soon. I'm pretty sure once you all understand why it works you'll be able to have an easier time learning it in conjunction of Rickerdy's stuff right here. Good job with all this though Rick. I share your pain of all the miss inputs trying to learn it D:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Good to hear :p

I've got it mastered....in 2/3 speed lol. Still a bit hit and miss in normal speed, I keep Peach Bombering or Down Smashing...its frustrating, silly C Stick being silly. I'll get some more practice in when its not so late lol

Do you know if the button + C Stick down have to be hit at the exactly the same time?

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Well with the method I'm going to be publishing once I've gotten everything together you can do this plainly with the Analog stick and the B button. My opinion for Excel's method two is that the way the game registers Bsticking is essentially gathering the Cstick down input and combining it with the 'Special' tag. When the the Cstick is under the 'Attack' tag I think maybe it can be outprioritized by a special button input if done in pretty much the exact moment. /Theorycrafting lol

Seriously though when I publish my work it should be a matter of good and steady practice before you can just pick up the controller and perform them well. Keep in mind though even though I'm going to give you guys complete understanding it's not going to be completely easy without good practice for a while as well as working it into your playstyle. At least it will not be like before where the effort/risk involved very much outweighed the benefit.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sounds likely
Well I'll be interested to see your method :p is it any easier than this one?
Just been practing it again and I've pretty much got it down now :D You really, really have to make sure the C Stick goes Down and not have any kind of diagonals. I've resorted to putting the egde of my thumb on the top part of the C Stick to ensure I smack it down without the influence of any diagonals

I also think its worth mentioning free pulling in match ups now like we do with Bone Walking...free pulling never really got mentioned cause only Meno could consistantly do it :p

Diagonals don't matter on the Control Stick because you can Crouch and still have diagonal down inputs

Oh and I lied, you can do insta 2nd jumped ledge pulls without the B Stick

:flame: JOIN US MENO :flame:​

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i need L shield so i can do all my float bs oos but i gave up R atk for turnip smashes for R special now. it's still pretty easy. this is amazing. XD

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Okay good news guys I've got all my materials together and I guarantee you all that it will be the final Free Pull thread you will see around here. I'm going to lay the entire thing out with plenty of description and a bit of eye candy. Problem is I have so much to write and from all the work today I feel like ugggghhh. I wish I could dump my mind to the page to make it easier lol. I will publish the cracked technique Friday for you all.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how on earth you guys can do this. My L and R buttons are like...ugh. I tried to get the hang of "C bouncing" and I tried to apply to Free Pull a few months ago and I had way more success with B, awkward as it may be.

Looking forward to it 2link, maybe I'll finally be able to apply free pulling to my gameplay. <3

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I just now finished writing the whole guide lol. I feel dead now from choosing to write it all up so late. I'll publish it later when I wake up lol.

Top Bottom