• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I think Hayter will voice Snake in Smash 4. I kinda like how Sutherland voices Venom Snake instead of Hayter.
That seems likely, although I wouldn't mind Sutherland. It took me a while to warm up to him while playing Phantom Pain, but once I did it felt natural, like Sutherland had always voiced Snake. He could do Snake in smash 4 but I would still prefer Hayter, like you said.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
That seems likely, although I wouldn't mind Sutherland. It took me a while to warm up to him while playing Phantom Pain, but once I did it felt natural, like Sutherland had always voiced Snake. He could do Snake in smash 4 but I would still prefer Hayter, like you said.
I think Sutherland is there to differiantiate Big Boss from Solid Snake. I would be surprised if Sutherland ever voices Solid Snake but I wouldn't be mad. It just was weird for me to see Solid Snake and Big Boss with the exact same voice (Solid is an exact clone though), this new voice actor makes up for that.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I think Sutherland is there to differiantiate Big Boss from Solid Snake. I would be surprised if Sutherland ever voices Solid Snake but I wouldn't be mad. It just was weird for me to see Solid Snake and Big Boss with the exact same voice (Solid is an exact clone though), this new voice actor makes up for that.
I never thought it strange that Solid Snake and Big Boss had the same voice, they did switch voice actors for the ending of MGS4 which is actually probably the only scene where the two have voiced dialogue together. Really I think the switch is to help build the transition of Big Boss from the somewhat idealistic geek in MGS3 to the villian we all know in love in the original MG, as well as the voice switch at the ending of MGS4.
Now I'm tearing up because thinking of MGS4.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I never thought it strange that Solid Snake and Big Boss had the same voice, they did switch voice actors for the ending of MGS4 which is actually probably the only scene where the two have voiced dialogue together. Really I think the switch is to help build the transition of Big Boss from the somewhat idealistic geek in MGS3 to the villian we all know in love in the original MG, as well as the voice switch at the ending of MGS4.
Now I'm tearing up because thinking of MGS4.
or maybe they changed his voice for a potential metal gear 1 and 2 remake? If they did remake the first two games, I wonder if Sutherland would do big boss.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The voice switch definitely wasn't to differentiate the characters, otherwise they would've changed the Japanese voice actor as well. The choice of Sutherland is something I'm fairly cynical about and I'm pretty sure Kojima only did it for the Hollywood factor (noting that it's no-loss to him because he still gets to keep Snake's main voice actor who is Japanese). I wouldn't even mind had they replaced Hayter with somebody else who kept 'something' in the voice, but Kiefer Sutherland just sounds like Jack Bauer through and through. It's really grating when a character with a distinctive voice has their voice changed to be the distinctive voice of an entirely different character. I really hope they don't use Sutherland's voice if Snake is back.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I've always tried to keep optimistic about the switch by idealistically rationalizing it. I don't think Sutherland will voice Solid Snake, I'm fairly certain that he will only voice Big Boss.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I think its actually better with Sutherland for MGS5, can anyone really imagine the Cardboard Box conversation from MGS3 with Sigint with big boss voiced by Sutherland?
Although there is supposed to be comedic moments in MGS5PP I have no idea how well it work considering the tone of the game.
Probably like a fart in a Saw movie.

Way I see it, there are two forms of MGS now.
Cartoony camp action movie MGS which is pre-MGS4
and grim dark bloody hell MGS which is MGS4 forward (Minus Peace Walker)

David Hayters Snake voice falls into the Cartoony MGS, in my opinion.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Can someone answer my question why is Metal Gear REX at the end of the Phantom Pain trailer?

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Kiefer was said to be voicing Mortal Kombat, my question is maybe he really meant this game...

as he was probably drunk so wouldn't know the difference. =p

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
According to this recent leak Falco is getting reveled this week and Snake is back!
-Lucas is cut
-Ridley is a boss
-Total roster size is 52
-Squirtle and Ivysaur are back
-Ganandorf is no longer a clone
-Supposedly lots of classic stages are returning
-Despite what has been revealed so far Battlefield WILL be in competitive mode for online
-Pichu, K Rool, and Snake are all in
-Another Capcom rep is in but is unknown
Check this out
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69503386

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
According to this recent leak Falco is getting reveled this week and Snake is back!
-Lucas is cut
-Ridley is a boss
-Total roster size is 52
-Despite what has been revealed so far Battlefield WILL be in competitive mode for online
Check this out
Hm...he later posts about wanting his topic to be deleted...well, regardless, if Falco isn't revealed this week, it's an instant bust. I don't buy it, but we'll see.

In the event that it's true, I'll just be happy because of Snake, Falco and Ganondorf. The main three veterans I want that haven't been revealed yet.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hm...he later posts about wanting his topic to be deleted...well, regardless, if Falco isn't revealed this week, it's an instant bust. I don't buy it, but we'll see.
it's believable except another Capcom rep

Snek

Smash Rookie
-Lucas is cut
-Ridley is a boss
-Total roster size is 52
Check this out
I dont like this "leak"...yeah it has snake in it but why would they cut lucas and add pichu instead?

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Pichu returning is random as hell.

Even in the alternate timeline where this leak is true and that Pichu does return over Lucas, people still think its a horrible idea.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
-Lucas is cut
-Ridley is a boss
-Total roster size is 52
Check this out
No. With only Lucas cut, this would mean the roster would be 38 (apparently all brawl characters return EXCEPT Lucas for some reason!) + 1 Pichu (Who is bad anyway. Just why?) + K Rool (Which is pretty much the only good thing in this) + 1 Capcom rep (ahaha no, that isn't happening anyway, only 1 3rd party rep per company. Besides, roster was decided a while ago so why would only this character be unknown) + the 9 newcomers we have confirmed already means... 50 characters. That doesn't account for the Gematsu leak being true though, which has 3 other characters (Shulk Chrom and Chorus Men) and brings the total to 53. (Ridley being a boss would be pretty awful anyway). By the way, how many leaks this week claim that Falco is getting revealed this week? It was a deadline in the first one but with so many outright fake leaks like this one jumping on the bandwagon of a SECRET character, it's hilarious.
So yeah, leak is pretty terrible aside from K Rool being in it, and it's fake anyway so there's no need to worry.
EDIT: derp, Snake is good too. Ganondorf getting a revamp would also be good. But aside from Ganondorf, K Rool and Snake, no.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As far as voice acting is concerned, I'd think it would be Hayter. While Kiefer Sutherland is the current voice actor (for Big Boss/Naked Snake/Vic Boss/Punished Snake/whatever they're calling him now), Hayter seems to suit the more comedic tone of Smash Bros. better. Maybe it's just due to the tone that Ground Zeroes took, but I can't really see Sutherland doing that aspect justice.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
No. With only Lucas cut, this would mean the roster would be 38 (apparently all brawl characters return EXCEPT Lucas for some reason!) + 1 Pichu (Who is bad anyway. Just why?) + K Rool (Which is pretty much the only good thing in this) + 1 Capcom rep (ahaha no, that isn't happening anyway, only 1 3rd party rep per company. Besides, roster was decided a while ago so why would only this character be unknown) + the 9 newcomers we have confirmed already means... 50 characters. That doesn't account for the Gematsu leak being true though, which has 3 other characters (Shulk Chrom and Chorus Men) and brings the total to 53. (Ridley being a boss would be pretty awful anyway). By the way, how many leaks this week claim that Falco is getting revealed this week? It was a deadline in the first one but with so many outright fake leaks like this one jumping on the bandwagon of a SECRET character, it's hilarious.
So yeah, leak is pretty terrible aside from K Rool being in it, and it's fake anyway so there's no need to worry.
EDIT: derp, Snake is good too. Ganondorf is a specific detail but would also be good. But aside from Ganondorf, K Rool and Snake, no.
I say this leak is false. Just figured I would share it with you guys. I Agree cutting Lucas for Pichu is Unacceptable. And no more Thrid Party Characters 4 is enough. Was Falco a secret character in Melee and Brawl? Can't remember

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I say this leak is false. Just figured I would share it with you guys. I Agree cutting Lucas for Pichu is Unacceptable. And no more Thrid Party Characters 4 is enough. Was Falco a secret character in Melee and Brawl? Can't remember
I'm pretty sure Falco was secret in both games, or at least unlockable. In Melee, Clear 100-Man Melee or play 300 vs. battles. In Brawl, play 50 matches, do Subspace Emissary or clear 100 man melee. So yeah, he's kind of in Captain Falcon's position in that I really don't see him being revealed early. Luigi was a special case.

Zelo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kiseop
3DS FC
3394-3786-6748
-Lucas is cut
-Ridley is a boss
-Total roster size is 52
Check this out
Haha that was a troll topic. Their original post was simply "amateur shemale ****" (Not sure if you can use foul language here) before he edited. The topic got so many posts because people didn't want him to lock the topic. :laugh:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I too am pretty cynical about the voice change. I think it's pretty clear that Kojima cast Keifer Sutherland for Hollywood brownie points. The MGS movie is slowly but surely moving out of development hell (where it belongs), and I think Kojima is sort of laying the groundwork for Keifer to play Snake or Big Boss in the movie. Plus he just wants an in with the culture he's worshipped his entire life. Keifer Sutherland is an outstanding actor, and he's doing a good job with Big Boss so far, but I will never ever see him as Snake. David Hayter is that character. It's still bizarre to me that they decided to so drastically change probably the most iconic VO in video games short of Charles Martinet. I'm still not totally convinced Hayter's out for good, and if Snake comes back to Smash, Keifer Sutherland needs to stay the hell away.

However, think of it this way. When casting calls go out for the American release of Smash (they probably already have), it's going to be Nintendo Treehouse doing the casting, not Kojima, and they probably want Hayter back just as badly as we do. I think they'll make the right call. Keifer is doing a fine job with the character but Smash Bros calls for the iconic growl of David Hayter. It would be like if we got Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man. That's not the design that made Pac-Man an icon, and Keifer Sutherland is not the voice actor that made Snake an icon.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
FYI people, the mentioned topic/leak was meant to be a toke jopic of this one. No mention of Snake anywhere.

Just saying so Snake fans don't get shocked if Falco somehow gets revealed Friday :p

(And while I'm here, #Snake4Smash4. I could tell a story about how his Brawl appearance got me into Metal Gear, but I'll save it for some other day.)

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Snake in brawl got me into metal gear, and it led to an unhealthy obsession. Okay? If he's not in Smash 4 a little part inside of me will wither up and die. It be very sad.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I agree with guys that Hayter should voice Snake in SSB4, but where is that Snake thread? We need to tweet Kojima.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think it's likely Big Boss will "Replace" Snake like Toon Link did to Young Link?

Makes Sense to me with MGSV featuring Big Boss, and the fact that Hayter might not be back (although they can just get another VA).

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Big Boss actually has more games than Snake now. It would make sense but I don't think they'd replace Snake with him, mostly because Snake is iconic and the weird mish-mash thing they did with him in brawl. And anyone who hasn't played the games would be confused as all hell, cause you know, they look exactly alike.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I think they'd stick with Solid Snake.
I think his post modern setting is friendlier than Big Boss's.

It also makes more sense for Gray Fox that way.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I agree with guys that Hayter should voice Snake in SSB4, but where is that Snake thread? We need to tweet Kojima.
The thread itself is done. It's the rest of them in the group that need to get finished, but I'm not working on those.

I recommend, if we're tweeting at Kojima, that we split up Snake and Smash 4. It would garner more of an audience if it were separate. I mean the #Snake4Smash4 is specific and would get the point across. But, something like #Snake4Smash and #Smash4 would work if used at the same time as well.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Snake is such a unique fighter, brought something different to Brawl. I think he should return, but I am not confident he will.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Do you guys think it's likely Big Boss will "Replace" Snake like Toon Link did to Young Link?

Makes Sense to me with MGSV featuring Big Boss, and the fact that Hayter might not be back (although they can just get another VA).
No! Big Boss needs to be an alternate costume. The reason why Young Link was replaced by Toon Link was because Toon Link was the recent incarnation of Link and he was kind of "Outdated", Anyway here's what I want big boss to look like as an alt.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No! Big Boss needs to be an alternate costume. The reason why Young Link was replaced by Toon Link was because Toon Link was the recent incarnation of Link and he was kind of "Outdated", Anyway here's what I want big boss to look like as an alt.
That's probably my favorite concept of big boss I loved all of the artwork for Snake Eater 3D.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
[QUOTE

That's probably my favorite concept of big boss I loved all of the artwork for Snake Eater 3D.[/QUOTE]
I want. Badly.
Yeah, they'd stick with Snake, his is the main character of MG no matter how many games BB get. I love them equally though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

That's probably my favorite concept of big boss I loved all of the artwork for Snake Eater 3D.
I want. Badly.
Yeah, they'd stick with Snake, his is the main character of MG no matter how many games BB get. I love them equally though.
I agree Solid Snake will stay the rep that's how we know him that's how he'll stay.
Fixed the Quote btw.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I too am pretty cynical about the voice change. I think it's pretty clear that Kojima cast Keifer Sutherland for Hollywood brownie points. The MGS movie is slowly but surely moving out of development hell (where it belongs), and I think Kojima is sort of laying the groundwork for Keifer to play Snake or Big Boss in the movie. Plus he just wants an in with the culture he's worshipped his entire life. Keifer Sutherland is an outstanding actor, and he's doing a good job with Big Boss so far, but I will never ever see him as Snake. David Hayter is that character. It's still bizarre to me that they decided to so drastically change probably the most iconic VO in video games short of Charles Martinet. I'm still not totally convinced Hayter's out for good, and if Snake comes back to Smash, Keifer Sutherland needs to stay the hell away.

However, think of it this way. When casting calls go out for the American release of Smash (they probably already have), it's going to be Nintendo Treehouse doing the casting, not Kojima, and they probably want Hayter back just as badly as we do. I think they'll make the right call. Keifer is doing a fine job with the character but Smash Bros calls for the iconic growl of David Hayter. It would be like if we got Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man. That's not the design that made Pac-Man an icon, and Keifer Sutherland is not the voice actor that made Snake an icon.
Can't they reuse his voice clips from brawl?

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Considering that the Japanese Colonel's VA died and they have made statements suggesting that he will not be replaced I wouldn't have much hope for many brand new codecs if the character is Solid Snake. There's ways around it sure, but I imagine it being seen as a bit of a complication.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Considering that the Japanese Colonel's VA died and they have made statements suggesting that he will not be replaced I wouldn't have much hope for many brand new codecs if the character is Solid Snake. There's ways around it sure, but I imagine it being seen as a bit of a complication.
The obvious way is to rehash the ones the colonel's VA are in and make new ones for everyone else. (or just the newcomers)

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
As much as I hate to say it They could just replace the Colonel with Raiden.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if any of the VAs have leaked any information about their involvement.

Only thing I can think of is that Keifer said he was in Mortal Kombat, but he may just simply be getting his fighting games confused (like the PSABR guy). That would mean Big Boss over Solid Snake if holding true to that speculation.

Top Bottom