• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Replacing the Colonel with Raiden (or another MGS character) seems the most simple way to do it.

Or maybe even Slippy which I would love for them to do.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
The colonel is not by far not the only contact in the games. For Snake there's Rosemary, Otacon, and Drebin from MGS4. Big Boss has Kaz, Dr. Strangelove, Huey etc. Basically anyone from Phantom Pain and Peace Walker.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why the Japanese VA dying for the Colonel would make a difference unless they just port over the Japanese VA and we don't have the codecs in English.

My logic is that they have to translate the Codecs regardless, so the Japanese Codecs and the US/Europe could just be different anyway. Similar to how different versions of Melee had different trophies (Motion Sensor Bomb etc).

They could also just cast someone else to do it in Japan.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
The colonel is not by far not the only contact in the games. For Snake there's Rosemary, Otacon, and Drebin from MGS4. Big Boss has Kaz, Dr. Strangelove, Huey etc. Basically anyone from Phantom Pain and Peace Walker.
If they was going to replace the Colonel you cant use people from Peace Walker or Phantom Pain they wouldn't work well with Solid Snake's Timeline except Kaz (Even tho Kaz was assinated during Shadow Mosses and Smash Bros is a Non- Canonical Game) Don't know much about Rosemary or Drebin. If They replace the Colonel Kaz seems the most likely choice to promote the Phantom Pain!

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
If they was going to replace the Colonel you cant use people from Peace Walker or Phantom Pain they wouldn't work well with Solid Snake's Timeline except Kaz (Even tho Kaz was assinated during Shadow Mosses and Smash Bros is a Non- CanonicalGame) Don't know much about Rosemary or Drebin. If They replace the Colonel Kaz seems the most likely choice to promote the Phantom Pain!
Colonel Campbell has been a contact since the original game, it's hard to imagine any game or codec call without him. Otacon is an obvious keep, Rosemary has been a contact in two games (MGS2 and MGS4), and Drebin is only used in MGS4. The could keep the team from MGS1 like Mai Ling. Kaz would be probably be the next likely to be used, he was a contact in MGS1 and basically any Big Boss game besides MGS3.
Or they could just use Slippy... that's good too.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
If they was going to replace the Colonel you cant use people from Peace Walker or Phantom Pain they wouldn't work well with Solid Snake's Timeline except Kaz (Even tho Kaz was assinated during Shadow Mosses and Smash Bros is a Non- Canonical Game) Don't know much about Rosemary or Drebin. If They replace the Colonel Kaz seems the most likely choice to promote the Phantom Pain!
Oh, I really like the idea of it being Kaz. Maybe they could hint that it's actually Liquid in one of the codec calls.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
But the thing is Kaz is dead. And Brawl took place after Shadow Moses?
I always die a little inside when I remember that.
(Spoilers)
Kaz died before MGS1, Liquid killed him and took his place as Snake's contact, manipulating him into activating Metal Gear Rex. But it seems like the codecs are Metal Gear Solid era style, so we could have 'Kaz' but it's really Liquid or something. Kind of like the AI Colonel in Luigi's codec, which is MGS2 and it's screw ending.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I always die a little inside when I remember that.
(Spoilers)
Kaz died before MGS1, Liquid killed him and took his place as Snake's contact, manipulating him into activating Metal Gear Rex. But it seems like the codecs are Metal Gear Solid era style, so we could have 'Kaz' but it's really Liquid or something. Kind of like the AI Colonel in Luigi's codec, which is MGS2 and it's screw ending.
They could add Kaz and Naomi to the Codec if they wanted to. Solid Snake and Colonel have a special relationship, It wouldn't feel right if Colonel is gone!

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
They could add Kaz and Naomi to the Codec if they wanted to. Solid Snake and Colonel have a special relationship, It wouldn't feel right if Colonel is gone!
Kojima said with the Japanese VA dead the character will no longer be used out of respect. So no replacement unfortunately. Campbell and Snake (Big Boss too) have a special relationship that's almost rivals Otacon. It's sad to see him gone.
Namoi and Rosemary are both options, plus Mai Ling cause she's adorable.
If they add Kaz as a 'secret Liquid' and don't put:
"Did you like my sunglasses Snake?"
I will commit murder.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Please have Naomi Hunter in the codecs. With her British accent and voice actor from the original MGS, not the Twin Snakes version.

She'd make a good commentator for Mewtwo.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Please have Naomi Hunter in the codecs. With her British accent from the original MGS, not the Twin Snakes version.

She'd make a good commentator for Mewtwo.
Please no her British accent in the original was awful.
She was faking it so bad as the same actress played MGS4's Naomi as well.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Can Someone answer my question please. I've been waiting for an answer for a long time. Is Kojima ever gonna go back with Solid Snake's Timeline after MGS5 or is it finished?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can Someone answer my question please. I've been waiting for an answer for a long time. Is Kojima ever gonna go back with Solid Snake's Timeline after MGS5 or is it finished?
It's explicitly shown in the new games that Big Boss is on his route to his villain self in the original Metal Gears.
We may end up seeing a re-imagining of the 2 Metal Gear games if he decides to continue the series after Big Boss becomes evil.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
It's explicitly shown in the new games that Big Boss is on his route to his villain self in the original Metal Gears.
We may end up seeing a re-imagining of the 2 Metal Gear games if he decides to continue the series after Big Boss becomes evil.
I would like to see the 2 Metal Gear Games remade.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I would like to see the 2 Metal Gear Games remade.
There's speculation on whether Snake will return and I'm rooting for the Metal Gear games being made into glorious 3D!
However after MGS5 Kojima's handing off the series to someone else, something he's been trying to do since like... MGS2?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's speculation on whether Snake will return and I'm rooting for the Metal Gear games being made into glorious 3D!
However after MGS5 Kojima's handing off the series to someone else, something he's been trying to do since like... MGS2?
Kojima? Handing off Metal Gear?
Gotta Link for That Quote?

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Kojima? Handing off Metal Gear?
Gotta Link for That Quote?
Uh, no. I'm sure you can find something out there.
But it's well known he's been trying to ditch the series. He tried to leave for MGS4 but DEATH THREATS aimed at Konami pulled him back to direct. MGS2 was actually supposed to be the last of the series, with the twist and open ending. That's why MGS3 is so wildly different from the other games, it was Kojima trying to find a way to continue the story and take all the tiny little thread he had made in MGS2, than finally tie them together in MGS4. He practically killed off Snake in MGS4 and Raidan's game, Metal Gear Rising, is the latest on the timeline. Which he had little part in.
Kojima's a great director and story writing, I think he needs to find a new outlet for his creativity.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Uh, no. I'm sure you can find something out there.
But it's well known he's been trying to ditch the series. He tried to leave for MGS4 but DEATH THREATS aimed at Konami pulled him back to direct. MGS2 was actually supposed to be the last of the series, with the twist and open ending. That's why MGS3 is so wildly different from the other games, it was Kojima trying to find a way to continue the story and take all the tiny little thread he had made in MGS2, than finally tie them together in MGS4. He practically killed off Snake in MGS4 and Raidan's game, Metal Gear Rising, is the latest on the timeline. Which he had little part in.
Kojima's a great director and story writing, I think he needs to find a new outlet for his creativity.
The only thing I could find about that is that he wanted to end it in those games but he himself decided against it.
He also said he's thinking about taking the next Metal Gear in a "new direction."
Nothing about him giving Metal Gear up to someone else after 5 though.
But if he did I'd hope he'd choose Naughty Dog or Nintendo.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
http://metagearsolid.org/2014/06/kojima-time-interview-motive-and-motivation/
There's interview a little bit down the page with Kojima. It's vague yet not, at the same time. I think he wants to hand it off, but how he words it sounds like he's just tricking into making the best game he can. The direct quote I'm talking about is here, if you don't want to find it:
"And this time — I’ll say it again — this is the last one. Not the last Metal Gear, but the last one I’ll work on. This is my focus when I go into working on a game. Every game I make, I create thinking it’s really, really going to be the last game I create. So I put as much as I can in and make sure I have no regrets."
Kojima has said that every single Metal Gear he has made, he thinks it's the last. Every Single one. He never intended to make a squeal to the original MG. He got back for MG2, after Snake's Revenge. I don't know he went to MGS. There's talk that he's "not done with Snake" yet, and I've heard rumor of a game with The Boss in War World 2. Like every game he makes tries to kill of the series, somehow. Still he comes back for more. What I think is that Kojima is nervous that the series will fail if he leaves, but he wants to leave. Badly. But he also has ideas for new games.
It's confusing as all hell.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
The only thing I could find about that is that he wanted to end it in those games but he himself decided against it.
He also said he's thinking about taking the next Metal Gear in a "new direction."
Nothing about him giving Metal Gear up to someone else after 5 though.
But if he did I'd hope he'd choose Naughty Dog or Nintendo.
Here's an Article back in 2005. MGS5 is the last game in the Timeline with Metal Gear REX appearing in the Phantom Pain Kojima's bridge the Gap from MGS5 to Metal Gear Solid. After MGS5 there's really nonting else to do with Big Boss or Solid Snake, Sure you can remake Metal Gear 1&2 but since fans are already remaking Metal Gear ( Konami Approves it).
I guess you can always jump into the Future with Raiden and Slice Watermelons in half!
That Article btw. http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/21/death-threats-forced-kojima-to-lead-mgs4-project/

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Here's an Article back in 2005. MGS5 is the last game in the Timeline with Metal Gear REX appearing in the Phantom Pain Kojima's bridge the Gap from MGS5 to Metal Gear Solid.
Thats not rex, it may look similar but the events of shadow mosses took place in 2005 where as TPP is in 84, and with MG1 and MG2 yet to happen we still have a few models of metal gear even before that. Including metal gear D, and the TX-55. Kojima could have either reconed them, or had them fully redesigned, especially with the tech we now know they had around during peace walker. So it might be another transition model like zeke was

----
As far as the naked snake or solid snake debate goes, ive said my peace many times. And that i would rather have naked be the default this time, since he brings leagues more to the table while still remaining the character of snake. And most of all for the codecs it would feel a bit weird for solid to get intel again on the same characters hes already battled, which is why along with kaz, chico (who is also voiced by anthony del rio like pit) and many more, this snake would have a new cast and reason to learn about all the past characters with a new perspective and new personalities to reflect on each character.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Thats not rex, it may look similar but the events of shadow mosses took place in 2005 where as TPP is in 84, and with MG1 and MG2 yet to happen we still have a few models of metal gear even before that. Including metal gear D, and the TX-55. Kojima could have either reconed them, or had them fully redesigned, especially with the tech we now know they had around during peace walker. So it might be another transition model like zeke was

----
As far as the naked snake or solid snake debate goes, ive said my peace many times. And that i would rather have naked be the default this time, since he brings leagues more to the table while still remaining the character of snake. And most of all for the codecs it would feel a bit weird for solid to get intel again on the same characters hes already battled, which is why along with kaz, chico (who is also voiced by anthony del rio like pit) and many more, this snake would have a new cast and reason to learn about all the past characters with a new perspective and new personalities to reflect on each character.
Metal Gear is slowly reaching it's end and there's only so much pushing for story you can do before the writing gets bad. I don't really care if it's Big Boss or Solid Snake, both are Snake. Snake is Snake. If you have 'Solid Snake' but have a hints of Naked Snake's design and his contact teams, I would be fine. But if we're going to look at Peace Walker contacts, we better have Paz. Cause like Mai Ling, she's adorable.
If a bit... nuts.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Kojima has wanted out for a while.
The franchise still has options though:

- MG & MG2 Remake
- Boss and Cobras Prequel to MGS3 (Kojima Mentioned)
- Raiden in between 2 & 4 (Initial Rising)
- Gray Fox Between MG2 and MGS (Kojimas Rising)
- Raiden after Rising

Also possible that Kojima would omit rising entirely and do his own post MGS4 thing if he needs to.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Yeah, Kojima has wanted out for a while.
The franchise still has options though:

- MG & MG2 Remake
- Boss and Cobras Prequel to MGS3 (Kojima Mentioned)
- Raiden in between 2 & 4 (Initial Rising)
- Gray Fox Between MG2 and MGS (Kojimas Rising)
- Raiden after Rising

Also possible that Kojima would omit rising entirely and do his own post MGS4 thing if he needs to.
I feel like MGS4 is the conclusion for the series, every thing has been wrapped in a nice little package with a pretty little bow. That's why we had like ten hours worth of cutscenes in the first place. I would love to see more Snake and the others, but writing it could be hard without backpedaling completely.
Prequels and remakes are always welcome.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As I've said, the thread is done. As far as I know, the group itself should be close to being done, so I'll probably be throwing a thread up in the next few days to get people more interested in the whole thing. Should be interesting.

I'll post a link to it in here when I make it.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
As I've said, the thread is done. As far as I know, the group itself should be close to being done, so I'll probably be throwing a thread up in the next few days to get people more interested in the whole thing. Should be interesting.

I'll post a link to it in here when I make it.
I really like what you guys are doing with trying to gather up support for Snake, I remember the anxiety of waiting for Zelda to be confirmed and all that. If I had a twitter I would totally tweet Sakurai.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So how goes the tweeting? Any news from other websites?
I haven't done any tweeting yet, nor have I spread the news to other sites. I would if I could, but I' rather link them to a proper thread rather than send them here., where there is no real focus.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I tweeted, I really really really hope he is in. Waiting for that badass reveal trailer.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
What did you say in the tweet?
i used #snake4smash4 and told kojima he should be in and he is a unique character. I also asked for for metal gear on wii u.
I then tweeted sakurai just using the #snake4smash4

I'll tweet again when we all do it at once.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
i used #snake4smash4 and told kojima he should be in and he is a unique character. I also asked for for metal gear on wii u.
I then tweeted sakurai just using the #snake4smash4

I'll tweet again when we all do it at once.
Yea! It's gonna take all of us to do it at once to get a response

Top Bottom