• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm not sure if you're aware that it's not over yet. That's an incredibly pessimistic outlook and anything is bound to happen. Every character has problems getting into Smash, you know.
It's not that I'm trying to be absolutely negative, it's just reality.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"Reality" when it comes to Smash speculation.

It was a "reality" that Chrom was a guarantee over every other Awakening character because muhgematsu.
It was a "reality" that popular characters wouldn't get extremely ambiguous situations with Mii costumes.
It was a "reality" that Wolf would come back sooner because he's extremely popular and as of current his chances are in jeopardy.

Cut to the point, there's no "reality" in a subject like this.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
"Reality" when it comes to Smash speculation.

It was a "reality" that Chrom was a guarantee over every other Awakening character because muhgematsu.
It was a "reality" that popular characters wouldn't get extremely ambiguous situations with Mii costumes.
It was a "reality" that Wolf would come back sooner because he's extremely popular and as of current his chances are in jeopardy.

Cut to the point, there's no "reality" in a subject like this.
Okay, I see your point, but how will they get the license to the character with Konami's current situation?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Okay, I see your point, but how will they get the license to the character with Konami's current situation?
I couldn't tell you exactly. But licensing Snake is by no means impossible, yet you act like it is through this "reality".

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Again, I'd like to reiterate that Konami is not going out of business. Yes, they may be shifting focus away from the AAA video games, yes they are looking toward the more lucrative mobile industry, but they are not shuttering up for good. They can, and still will make games, even if it's on a smaller scale or quantity. And they aren't beyond being approached by other companies, after all, Nintendo did approach them at the height of the whole drama to talk about working with a Hudson property, they can easily do so again for Snake if they want to.

There's no doubt that by being Third Party adds one complication to Snake that First Party characters may not (then again, according to Sakurai, Pokemon characters are just as, if not more, difficult to include as Third Party characters). But as long as Nintendo knows it's worth the effort, ie willingness to pay for him as DLC, that they can overcome this complication and add him in.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
In my opinion Snake has similar chances like Megaman before Smash with the "Capcom situation", Sonic in Brawl with the delay and creator leaves SEGA and Pacman in Smash 4 by design.
It's subjective think on confiable facts about ballot now

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Konami love money.
Smash DLC makes money.
Snake is popular due to veteran status thus easy to implement should they strike a deal.
Both Konami and Nintendo get a sizeable chunk of money out of Snake.

Only obstacle is Sakurai because I sincerely doubt Konami would be that silly to turn down free money. Even then it shouldn't be much of an obstacle.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Wouldn't Konami WANT to allow Snake? To help with their *ahem* problems? And hey, I already worry about Wolf because of what people say, I don't need overwhelming Snake-doubt either. This should not imply that I hold unrealistic expectations, I am aware that Snake's chances as DLC are small compared to others, but let me at least hope for his return.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I see no reason why Konami wouldn't want Snake in Smash Bros. - it's easy money and good publicity, and they clearly want the former and really need the latter.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
It's more like whenever you've entered this thread, it's talking about how Konami is over and you're so sorry. And you've posted similar things in the DLC thread. I'm not gonna lie; it almost sounds like you're rubbing the Konami thing in our faves. That's not true, I imagine, but it's the impression you get when your Snake related posts are all "Konami is stopping AAA production, I'm sorry it had to go down like this, sorry Snake fans."

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
There's always the possibility that it's Nintendo who doesn't want to collaborate.
But why? Considering how much Snake is request (and that he already has Brawl's assets) he would surely turn on as a good profit, plus they are already working with Konami for licensing some Hundson Soft properties, so they have no problem working with them. It can't even be that they don't want to advertise the competitors' consoles, since Ryu is here and Street Fighter V will be PS4 exclusive. Actually , considering MGSV sales, it would be Snake who will advertise Smash Bros and Wii U to non-Nintendo users.

Last edited:
But why? Considering how much Snake is request (and that he already has Brawl's assets) he would surely turn on as a good profit, plus they are already working with Konami for licensing some Hundson Soft properties, so they have no problem working with them. It can't even be that they don't want to advertise the competitors' consoles, since Ryu is here and Street Fighter V will be PS4 exclusive. Actually , considering MGSV sales, it would be Snake who will advertise Smash Bros and Wii U to non-Nintendo users.
It could be as simple as Nintendo not wanting to collaborate with a company who openly disowned the Wii U from its launch. Or, as I've seen it suggested, someone could have objected to their character getting realistically choked by Snake.

Sure, Snake DLC would sell, but one of the utilities of the ballot is to give Sakurai and co. an idea of what other characters will sell. Let's say the next big DLC character will sell big no matter what, as long as they choose wisely - naturally, it is more appealing to them to pick the character where they don't have to pay fees to an estranged company.

I don't have any more insight into Nintendo-Konami relations than anyone else in the thread, so it's just my thoughts on why Snake wouldn't have come back already.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
"I'm SO SORRY that Snake won't be returning."
Man, people really grind muh gears. It's literally in the single digit days until it's all decided. People still find the need to head over to other support threads and bash?

I feel like we should all be securing our own bases, getting ready for the tidal waves that are about to sweep some of us away and leave a few or less standing, not tearing down others.

We all fought this war together. We might have fought eachother along the way, but now it's coming to an end. Let's all join hands, and face what's coming together, as comrades.

Last edited:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Legit question, how would Konami's discontinuing AAA production disqualify Snake in the first place? I seriously would like to know.

"I'm SO SORRY that Snake won't be returning."
Man, people really grind muh gears. It's literally in the single digit days until it's all decided. People still find the need to head over to other support threads and bash?

I feel like we should all be securing our own bases, getting ready for the tidal waves that are about to sweep some of us away and leave a few or less standing, not tearing down others.

We all fought this war together. We might have fought eachother along the way, but now it's coming to an end. Let's all join hands, and face what's coming together, as comrades.
Great, you got something in my eyes.
Legit question, how would Konami's discontinuing AAA production disqualify Snake in the first place? I seriously would like to know.
I wish I could answer that question...

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Presumably they're in such a state of financial and legal disarray that getting Snake into Smash is the least of their worries. Or something. Or they're planning on sitting on the series forever to prevent it from getting used because they hate Kojima that much. Honestly, I don't know. Nobody understands the Konami situation. Are they stopping AAA production or not? Have they descended into total chaos? Do they hate Kojima enough to purposefully sabotage his series?
we just dont know.gif

Still slightly more sensical than "Putting in Snake is offensive to Kojima so Sakurai won't do that." Kojima wanted Snake in cos he liked Smash and so his son could see his creation in a game he loved. Regardless of who owns the rights to Snake, it's still Kojima's character, and people associate Snake and Metal Gear with him. If Snake returns to Smash, it's a victory for Kojima because it's his creation getting recognized. The worst thing that could happen would be if Konami took the Metal Gear franchise down with it so it could never be used again. But would it bother him to have Snake in? I just don't see any evidence for it.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's more like whenever you've entered this thread, it's talking about how Konami is over and you're so sorry. And you've posted similar things in the DLC thread. I'm not gonna lie; it almost sounds like you're rubbing the Konami thing in our faves. That's not true, I imagine, but it's the impression you get when your Snake related posts are all "Konami is stopping AAA production, I'm sorry it had to go down like this, sorry Snake fans."
Wow, when Kim Kardashian herself comes out to tell me this, that must really mean I did something bad.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I just know fireworks are going to go off on ONE of these threads soon--just a matter of which one.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Also, isn't it irritating how Sakurai explains the Ice Climbers getting the axe, but NOBODY else? I DEMAND to know why Snake and Wolf (and Pichu) aren't in the game!

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Wow, when Kim Kardashian herself comes out to tell me this, that must really mean I did something bad.
The Queen of Style herself does not care for all these lesser characters and is merely biding her time until she can make her proper debut as the Greatest Video Game Character ever. Until then, she supports the maggots that show a bit more potential - if only to be crushed by her fabulous heel when the moment comes. :troll:

You didn't do anything "bad." You're just giving off the impression that you're coming into this thread to feed on tears. And it seems I wasn't the only one who got that impression. I've seen your posts in general and I don't think you wanted to give that image. But I hope you can understand why coming into a support thread and saying "I'm so sorry your character is deconfirmed," especially when the situation is controversial and poorly understood at best, might come off as hostile.

People love taking potshots at Snake for some reason, and this thread is one of the few places where you don't have to deal with people assuming he's a goner. It's a matter of simple courtesy, I suppose - it's generally considered poor form to go into the K. Rool thread and say "I think the costume deconfirms him, sorry," regardless of how honestly you share that sentiment. It's just a faux pas. Theoretically, it shouldn't be an issue - we've all had moments of disillusion, and these threads are for discussion - but it's a no-man's land outside one's support thread, so we can get touchy.

It's a miracle there hasn't been major drama yet. The Snake/Shantae RTC could've been bad, but it boiled down pretty quickly. I think the Shovel Knight leak is the closest we've come. I hope as tensions mount as the ballot closing date approaches that we don't lose our heads :4shulk: and stay cool.

AnonymousMoon AnonymousMoon Sakurai did address it. He said something like "characters that don't have a future/new games/basically aren't on our radar get lower priority." Presumably, all non-IC cut characters were cut as a result of being lower priority. Sakurai detailed the IC because there was a technical reason for them not to be included. But people might get ticked off to hear "Wolf wasn't high priority enough for me to work on in the time I had, sorry." That's why we get vague blanket statements like that - the real reasoning is probably not something that would please fans. Except maybe in the case of Snake, because then we can find out if legal issues were the problem... or something else.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Remember my idea for different incarnations of Snake as alternate costumes, well that would also involve some differences in Hayter's voice (I.e Old Snake would be raspier, and MGS1/Twin Snakes Solid would sound the least raspy)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I just know fireworks are going to go off on ONE of these threads soon--just a matter of which one.
Part of me wants to simply leave Smashboards when that happens. God forbid K. Rool doesn't get in I don't want to be around when the salt lickers come pouring into the Kutthroat thread. Yet I still feel compelled to see this through to the end, for better or worse.

And I imagine that's exactly what you Snake fans will do as well.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys I was thinking of that it would be fun to have Shadow Moses Island an 8-Player Smash stage. It would be total chaos with the towers getting destroyed. Anyway only 1 week till the ballot over. Don't give up hope my supporters! Fill up the ballot with ton of votes! So hurry up guys, it end next Saturday. Get that email send to Konami and Nintendo now!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The Queen of Style herself does not care for all these lesser characters and is merely biding her time until she can make her proper debut as the Greatest Video Game Character ever. Until then, she supports the maggots that show a bit more potential - if only to be crushed by her fabulous heel when the moment comes. :troll:

You didn't do anything "bad." You're just giving off the impression that you're coming into this thread to feed on tears. And it seems I wasn't the only one who got that impression. I've seen your posts in general and I don't think you wanted to give that image. But I hope you can understand why coming into a support thread and saying "I'm so sorry your character is deconfirmed," especially when the situation is controversial and poorly understood at best, might come off as hostile.

People love taking potshots at Snake for some reason, and this thread is one of the few places where you don't have to deal with people assuming he's a goner. It's a matter of simple courtesy, I suppose - it's generally considered poor form to go into the K. Rool thread and say "I think the costume deconfirms him, sorry," regardless of how honestly you share that sentiment. It's just a faux pas. Theoretically, it shouldn't be an issue - we've all had moments of disillusion, and these threads are for discussion - but it's a no-man's land outside one's support thread, so we can get touchy.

It's a miracle there hasn't been major drama yet. The Snake/Shantae RTC could've been bad, but it boiled down pretty quickly. I think the Shovel Knight leak is the closest we've come. I hope as tensions mount as the ballot closing date approaches that we don't lose our heads :4shulk: and stay cool.

AnonymousMoon AnonymousMoon Sakurai did address it. He said something like "characters that don't have a future/new games/basically aren't on our radar get lower priority." Presumably, all non-IC cut characters were cut as a result of being lower priority. Sakurai detailed the IC because there was a technical reason for them not to be included. But people might get ticked off to hear "Wolf wasn't high priority enough for me to work on in the time I had, sorry." That's why we get vague blanket statements like that - the real reasoning is probably not something that would please fans. Except maybe in the case of Snake, because then we can find out if legal issues were the problem... or something else.
Okay, I understand. I see the purpose that this thread is for and I'm glad that we've resolved order. :smash:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I just want to show you guys these. Just in case you didn't noticed these.

Oh! By the way you guys need to hurry up because we only had 8 days left before the ballot closed. So get all the support that we need and vote now!

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:
Top Bottom