• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Street Fighter's never had a good story.

Like, that's not the point of it.
And i mean... I'm not disappointed with what it's actual plot will be. I'm disappointed with how they've decided to make it's gameplay. You make a nothing avatar character and travel around the world learning from the actual characters who I'd rather be controlling and seeing their adventures. The way Street Fighter V did it's story. And the way NRS does it's story modes. And just... the way you SHOULD do story modes in fighting games. I don't care if the actual plot is good or not, I care if it's fun to experience or not. And this does not look like it will be fun to experience.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The next comp piece is a Chun-Li one, the recent one from this month, and the one from last year. Like the Mega Man X and Zero one, I thought the back to back poses were cool conceptually. It also helps this one had a lot more back to work with.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I dunno where this came from but uhhh

I’m free this Friday, Tara. Call me.

Use the Raven voice.
at least you didn’t ask for a voice like Timmy Turner’s (or however Emi would’ve rolled)…tho Raven is far too strong for you to handle

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And i mean... I'm not disappointed with what it's actual plot will be. I'm disappointed with how they've decided to make it's gameplay. You make a nothing avatar character and travel around the world learning from the actual characters who I'd rather be controlling and seeing their adventures. The way Street Fighter V did it's story. And the way NRS does it's story modes. And just... the way you SHOULD do story modes in fighting games. I don't care if the actual plot is good or not, I care if it's fun to experience or not. And this does not look like it will be fun to experience.
I partially agree and sorta don't. I do get wanting to directly control the main cast in the story mode. But I think taking a fresh face to explore the world the characters live and learn from them, see where they are and how far they've come is pretty awesome. We don't know the limits to this but in some trailers Ryu helps your created fighter in some stages, so maybe they are playable to some extent. There's also not telling how in-depth the game's arcade mode will be either, but if its at least like SF4, I'd be happy some new rival fights, an intro and an ending. It seems like they're doing interesting stuff with Ken, and Guile and Cammy still seem to be getting ready for their fights, Chun's now looking after a whole ass neighborhood and Ryu's hands are still Rated E for everyone.

I think exploring those areas looks more like a refined version of DK Deception's Konquest, I really liked that as a kid, so I imagine it'll be the same. Though again, it'd cool in its own right to directly control Ryu or Chun or whoever else, so having an OC in place of that can be a little mixed in my eyes. Shujinko is barely a step above that, technically being a character, but his whole gimmick was learning through the main cast, and thus acting as an avenue to the whole world of MK. So that's kind of the positive side, and we have to do that, I think I might slightly prefer an Avatar than playing mainly as Luke, who I don't care for whatsoever.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
In 2026 there is going to be a 6 hour long video essay about the rise and fall of live service superhero games
Whitelight already got 50 something of those minutes for Gotham Knights. A game I wish was just Arkham 5 with Nightwing as the player character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I have now finished Persona 4 Golden, and can confirm it was awesome as hell. I still prefer 5 Royal (and Strikers by default), but Golden was a masterpiece of a game. 3 Portable is my least favorite out of the trio, strictly due to the lack of cutscenes and the hellacious grind in comparison (also the unholy 13 round final boss, but we can put that to the side). However 3 still had a mostly amazing experience. Between the Persona trilogy, Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, and FF7R, guess I got some RPGs that keeps my interest

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I partially agree and sorta don't. I do get wanting to directly control the main cast in the story mode. But I think taking a fresh face to explore the world the characters live and learn from them, see where they are and how far they've come is pretty awesome. We don't know the limits to this but in some trailers Ryu helps your created fighter in some stages, so maybe they are playable to some extent. There's also not telling how in-depth the game's arcade mode will be either, but if its at least like SF4, I'd be happy some new rival fights, an intro and an ending. It seems like they're doing interesting stuff with Ken, and Guile and Cammy still seem to be getting ready for their fights, Chun's now looking after a whole ass neighborhood and Ryu's hands are still Rated E for everyone.

I think exploring those areas looks more like a refined version of DK Deception's Konquest, I really liked that as a kid, so I imagine it'll be the same. Though again, it'd cool in its own right to directly control Ryu or Chun or whoever else, so having an OC in place of that can be a little mixed in my eyes. Shujinko is barely a step above that, technically being a character, but his whole gimmick was learning through the main cast, and thus acting as an avenue to the whole world of MK. So that's kind of the positive side, and we have to do that, I think I might slightly prefer an Avatar than playing mainly as Luke, who I don't care for whatsoever.
I would have just preferred the cinematic story mode from the previous game without the need for avatars and overworld exploration. Maybe the Arcade Mode will be more of what I'm after... but this is in the game... so i'll probably end up playing it even if I don't want to because it's there and I paid for the game, even if I don't like it as a concept and don't think it's fun. It gets me down.

Plus generic customizable avatar characters just get me down man. Like... customization in games actually makes me like the game less. Couldn't tell you why, it's like some strange force of anti-excitement surrounds the mechanic. And now the entire main story mode is gonna be about no-personality mcdressup doll learning from the actual interesting characters. I know that avatars are supposed to be "me" but that jedi mind trick never works on me. I'd rather control a character who a designer created with an actual backstory and costume and personality then some rando that's supposed to stand in for me.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Something I did actually know beforehand, and one of the reasons I never touched Super Circuit

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Something I did actually know beforehand, and one of the reasons I never touched Super Circuit

Skill issue tbh

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I played 2 levels of Return to Dreamland DX cause timezones let me play it and goddamn they made the game a lot faster, old abilities even have new moves, both as in new for the original game like the Skyward Sword move Sword got in later games and just outright new moves entirely for Fire and stuff. Insane how Kirby and Metroid managed to get the special treatment here

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Yoshi while trying to hack the game's code in order to rewrite this formula:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
In 2026 there is going to be a 6 hour long video essay about the rise and fall of live service superhero games
When did they actually rise?

They've appeared but I feel like rise implies they were good at some point.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The datamine for Pokémon Master’s anniversary is here and people will probably be mad:
Not mad but a tad disappointed.

Galar is still my least favorite region, so none of them are really hype worthy for me, except for maybe Hop. It's cool at least that for the Neo Champion stuff that this confirms that it won't just be the Protagonists getting Master Fair Alts. I'll pull for them because they're Master Fairs, but I'm not sure I'll invest in them as hard as I did with last year's units. Give me my Barry & Azelf Master Fair!

Ball Guy is pretty cool, but I think I'd have rather have seen him be a Free 3* Unit as opposed to a 5* Scout.

Lance finally getting the ability to buff himself is hilarious. Dena knew exactly what to do with his grid; it's possibly the most pin-point accurate buffs they've given an older unit so far. Too bad he needs to be 5/5 and that SS Serena & Zygarde exist.

Lorelei and Torchic getting their grids at long last means that only Jessie & James are left. Lt. Surge getting his EX is hilarious and I'm all for it. Hopefully starting in April, we'll see them either start to buff the original Grid units like Rosa, Iris, and Pryce, or we'll see additional EX unlocks instead of just one per month.

A new Legendary Arena with Terrakion. Dang. I think the last new Legendary Arena we got was about two years ago with Tapu Bulu. I'm going to be really curious to see what gimmick it'll have given the giant power creep the game has taken since then. I could easily seem them mess with Zone Setting and Type debuffs. It'll probably be weak to Ground, Fighting, or Psychic as those are the only types left not represented so far in LA weaknesses.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yoooooooooooooo!!!! Cocaine Bear is out today!!!!

Movie of the Century has come out y'all!!!!

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Was never that into the Suicide Squad game just on concept and now it’s a love service co-op shooter where everyone uses guns and Captain boomerang doesn’t even use boomerangs. Poor Kevin Conroy. The last two projects you leant your voice to were Gatcha games. They might as well can the whole game at this point, nobody will miss it.

Live Service Games are killing the industry.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
OK, he looks ****ing cool

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Mortal Kombat 12 got leaked through a dude streaming the WBD earner's call lmao
Really. They’re doing another Mortal Kombat game… I just… why? They just did one. Why aren’t they taking a break? Oh cause Discovery Channel wants them to **** out one as soon as possible on next Gen systems with a battle pass. Right. Totally something to be excited for.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Was never that into the Suicide Squad game just on concept and now it’s a love service co-op shooter where everyone uses guns and Captain boomerang doesn’t even use boomerangs. Poor Kevin Conroy. The last two projects you leant your voice to were Gatcha games. They might as well can the whole game at this point, nobody will miss it.

Live Service Games are killing the industry.
That's not what gatcha game means.

osby

Smash Obsessed
enlighten me on the intricate differences in classification of the different ways large corporations trick you into giving them money.
It's not gatcha if you're not rolling a RNG wheel to pick characters.

Also, you know you need to give large corporations money for non-live service games, too, right?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would have just preferred the cinematic story mode from the previous game without the need for avatars and overworld exploration. Maybe the Arcade Mode will be more of what I'm after... but this is in the game... so i'll probably end up playing it even if I don't want to because it's there and I paid for the game, even if I don't like it as a concept and don't think it's fun. It gets me down.

Plus generic customizable avatar characters just get me down man. Like... customization in games actually makes me like the game less. Couldn't tell you why, it's like some strange force of anti-excitement surrounds the mechanic. And now the entire main story mode is gonna be about no-personality mcdressup doll learning from the actual interesting characters. I know that avatars are supposed to be "me" but that jedi mind trick never works on me. I'd rather control a character who a designer created with an actual backstory and costume and personality then some rando that's supposed to stand in for me.
Again, I sorta agree with you on some of that. I don't think custom characters outright lessen my mood for a game, but I'm not exactly excited for them either. Most exciting part is that the black hair styles are fairly nice. So I guess I'm in the middle on that overall. It's part of the reason I don't play the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games cause I'd rather play as Gohan or Vegeta or something, I like the exploration angle at least, again, cause I really liked Konquest in Deception as a kid and this seems like an expanded take on the concept. Custom characters don't have to be "you" exactly, I never do that myself. I don't even give my Pokemon protag my name, lmao. So if you want, just try making an actual character out of the situation rather than yourself. Could even act as bit of creative exercise, if you feel the need to do that.

Content wise, the fights seem to have a lot of gimmicks and ways to teach players how to do fighting game inputs. So I think that's fun. But again, I can see myself enjoying this more if you played as Ryu(at least initially) traveling the world like he normally does and throwing hands with his friends and new faces. But also understand WHY they went this angle, as it would allow players to experiment with as many playstyles of the game as possible before going online to use their proper mains.

You seem vary passionate about characters and lore and whatnot from your posts, so I can see why it doesn't gel with you. That's probably why I'm not super excited about that aspect, but I try to keep an open mind, if only because there's a lot of stuff I like too.

I played 2 levels of Return to Dreamland DX cause timezones let me play it and goddamn they made the game a lot faster, old abilities even have new moves, both as in new for the original game like the Skyward Sword move Sword got in later games and just outright new moves entirely for Fire and stuff. Insane how Kirby and Metroid managed to get the special treatment here
New moves for Fire? Sounds raw. I mostly played Robobot, So I'm considering getting this and MMBN collections. I'm skipping Prime 1 cause I got my OG copies of 1 and 2. Though I've also beat Squeak Squad(my first Kirby title) Dreamland 1, Super Star and that one 3DS Team battle game.
It's not gatcha if you're not rolling a RNG wheel to pick characters.

Also, you know you need to give large corporations money for non-live service games, too, right?
True enough, though to play Devil's Advocate for Snake just a bit, It's still nickel and diming for content rather than mostly buying a complete game for 60 bucks and then choosing whether or not to spend money afterwards for an expansion months down the line. But I'll agree with you that Gacha's situation is different as the rewards are randomized and percentage based, and thus arguably worse all things considered.

But I'll also say that I'm not huge in bringing up Kevin Conroy into the conversation cause I try to avoid bringing up the dead to **** talk a project I dislike.

If there's one thing I'll agree with is that live service games clearly aren't sustainable for many companies, and simply making a normal title would be better, if only for long-term preservation various pieces of gaming history, y'know?

It shouldn't be this hard to get a piddly part time minimum wage job.

And yet, here I am :100:
Hang in there bro! It was tough for me too for a while between jobs. I hope things will get better as soon as they can.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And, the current end of my back log, a third compilation piece I did, this one being Gohan's. I had a few pieces I drew of him that I enjoyed, so I cooked this one up and made a poster of sorts.

Top Bottom