• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
OK. I started by replaying Sonic Generations and I gotta say.. OK I love the extra bits of canon thrown in (even if the name drops of South Island, West Side Island, and the Time Stones feel kind of forced) but everything feels less.... OK It's like that Sonic meme with the SWAT Bot putting up a "No Fun Allowed" sign because a lot of the gags that made the game feel lighthearted and fun are just not here anymore and are replaced with... kind of boring standard dialogue. And even the lines that aren't supposed to be jokes feel like they just had the whimsy siphoned out of them.

Overall it doesn't really fix the main problems with Generation's story (that would have required A LOT more new cut-scenes than SEGA was willing to do) and it's just... not as charming.

Ian Flynn is a great writer for these characters. I've read the comics, I know he knows how to make them act in both serious and lighthearted settings. But It's just... not landing here. Generations was supposed to be a little sillier. And honestly I'm not really looking forward to more games with this forced seriousness if this rewrite and basically all of Sonic Frontiers are any indication.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
OK. I started by replaying Sonic Generations and I gotta say.. OK I love the extra bits of canon thrown in (even if the name drops of South Island, West Side Island, and the Time Stones feel kind of forced) but everything feels less.... OK It's like that Sonic meme with the SWAT Bot putting up a "No Fun Allowed" sign because a lot of the gags that made the game feel lighthearted and fun are just not here anymore and are replaced with... kind of boring standard dialogue. And even the lines that aren't supposed to be jokes feel like they just had the whimsy siphoned out of them.

Overall it doesn't really fix the main problems with Generation's story (that would have required A LOT more new cut-scenes than SEGA was willing to do) and it's just... not as charming.

Ian Flynn is a great writer for these characters. I've read the comics, I know he knows how to make them act in both serious and lighthearted settings. But It's just... not landing here. Generations was supposed to be a little sillier. And honestly I'm not really looking forward to more games with this forced seriousness if this rewrite and basically all of Sonic Frontiers are any indication.
Um, Time Stones?

I know that is a minor detail you listed there, but you probably should have spoilered that. I would have loved to hear the thing about the Time Stones without being spoiled, no matter how minor that is.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Um, Time Stones?

I know that is a minor detail you listed there, but you probably should have spoilered that. I would have loved to hear the thing about the Time Stones without being spoiled, no matter how minor that is.
I'm sorry. It didn't really feel like a spoiler worthy thing because they just name drop them in one of the cutscenes. They aren't a part of the story.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I'm sorry. It didn't really feel like a spoiler worthy thing because they just name drop them in one of the cutscenes. They aren't a part of the story.
Yeah, I know. That is why I called them a minor detail.

I could have said you should have still spoilered it, BUT it was so minor that you most likely did not know whether to spoiler it or not. So I'll let this pass and slip by.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Stumped right now:

According to Twitter, the D23 Brazil event on November 9 is scheduled to have some Fortnite announcements. I went to the site to try and verify this. Unfortunately, I hit the roadblock of "I don't understand this language" so I tried a translation tool. The translation tool ragequit on me.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Stumped right now:

According to Twitter, the D23 Brazil event on November 9 is scheduled to have some Fortnite announcements. I went to the site to try and verify this. Unfortunately, I hit the roadblock of "I don't understand this language" so I tried a translation tool. The translation tool ragequit on me.
I mean it probably will, they have a lot of collabs on the way. If it is on the website, I’m sure it won’t be long before more people spread that info sand confirm it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if Nickelodeon would really loose that much profit if they only released their games in the states so they could use Fairly OddParents content in their titles.

Luke really, how well do these games do outside of America?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Made a funny Halloween team.

Had a hard time figuring out how to make a bunch of spooky pokemon actually synergize so I settled on a 2/2/2 team structure and it's not actually half bad.

Mimikyu/Ursaluna - Five Nights at Trick Room
Sableye/Annihilape - Sableye sets up screen support to help Annihilape set up.
Noivern/Hydreigon - Noivern uses Dragon Cheer to give Hydreigon guaranteed crits, letting it ignore Draco Meteor's stat drops.

Sableye synergizes with pretty much everything which is nice. Kinda wish I had a second trick room threat sometime - maybe I'll revise the EV spread on the ape to make is slower.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Shadow's moveset in Shadow Generations is kind of a mixed bag, but I can't deny it would make him fun in Smash

Can't imagine him being more than an Echo Fighter though

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ignore the polls, they’re all noise at the end of the day.

Not much longer now, two weeks and this nonsense will be over.

Hopefully
Yeah .
Wait... two weeks??
MARIO AND LUIGI IS OUT IN TWO WEEKS
-yojope.jpg

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly the Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers content in Shadow Gen still feels weird to me. Like... I guess Forces was Shadow's biggest in game roll since 06, but it's still in the future from when the game is set. Which I guess is fine, time travel, but Sonic only ever goes to his past, not his future.

And Frontiers, Shadow was just not in that game at all (which honestly surprised me, I was expecting a Shadow DLC for that game that they never did) so it doesn't relate to him really at all aside from maybe lore about the chaos emeralds(?). It just doesn't have a connection to him and it confuses me why it's one of the levels.

Honestly the Generations format really hinders Shadow since he's not been in nearly as many games as Sonic.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
not me finding out Disney’s stupid ass self cancelled Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur without reason

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly the Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers content in Shadow Gen still feels weird to me. Like... I guess Forces was Shadow's biggest in game roll since 06, but it's still in the future from when the game is set. Which I guess is fine, time travel, but Sonic only ever goes to his past, not his future.

And Frontiers, Shadow was just not in that game at all (which honestly surprised me, I was expecting a Shadow DLC for that game that they never did) so it doesn't relate to him really at all aside from maybe lore about the chaos emeralds(?). It just doesn't have a connection to him and it confuses me why it's one of the levels.

Honestly the Generations format really hinders Shadow since he's not been in nearly as many games as Sonic.
On one hand you're right that they simply don't have the material without constantly using the same 3 games. On the other hand, Sunset Heights and Chaos Island got such massive glowups and it's probably nice for younger fans who started the series after 2011, they deserve some fanservice too

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
On one hand you're right that they simply don't have the material without constantly using the same 3 games. On the other hand, Sunset Heights and Chaos Island got such massive glowups and it's probably nice for younger fans who started the series after 2011, they deserve some fanservice too
They could have at least done a level from Shadow the Hedgehog

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Their glowup was going from a dumpster fire to a bag of rubbish, should have had Egg Fleet and a composited Black Comet to be perfect instead

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Seems like everyone's jumping over to Bluesky now.

....I don't even use Twitter so I guess this is a net neutral for me?
Mr. Muskrat ruined the platform by using it to try and sway the election, so anyone with half a brain is jumping ship.

I only hope Black Twitter survives the transition.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Seems like everyone's jumping over to Bluesky now.

....I don't even use Twitter so I guess this is a net neutral for me?
That reminds me, I should make a Bluesky account.

No idea what it’d be about, but perhaps I could get back to photographing things that intrigue me.

Top Bottom