• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of today's double Direct feature

• Balatro: Friends of Jimbo update

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Neva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coffee Talk Tokyo

• Powerwash Simulator Shrek DLC

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Date Everything!

• Pizza Tower

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Other (Indie World)

• Tetris Forever + NES Tetris on NSO + Tetris 99 Cup

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • The Legend of Heroes Trial in the Sky the 1st

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Spongebob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game

• Fitness Boxing 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capcom Fighting Collection 2

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & The Envisioned Land

• Castlevania Dominus Collection

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • MySims Cozy Bundle

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma

• Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other (Partner Showcase)

• Nothing in Either

• The Sonic 3 Trailer

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Funny thing is that "Turning Red" not only gave me a HUGE interest in Asian culture (something that not even "Mulan" and the "Kung Fu Panda" movies ever did for me, even though I watched them a ton of times) but it also got me interest in learning how to speak Japanese...even though the main character's Chinese.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
the music for Repaint Your Hearts is ****ing crazy awesome

D

Deleted member

btw where can I post a screenshot of my current Mii Swordfighter in Ultimate (which I'm using in Quickplay)?

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
Funny thing is that "Turning Red" not only gave me a HUGE interest in Asian culture (something that not even "Mulan" and the "Kung Fu Panda" movies ever did for me, even though I watched them a ton of times) but it also got me interest in learning how to speak Japanese...even though the main character's Chinese.
its a bit cliche but I think picking up anime early in life is what ultimately got me set on the "learn japanese" path, even if I don't really watch anime as much nowadays

its mostly just my hobbies that are japanese oriented(like wanting to translate yugioh cards and jp nintendo announcements) and my music taste being entirely j-bands that sealed the deal

D

Deleted member

its a bit cliche but I think picking up anime early in life is what ultimately got me set on the "learn japanese" path, even if I don't really watch anime as much nowadays

its mostly just my hobbies that are japanese oriented(like wanting to translate yugioh cards and jp nintendo announcements) and my music taste being entirely j-bands that sealed the deal
I listen to mostly "traditional music", bonus if it's in a video game too.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Fun fact for today: If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Kinda. Sounds are vibrations through the air that our, and all other animals, interpret through our methids of hearing. If a tree were to fall in a forest, the vibrations will go through the air as usual, so by technicality yes. But if nobody is around to intrepret those vibrations, what is the sound that it makes? The answer... silence, on its own the vibrations mean nothing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fun fact for today: If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Kinda. Sounds are vibrations through the air that our, and all other animals, interpret through our methids of hearing. If a tree were to fall in a forest, the vibrations will go through the air as usual, so by technicality yes. But if nobody is around to intrepret those vibrations, what is the sound that it makes? The answer... silence, on its own the vibrations mean nothing.
I've always felt that this thought experiment is too human-centric to make sense but you actually touch on a good point - philosophy has to be relevant to humans because it simply is meaningless to everything else.

"Yes, it makes a loud thud" would technically be a valid answer if you approach the question on the grounds of whether unobserved nature works the same as the observed one rather than a consciousness perception one.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I drew my dude Carnage. Not my strongest piece of the year, but I still think it came out well. I have a couple of pieces I know I didn't share here yet, so I'll try to get to them later when I can. Starting up my next backlog already, so I've got a few drawings to work on.

1701103903792.png

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I've always felt that this thought experiment is too human-centric to make sense but you actually touch on a good point - philosophy has to be relevant to humans because it simply is meaningless to everything else.

"Yes, it makes a loud thud" would technically be a valid answer if you approach the question on the grounds of whether unobserved nature works the same as the observed one rather than a consciousness perception one.
I mean yeah, nature just doesn't cease to exist if your not observing it, it works the same as it does when it's observe. You may not hear a tree fall if you're wearing headphones blasting music, but doesn't mean the deer in the vicinity didn't hear it. It's all perception, for some witnessing is believing, for others they don't need tangible evidence from their own senses, they can take others word for it.

Where was I going with this? Idk.

D

Deleted member

For generations, philosophers have asked, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" The answer, by the way, OBVIOUSLY, is of course it does! I mean, dah, right? Philosophers! Get a job, thinky-boy!

Noipoi

Howdy!
TIL that Jaleel White was considered to play Classic Sonic in Generations, but he was unavailable at the time.

It could've been great :239:

D

Deleted member

TIL that Jaleel White was considered to play Classic Sonic in Generations, but he was unavailable at the time.

Wait what? I thought Sega intended Classic Sonic to always be mute?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So The Game Awards Player's Choice is up
There is no Sonic game on here, so hopefully the whole discourse around that will be marginally less annoying

But the TERF game is on here, and I think I would rather deal with annoying Sonic fans rather than any Transphobes.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There is no Sonic game on here, so hopefully the whole discourse around that will be marginally less annoying

But the TERF game is on here, and I think I would rather deal with annoying Sonic fans rather than any Transphobes.
Inb4 they didnt add sonic because of the **** last year

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Oh it's gonna get hella annoying cause now Sonic fans are gonna use it as ammo that critics hate Sonic.

I am surprised Octophath Traveler is there. Probably the most recognition it will get this awards season.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know they're evergreen games and all but it feels kinda weird to have games like Minecraft and Genshin in Game Awards every year.

I guess it makes sense if they're getting huge updates but still, give actually new releases a chance, you know? (something Game Awards are meaningless unless my faves win something)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Really not looking forward to December. On the one hand, Christmas. On the other hand, two painful anniversaries that month… one being my father’s death. The other one... I'll give a tl;dr.

basically, my ex, the one i mentioned here before at one point, I told them to keep me away from certain mutual friends of theirs that are also my former friends and I will never be on good terms again with those people. they wanted to tag me and those people anyway in one of those lists of people that made your year better. I got tired of this us vs them threat looming over me every time that happened, so... I left that person.

I wanted things to be better between us, but it just wouldn't get better. In the end I did it to protect my mental health and peace, but I feel conflicted sometimes seeing them in the comment threads of my friends on social media. that message when someone blocks you, I know it's them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't help but have this nagging feeling that the media seems to think I've played every single title that The Game Awards is nominating for, but in actuality I've only played...like two so far, while I'm just barreling my way through the votes and picking the titles I like more (and choosing the coaches, players and teams who I think have more interesting-sounding names since I never watch tournaments, sorry guys)

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I know they're evergreen games and all but it feels kinda weird to have games like Minecraft and Genshin in Game Awards every year.

I guess it makes sense if they're getting huge updates but still, give actually new releases a chance, you know? (something Game Awards are meaningless unless my faves win something)
I agree on this, they have a best ongoing game category for a reason.

D

Deleted member

Also I don't really care if my favorites win or not, it's not like I'm not allowed to play the losers anymore, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This is a falsehood shared by Aaron Webber, Jaleel White has said he never got contacted whereas Ryan Drummond claims he was contacted but refused to quit his union when Sega asked him to. Aaron Webber is a deceitful creature who's lies must not be trusted

D

Deleted member

You aren’t, actually. Any games you own that didn’t win an award will be immediately confiscated and burned.
Oh wait, is this a joke? I'm autistic so I'm still struggling with understanding sarcasm through text.

Top Bottom