• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Wonder what Gentlepanda Gentlepanda thinks of the changes to BD2.

Having an indicator of when the enemy is going to attack and including an ATB system letting you know when your own turns come up are welcome changes from the demo, but I still prefer how the previous games handled the battle system by having you plan your moves for every character each turn. Just feels like there was more room for strategy and creativity that way, IMO.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Quick thoughts on the random Nintendo Direct:
  • Part Time UFO looks cute
  • Been interested in trying the No More Heroes series (good thing I held back from getting the pricey Wii versions off eBay) so this sale is tempting.
  • Downloaded Age of Calamity demo
  • meh on everything else

D

Deleted member

I am loving the Age of Calamity demo thus far. Music is a banger, combat is pretty fun, and the story(so far anyway) is at least engaging enough that I actually watch the cutscenes rather than skip them. of ****ing course it involves time travel though, who whoulda thunk

Could use some more optimization(a few times my buttons didn't want to respond... may have just been my switch lite though, idk) but it's looking pretty good overall.

D

Deleted member

After a pretty bad PC crash I'm back. Seems like the HDD is failing, it wouldn't boot anymore nor could I reinstall any OS on it, but luckily I could recover all files I needed (and didn't forget about). I'm now using an older laptop, but muscle memory still tends to screw me over. I'm so used to using the on-screen keyboard because half the keys not working on my previous one, that I still tend to use it sometimes. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss it though, because it was a bit smaller, due to missing the numpad. On the bright side, I might even be able to actually play games and do 3d modeling on a laptop again, now I have a properly working keyboard.

So, anything happened the past two days?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Would adding Kurtis Stryker into MK11 be... in poor taste.... in today’s current.. world?
His entrance in MK9 was literally "police brutality coming right up", yes it would be in horrible taste.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
After 1 hour and 45 minutes on the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity demo, here are some views from a person who has never played a Warriors game before:
I'm still mostly in it for the plot.
The combat can be interesting at times, but most of it is, from what I can gather, mashing buttons for simple combos with a bit of reacting thrown into the mix. I noticed that you can cancel attack animations with a dodge - similarly to how in Breath of the Wild you could cancel attack animations with a jump - and wished this was expanded upon more, perhaps with certain combos requiring you to dodge in the middle.
I did, however, enjoy the maps. They're big, thoughtfully designed, memorable and can easily take 30 to 45 minutes to beat. I do wish there were more secrets to find other than the odd Korok Seed, as well as more setpieces to play around with - think about how in BotW you could, for example, push a boulder onto an unsuspecting group of enemies.
The music serves its purpose and setting very well. I don't really care about videogame soundtracks anymore and don't typically listen to them outside of the game (though I am still in support of releasing full OSTs separately).
The voice acting is BotW-quality, as expected.
I'm still remaining very hopeful for the story, since this game obviously focuses deeply on plot with its greater number of voice-acted cutscenes. However, I do raise concern over the Guardian egg (still with no official name, as far as I'm aware) being sent back in time to stop the Great Calamity, as it implies my worst fear for this game... a good ending where Calamity Ganon is defeated. I don't want them to retcon BotW so far as to prevent it from ever happening, though the Zelda series is no stranger to alternate timelines. Real talk: at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo completely abandon the current timeline and announce the Zelda series has no official timeline, and part of me would prefer it that way since most of the series was created without trying to fit into a timeline.
Overall, even if I did find the core gameplay a tad repetitive, the in-depth plot and my obsession with Zelda will still lead me to buy this game eventually. I may even pre-order it since I haven't bought a new game since Animal Crossing: New Horizons a few days after its launch, and I don't think I'll be able to survive against spoilers for long (I'm already seeing uploads of the demo's cutscenes in my YouTube recommended).

Also Partner Showcase, I guess. I'm not interested in any of the games in the Direct, though No More Heroes was likely meant to be the main focus of this presentation with a trailer for 3 and ports of 1 and 2 releasing right afterward. I find it weird that they decided to cram another Age of Calamity trailer at the end, when that is obviously a first-party game. This will also be the last Partner Showcase of 2020; July me would've been celebrating and believing this would finally lead to a general full Direct in November, but October me has lost any hope for one until at least February 2021 and thus is unaffected. At least I've gotten into a routine of checking Nintendo's YouTube and Twitter for new shadowdrops every day after school in the past two months.

D

Deleted member

So, I'm curious. What were some of y'all's first games? I remember mine being Little Big Planet, can't recall which one Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Minecraft.
Brain Training for the NDS, Sonic Rush Adventure, New Super Mario Bros NDS and Sonic RoboBlast 2.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
So, I'm curious. What were some of y'all's first games? I remember mine being Little Big Planet, can't recall which one Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Minecraft.
I've legit been playing Melee since I was like 3. Some of my earliest memories are of me playing it lol.

I was born with a Gamecube controller in my hands.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Kid Chameleon, Toejam & Earl.
I grew up on the Sega Genesis. 👴

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Do we have an idea of how many playable characters age of calamity will have?
As of now 7 characters are confirmed (11 if you count the Divine Beasts as separate characters)

The other characters shown off, Robbie, Purah, Hestu, Rhoam, Kohga, Kohga's right hand, and Girahvaati or whoever could be possibilities as well but so far they haven't been confirmed. I'm thinking any other playable fighters won't be confirmed until the full game releases. But I do think at the very least some of these characters and maybe more could be added via updates/DLC like with the first Hyrule Warriors game.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Holy ****, holy ****.

I beated the chess game & the boss rush, now there's only two missions left to do....

Is this weird to say that, despite being sooooooooooooo close to the end, I actually feel likely to win now than ever?

Like Vergil, I know he is freakin' hard HARD on DMD, but I think I can do it, but Arkham man, if all the horrors stories I heard are true...
john cena sad.jpg
This party ain't going to go crazy for me in the slightest.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Edit: Quoted wrong person myB

Sonic The Hedgehog, Batman Forever, and The Lion King I played on the Genesis way back in the day.

Pokemon Blue was my first handheld game which was literally the only game I had for my dinky little Gameboy Pocket. Technically was my first "Nintendo" title.

The Gamecube was my first Nintendo home console and the first game I got for that was Melee.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Also, I almost thought I had to do the WHOLE Boss Rush on DMD difficulty due to not unlocking it earlier than I thought. If it was true, you bet your ass I would have lost all my hairs & call myself.....I dunno, Egg Dude? Man Egg?

idk, i'm not good with names.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I played a whole lot of different games, but the most vivid to young me were:

• Banjo-Kazooie (I think it was my very first game, or at least the first I can actually remember almost clearly)
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
  • Finding Nemo (XBox and GBA)
  • Pac-Man: Adventures in Time
  • M&M's: The Lost Formulas
  • The Incredibles
  • Madagascar
  • Pac-Man World 2
  • Pokémon Fire Red
  • Super Mario World GBA
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
  • Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak and Rainbow Rescue
  • Toon Town and Club Penguin (and Roblox at some point)
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Shark Tale
  • Red Dead Revolver
  • SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie game
  • Flash games
  • likely a whole lot of other games including a bunch of GBA games and maybe Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon Snap, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64 and others

There were also some I didn't really know what they were at the time, like Super Smash Bros. 64 in a hospital when I was really young (the memory is fuzzy but it seems like Smash 64 since I think one of the characters was Samus (or "robot guy" as I probably called her at the time), the machine that had the game also having a Winnie the Pooh game), and maybe a bit of Metroid Prime at a cousin's since there was a spaceship with a big, dead alien/monster inside and you could roll around as a ball.

I picked up Minecraft when I was 11 in 2011, which then became and has stayed my top favorite game. Picked up Smash Bros. Brawl (my actual first Smash game I guess) when I was 8 or 9, and Kirby Superstar Ultra + Pokémon Diamond when I was 9 or 10 (and the original Pokémon Red some year before). Pokémon Snap, Stadium, and Mario 64 likely came not long after this time (but before Minecraft) since I'm pretty sure Superstar Ultra was my first Kirby game, but my grandparents bought an N64 and a bunch of games which included Kirby 64, Mario 64, DK64 and the Pokémon N64 games I mentioned.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I got those down pretty easily, the key with that stuff is just patience and taking your time. With Shadow Mario, the key is to get the perfect distance for nonstop spraying to take out a majority if not 100% of his health. And the boat is just taking your time with the spraying and understanding the mechanics of the boat steering itself.
guess I’ve been ignoring Cap’s advice then, cause I could not find it in me to have patience during that entire section. The cloud part was quite calming in comparison to the two challenges behind it

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If my pretty much fuzzy memory doesn't fail me, I remember them being:

-Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-F-Zero
-Bubsy (I am not proud of that one, JonTron's video about it revived childhood traumas it left in me xD)
-A bunch of flash games from Newgrounds, mainly Sonic ones.
-Smash 64
-Kirby 64
-Pokemon Stadium
-Rayman 2 (XD it came along with many other games for the N64 emulator, and I was asked to play it, because as much as I wanted to play...I think it was Majora's Mask, it always crashed when making it run. At first I was like "I don't want to play this." but I had to do it anyway and in the end, I loved the entire thing and Rayman as a character. He had more impact than Sonic and Mario ever did.)
-Shrek 2's weird game for the Gamecube. Why.
-Kirby Air Ride
-Melee.
-Rayman 3 (it took me 3 years to find it, but I had to.)

XD Honestly, that's all that I remember from the oldest ones I have played.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Nairo came back, and put out a statement regarding the allegations
If this is really the hard truth, then...

I just can't imagine what he had to go through ever since the day where he lost basically everything he worked & all the friends he made along hte way

I'm going to keep a open mind on this just in case more info come out that make the case more complicate, but if all he said is true (Void & Cosmos are supporting Nairo's claim, so take that as you will), then....

.....I don't ****ing know anymore man.

This is just too much to think & handle at once.

KillerCage

Smash Master
In we are talking about console games, then Kirby 64, Mario Party 2, Pokemon Stadium, and one more game I keep forgetting.
There is also Ocarina of Time, but I got a love-hate relationship with that game.

D

Deleted member

Well, going by the silence I got, I'm just gonna assume nothing of note has happened.

Anyway, I got the laptop up and running by now, still haven't transferred the files over at this point though. Downloading all those updates alone took long enough that I just don't feel like doing it today.

D

Deleted member

So I was just playing a bit more of the Age of Calamity demo and...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
bit of an odd choice because iirc Guardian Skywatchers weren't a know type of Guardian until the Calamity, meaning they weren't just lying around in the ruins but considering the plot thus far It wouldn't shock me if the story is gonna go the way I think it is and make all of this attention to detail null(which honestly would upset me a bit but I wouldn't mind it too much)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The reason I can't like her is because she's mostly a reference to Lum (Urusei Yatsura), except she's far less interesting.
I don't know who that is.

Zero Two isn't a super deep character by any means but her arc was still satisfying enough to me...barring the last few episodes. Her JPN voice actress also did an incredible job, IMO.

And Hiro002 is super cute.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom