• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers - Series Discussion

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say thank you. I've been having doubts as to why I spend so many hours playing this game, and this entire documentary was a large reaffirmation that I've spent the last few years of my life very very well. Shout-outs to all my smash friends: RTF, Gravy, JesiahTEG, Asylum, Vicious, Nightro, Lefty, a nub, Citizen Snips, Pyro, ShroudedOne, Beta, K.I.D. Goggles, CrimsonBlur, Sung, Baka4Moe, Jeez, and a whole lot more awesome people.

Hope to keep meeting all of you, and thanks for being a part of this for me. ---Inty---

Crocnoc

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say the documentary was really well put together with the interviews, music, diagrams with the narrated voice overs, etc. and it was fascinating to watch the roots and history of smash considering I, myself know next to nothing about as I am extremely new to the community as a whole.

Although I do have to admit the later episodes lost a bit of their congruence in my opinion, but nonetheless the documentary was fantastic. I've subscribed to your channel and hope to see more great content from you in the future irregardless if it's smash related or not.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
FINALLY finished the documentary lmao. Such an impressive piece of work, I'm really shocked by it. The entire show as a whole really felt more documentary like than I was expecting, and was something I could see anyone (Smash fan or not) watching and really appreciating. It's a finished product that I want to show my family and friends, to show what this is truly about and means.

Constructive criticism:

I feel that a couple of the later episodes (especially episode 08) used too much Smash footage. I'm sure this was because of the availability of footage being from later tournaments, but I feel that the mix of Smash and interview footage was flawless early on. Episode 08 clocking in at around 40 minutes with the most Smash footage could have been toned down just a little bit.

Other than that, every episode was so enjoying to watch, episode 03 was by far my favorite! The episode with Isai really moved me, and I got to learn a lot about him, and saw a lot of similar traits I have in him as a pro player, sort of like someone I can relate to. Isai and KDJ were the two pros I probably knew the least about prior, and was glad to have learned about them through this. Perhaps other viewers (mainly very new Smashers) can chime in on this, but what was your thought on the episodes between the main shift of old > new, like around episode 05 - 06 range. It's clear to see where it changed, it was around the Brawl release and MLG dropped. Maybe it was because I joined the community in 06-07, so episodes 01-04 were all very new to me history wise compared to the rest that I lived through so I found it naturally more exciting and fresh, or if there was a significant change in tone and style.

---

Do you have any plans on a sequel of chance, perhaps funded by additional donations and ad revenue? I would love to see a few additional episodes made for the new generation of pros such as Hungrybox, PP, and Armada - while also having new episodes on pros that are still active in the scene - M2K and Mango. Wrapping it up perhaps with a reunion episode if every player together could be brought into one place somehow. I feel like that naturally wrap up would be something really amazing to watch.

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
I loved this documentary so much! The one thing I was a bit disappointed with (though certainly entirely understanding of the time constraints) was the lack of explanations about the Genesis and Waffles era. Like HomeMadeWaffles is the reason I'm playing melee, and probably the reason so many people stuck around after Brawl, seems like a shame to not at least mention the Wombo Combo and the beast from Sweden and such. Either way, such a great documentary and thank you so much to the creators!

Windrose

Smash Lord
those 5cm/s scenes from the isai episode really got to me.

great documentary!

xAxLegitxLegendx

Smash Rookie
Such a good documentary. You are blowing up on twitter.

You're going to be talked about on Live On 3 tonight (e-Sports show) by DJ Wheat and Slaher.

https://twitter.com/djWHEAT/status/390244105512427521

MLG Puckett is also looking to contact you, and one of the casters from League of Legends, Monte Cristo.

https://twitter.com/MLGPuckett/status/390501949847502849

Really did have an impact on the bigger eSports world with this film, and showed how much rich history the scene has, that wasn't previously exposed!

Windrose

Smash Lord
shout outs to Captain Cleveland for making some sick music for the documentary and also for being a fellow falcon main

mathos

Smash Champion
Heard about this from the Smash bros subreddit. The series really make me nostalgia hard. I'm glad this is finally coming to fruition. A lot of people have talked about creating a history/documentary for a long time. And with the more recent crash of smashboards makes me wish this is done more often to preserve the memory.

I think the strongest point is the discussions and opinions the interviewees are giving. They are the ones that are creating the story. I've definitely been out of the community for many years so but I feel like that the story in the later episodes gets lost. Perhaps because your interviewees didn't get asked the right questions or the interviewees simply weren't a part of those stories as they developed (like I said I haven't been involved so I don't know who was around during the later episodes). At times I feel like matches were used in place of interviewee material but it doesn't translate as well. The match doesn't tell the story, it gives you the result. Allow your interviewees to tell the story.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Amazing documentary. I was especially excited to see mention of Mike, Jarrod, and the Punch Crew during the documentary since they're from Edmonton, Canada (where I am holla). Even though it may not have been feasible for the documentary crew, they could have came out to say a few words for the documentary if you guys were interested.

This video was super nostalgic tho. I remember being there and watching a lot of those matches when they first happened when I was in my early high school years and even late junior high years.

nookrulz

Smash Ace
Finally finished. Great doc - wish I could have seen it before EVO. I dropped out of the scene around 2007 so I didn't know any of the Hbox/Mango lore. Lots of awesome memories.

Only things I would say is, please put names on the interviewees the first time they pop up each episode! I knew a lot of them by their faces, but not all of them. Also, Good Clux needs to be in the first couple episodes

Enragin_Angel

Smash Rookie
I really loved this documentary series. The Isai episode was by far the best. It hit me right in the feels.

The most surprising episode to me was the KoreanDJ episode. At first, I thought that there were so many other players you could cover other than KoreanDJ, but after watching it, he was so integral to the development of Smash that I'm glad you did cover him.

The most disappointing was the Mango episode. A lot of the character (human) development was so well written in the first episodes and by the time it got to Mango, it was just mainly gameplay footage.

I really loved HugS and Wife providing excellent stories and comments about the scene. Wes was amazing too.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
I came across a link from the Smashboards facebook page that brought me to this thread. I was instantly hooked on the documentary. I'm impressed, and I love it! It's like... I want to convince my parents to watch this to get a better idea of what this game I've been playing for over 10 years is like.

It's like... I wanna raise children with this documentary. It's like... I want Obama to watch this, start playing Smash, and then I want to money match him and make history. It's like... I like this.

Zhea

Smash Ace
First off thank you for making this Samox. As a new generation smasher (Only started 2 years ago), I knew about the first and second era's history, but I could never attach the feeling of the Eras. My one criticism of the work is that I feel an opportunity was missed to tell 2 stories that only a select few American smasher's know, and that is the development of the Japanese and European scenes. We had some insight of when our scenes collided, but we know so little about the history outside of that. Everyone knows Captain Jack, Bomb Soldier, and now Gucchi, but how many people know about Kou? How many new generation player's know about Ek, the former dominating force in Europe? Understandably this would of been difficult, even compared to the sheer amount of blood sweat and tears already put into this project. Still it's a story that could raise awareness in the American scene about our brother communities. Hell, how much does anyone know about the Mexican scene outside of the border states?

Rainbow

Smash Apprentice
I don't even really play anymore but this was great. Of all the competitive communities I've been a part of, none of them have done so much with so little.

Let's only hope for another 12 years of Melee.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
explanation of focus of documentary
I think we're actually on the same page about this so I'll try to keep it brief. My 'big post' was in reaction to kishprime who brought up placements and how it wouldn't have fit within in the context of the documentary. Since I didn't want to keep going back and forth about that I pointed out the problem with placements and wrote a brief summary about euro history so I could make it clear where I think europe could have been introduced within the context of the docu. Especially considering the impact Armada had on it.

As I've said in my first post(in which I praised everything else) I'm fully aware of the docu's original premise. But in the first episode it's mentioned that it's about the '7 greatest players who at their time ruled the world' which I think sends a false message. And while I understand USA was to be at it's focus you gotta understand that if you consider the endless amount of thrashtalk, continental rivalry and discussion the past years, the effort the euro players have shown to do have more of an impact on the USA scene, and that we struggled with acknowledgment from the USA scene in the same way as the whole community struggled with acknowledgment from the FGC, not properly getting represented in this docu, that will get so much exposure and will likely be the only thing some people will see about our community, is kind of a blow. And while I'm sure that wasn't intentional by Samox I hope you can understand that.

But like Jeapie said, whats done is done and while I wish things could have been different let's celebrate the end product as it's amazing regardless and share it as much as we can :)

Edit: It's featured on Kotaku now - link

Crocnoc

Smash Rookie
Someone's posted this on Kotaku, nice to see it's getting around more.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I would have liked to seen more Armada, I didn't like how it was never stated that at one point Armada was considered the best player in the world. They should have forgone that episode with KDJ and do one with Armada instead, other than that it was pretty good though.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Man, I have finally finished this thing. So emotional, for so many reasons. I teared up at least 3 times. I openly sobbed at the end as I heard what the community meant to people, and how it reminded me of what it meant to me. I was so lucky.

I've always known that this time of my life was a special one, of course. I didn't need the documentary to tell me that. I got to be a part of a unique slice of history in this very wonderful community. I got to enjoy the rivalries as they developed and changed in an activity that barely existed when I started. I even got to contribute a bit of happiness back to people through our events. But how lucky does a guy have to be to not only been able to live through this time, but also to have such a wonderful source to go back to anytime I want to remember those days? Not only that, but my wife now has a perspective that she was never able to have through conversation alone. For all of this, I thank you many times over, Travis. I will keep these videos forever, and will use them as inspiration as I continue to seek my new path to brighten others' lives.

I respect every one of the Smashers interviewed for this project. They all brought something that we never saw again. They all brought their own stories. I think that Travis has captured them all extremely well. I wish I had more to say, but this essentially captures the community in exactly the way it was, with both of its positives and negatives. It is so good that anything I have to say would be nitpicking, and I'd rather be thankful.

To those of you old friends out there who have been in the community for a long time and have shown up again on Smashboards thanks to this, hi. Hopefully I saw you at FC Legacy. If I didn't, drop me a line and let me know how you're doing. I'd love to hear where life took you. As it turns out, I am a pretty lucky guy.

Tustin Lee

Smash Rookie
Samox, as many have said before, THANK YOUTHANK YOUTHANK YOU SO MUCH. As someone who had a hard time entering the smash scene, this really shone a bright light to the dark light that is the smash bros competitive scene. When I first entered smash, all these names just poured onto me like M2K, Ken and other names. I had no idea who they were and no where could I start to find the info in a concise and simple way. This documentary really really captured the details and information to get to know how the scene came to be, but most importantly it gave me that view of the game I used to have before trying competitive that smash wasn't always about winning and getting money, but just simply having fun and hanging out with friends. Thanks again for this wonderful documentary, I see that this has gained you tons of attention a well from the league of legends community, you might wanna contact montecristo and MLG Pukett to take advantage of this situation.
P.S Where can I find the intro song for all of the episodes? The electronic one that at the beginning of all the episodes.

samox

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the love guys.

Quickly:
1. Please do what you can to spread it around. The remaster will exist concurrently with the current incarnation of the series, so, no real worries there.
2. I have no plans at this time to extend this particular series with more episodes - BUT - I may produce more smash related projects in the future (certainly gaming related projects).
3. Downloads of the series will be made available after the remaster comes out.
4. The title track "Juicy Fruit" by Huw Williams is available on Amazon. Tracks composed by Luca and Jeff Felkowski may not be up yet for download. I'm prodding them to make them available. Same with Captain Cleveland.

Just finished the Live On Three podcast. I have to take a quick break. I'll be back later to answer more questions!

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
I've only seen the first 3 episodes so far. This is an amazing and very interesting documentary, very well done, good job samox.
This documentary makes me wish I became a part of the smash community earlier. I started playing back in I would guess 2004, but I didn't start paying attention to competitive until about a year ago, and my first tournament isn't until this December.
Better late than never I guess.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I must say, after watching the Live on Three podcast, I realize a lot more how significant this accomplishment was

Very rarely does a project this big in scope actually come to fruition

Yeah, there are areas that could use improvement, but overall, this is one of the best things ever to happen to the community. Thank you so much for the work you put into this, and hope to see you at smash events in future.

SVJ-Ness

Smash Rookie
I had to register just to say that this was outstanding. I've never been exposed to the world of smash tournaments or what you guys do, but you have my attention and appreciation. I hope this spreads around as much as possible to the benefit of everyone.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Amazing documentary, congrats for the big effort. I really enjoyed the first six parts, probably I will rewatch some time.

I felt last two lacked the depth of the others. Focusing all the action on a small event (ep 8), without the commentator, losing the timeline with the others since the intended exclusion of non-American players (Armada is barely mentioned), are all things which let me down. Last episode could have been much more interesting. The comeback of Smash at EVO, the comeback of Ken. An analysis of mains should have been pointed out, the game has developed so much in depth that many chars which seemed inviable at some point became so, with top16 being beautifully heterogeneus in mains at EVO.

The others I really enjoyed, much beyond expectation. Congrats and a big thanks for bringing this documentary together! It's a great, touching, in-depth film.

Souls

Smash Rookie
20 minutes into episode 6, really well done documentary. Like it had me hyped, laughing, and even sad at times. It's also what pushed me to join here and try to get into the competitive scene myself.

Top Bottom