• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Affiliates - Making appearances here and there since 2006

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
YES!

I want to hold a TSA meeting sometime in the near future, see what everyone else is up to and let them know what I'm planning to do.

LOL EVERYONE AT EMBLEM LORD'S HOUSE LIKE THE OL' DAYS

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
<3 you guys.

I'm visiting some venues this weekend ranging from hotel conference rooms to smaller halls. It looks like I'm aiming for after Apex, maybe late Jan to Feb.

I might post about doing a meeting when the new year comes around - all my weekends are booked this month, or otherwise I would do it sooner.

I'm mad hyped about this thing, even if it starts out small. Gradually, I want to make something huge.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
All right, so let's meet on January 5th if possible at my place. We'll have some games, do our usual thing, explain what I want to do, and show you guys the venue.

It is amazing. In fact, hot and amazing. You'll love it. :bee:

Please let me know if you can come.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I can maybe go to Apex on a Saturday. My schedule is still a little hectic that weekend.

In other news, we're officially signed on for Jan 26th. Either today or tomorrow, I'll start a tournament thread.

AS WITH TSA TRADITION, SENSEI NEEDS TO COME UP WITH A NEW NAME FOR THIS NEW SERIES. In a related topic, I asked Emblem Lord what name he thinks we should have, something that's related to how we've been naming our tournaments and how this is sort of a revival, and he said "SMASH-urrection." But, uh... yeah.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
12/09/12 -The Smash Affiliates Present: SMASH-URRECTION! *working title*

It's kinda dull and boring to look at right now, but I just wanted to make sure the thread was up. And before you ask - no, we're not using EL's suggestion. That's just silly. I hope that by Jan 5th, we'll have everything we need.

I'm looking around, but what I need help with now are the rulesets. I have an idea on the entry fees and prizes, but I just would to confer with you guys, especially the ones who are still active tournament players.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
12/09/12 -The Smash Affiliates Present: SMASH-URRECTION! *working title*

It's kinda dull and boring to look at right now, but I just wanted to make sure the thread was up. And before you ask - no, we're not using EL's suggestion. That's just silly. I hope that by Jan 5th, we'll have everything we need.

I'm looking around, but what I need help with now are the rulesets. I have an idea on the entry fees and prizes, but I just would to confer with you guys, especially the ones who are still active tournament players.
ROM 5 ruleset is pretty good I think.

If you can get in touch with Cactuar, he can probably point you in the right direction.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Some pictures of the venue. Most of these are going to be posted on the tournament thread. The venue renters were nice enough to make a mock setup for us.

ALSO: The picture of the stairs leading down goes to somewhere... exclusive. Most of you who spoke to me on FB already know what it is. I just need to know how I want to execute it during the event. :D

Opinions?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
To be honest, it was just an itch I had to just start running these again. I got enough of a push from some people to really give this a go, so here I am, giving it as much as I can with the little spare time I can manage. I'd love for these to be something more permanent, but I suppose it depends on how this event fares.

Some more venue info:

There's a Charlie Brown literally next door, but if you can't find the time to eat there, they deliver. QuickChek and 7-11 are also walking distance away.

For a little more variety, downtown Westfield is about a mile away. It has a bunch of shops and places to eat, including Chipotle and Qdoba, Subway, Jersey Mike's and Nathan's, a Starbucks, and other small shops. Windmill is a great hotdog place and one of my favorite places to eat, though it's a bit on the pricey side.

For public transportation, there's a bus stop right across the street from the venue that I'll research into. For trains, the Raritan Valley Line from Newark Penn leads to downtown Westfield, and then you just go down the street to make it to the venue.

I haven't looked too much into detail yet if we need hotel information, but there is a Best Western in Westfield, and a Holiday Inn a bit further ways into Clark.

Overall, I think this is a great location, not only because of how amazing the space is, but also because it's easy to get to, and there are a variety of places to eat.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Hey Chibo, WoZ said he'd prefer two streams, one from each of us.

I don't think my stream channel has a following. Can we both broadcast using your channels?

GOTM

Smash Champion
Hey WoZ, I was just curious as to how you were thinking of running the tournament. I've been tossing around some ideas with people lately and I know different types of seeding for bracket have been discussed recently through mediums such as Scars podcast and the boards.

I'm definitely not trying to start a debate or even too long of a discussion, but I just wanted to get a feel for how you envisioned running things depending on the turnout/amount of setups.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Originally, I did envision that this thing wasn't going to be that big, and I prefer it that way. This tournament is more of a small beta test for me to get back into my groove and familiarize myself with the modern rulesets. I didn't expect anything like pools to happen, I just thought to do random seeding with courtesy to location or crews and such, and it'll end up in a normal double elimination bracket.

Should I go ahead and do pools, though? Is it a normal thing to have these days, even at a tournament this smaller scale? These are some of the things I'm trying to discover as I'm going along this process. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Sneak: I'm probably going to be working. :/

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Hey Chibo, WoZ said he'd prefer two streams, one from each of us.

I don't think my stream channel has a following. Can we both broadcast using your channels?
Unfortunately there's no way to stream consecutively to a single channel really, and also having two streams of a single game from a single event can get messy and really split up stuff. Since NEC 13 I've been doing some re-broadcast type work, and people seem to enjoy it a lot.

I'm thinking if you still want sort of a live experience from other recorded videos, when the event is over I can kick up a broadcast with all of the matches that were on the non-stream setup so people can watch them semi-live, or at least all chatting with each other while watching them before they hit youtube.

If you want to see anything specific from the stream def let me know and I can make it happen.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Originally, I did envision that this thing wasn't going to be that big, and I prefer it that way. This tournament is more of a small beta test for me to get back into my groove and familiarize myself with the modern rulesets. I didn't expect anything like pools to happen, I just thought to do random seeding with courtesy to location or crews and such, and it'll end up in a normal double elimination bracket.

Should I go ahead and do pools, though? Is it a normal thing to have these days, even at a tournament this smaller scale? These are some of the things I'm trying to discover as I'm going along this process. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Sneak: I'm probably going to be working. :/
Pools are still ran just the same as they were in the past (still terrible ways to seed a bracket in my opinion, but they give you a lot more matches). I've been trying to run my own and do Swiss to seed into bracket, but I haven't actually tried it live yet and you need a lot of setups.

I would say just stick with your plan for the first one.

Kalzar

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I'm not really sure if this is where I should post this but anyway I'm a Louisiana smasher that is currently visiting New York in manhattan. If anyone is available and possible wants to play some smash in the next few days let me know

:phone:

:phone:

Top Bottom