• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

RustyRick

Smash Rookie
NNID
RustyRick
EDIT: I'm becoming convinced that I need training somewhere other than For Glory, what do you guys recommend? I would go on Anther's, but my Internet is too inconsistent.
I assume the best option is to just look around here for a topic on fellow Smash players seeking local training partners or try checking Anther's there for any map-specific locations of people living near you.

On my end, I need some help with some technical explanation. What's the difference between sweetspot and sourspot? I assume that sweetspot is when a moveis at it's strongest when you initiate it, and the sourspot is when it still has a hitbox during a delayed attack that still does minor damage, but no real knockback?

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I assume the best option is to just look around here for a topic on fellow Smash players seeking local training partners or try checking Anther's there for any map-specific locations of people living near you.

On my end, I need some help with some technical explanation. What's the difference between sweetspot and sourspot? I assume that sweetspot is when a move is at it's strongest when you initiate it, and the sourspot is when it still has a hitbox during a delayed attack that still does minor damage, but no real knockback?
Sweetspots are hitboxes on various attacks and various frames of said attacks (character depending) that do more damage and knockback than usual. The tip of Marth's sword is possibly the most well known sweetspot. Sourspots are on the opposite end of the spectrum, doing less damage and knockback than usual (the rest of Marth's sword is one big sourspot.)

Last edited:

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
I've played the 3DS version for the longest time, because I must be one of 4 people in the world who prefers the controls. The buttons respond better, I prefer the feel of the analogue stick, and there's no confusion over the shoulder buttons. Plus I feel less disconnected from what's happening on screen, which is very important.

I can't use my 3DS on Wii U for online play and I have no idea which controller is the best alternative. The Wii U gamepad feels horribly big and I really don't like the Gamecube pad. I don't think I can afford the rising prices of a Wii U pro controller either-!

Nah

Smash Champion
Is the Youtube uploader feature not working for anyone else? I was trying to upload a couple of replays and it played them back like normal but then as soon as it was done, instead of going to the part where it begins the actual uploaed, the screen (both on the TV and the gamepad) went black and everything became unresponsive, making me have to shut it down.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Is the Youtube uploader feature not working for anyone else? I was trying to upload a couple of replays and it played them back like normal but then as soon as it was done, instead of going to the part where it begins the actual uploaed, the screen (both on the TV and the gamepad) went black and everything became unresponsive, making me have to shut it down.
Actually, this happened to me too. Didn't think much of it at the time for some reason, but now that you mention it, it might be a problem?

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys - I'm trying to find nearby tournaments to enter, but I'm not sure where in the Tournament Listings subforum I should go to look for stuff close to Delaware (east cost). Is that Atlantic South or something else?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey guys - I'm trying to find nearby tournaments to enter, but I'm not sure where in the Tournament Listings subforum I should go to look for stuff close to Delaware (east cost). Is that Atlantic South or something else?
Atlantic North. It's just that Delaware has, like, zero tournaments.
The latest one I could find was this one, which was on the 5th page and already happened 2 months ago.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's a small state. I'll have to look and see if there's anything in the surrounding states. Thanks for the help!

abx

Smash Journeyman
So lately I was experiencing something odd. I am playing mainly in online mode, especially for Fun and For Glory, so I' not sure if this is an issue with online play or a general thing. I'm also playing 3DS only.

So what I was noting is that I sometimes can't jump in the air. This usually happens when I'm offstage and in hitstun, resulting in me slowly falling towards the lower blast zone. "But abx", you might say, "you probably just used your second jump accidentally and got hit right after!" This might be true for some instances, but I have my doubts since this happened to me when I was playing with King Dedede and I'm positive that I didn't used up all my five jumps and forgot about it. I hadn't the chance to try something else like a special move in time so I don't know if other inputs work. It only happens rarely (but more often when playing with certain persons). I haven't seen someone falling down when offstage as if they couldn't jump. It never lasts beyond getting KO'd, i.e. when I respawn, jumping works fine again, eventually until it happens again in the same battle.

Now I'm curious. I couldn't verify some issues with my hardware. (i.e. 3DS). So it's either some online play issue or some mechanic I'm overlooking. Something that can plausibly explain how King Dedede can loose all his jumps without the player noticing. Does anybody have some suggestions?

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
^I have had similar experiences too. There are times when I know it's just that I inputted jump and got hit just after doing so so I lost my jump, but there have also been times where I'm like where the **** did my double jump go I definitely should've still had it.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
This game kinda likes stealing your Double Jump a lot. It happens even in offline.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I actually came across a thread where one guy had trouble in a grab combo because he kept losing his jump in the middle of it somehow, and nobody could really explain it properly. Personally, as a Yoshi main, where you really have to pay attention to whether or not you still have your double jump, 9 times out of 10 I'm able to keep track of it correctly. Doesn't really make sense for Dedede with his 5 jumps, though.

I'm kinda confused about the hitstun on ground spikes. When I Fair spike the opponent with Yoshi into the ground, two things can happen: either they have an extremely high amount of hitstun and I can combo it into practically anything, or they're able to act out of it immediately. What's happening?

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
I have heard that smash 4 has ceased development but I constantly hear "they're gonna patch this out" or "so this is what I want for the next patch" so I'm kinda confused. Do people just not know the patches have stopped or have I been misinformed?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I have heard that smash 4 has ceased development but I constantly hear "they're gonna patch this out" or "so this is what I want for the next patch" so I'm kinda confused. Do people just not know the patches have stopped or have I been misinformed?
I've heard that too but then patch 1.1.5 came out. Apparently they only said no more DLC, but balance patches will still go on, and obviously they'll have to patch out glitches.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Hi! I recently learned how to perfect pivot (almost) consistently, but I don't know what to do with it now. What are some uses of perfect pivoting, and why is it "important"?

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
If this is the wrong thread for posting this in, I apologise, and will take it to the right place, but I thought here would be fine. It's a question about Smash Wii U Texture Mods. Is there anybody knowledgeable in this department who can help me (or direct me to a thread or something where I can get help)?

Basically, I want to know whether I can use Brawl texture hacks in Smash 4. I would REALLY like to have this in Smash Wii U - http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211063.

Is this at all possible? I already have my Wii U set up to run Smash Wii U mods, have the dump of the game, Sm4shExplorer etc.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hi! I recently learned how to perfect pivot (almost) consistently, but I don't know what to do with it now. What are some uses of perfect pivoting, and why is it "important"?
I'm pretty sure the MySmashCorner video explains it, but it's helpful in case you need that burst of speed in a match, whether you use it to fade into an attack, or to follow up after an attack knocked back the enemy too far. Some combos only work if you PP into one of the moves. You won't use perfect pivoting very much (unless you're Little Mac), but it can be helpful every now and then.

Last edited:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I struggle against characters that are difficult to zone-mostly little mac and captain falcon could I have help?

Katuro117

Smash Rookie
Is there a fast way to execute tilts with the main stick? (no c-stick) If I don't wait, I just smash attack.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
If it is air dodged am I executing the down B too slowly? Also if I up throw and jump to thunder so that it spikes them down that also can't be air dodged, right?

Thanks in advance!
One can escape dthrow-> Thunder quite easily with DI, so this might be your issue rather than just being too slow. Next Tim you use it, look at the angle they get launched at and make sure it'd be able to hit even if they didn't airdodge. If not, well... there's your answer.

Kung Fu

Smash Rookie
One can escape dthrow-> Thunder quite easily with DI, so this might be your issue rather than just being too slow. Next Tim you use it, look at the angle they get launched at and make sure it'd be able to hit even if they didn't airdodge. If not, well... there's your answer.
I was referring to uthrow.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I was going off of your first question, sorry. Uthrow is pretty much the same case as dthrow, though (except that it's faster, therefore harder to react to which makes it a little bit better), so the same stuff applies- meaning that they can't airdodge out of it, but they can still DI.

RedMarf78

Smash Cadet
How do you DI Ike's upthrow forward air at death percents?
It's best to mix it up between DI-ing forwards or backwards. If they jump straight up and try to fair, backwards DI will make the attack miss. They'd have to shift backwards during their jump to hit you at which point DI-ing forwards would make the attack miss. Basically it becomes guessing game of whether or not they can read (or maybe even react to) your DI.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
How do you dash dance (or, how can i learn how to dash dance) for longish periods of time, like 5 seconds?

LazyFrogRobot MKII

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLaziestFroggy
This question's a bit metaphorical than genuine questioning of the game, so idk where to put it. Here'll have to do, I guess, but if this is an improper place, I'll make a separate thread if it warrants it.

Do you guys noticably feel the remnants of hitstun canceling in smash 4? Do you guys ever wonder how different this game would be if it allowed for the full duration of hitstun to play out, or how much more combos would be true? I think it's an interesting idea to propose.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Kind of character dependent, but if you play a character with high-knockback combos (:4marth: dthrow>uair, :4greninja: uthrow>uair, prepatch :4sheik: dthrow>uair, etc) you definitely get those obvious moments of "this showed up as a combo in training but my opponent can escape it."

I don't think things would be majorly different if it were removed though. There aren't that many combos "ruined" by hitstun canceling, and since jump isn't an option it instead creates 50/50 scenarios where you can potentially get an even bigger punish by baiting and punishing the airdodge.

gosaints70

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has figured out how extracting animations from Smash 4 works yet.

CGod

Smash Cadet
This might sound nooby but how do you pivot grab all the time? Sometimes it will tilt. My controls are the same except L is set to jump and tap jump is off

Luuso

Smash Rookie
What do I put in Hitlag modifier?

I need accurate numbers

EDIT: SPACEJAM'S SMASH CALCULATOR MB *CHILLIN VOICE*

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What do I put in Hitlag modifier?

I need accurate numbers

EDIT: SPACEJAM'S SMASH CALCULATOR MB *CHILLIN VOICE*
There aren't any (english) repositories for hitlag modifiers. Your options are either

1. Use this Japanese table, which lacks special moves.
2. Find the hitlag values in the raw data.

That said, hitlag doesn't actually affect shield advantage outside of projectiles (with minor exceptions that the calculator wouldn't account for anyway), so for most moves you can plug in anything and still get the correct +/- values.

Short answer: it's usually 1.0

Top Bottom