• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
How good does your internet need to be to upload replays to youtube?
Unless your internet connection cuts out frequently, I think you probably should be able to upload replays. That said, it might take a while, so it may be worth it to just try and upload a highlight of a replay or something to test how the uploading process takes.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about this by the way. I don't really have a ton of experience uploading replays to Youtube, but I have uploaded a couple.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
They share literally two moves, fsmash and neutral special, and neither attack is particularly unique (Shadow Ball is more similar to Charge Shot now than it is to Aura Sphere, and even then it's separated from both with its trajectory and recoil properties).

People keep trying to push this point when all they have to do is look closely at the movesets of both characters to see otherwise. I hate when stuff like this spreads around.

Last edited:

DairDEVIL13

Smash Rookie
I've recently received the error code 111-4350 when trying to access Sm4sh DLC on my wii u. I entered this code on support.nintendo.com and it didn't know about it. I talked to an employee from Nintendo through the chat on support.com and she didn't know either! Has anyone received this error code b4, and if so, how do you fix it?

LIMITLESS19

Smash Rookie
I've recently received the error code 111-4350 when trying to access Sm4sh DLC on my wii u. I entered this code on support.nintendo.com and it didn't know about it. I talked to an employee from Nintendo through the chat on support.com and she didn't know either! Has anyone received this error code b4, and if so, how do you fix it?
I've been having the same issue.

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
I hope this is an okay place to ask. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the full final presentation and only caught a couple of minutes during the Bayonetta part, but did they mention anything about balance patches continuation after all the DLC is released?

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I hope this is an okay place to ask. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the full final presentation and only caught a couple of minutes during the Bayonetta part, but did they mention anything about balance patches continuation after all the DLC is released?
I don't think balance patches were mentioned at all during the direct. My guess is that if we hear anything about whether they'll continue after all the DLC is released, that'd probably happen once that DLC is released. At this point, I don't think we know for sure whether they will or not though...

Last edited:

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
I don't think balance patches were mentioned at all during the direct. My guess is that if we hear anything about whether they'll continue after all the DLC is released, that'd probably happen once that DLC is released.
Dang, thanks. I really hope they keep them going, though. I'd like to see custom specials for all the DLC characters too, but I don't think that's as likely.

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
What control scheme do y'all use in a competitive environment? How do you hold the controller? I just use my thumb on the left stick, and I don't use the right stick for smash/aerial moves at all. How do the pros usually do it? Also, I switched Y to grab, rather than having another jump button, and I never use tap jump (it drives me batty trying to do up-tilts with it on).

DairDEVIL13

Smash Rookie
What control scheme do y'all use in a competitive environment? How do you hold the controller? I just use my thumb on the left stick, and I don't use the right stick for smash/aerial moves at all. How do the pros usually do it? Also, I switched Y to grab, rather than having another jump button, and I never use tap jump (it drives me batty trying to do up-tilts with it on).
The c-stick (right stick) should be used for aerials as it allows you to input them without having to DI in the direction of the aerial. For example, performing a dair with the control stick (left stick) forces you to DI backwards because you are inputting in the opposite direction with your control stick. If you use the c-stick whle performing a dair, you can dair in place. The c-stick should also be used for smash attacks as it allows you to perform running up-smashes. Tap jump shoud be switched off because it makes it difficult to perform upairs without unintentionally double jumping.

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
Okay. What do you do for face buttons? Do you have Y as grab or do you use it for shield, or maybe make X shield and Y jump, so you can press Y+A to grab?

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
If I main Lucario, who would be best as a proper secondary for that? (In your own opinion, at least.)

DairDEVIL13

Smash Rookie
If I main Lucario, who would be best as a proper secondary for that? (In your own opinion, at least.)
You should have MK as a secondary to Lucario because Lucario is a character with strong attacks and a projectile. MK, on the other hand is a fast, combo-based character. So having MK as your secondary would give you the ability to pick between a fast character and a strong character, depending on the situation. However, your top priority when picking a main is to be comfortable with the character, meaning that it should be a character that you are naturally great at using. Everything else comes after.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
A secondary is meant to cover the weak points of your main. Ask around luc boards to see who covers his bad matchups, and you should be set.

Last edited:

King Marth 64

Smash Rookie
I did heard from Sakurai said it from the previous Direct trailers that we can check the rank to see if our Global Smash Power to see what rank we are at? But, I have trouble looking at in Online Mode to see the GSP Ranking and I wanted to look at the entire list to see where I'm exactly at.

My current GSP overall score was 4,172,225 in the 3DS version and 2,005,049 in the Wii U version = 6,177,274 GSP. But, I just wanted to know if any of you guys know where is the ranking system is at so that I can might check and see if I'm at around low or to closer to high for the Worldwide GSP Board-type system? I know like I'm possibly above any users have 6,177,273 right now like Sakurai mentions about our GSP can be above many people who have lower than we have in the Direct.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I did heard from Sakurai said it from the previous Direct trailers that we can check the rank to see if our Global Smash Power to see what rank we are at? But, I have trouble looking at in Online Mode to see the GSP Ranking and I wanted to look at the entire list to see where I'm exactly at.

My current GSP overall score was 4,172,225 in the 3DS version and 2,005,049 in the Wii U version = 6,177,274 GSP. But, I just wanted to know if any of you guys know where is the ranking system is at so that I can might check and see if I'm at around low or to closer to high for the Worldwide GSP Board-type system? I know like I'm possibly above any users have 6,177,273 right now like Sakurai mentions about our GSP can be above many people who have lower than we have in the Direct.
Every mode has GSP for it's own mode.
You can't know how many people are above you, you can only know how many people you surpassed.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
To tech, I'm supposed to hit shield just before contact with the surface not right then or after, correct?

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
To tech, I'm supposed to hit shield just before contact with the surface not right then or after, correct?
A few frames right before you land so yes just before you make contact. Try practicing it.

Dark_Ky

Smash Cadet
do the airdodges differ from char to char (startup, lag etc.) or do some chars have better airdodges than others?

if yes, is there an airdodge tierlist?

Nah

Smash Champion
do the airdodges differ from char to char (startup, lag etc.) or do some chars have better airdodges than others?

if yes, is there an airdodge tierlist?
There is some variation in airdodge frame data amongst the cast, though it's pretty minor for the most part. For example:
:4robinf:
intangible frames 3-28, FAF is 34

:4mario:
intangible frames 3-27, FAF 33

:4mewtwo:
intangible frames 2-24, FAF 29

There's no list I'm aware of that has them all ranked. You'll kinda just have to look at all the frame data pages and compare for yourself.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
It's funny to me how people always talk about how long Mewtwo's airdodge is when it's actually one of the shortest in the game.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Is there a frame 1 airdodge or aerial? (Need the info for rage/staling testing)

If Shiek's Dthrow isn't a two-hit true combo, is there a way to escape?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
any option with frame 1 invincibility or armor would be able to escape, such as Rest or Yoshi's double jump. However, there aren't any airdodges that come out that fast- the closest we get there is frame 2. airdodges are seriously busted holy crap

InfinitySoul

Smash Apprentice
Sometime I short up and press C stick to make an aerial attack. But my character does a nair instead of aerial in the direction I inputed ? Can someone tell mee why ?

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Sometime I short up and press C stick to make an aerial attack. But my character does a nair instead of aerial in the direction I inputed ? Can someone tell mee why ?
Assuming you use the Y button to jump, is it possible that you're grazing the A button with your thumb on the way down to the C Stick? I used to have this problem.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Does anyone have the frame data for Mewtwo's foxtrot (part of dash where you cannot shield)?

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I always just play this game very slowly and off of reaction. How do I get out of this

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has already been asked someplace but I've been trying to use perfect pivots and I have been able to get two different animations to happen.

1. The character perfect pivots and dust from the initial dash still comes up.

2. The character perfect pivots and NO dust from the initial dash comes up.

https://youtu.be/6vaR4RM-qr0?t=31

The first two perfect pivots starting at the point that I have linked in MSC's video show what I mean. I am getting the feeling that one travels farther than the other or moves quicker or something.

Anyone?

ToinTheBoi

Smash Rookie
This has come to my curiosity lately.
Does anyone know why sometimes it feels like when I do an aerial my character automatically moves a bit to the left or right???

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
If you tilt the c stick between straight up and completely to the right, you get a neutral version of whatever your c stick is mapped to. I think it's probably that.

This has come to my curiosity lately.
Does anyone know why sometimes it feels like when I do an aerial my character automatically moves a bit to the left or right???
There's a video about using this to survive a couple percent longer when hit off the side. It moves your hutrbox a bit but generally does not effect your momentum.

What inputs do you use to move and Nair consistently without doing fair?
Let the left analogue stick return to the middle. Press A. The angle you would need to tilt the c stick at is super awkward so that's the easiest way afaik.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has already been asked someplace but I've been trying to use perfect pivots and I have been able to get two different animations to happen.

1. The character perfect pivots and dust from the initial dash still comes up.

2. The character perfect pivots and NO dust from the initial dash comes up.

https://youtu.be/6vaR4RM-qr0?t=31

The first two perfect pivots starting at the point that I have linked in MSC's video show what I mean. I am getting the feeling that one travels farther than the other or moves quicker or something.

Anyone?
It depends on when you PP. If you PP at the end of the dash animation you get the dust but if you PP at the beginning you don't, this also explains the distance difference.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
It depends on when you PP. If you PP at the end of the dash animation you get the dust but if you PP at the beginning you don't, this also explains the distance difference.
Thanks.

That's kind of annoying then I guess. For characters with short perfect pivots like Charizard, the drop in distance makes the tech nearly worthless.

And it complicates my labbing a whole lot. Oh well.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Thanks.

That's kind of annoying then I guess. For characters with short perfect pivots like Charizard, the drop in distance makes the tech nearly worthless.

And it complicates my labbing a whole lot. Oh well.
Yeah, some characters' PP are fairly worthless.

Top Bottom