• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Anthonio WIlliams

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so me and my brother started playing the game casually so we can get customs, equipment, and the competitve stages but what Im focused on is the customs.

So, any advice for the quickest way of unlocking them?

ProphetEyes

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProphetEyes
So as a new player who can't really decide on a main, and has messed around with this game for a few weeks, would you more experienced players recommend that I just stick with Mario until I understand the fundamentals more and can start winning with him? I've been doing some reading on learning fighting games and it seems to be suggested often to start with Ryu in SF. Is it recommended to start with Mario for new players, as he is the Ryu of Smash, more than any other character?

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
So as a new player who can't really decide on a main, and has messed around with this game for a few weeks, would you more experienced players recommend that I just stick with Mario until I understand the fundamentals more and can start winning with him? I've been doing some reading on learning fighting games and it seems to be suggested often to start with Ryu in SF. Is it recommended to start with Mario for new players, as he is the Ryu of Smash, more than any other character?
Mario is pretty much clear as crystal as far as displaying your skill at the game, even though there're probably some other characters that are even easier to learn. Get good at Mario, and it's just plain obvious that you put the time in. Go for it!

Last edited:

ProphetEyes

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProphetEyes
Mario is pretty much clear as crystal as far as displaying your skill at the game, even though there're probably some other characters that are even easier to learn. Get good at Mario, and it's just plain obvious that you put the time in. Go for it!
Thanks for advice! I am up in the air right now between Mario and Pit. I asked DaBuz pretty much the same question today on his stream and he said if I'm looking for the most balanced fighter to learn with to go for Pit. I had already been playing as Pit for the last two days and am thinking about Mario and messing around with him today. Still can't decide though.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Thanks for advice! I am up in the air right now between Mario and Pit. I asked DaBuz pretty much the same question today on his stream and he said if I'm looking for the most balanced fighter to learn with to go for Pit. I had already been playing as Pit for the last two days and am thinking about Mario and messing around with him today. Still can't decide though.
Another good choice to check out is Greninja. He relies on being able to use every one of his moves to their full potential (he has no useless moves, which is very rare), so he'll be good for teaching how to consider all of your options and not neglect any.

Pit is another solid choice. Just...just don't get too heavy on the Upperdash Arm.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: LOL wrong thread

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Is there a list on the most to least popular characters?

I hear Event Hubs is unreliable (at least for tier lists), so where can I find it?
It's mostly just curiosity, though

shadowrohas

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure where else to ask this so I'll ask this here.

I was playing on Smash Ladder earlier today, and I fought a R.O.B. who was really on my skill level, we kept taking games from each other. Naturally, I was trying to figure out the matchup (I was playing Link), and eventually I tried just taking his gyro and using my boomerang and arrows to out zone him while keeping the gyro for myself so he couldn't use it.

Of course, this made me seem like a "FG Link" so to speak, moving to one side of the stage to out zone him, and moving to the other side. He only had his laser which I'd shield and I'd continue the cycle until he was around 170%, then I'd throw the gyro, and get the kill on him some way or another.

Was this a bad thing to do? I mean, it helped me with the matches, but, I don't really feel right about it.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973

I was playing on Smash Ladder earlier today, and I fought a R.O.B. who was really on my skill level, we kept taking games from each other. Naturally, I was trying to figure out the matchup (I was playing Link), and eventually I tried just taking his gyro and using my boomerang and arrows to out zone him while keeping the gyro for myself so he couldn't use it.

Of course, this made me seem like a "FG Link" so to speak, moving to one side of the stage to out zone him, and moving to the other side. He only had his laser which I'd shield and I'd continue the cycle until he was around 170%, then I'd throw the gyro, and get the kill on him some way or another.

Was this a bad thing to do? I mean, it helped me with the matches, but, I don't really feel right about it.
To quote someone from the Yoshi Boards:
"People see projectile spam and think of it as cheap, without realizing why they think that. Say you're playing a game as a Ganondorf vs a Villager on FD. The Villager is up a stock but is at high percents and you want to close it out. He decides to throw a Gyroid at you. Your options are as follows. Block it, avoid it, beat it out, or take the hit. Clearly you don't want to take the hit so that option is out of the picture. You decide to block it. Great job, he sent another gyroid at you. You think to yourself ok well "my shield won't last forever and I need to get in a bit faster", so you decide to beat them out. This worked once, but failed the next 2 times. Finally you decide, "**** it, I'll just jump over them". You avoid every Gyroid but the second you get close to him he effortlessly throws and slingshots you away only to get to the other side of the stage and start over again.
Now lets not look at what's wrong with this picture and look at what actually happened. Ganon wanted to approach, but the projectiles were limiting the way he could do that, so that by the time he found a way to get around the projectiles being thrown at him, the Villager knew what he was going to do and reacted accordingly before he could do it. That is zoning. Zoning is the use of projectiles to control space and limit your opponents options. At high levels of play in fighting games, the damage is rarely the reason a projectile is thrown. They're used as zoning tools to put the game's pace in your control."

So, basically....no, not really. They have to find a way around it, just like any other strategy a player might use. If they can't, that's on them. Bringing up Yoshi again, people dislike him for the same reason they hate camping: they can't find a way around either of them. There's ways around both of them- pretty easy ones, in fact- but people just don't see the answer, and are more inclined to call them cheap than try to find better ways to beat them.

That being said....honestly that was pretty smart of you to do. Link has enough projectile options to keep Rob away, so he doesn't have to worry about losing his A moveset while holding the gyro. Nicely done.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick

A W is a W, doesn't matter how you got it.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
sometimes i just feel like im not getting better, and trust me ive tried everything, from the character forums skype groups anthers ladder you name it, i just am not seeing improvement at all. Unfortunately losing is not fun, and sometimes i feel like giving up, any one have any advice for someone who is in this spot

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I know about fox trotting, but I'm wondering what the pros are doing to get such high agility with their characters. They can move them back and forth and get out the tilts and correct inputs on demand. When I'm trying something like this, it's usually all landing lag, dash attacks, and huge amounts of lag from ending a dash before I can get an attack out quick enough.

Are there techs pros are using to keep their mobility at such a responsive rate? Dash cancels? Some landing-lag canceling tech perhaps? I remember Brawl having it, but am unsure about SSB4.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Does anyone have any issues with choking in a match, and finishing it off? I was playing someone yesterday, I was about to 3 stock him, I had 150 w/ 3 stocks and he had 90 with 1 stock. I was confident and thought I had it in the bag. Then I lose the stock to a throw (wario btw), then get stage spiked at 30%, then Im scared, and I am playing scared. He is a defensive player and I was fishing for the kill and was just playing so bad and it caused me lose to a fart later on. I don't understand how I could be beating someone badly and lose, it made me really mad too. Just thinking about how I blew it really upsets me greatly.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme, where I am dominantly taking games but when it comes down to me in danger of losing the set I may choke. Happened in a tournament once where all I had to do was finish him off but got scared, and lost. I was devastated and to be honest it makes me discouraged to continue that game if these things keep happening.

How do I avoid letting people come back cause I get scared? I hate losing a lot and in fear of losing a serious set or tournament match knowing I will not be happy I play scared which causes me to play terrible, I just wanna not let this happen again

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Does anyone have any issues with choking in a match, and finishing it off? I was playing someone yesterday, I was about to 3 stock him, I had 150 w/ 3 stocks and he had 90 with 1 stock. I was confident and thought I had it in the bag. Then I lose the stock to a throw (wario btw), then get stage spiked at 30%, then Im scared, and I am playing scared. He is a defensive player and I was fishing for the kill and was just playing so bad and it caused me lose to a fart later on. I don't understand how I could be beating someone badly and lose, it made me really mad too. Just thinking about how I blew it really upsets me greatly.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme, where I am dominantly taking games but when it comes down to me in danger of losing the set I may choke. Happened in a tournament once where all I had to do was finish him off but got scared, and lost. I was devastated and to be honest it makes me discouraged to continue that game if these things keep happening.

How do I avoid letting people come back cause I get scared? I hate losing a lot and in fear of losing a serious set or tournament match knowing I will not be happy I play scared which causes me to play terrible, I just wanna not let this happen again
The way I usually look at it is that you have to keep yourself "outside" the game, if that makes sense. A pro player has to do this already in order to understand that every playable character has a human player behind their every action. Apply this to yourself. Are you starting to panic? Recognize that. Realize that yes, you may have been put in a worse spot, but you still have the advantage and letting yourself freak out is just going to waste it. Instead, harness that panic, and use it as a motivator to take the other player down for good. All you have to do is make sure it doesn't control you.

All in all, you have to make sure you keep playing the way you were playing, because that's what got you the lead in the first place. Yes, the opponent is going to fight you every step of the way, because that's what opponents do, and making comebacks is what top players do. It's up to you to meet their every move with a cool head and a smart choice.

Hope I could help a little bit, I don't really have this issue myself too often but it comes up from time to time.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I was about to 3 stock him, I had 150 w/ 3 stocks and he had 90 with 1 stock. I was confident and thought I had it in the bag. Then I lose the stock to a throw (wario btw), then get stage spiked at 30%, then Im scared, and I am playing scared. He is a defensive player and I was fishing for the kill and was just playing so bad and it caused me lose to a fart later on. I don't understand how I could be beating someone badly and lose, it made me really mad too. Just thinking about how I blew it really upsets me greatly.
The attitude needs to change. Just because you we're winning doesn't mean the rest of the match is yours. When I think about it, to get mad that someone beat you through a comeback is somewhat arrogant. I mean, who's to say your opponent isn't allowed to win? Lots of things can happen in a match; lots of things that don't go your way especially. To think things will go your way because you think it will can be imho a toxic mindset.

When you shift your mindset from "needing to win" to "what can I learn", you worry less about losing and care more about knowing why you're losing. The drive to win is indeed a way to keep yourself going, but this can also get you to only focus on the result itself rather than what it takes to get your desired results; knowing what it will take to win against your opponent.

----------------

If someone has an answer for my question, I'd greatly appreciate it:

A17 said:
I know about fox trotting, but I'm wondering what the pros are doing to get such high agility with their characters. They can move them back and forth and get out the tilts and correct inputs on demand. When I'm trying something like this, it's usually all landing lag, dash attacks, and huge amounts of lag from ending a dash before I can get an attack out quick enough.

Are there techs pros are using to keep their mobility at such a responsive rate? Dash cancels? Some landing-lag canceling tech perhaps? I remember Brawl having it, but am unsure about SSB4.

Last edited:

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
The attitude needs to change. Just because you we're winning doesn't mean the rest of the match is yours. When I think about it, to get mad that someone beat you through a comeback is somewhat arrogant. I mean, who's to say your opponent isn't allowed to win? Lots of things can happen in a match; lots of things that don't go your way especially. To think things will go your way because you think it will can be imho a toxic mindset.

When you shift your mindset from "needing to win" to "what can I learn", you worry less about losing and care more about knowing why you're losing. The drive to win is indeed a way to keep yourself going, but this can also get you to only focus on the result itself rather than what it takes to get your desired results; knowing what it will take to win against your opponent.

----------------

If someone has an answer for my question, I'd greatly appreciate it:
Yeah ik. I've always had too much cockiness, in my head at least, I never show it in person or in chats and stuff, thankfully.

I'm just trying to learn what is going on if I'm losing, instead of getting angry

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I want to up my game a bit, but I know for sure that I still have some habits to break in order to do that. Help please?

Ever since the 3DS game came out, I've been hearing about how much people missed the C-stick during that faze. This got me started thinking, and then I realized... I never actually use the C-stick, in any of the games ever. I always use Control Stick + A for smashes, and Control Stick for aerials. Then I started to believe that my smashes actually come out slower than most people, and I began to wonder. Are there any tangible benefits to using the C-stick as opposed to other methods? I'm also wondering if it is at all possible that the Control Stick only allows you to use charged smashes, and that is why mine come out slower? Or is it all just my imagination...?

Another problem I've had is with my tilts. When I get in the heat of the game, I tend to always flick the control stick simply out of habit from most other games. This of course hinders my ability to perform proper tilts. To do so, is it just a matter of being able to control myself better, or is there an easier way to perform tilts that I am missing besides tilting the control stick halfway?

Finally, I need to learn when to use Spot Dodging and Air Dodging. Is there anything I should be looking for to know when to these as opposed to using an opposing aerial or rolling/shielding?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I want to up my game a bit, but I know for sure that I still have some habits to break in order to do that. Help please?

Ever since the 3DS game came out, I've been hearing about how much people missed the C-stick during that faze. This got me started thinking, and then I realized... I never actually use the C-stick, in any of the games ever. I always use Control Stick + A for smashes, and Control Stick for aerials. Then I started to believe that my smashes actually come out slower than most people, and I began to wonder. Are there any tangible benefits to using the C-stick as opposed to other methods? I'm also wondering if it is at all possible that the Control Stick only allows you to use charged smashes, and that is why mine come out slower? Or is it all just my imagination...?

Another problem I've had is with my tilts. When I get in the heat of the game, I tend to always flick the control stick simply out of habit from most other games. This of course hinders my ability to perform proper tilts. To do so, is it just a matter of being able to control myself better, or is there an easier way to perform tilts that I am missing besides tilting the control stick halfway?

Finally, I need to learn when to use Spot Dodging and Air Dodging. Is there anything I should be looking for to know when to these as opposed to using an opposing aerial or rolling/shielding?
As a 3ds player myself who grew up using a Wii nunchuck to play brawl, I'm obviously the most qualified person to answer this question :p

In all seriousness, using a c-stick doesn't actually make your smash attacks faster- just much easier to use. It requires a bit of finesse to do a pivot Fsmash, for example, and a forward facing one out of a dash is pretty much not going to happen. With a c-stick, both of these are suddenly very easy to do. Not really sure how it interacts with Dsmash out of dash, though I'm assuming it's similar.

As far as aerials go, a c-stick is a major help in proper spacing. As a Puff player myself, spacing aerials properly is key, and c-stick allows you to use whatever aerial you want without affecting your momentum. Retreating Fair comes to mind....

Tilts, unfortunately, do require a bit of control to use properly. The best way to figure them out in the middle of a match is really to just keep playing. Do keep in mind that tilts are basically faster, weaker smash attacks, and the input kind of supports this.

shadowrohas

Smash Rookie
Is there anywhere else I can go to get matches other than Smash Ladder? It's getting really toxic for me there. As I'm switching my main from Wario to Link, I've met nothing but toxic players who constantly complain about zoning and it's getting seriously irritating. One guy even went into my match history and saw that I lost ONE set against a Diddy and he made fun of me about that.

It's giving me a headache at this point going there. I play one or two good matches and the rest of the day is filled with toxicity and it's just getting worse. Then once I start having a headache I don't take in information as well and I end up doing even worse than before, and I'm seriously trying to get better here.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Where do taunt messages show up online? I notice they don't appear in 1v1 FG.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I need someone's opinion: Is a Wii LAN adapter worth an investment?
You can give this thread a read for a debate whether it makes a difference.

http://smashboards.com/threads/netw...n-adapter-list-google-docs-it-matters.399911/

Take this with a grain of salt, but I have my Wii U situated 3 feet from my router. When I had it on Wi-Fi, I had noticeably laggy connections to two different people. When I plugged in an adapter, I would run into somewhat laggy connections, but nothing huge or prolonged.

I must mention there are many possible factors that produced these results.
-On the night where I used Wi-Fi, someone else using the same router had likely been streaming a video. It may or may not have affected the game.
-On nights where I used the adapter, no one was at home.
-The different players I played against were very much likely from different locations and thus have different connections. Biggest wild card here.

In the thread I linked, one poster mentions there is virtually no difference. For me and my internet connection personally, it's a $11-20 insurance the online will have less chances of being a poor experience. It's about as big of a game changer as deciding if pulling one extra sheet of paper towel will guarantee the drink you spilled will be entirely clean up.

Last edited:

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
trying to get familiar with the ruleset and have a few questions so bare with me:
what are the starters and counterpicks?
how many stages can the winner ban?
are there bans in Bo5?
can someone keep banning the same stage? example: say I want to play on SV and opponent knows this, can he just ban it the entire set?
(going to first tournament soon) thanks!

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know if you can disable c stick rolling out of shield so I can smash attack out shield? The lag keeps making me roll even though I drop my shield way before using the c stick thank-you

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Is there a consolidated list (of any level of depth) of youtube channels and twitch streams for smash 4 tournaments?
I think something weekly and classified by region would be super handy.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
You can usually just go to YouTube, type in the name of a character next to the name of the game you're interested in (such as "Game & Watch Brawl"), and the first thing that pops up is tournament videos. If you want a specific tournament or player, just add the name of said tournament or player to find them with ease.

Chances are there is a playlist like you asked for, but until somebody directs you towards one I hope this helps a bit.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
What I'm interested in is watching every single tournament for every single region in the world that plays this game and learning more about the top players in this game/region.
With a game like ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 I'd simply search the title of the game and set the youtube filter to "today" so I could at least know everything that gets uploaded every day. That way I could always know when every individual scene uploaded something and use that as a jump-off point to learn how every tournament in every scene went.

With smash however this is criminally inefficient considering how much online play and "casual" content gets uploaded relating to this game. In the Smash 4 community there are big name uploaders who get the majority of the views coupled with an eternally vast number of streamers who run 10 view streams and upload videos that not a soul in the world watches. My aim is to find the competitive pockets who don't get internet fame, keep up with their scenes so I can be informed and of course learn more about smash 4 from different sources.

Although very large the smash community isn't very flat, in the sense that information and video content visibility is not that good for a majority of the people who create worthwhile content.

Top Bottom