• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok got some questions

Whats the best way to practice not dashing and not tap jumpin,

I need to get tilt attacks more common and up for the jump.

(Ps for tap jump, besides the turn off tap jump option.)

And also is there a good way to get better in smash. Im having trouble beating 8.0 in modes (can't get much damage on opponments before 1 life is lost,)

And lastly im dodging too much i need tips on how to shield more often, and i need good timing tips for it so i don't get grabed and block attacks.

thanks if i get answers

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ok got some questions

Whats the best way to practice not dashing and not tap jumpin,

I need to get tilt attacks more common and up for the jump.

(Ps for tap jump, besides the turn off tap jump option.)

And also is there a good way to get better in smash. Im having trouble beating 8.0 in modes (can't get much damage on opponments before 1 life is lost,)

And lastly im dodging too much i need tips on how to shield more often, and i need good timing tips for it so i don't get grabed and block attacks.

thanks if i get answers
Lot's of questions alright let's get to work.
  1. I think that means, you don't want to turn tap jump off? Anyways, the best way to practice this ironically for me is playing Melee. There's a lot of characters that use up-tilt a lot so you need to make sure you don't jump. The best way though is lightly pressing up on the analog stick and then performing an attack. Otherwise, if you are tap jumping by mistake, for other actions, this means that you are inputting up on the analog stick when you don't want to. The best thing here is precision. Try to avoid diagonal inputs when possible.
  2. In order to not incorrectly dash, the same thing applies. Lightly tap the analog stick left or right. In other words, walk instead of running.
  3. By better in Smash do you mean in single modes or in competitive environments?
  4. It depends on the situation. There are some where you would want to dodge and others where you would want to shield. It'd be better if you can describe the situations you usually face so I can be a bit more descriptive and precise with my answer.
:227:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Lot's of questions alright let's get to work.
  1. I think that means, you don't want to turn tap jump off? Anyways, the best way to practice this ironically for me is playing Melee. There's a lot of characters that use up-tilt a lot so you need to make sure you don't jump. The best way though is lightly pressing up on the analog stick and then performing an attack. Otherwise, if you are tap jumping by mistake, for other actions, this means that you are inputting up on the analog stick when you don't want to. The best thing here is precision. Try to avoid diagonal inputs when possible.
  2. In order to not incorrectly dash, the same thing applies. Lightly tap the analog stick left or right. In other words, walk instead of running.
  3. By better in Smash do you mean in single modes or in competitive environments?
  4. It depends on the situation. There are some where you would want to dodge and others where you would want to shield. It'd be better if you can describe the situations you usually face so I can be a bit more descriptive and precise with my answer.
1 accually i do prefer tap jump off but its incase i forget to turn it off i do that all the time. And thanks for the tip.

2 i figure its no different on practicing not tap jumping

3 both i think i might need to learn all to most techniques that all characters could do. (Not character exclusive techquies)

4 to describe (exluding the hands and master forms) it seems i have trouble shielding against opponments without being grabbed particually the 7.0 and above computers (but players are easier to avoid this problem though.) aka having trouble with timing on shielding so i don't get grabbed.

kardus

Smash Rookie
Does the gannondorf turbo controller farming still work with the latest patch?

D

Deleted member

For some reason when I attempt to download stages online, I can't as it gives me this message.

From what I know, stages aren't saved onto the SD card so this is confusing. I also have plenty of space on my SD card at the same time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I don't think you provided enough information in order to accurately figure out the root cause of the problem and how to fix it. I have had similar instances occur but on the Wii U menu when trying to update games for some reason. However, it stopped occurring at the same time altogether later on without me doing anything. If you say your SD card is has enough space, then you might be encountering a bug in the software.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think you provided enough information in order to accurately figure out the root cause of the problem and how to fix it. I have had similar instances occur but on the Wii U menu when trying to update games for some reason. However, it stopped occurring at the same time altogether later on without me doing anything. If you say your SD card is has enough space, then you might be encountering a bug in the software.

Well the thing with this is that it's actually happening in-game during the online stage download menu, I feel that issue is different than yours as those usually are internet and server related. I will note that I was able to receive a stage from a friend, but the global choice I can't download any stages as I've tried downloading multiples and rebooting the system several times.

The SD card from what I know also isn't utilized for Stage Builder and only screenshots, so this seems to be some odd bug.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Patch 1.0.7 DOES list "various gameplay tweaks".

But replays still work from 1.0.6 so I'm assuming nothing was balanced?

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know why the game awards you stuff you already have? I know you can sell equipment for nigh useless gold, but why trophies? Why do i need over 1 trophy?

mat7772

Smash Cadet
How do you shield immediately while running? My shield comes out like half a second later. :(

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know why the game awards you stuff you already have? I know you can sell equipment for nigh useless gold, but why trophies? Why do i need over 1 trophy?
Because, to be quite honest, it wasn't designed well in this regard. I don't care for it either personally, especially when I get two of the same song during a run!

D

Deleted member

Is there a list that shows all of the characters dash length?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Not sure where I should post this, but I'll try here.
This is a question that applies for both Brawl and Smash 4: Ever since Melee, each new Smash game has felt very stiff and restrictive, why? It feels like I'm constantly fighting against the controls in Brawl and Smash 4. Whenever I can't do what I want to, the game is to blame, because it's restricting me from doing so. However, in Melee, it wasn't like this at all. The controls were smooth and felt natural. If I couldn't do what I wanted to, I was to blame, because I wasn't good enough.
I'm not trying to say Melee is better than Smash 4, but this is something that just makes no sense to me.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You're used to Melee.
I feel like Melee is the most stiff out of any Smash game I've competed in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not sure where I should post this, but I'll try here.
This is a question that applies for both Brawl and Smash 4: Ever since Melee, each new Smash game has felt very stiff and restrictive, why? It feels like I'm constantly fighting against the controls in Brawl and Smash 4. Whenever I can't do what I want to, the game is to blame, because it's restricting me from doing so. However, in Melee, it wasn't like this at all. The controls were smooth and felt natural. If I couldn't do what I wanted to, I was to blame, because I wasn't good enough.
I'm not trying to say Melee is better than Smash 4, but this is something that just makes no sense to me.
There a 3 frame input buffer in Brawl (and I think Smash 4 too) which is not present in 64 or Melee. That might be it.

As a result, a character in Melee can immediately respond to an input, while it can take up to 3 frames (0.05s) to respond in Brawl and Smash 4. This makes Brawl and Smash 4 feel restrictive for a Melee player, while a Brawl/Smash 4 player can feel Melee to be too sensitive.

:231:

D

Deleted member

That can't be it. I play 64 and it feels fine.
I actually know what you're talking about as I went through it myself and honestly still do. With Brawl and Smash 4, there is less control in your movement overall, it's a bit more stiff and I believe it's to make the game more approachable to novices facing people at a higher skill level. When I play Melee I feel like the shackles from Brawl or Smash 4 are off and I can play to my full abilities due to the raw smoothness and depth it has by comparison to Smash 4 and Brawl.

What I've been learning is to accept that this is a different game all together, it's going to be slower and a less fluid generally easier game, and defensive mechanics are also buffed much more so in this game compared to Melee so you have to tone down your offense a bit at times since hitboxes are smaller and air dodges and shielding get in the way. You have to town down your execution a bit and bait a bit more since the game isn't fast enough to play it like Melee and Smash 64 style.

What I'd call this is a "lack of freedom", but you can overcome it with patience. You just have to accept the game for what it is and play accordingly.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
There a 3 frame input buffer in Brawl (and I think Smash 4 too) which is not present in 64 or Melee. That might be it.

As a result, a character in Melee can immediately respond to an input, while it can take up to 3 frames (0.05s) to respond in Brawl and Smash 4. This makes Brawl and Smash 4 feel restrictive for a Melee player, while a Brawl/Smash 4 player can feel Melee to be too sensitive.

Why would they add a delay? That's a stupid design choice.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why would they add a delay? That's a stupid design choice.
I worded it a little poorly. In 64 and Melee, if you input an attack even one frame before the previous attack ends, it won't be executed. However, in Brawl and Smash 4 you can input a move up to 3 frames in advance and it will be executed once the previous one ends.

Both have their ups and downs. Melee rewards precision, while Brawl and Smash 4 reward mind-gaming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Could someone explain simply how to use DI?
2. If I hold down after being launched horizontally, does that mean my trajectory is going downwards but if I hold up, it would go upwards?

Last edited by a moderator:

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
What does TAS stand for? I've seen the acronym TAS thrown around a lot but I'm not sure what it means.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
1. Could someone explain simply how to use DI?
2. If I hold down after being launched horizontally, does that mean my trajectory is going downwards but if I hold up, it would go upwards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNNe3aR5bGc

What does TAS stand for? I've seen the acronym TAS thrown around a lot but I'm not sure what it means.
Tool Assisted Speedrun.
In the case for a non-speedrun, you get a program that can show you the game frame-by-frame (1 frame is the smallest measurement of time in a game, usually either 30 or 60 frames per second (fps)) so you can check if things true combo/how far you can SDI/etc.

iCaptainn

Smash Rookie
During a 2v2 match with the cpu. Without customs or amiibos etc. In the middle of the match a yellow marquee scrolled over the top and mentioned that Dee Dee (who was in the battle at the time) got an upgrade or a speed increase.

What does that mean? Is that referring to the patch that happened or did he gain some sort of boost for performing well during the battle.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
During a 2v2 match with the cpu. Without customs or amiibos etc. In the middle of the match a yellow marquee scrolled over the top and mentioned that Dee Dee (who was in the battle at the time) got an upgrade or a speed increase.

What does that mean? Is that referring to the patch that happened or did he gain some sort of boost for performing well during the battle.
Were you on the Find Mii stage? It's one of the gimmicks that occur there, the Dark Lord randomly buffs or nerfs fighters throughout the course of the match.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone's gotten into the game's code yet. I've heard stuff about Ryu/Roy and potential future dlc tossed around, but I want to know if actual stat values are available yet. Specifically I'm talking about weight, fall speed, and gravity, and where I could find said values.

Nestea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Imthevp
3DS FC
0877-3300-7854
Is there anything that can be done about the "You've reached your posting limit for today" glitch when sending replays? I haven't sent a single replay in a month, yet that message pops up every time I try.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Also, I'd like to know if anyone's gotten into the game's code yet. I've heard stuff about Ryu/Roy and potential future dlc tossed around, but I want to know if actual stat values are available yet. Specifically I'm talking about weight, fall speed, and gravity, and where I could find said values.
They have only found sound effects and victort theme files. Not actual fighter data.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
If someone hits your shield you can't roll it seems (shield stun?). Was it always like this in smash bros games I cant remember?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Shame...hopefully someone can get on that before Nintendo's hack protection becomes air-tight.
I think you misunderstood. All the file from the patch have been found and checked, and the actual files about the fighters (.pac files wich contain the model, animations, speed, weight, etc.) are simply not present there. Only the sound effect and victory music files are present.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I think you misunderstood. All the file from the patch have been found and checked, and the actual files about the fighters (.pac files wich contain the model, animations, speed, weight, etc.) are simply not present there. Only the sound effect and victory music files are present.

.........?

?????????????

Where the heck are they, then?

Last edited:
Top Bottom