• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Hydreigon360

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydreigon360
Is it possible to move horizontally in a short hop only using the analogue stick? I'm really struggling to do so :ohwell:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Is it possible to move horizontally in a short hop only using the analogue stick? I'm really struggling to do so :ohwell:
You mean Short Hopping and moving forward or back? Just input a Short Hop and then move the analog stick forward or back.

:GCX:or :GCY: then :GCR: or :GCL:
Is there any frame data available on Dodge/Rolls ? I can't find anything, thanks.
For every character? I know I have seen this somewhere but I can't recall at the moment. @Aerodrome do you recall where that thread is located?

:227:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
You mean Short Hopping and moving forward or back? Just input a Short Hop and then move the analog stick forward or back.

For every character? I know I have seen this somewhere but I can't recall at the moment. @Aerodrome do you recall where that thread is located?

I believe he means being able to short hop and move horizontally when using up to jump. And the answer to that is yes, but X and Y should be used.

Lolofora

Smash Rookie

Oh thanks for trying. Yeah for most character as I have yet to decide who I should main. I can't find any frame data on ledge option too :(

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
A question... How do I beat :4peach: easily? It was easy for me on stages like battlefield (Note: I hate platformed stages. I prefer omega form) I tried my mains
(:4shulk::4darkpit::4ness::4tlink::4drmario::4kirby:&:4miisword:) and I cannot do it. Even my customs do not work at all. again, any tips? (Also another note: I always battle Level 9 cpu's since I have no wifi to battle on for glory for now.)

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
My thumb keeps slipping off of the gamecube controller's joystick. What do i do?
Depends by controller. what kind do you have? original? or gamestop version? or third party? the rubber pad is supposed to prevent that unless there is a slippery substance on your thumbs (ex: oil, grease, butter) Unless I am wrong like most of the time

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
My thumb keeps slipping off of the gamecube controller's joystick. What do i do?
I replaced my GCN left analog stick with a DualShock 3 stick and my Pro Controller analog sticks with DualShock 4 sticks. I just find Nintendo's analog sticks way too slippery for my thumbs.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Does the 1.0.6 update get rid of all my replays upon downloading?
havent dl'ed m2 b/c i am trying to get my replays recorded on camera and sending them else where but the process is so tedious

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Does the 1.0.6 update get rid of all my replays upon downloading?
havent dl'ed m2 b/c i am trying to get my replays recorded on camera and sending them else where but the process is so tedious
The replays are not deleted, but they will no longer work. So essentially, they are gone.

You can still see your list of replays, but they each have a line crossed over it, saying something like 'this replay is not compatible with the current version.' The only options given to you are 'delete video' or 'delete all videos.'

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
The replays are not deleted, but they will no longer work. So essentially, they are gone.

You can still see your list of replays, but they each have a line crossed over it, saying something like 'this replay is not compatible with the current version.' The only options given to you are 'delete video' or 'delete all videos.'
dang.. alright thx for the quick reply man
looks like im not downloading for a few hours til i get these replays safe :(

DeadPixel

Smash Rookie
Hi all,

I have a problem with For Glory 1-on-1: there seems to be a crazy amount of constant input lag. Not just the odd connection problem, but constant lag of 1-2 seconds to register an input after pressing a button. Completely unplayable. The strange thing is, this only happens in FG 1-on-1, all other modes - online and off - are fine. This started happening about a week ago, and still persists today with the new patch installed. I'm using a pro controller. Any help, please?

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Guys I'm having a problem with the Mii outfits in Smash. This morning before I head off to school I bought the Proto Man outfit and I got the 3DS and Wii U deal, and it was on my 3DS. I got a little message after (assuming it was explaining how to get it to Wii U now) but I skipped it by accident because of me being in a hurry. So, long story short I bought the small bundle for 3DS and Wii U but I'm not sure what to do to get it to the other console now. Do I have to go somewhere on the Wii U eShop?

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Question. Is the Elgato HD60 capture card compatible with AV cables. If not what would you recommend? :nervous:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Any advice for doing dtilts on command? I play with a gamepad, right stick set to smash, and I can't do dtilts consistantly- I get dsmashes instead. Since I play Pika, this is a problem. Help?

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I just set my right analog stick to tilts and do most of my tilts that way. Helped me a lot and improved the hell out of my aerial game because setting it to smash attack hijacks the left stick in this game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is a whats the name question

Whats the name of the remix of the battlefield theme from the 64 version (aka the music on the stage where you fight the fighting polygon team)

This video is playing the song
http://youtu.be/t5TkXFkWK3I

Ps i have ben checking online its not the same name as what it was called in the 64 version, and i know theres a cut version of the song but its saids orginal this clearly is a remix version.

(Assume its a smash 4 song)

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I bought the Wii U version yesterday and already had the 3DS one. Do I have to wait until the 28 and still pay extra money to get my Mewtwo?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I bought the Wii U version yesterday and already had the 3DS one. Do I have to wait until the 28 and still pay extra money to get my Mewtwo?

You save 3$ (rounded up) if you have both version

Another benefit for both version owners

We get certain dlc stuff cheaper. (Most are characters im guessing and i have both versions)

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hi all,

I have a problem with For Glory 1-on-1: there seems to be a crazy amount of constant input lag. Not just the odd connection problem, but constant lag of 1-2 seconds to register an input after pressing a button. Completely unplayable. The strange thing is, this only happens in FG 1-on-1, all other modes - online and off - are fine. This started happening about a week ago, and still persists today with the new patch installed. I'm using a pro controller. Any help, please?
Well it is odd that it only happens in FG. However, if you are sure it's input lag, is your TV in gaming mode? That's one of the first things I did to ensure I removed input lag to its minimum.
Question. Is the Elgato HD60 capture card compatible with AV cables. If not what would you recommend? :nervous:
You can always check the products website to make sure if it is or isn't. They also have multiple models, so I'm sure at least one has to work with AV cables.
Any advice for doing dtilts on command? I play with a gamepad, right stick set to smash, and I can't do dtilts consistantly- I get dsmashes instead. Since I play Pika, this is a problem. Help?
This means you are inputting Down on the Analog Stick and A at the same time. Input downwards on the analog stick first and then press A.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
This is going to sound like such a stupid question: my house has crappy wi-fi, and I want to get the Mewtwo update. If I were to get the update, would I need to bring just the disc, or the Wii U console?

D

Deleted member

Could someone explain to me in detail how in a Tournament environment, you do the entire process of banning stages, counter picking stages, and who gets to pick the first stage? The stuff I've found on Google is rather confusing and not descriptive enough.

Thanks.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Could someone explain to me in detail how in a Tournament environment, you do the entire process of banning stages, counter picking stages, and who gets to pick the first stage? The stuff I've found on Google is rather confusing and not descriptive enough.

Thanks.
http://smashboards.com/rulesets/
The site above should have the info you need unless you play SSB Wii U/3DS...
I'm not certain myself, but I think it goes like this:
-Both players ban one stage
-The player who is chosen to pick the first stage does so
-The match is played
-The winner bans a stage
-The loser picks a stage
-Rinse & repeat

mat7772

Smash Cadet
Bit of a nooby question, when you are running, how do you stop immediately and shield? I see it all the time but idk how to do it. Thanks!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Ive noticed i can perform like a double b reversal.
Whereas inputs include if facing right
:GCX::GCR:----->:GCL:---->:GCB::GCR:

Where the result includes you jumping forward, doing a reverse special, and then b reversing it to cause your character to jump forward then fade back while while still facing forward and executing your special.

This works for neutral specials and side specials (i have yet to test it with other specials) and doesnt work for characters who cant b reverse *caugh samus cough* (i would also imagine it to be difficult on 3ds cuz of dat circle pad)
Edit: just confirmed possible on 3ds
I see viability in spacing, an alternative to commitment to an attack, fake outs, approach options,

Anyone else wanna corroborate?

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
When playing against lvl 8 and 9s in team battle, sometimes a CPU would be glowing and sparkling, what's that?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
What is the maximum amount of degrees that DI can affect the angle of an attack? I've heard that it was 18 in Melee, but I also know that DI was nerfed this game. Looking around, I haven't really seen anything that lists this value, so if somebody could provide it for me that'd help loads.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
When playing against lvl 8 and 9s in team battle, sometimes a CPU would be glowing and sparkling, what's that?
If you have customs on, the cpu will randomly get equipment, and sometimes the equipment the recieve has special bonuses that are indicated by a glow.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What is crouch cancelling and is there a video/tutorial for it? I looked it up quickly and I haven't found anything.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
What is crouch cancelling and is there a video/tutorial for it? I looked it up quickly and I haven't found anything.
I belive crouch canceling is a melee tech, where the act of pressing down diminishes or neglects all knockback while being launched. Idk of the specifics as i do not play melee, but perhaps someone else may enlighten us.

I did however find a video tutorial

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Ive noticed i can perform like a double b reversal.
Whereas inputs include if facing right
:GCX::GCR:----->:GCL:---->:GCB::GCR:

Where the result includes you jumping forward, doing a reverse special, and then b reversing it to cause your character to jump forward then fade back while while still facing forward and executing your special.

This works for neutral specials and side specials (i have yet to test it with other specials) and doesnt work for characters who cant b reverse *caugh samus cough* (i would also imagine it to be difficult on 3ds cuz of dat circle pad)
Edit: just confirmed possible on 3ds
I see viability in spacing, an alternative to commitment to an attack, fake outs, approach options,

Anyone else wanna corroborate?
wavebouncing, is in brawl/pm. very good for mixing up your neutral/approaches.

I belive crouch canceling is a melee tech, where the act of pressing down diminishes or neglects all knockback while being launched. Idk of the specifics as i do not play melee, but perhaps someone else may enlighten us.

I did however find a video tutorial
in depth stuff for crouch canceling (in melee/pm):
True CC is when you are in the crouching animation, then when you are hit you will recieve less knockback b/c you were crouching.
By crouching, you are also holding down, which is also the input for ASDI'ing down (Automatic Smash Directional Influence). ASDI is done by holding a direction when you are hit. After hitlag, ASDI is applied on the first frame of hitstun, and it will move you a little bit in a direction. Thus, fake crouch canceling is when you are on the ground and are hit by an attack that sends you up. You hold down, and if the attack is weak enough, the ASDI down will cause you to land before the knockback sends you away (at low percents, the ASDI will move you more than that first frame of knockback). In PM and melee, all hitstun is cancelled when you land, which allows you to retaliate like in that video. However, this cannot be used against attacks which send you down (spikes/meteors, and some others like Sheik's needles).
Fake CC is different from true CC in that you can fake CC even when you aren't crouching. Ex, if you miss an attack and get hit, you can still fake CC it.

In competitive melee/pm, it is very important to know your CC percents. For example, I play sheik in melee, and her moves are all very good, but they can all be easily CC'd (except needles). Especially in the spacie matchup, she must rely on her tech chase regrab, which is possible to do on reaction. She breaks Fox's CC at 40% and Falco's at 80%.

Note that this is all for melee/pm, and I don't know if this is how it is in smash4.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Old replays are gone, but is there a way to uninstall the patch and then reinstall the patch so we can record our replays one last time? Anybody know a way around this to view replays again?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ J Jesus castro , @ DrizzyDrew DrizzyDrew , I moved your posts to the Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread. Whenever you have questions like these please utilize this thread.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Forward_smash/Knockback_chart

Is there any chart. Im talking about the brawl chart. I know knockback changes since with rage but is there such chart out there? Also is there this type of chart for tilts?
Keep in mind this is for 1.04, changes for 1.06 have yet to be compiled:
http://smashboards.com/threads/comp...-every-character-now-with-ko-percents.383550/
Old replays are gone, but is there a way to uninstall the patch and then reinstall the patch so we can record our replays one last time? Anybody know a way around this to view replays again?
Not that I am aware of unfortunately. If you have the new patch you are unable to go back to 1.04 to view your old replays.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Is there a way to alter the order of custom stages to appear on the vs selection screen without deleting any?

Is there a way to turn on and off specific custom stages for random selection?

Top Bottom