• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Capt. NeckBeard

Smash Rookie
Have the skins (zero suit ones, roy, puff) that the PM team advertised before stopping PM been released for download anywhere?

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I just want the zero suit skins....
Look up SJS's recent ZSS skin. I believe it's the same as the current one except with Theytah's materials and shaders. Although I'm probably wrong. It's your best bet of an official ZSS that's tiers above the rest.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Another alternate is go find a dev- *gets shot*
TBH, i don't know what else could for ya. Recolors based off them would be really sweet and cool ya know.

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
There are actually good alternatives to the PM Alts out there: Jigglypuff - S3C Puff has the headband and there's a Wii U Jigglypuff that includes it
ZSS - like what drogoth232 drogoth232 said SJS' ZSS and Wii U ZSS
Roy - Best bet there are recolors since that Roy is one of a kind

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I found something similar a while back. I made a post on it. Zelda essentially has really weird shaders and rimlighting glitches.
Ledger, Found a couple things with your build.
-Olimar's black and yellow BP is default Brawl
-Even though Bowser has 10 CSPs in the character char_bust_tex_lz77, I only can get 7 in-game
- The CSS grid icon is Smash 3 Marth, not Smash 3C brawl Marth.
Also, I am getting a lot of weird things with Zelda
So if there are 2 OOT Zelda's on the field everything works fine.

However, if one chooses Sheik, Zelda becomes all glossy
View attachment 69660
If Marth is chosen, she loses the shine one the dark red and gloves, but not on the bottom part of the dress,
View attachment 69661
And if pit is chosen, she just becomes lighter. I have no idea why all of these occur though.
View attachment 69662

I think the first two are caused by spec maps on the other characters although this is just speculation. but the last one is just weird.
Each of these happen with multiple characters.

Also, Layell you sly dog on that preview! I could have sworn that wasn't there before.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Can we get a bit of specifics on this Zelda issue. With what characters on what stages is really helpful

I see some stuff happening when played with OoT Sheik on any stage, but am not seeing what is happening with any other combinations.

TPW_ThatOneGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerry-ThatOneGuy
3DS FC
3239-4044-4959
The stage doesn't seem to have any effect, but;

Peach, Yoshi, Cpt. Falcon, Wolf, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Ness, Pit, Dedede, Ike, Marth, Roy, and Sonic make her have a "normal" rimlight.

OoT Zelda, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Samus, Lucas, Kirby, Olimar, R.O.B, Mr. Game & Watch, and Snake give her a nice-looking spec-map with rimlight (was unsure if this is the way its supposed to be)
(with Samus and Squirtle, her dress reflects their "High" texture, rather than the one that appears with everyone else).

Everyone else has issues. The areas affected seem to be her dress and her gloves. All characters are S3 or S3C where applicable.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Does anything more even need to be said? Get your hot fresh Samus' right here

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210493
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210588
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210589

This will likely be the last of our crazy winter break updates, enjoy them and for your new years resolution promise us not to spam this thread or the Smash 3 thread.

were you drunk when typing that? if it was just sleepiness, i hope you get a nice rest.
if you were just joking then nvm

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210493
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210588
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210589

This will likely be the last of our crazy winter break updates, enjoy them and for your new years resolution promise us not to spam this thread or the Smash 3 thread.
As absolutely beautiful as those are... I feel like they need a bit more detail. Samus, in Smash 4, is super realistic compared to everyone else. Light Suit Samus just looks blank. In Smash 4, Samus' slits are super thick and detailed, she even has more slits than ordinarily, actually. Those don't look very metallic.

Fusion suit's extremely awesome though.
Gamecuhe adapter no work on pc, harder to put project m on dolphin.
http://www.mayflash.com/support/download/

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
You're supposed to say thank you, lord Layell.
I'm not saying they're not good, converting from one visual style to another is a very difficult job, and Layell did wonderfully! The colours fit, and he definitely did a good job of that. But the idea of Smash 3C is to accommodate custom content in a visual style alongside Smash 3.

While Smash 3 (and, to an extent, Smash 4) have a lot of bright colours, that doesn't necessarily mean it has no detail. You can see, by the first image of Samus, that alongside her bright colours, her smooth model, she also has small scratches, thick dark slights, and just enough contrast in the dark bits. While Layell's version has the most important element, the colour palette, it fits Smash 3, but it doesn't fit Samus as a character.

Something very important in terms of Brawl, is considering detail. The view of the camera typically is viewed from afair, so all detail usually has to be huge in the texture so as to be seen from the distance. Layell's version shushes the detail, rather than enforcing it, making it look a bit plastic, rather than gritty metal. I hope I don't sound too mean, it's very well done, probably better than I could ever texture it.

You could also compare it to the Smash 3 Armoured Mewtwo: It's got the detail, AND the visual syle.

Nanobuds Nanobuds , am I off with my over-analysis machine this time? I know you specialize most in Brawl's visual style, and less than Smash 4's, but I have to know if I'm just completely off. I was the guy who got in an argument with StarWaffle about the community favourite, Mr. L...

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
I'm not saying they're not good, converting from one visual style to another is a very difficult job, and Layell did wonderfully! The colours fit, and he definitely did a good job of that. But the idea of Smash 3C is to accommodate custom content in a visual style alongside Smash 3.

While Smash 3 (and, to an extent, Smash 4) have a lot of bright colours, that doesn't necessarily mean it has no detail. You can see, by the first image of Samus, that alongside her bright colours, her smooth model, she also has small scratches, thick dark slights, and just enough contrast in the dark bits. While Layell's version has the most important element, the colour palette, it fits Smash 3, but it doesn't fit Samus as a character.

Something very important in terms of Brawl, is considering detail. The view of the camera typically is viewed from afair, so all detail usually has to be huge in the texture so as to be seen from the distance. Layell's version shushes the detail, rather than enforcing it, making it look a bit plastic, rather than gritty metal. I hope I don't sound too mean, it's very well done, probably better than I could ever texture it.

You could also compare it to the Smash 3 Armoured Mewtwo: It's got the detail, AND the visual syle.

Nanobuds Nanobuds , am I off with my over-analysis machine this time? I know you specialize most in Brawl's visual style, and less than Smash 4's, but I have to know if I'm just completely off. I was the guy who got in an argument with StarWaffle about the community favourite, Mr. L...
I agree. The white areas are just... white. Lacks texture. Looks more ceramic than metal. Needs more shine to it, as well as some texture. Even the Project M model (RIP re-texture plans) lacked detail that it probably needed.

The non-white areas don't look bad at all.

Look at the White Samus from Sm4sh:
http://i.imgur.com/n8gq4su.png

Try to add some texture to the armor.

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman

I agree. The white areas are just... white. Lacks texture. Looks more ceramic than metal. Needs more shine to it, as well as some texture. Even the Project M model (RIP re-texture plans) lacked detail that it probably needed.

Please don't make an analysis based on my crappy render. I blurred the hell out of that thing because of reasons. I won't get into it but I had a lot of trouble with the lighting on this one. I was also really unhappy with the Fusion Suit render but that's another story. The actual texture that Layell did doesn't look like plain white.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsn3rl4h9ttq19t/LightSuitMain.png

Cahalan

Smash Ace

Please don't make an analysis based on my crappy render. I blurred the hell out of that thing because of reasons. I won't get into it but I had a lot of trouble with the lighting on this one. I was also really unhappy with the Fusion Suit render but that's another story. The actual texture that Layell did doesn't look like plain white.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsn3rl4h9ttq19t/LightSuitMain.png
Well if it's not the textures and more-or-less the render itself... is it a bad idea to suggest adding a Spec map of sorts to bring back that lost detail in the render (same can probably go for the fusion/dark suits as those may have suffered from the same "blurring of detail in the render)? From what you three have said, it seems that the current renders don't do the in game models justice. The other renders had that "pop" of both color and detail in the renders and while the latest suits got the color bit down to a tea, the detail department was somewhat left behind. If spec maps can help in this situation, then go for it.

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Well if it's not the textures and more-or-less the render itself... is it a bad idea to suggest adding a Spec map of sorts to bring back that lost detail in the render (same can probably go for the fusion/dark suits as those may have suffered from the same "blurring of detail in the render)? From what you three have said, it seems that the current renders don't do the in game models justice. The other renders had that "pop" of both color and detail in the renders and while the latest suits got the color bit down to a tea, the detail department was somewhat left behind. If spec maps can help in this situation, then go for it.
No, the same can't be said for the others, and they do all have spec maps on them - why wouldn't they, when all of the in-game models have spec maps? I don't poop these out in a few minutes - the Light Suit was difficult because I had problems with lighting, and I have trouble with getting Samus to look right in general. I'm not entirely happy with the results, but I still spent several days on them, and when they're going to be compressed to 128x160cmpr, I don't think it matters that I blurred parts that weren't being hit with light the way I wanted them to.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I think it should be said that, despite the critiques going around (which I sympathize with), there's a lot to love in your work for these Samus models and we respect you for it. It seems to me that they're just trying to be helpful.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
Hard values tend to look gross regardless of design and style except for when it's intentional. Id say it looks good considering the limitations of the design itself, as good as you can reasonably expect given the limitations.

A broader critique and a little insight into general design: character design is usually designed around the gameplay. For example, Smash characters are viewed from the side essentially always, and so their overall hue and value combinations matter a lot in order to identify not only the character, but the different parts of said character. Light Suit Samus is essentially a giant white blob in PM because despite the adequate value blocking (hue blocking is irrelevant as you could probably guess), the Light Suit, as it existed in whichever MP game it came from, was not designed to be viewed from a Smash game's perspective. It still works well enough that you can identify different parts, but it can be difficult at times.

For contrast, Smash 4 white recolour. Clearly based on the Light Suit, but the values were modified in such a way that made the model easy to read during gameplay. I can't be arsed to make a diagram on my phone, but if you look at any generic screenshot of the recolour, you can see that her inner thigh is a much lower value than her shin, making a clear enough separation for your brain to say "thigh, leg" when you ftilt (again, for example). Admittedly this is present in the PM model too, but to a much smaller degree. The Sm4sh recolour also has a small splash and hue variation in the visor and other lights all over the suit, further deepening the blocking out of the model and making it even easier on our brains to read.

Just some food for thought.

So, to bring my critique into this, Id say the design just doesn't fit Brawl, Smash 3, and Smash in general from a fundamental standpoint. There needs to be variation in either hue or value, preferably both. That's just my two sheckles, though. Take it with a bowl of salt.

Edit: eh, now that I analyze the design, it still passes the blocking. I can't help but feel like something is off with the general design, though. Personal taste I guess.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
is it me or are the new Smash 3C Samus alts lacking the glowing spots? (visors, chest lights, red spots on Dark Suit)
edit: Smash*, not Smas

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
is it me or are the new Smash 3C Samus alts lacking the glowing spots? (visors, chest lights, red spots on Dark Suit)
edit: Smash*, not Smas
We can look at making them glow more, thanks.

I think it should be said that, despite the critiques going around (which I sympathize with), there's a lot to love in your work for these Samus models and we respect you for it. It seems to me that they're just trying to be helpful.
Criticism is helpful, and I don't mind it. If I seemed defensive, it wasn't about that.

Anyway, since my renders were a huge success, here are some matching CSPs for PM's Retro Suit Samus, and a costume I've been using in my build for several versions, Nano's PED Suit Samus.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I really love that retro suit design. I assume you're waiting for Smash 3 to release to work on it, but I can't wait (and I'm not even the Samus main in my group)

Top Bottom