• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taiko

Smash Ace
Take a look guys~
I'm both happy that this is a thing, and sad that they used the old bobblehead render...

Also his hair...how does he do that? That might be the most amazing thing here.

JB_G.O.A.T.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-6358-2520
Also his hair...how does he do that? That might be the most amazing thing here.
Black People's hair can be pretty gravity defying. if you cut it into a shape it'll stay that way for a few days til it starts growing and naturally loses shape
Source: I'm Black and have been known to wear hi tops and mohawks.

Taiko

Smash Ace

Day 5. I wasn't making much progress...I had only collected 2/30 ship parts.
When I had almost given up hope, a strange Fox appeared before me! He offered me a ride on his spaceship, so I took up his offer and left the planet with him.

I'll miss those little Pikmin...

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
Whistle hype!

Edit: I also have a question and I'm sorry if it has already been answered, but do any of the characters work with 3.5 or are they all needing to be updated?

Thanks a lot for this amazing project!

Last edited:

JB_G.O.A.T.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-6358-2520

Day 5. ...I had only collected 2/30 ship parts.
I saw 2/30 in bold and thought that maybe you were sneaking a release date into this update but then i realized that i'm dumb and there's only 28 days in February =(

Edit: I saw you mention in a post that you learn things when most of your team is retired. how many of you are left working on this project? how many were there in the beginning?

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I saw 2/30 in bold and thought that maybe you were sneaking a release date into this update but then i realized that i'm dumb and there's only 28 days in February =(

Edit: I saw you mention in a post that you learn things when most of your team is retired. how many of you are left working on this project? how many were there in the beginning?
Maybe if that were the case, he meant March 2nd instead...

Taiko

Smash Ace
Whistle hype!

Edit: I also have a question and I'm sorry if it has already been answered, but do any of the characters work with 3.5 or are they all needing to be updated?

Thanks a lot for this amazing project!
Pretty much all characters except Mario, Link, and Yoshi I think.

I swear the text was bolded in Pikmin, wasn't it? It's been a while since I've played!

And hmm, I think we have about 4-5 active members including me. Two are renderers, two are model people, and one does all of the above + textures. And none of us have time...

Last edited:

tadget

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Does anyone happen to have a copy of the older version of Smash 3 Team Rocket Mewtwo? Not to discredit the Smash 3 Team (you guys are doing mad work) I just prefer the older model.
Thanks!

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Hey there! Does anyone happen to have a copy of the older version of Smash 3 Team Rocket Mewtwo? Not to discredit the Smash 3 Team (you guys are doing mad work) I just prefer the older model.
Thanks!
The Project M model is still on the Brawl Vault: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=205564

And hmm, I think we have about 4-5 active members including me. Two are renderers, two are model people, and one does all of the above + textures. And none of us have time...
That sounds rough for getting through the entire roster. Are you guys planning to release the rest all at once, so that you can finally be done with this (very long and time-consuming) project?

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
That sounds rough for getting through the entire roster. Are you guys planning to release the rest all at once, so that you can finally be done with this (very long and time-consuming) project?
That's the plan. We'll stick around for bug fixes, but hopefully we should be good there.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Aw, Im too late to make a Sheik joke...
I was too busy to make a Birdo joke...

EDIT:
Hey, guys! Look who's render makes a cameo (skip to 3:31):

Last edited:

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
I'm just about finished updating my save file with all of the smash 3 and smash 3 c costumes that are compatable with 3.5 if anyone is interested in a download so you don't have to do it all yourself.

Also, I also think Ganon does not work, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Middleman97

Smash Apprentice
Did you fix Mario:4mario:, Link:4link:, and Yoshi:4yoshi:?
No, I didn't mess with any of the textures, I just compiled all of the others into a 3.5 build so anybody who wants the textures doesn't have to go in and change it all themselves

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
No, I didn't mess with any of the textures, I just compiled all of the others into a 3.5 build so anybody who wants the textures doesn't have to go in and change it all themselves
Oh well. :urg: Can't blame someone for asking. Regardless, your offer was very kind. If I hadn't already assembled my own build from scratch I'd probably take your offer.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Random screen time. Doc isn't ready to show yet (his model hasn't even been imported...) but we do have something related to show!

We've modified his pill models and textures to look cleaner and have a bit more dimension. For reference, here's the P:M one:

The pills are also set up in a way that could *theoretically* allow for 9 random pill combinations using one model (rather than 3-4 as it is now), but the PMBR will have to be the ones to incorporate that.

I was too busy to make a Birdo joke...

EDIT:
Hey, guys! Look who's render makes a cameo (skip to 3:31):
I'm pretty sure this is the most famous Smash 3 render by now haha

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Nice stuff I always like some variety with my pills...

(that came out wrong)

You all might have heard about this but Smash 4 models are getting out now: http://www.models-resource.com/other_systems/supersmashbrosfornintendowiiu/

Right now it's just Kirby and Yoshi but I'd expect more soon, Kirby model looks exactly the same, Yoshi not so much... If it helps get more Smash 3 stuff out then that would be just super.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Last edited:

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
I don't think there's much reason to, specially at this point, I mean look at the new Smash 3 Mario and compare with the Wii U one, they look very alike (Scarily alike I might add! And in a good way of course!), that and you realize how difficult it would be to do something like that? I don't want to sound rude but the models in the Wii U version were specifically made for the Wii U version, I don't think they'd come out well if you were to try and bring them into Brawl, not to mention optimizing and so forth. (Specs, UV-Mapping, textures, rigging, optimizing, I can think of more and so forth of issues with doing that)

Also a quote from the front page:

"Smash 3 is a visual overhaul of Brawl, with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl. Though we'll be bringing the visual style, we don't plan on replicating Smash 4 1:1, as there are some things that just can't be brought over. "

Some people don't understand that from a modding perspective it's just too much work and don't realize how much strain this put on us, that and another reason I can think of is that 100% of the work we had done up to this point would be rendered useless and from the stuff I've seen and being worked on, I can promise people that it's going to be worth looking forward to.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Given the fact that you have had a lot of the team leave, I am thankful that you guys still plan on finishing! Plus it's kinda cooler too. These specific textures and models and renders can't be found anywhere else but here!

Taiko

Smash Ace
To add, if we just took Smash 4 stuff we'd be getting no EXP at all. Where's the fun in that?!

Not to mention Smash 4 models are much higher poly, a ton of optimizing would need to be done to ensure that they don't lag, and you'd need to make sure they actually fit the Brawl animations since their proportions are different as well. That, and all the texture work would be rendered useless with the Smash 4 textures being completely different, plus they just would not look the same in Brawl since Brawl can't render normal maps. For those that have checked, Smash 4 textures for the most part are completely flat, with detailing being added ingame by the normals.

If that was the goal from the start we would have just waited and used the Smash 4 renders, but again, you learn nothing that way.

I've gained a ton of knowledge on this stuff that I never dreamed I'd learn, all because of Smash 3. It would be the opposite if I just straight up imported everything!

Honestly, it really makes me appreciate the decisions and everything that goes into making a Smash game, even though I've only really gone through a portion of it...

That's all for the technical rundown!

Last edited:

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
To add, if we just took Smash 4 stuff we'd be getting no EXP at all. Where's the fun in that?!

Not to mention Smash 4 models are much higher poly, a ton of optimizing would need to be done to ensure that they don't lag, and you'd need to make sure they actually fit the Brawl animations since their proportions are different as well. That, and all the texture work would be rendered useless with the Smash 4 textures being completely different, plus they just would not look the same in Brawl since Brawl can't render normal maps. For those that have checked, Smash 4 textures for the most part are completely flat, with detailing being added ingame by the normals.

If that was the goal from the start we would have just waited and used the Smash 4 renders, but again, you learn nothing that way.

I've gained a ton of knowledge on this stuff that I never dreamed I'd learn, all because of Smash 3. It would be the opposite if I just straight up imported everything!

Honestly, it really makes me appreciate the decisions and everything that goes into making a Smash game, even though I've only really gone through a portion of it...

That's all for the technical rundown!
Your right and I can understand what your team does and how it would make it look better to not rip the smash 4 models, Do you think you can compare smash 3 mario and smash 4 mario by using pics, so you can prove this even more

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
Your right and I can understand what your team does and how it would make it look better to not rip the smash 4 models, Do you think you can compare smash 3 mario and smash 4 mario by using pics, so you can prove this even more
1) go back a couple pages, find the mario images.
2) open new tab
3) search smash wii u mario.
4) done.

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
1) go back a couple pages, find the mario images.
2) open new tab
3) search smash wii u mario.
4) done.
These look actually the same! I'm shocked, The smash 3 team came a long way, The only difference is the the smash 3 mario is a little bit more brighter than smash 4 mario

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Actually even I'm a bit shocked, I thought Smash 3 Mario looked worse than that...

I figure this may be a good time to post this, here's the Smash 3 Mario texture vs the Smash 4 Luigi texture (I haven't checked Mario's yet)

Take a guess which is which?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
"Dr. Mario's model isn't complete yet" Oh you TEASE you!

Blueballing me so bad.... :(

Also I bet Smash 4's is the bottom one, and Smash 3's is the higher quality render. WATCH ME BE RIGHT

Juken

Smash Ace
Someone who has Smash Wii U should get a picture of Mario doing a pose on a level that exists in PM like Delfino Plaza.

Then perfect comparisons could be made to the mod.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight's gauntlets! I figured you'd be doing those, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
OMG IT'S KIRBY SMASH 3 FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYY

BUT HE HAS A GODDAMN MASK ON

NOW I CAN'T SEE HIS ADORABLE FACCEEE

I'm crying, Taiko. Why did you do this to me?! Actually, request-sorta-thing time. Could you guys possibly render Kirby's Splat Screen KO model from Smash 4 with your beautiful render powers?

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
OMG IT'S KIRBY SMASH 3 FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYY

BUT HE HAS A GODDAMN MASK ON

NOW I CAN'T SEE HIS ADORABLE FACCEEE

I'm crying, Taiko. Why did you do this to me?! Actually, request-sorta-thing time. Could you guys possibly render Kirby's Splat Screen KO model from Smash 4 with your beautiful render powers?
The full album has moar kirby. http://imgur.com/a/e55Q3

Top Bottom