• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taiko

Smash Ace
All right, let's not turn this into a random image spam thread.
Oh...guess I won't spam my images then. Or...maybe I will.

I realized I never followed up with my hint that two cBliss colours would be returning for Mario. Pink is inspired by SMW, and Orange is inspired by Fire Mario from SMB3 NES. We were going for diversity with all of our slots, and we realized we didn't actually have pink or orange Marios, so!

Aside from this, Doc will be getting a pretty extensive model change, but it's not ready to show yet. Soon, folks!

btw, i asked this before and didn't get a response:
are you going to release the PSD files for the new update?
That is the goal, not sure how long it'd take after release since some of them are in a sorta...sloppy state, but we'll see.

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
is it just me, or have mario's textures have been updated even further than the last preview?
it seems as if he has more details/ wrinkles on his pants and i must say, it looks as if he's been pulled straight out of a wii u! ^__^
keep up the good work guys! (:

Taiko

Smash Ace
is it just me, or have mario's textures have been updated even further than the last preview?
it seems as if he has more details/ wrinkles on his pants and i must say, it looks as if he's been pulled straight out of a wii u! ^__^
keep up the good work guys! (:
I was honestly not expecting anyone to notice that...we were able to get the exact overalls texture from Smash U, so we went ahead and used that.

Is that actually what the last preview looked like?! Then yeah, we changed a lot more things since then. That's part of the reason I don't really want to post previews, we do stuff, then the next day we just make things look better. Like, I can't tell you guys how different Doc looks compared to the P:M model.

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
I was honestly not expecting anyone to notice that...we were able to get the exact overalls texture from Smash U, so we went ahead and used that.

Is that actually what the last preview looked like?! Then yeah, we changed a lot more things since then...
lol it looks so amazing ^__^
im a mario main, so i got really excited when i saw that! I actually decided recolor your fire mario preview to see how his default color would look
heheh dont mind my poor photoshopping skills, but he looks exactly like how he does on wii u~
im so hyped ;u;

Taiko

Smash Ace
lol it looks so amazing ^__^
im a mario main, so i got really excited when i saw that! I actually decided recolor your fire mario preview to see how his default color would look
heheh dont mind my poor photoshopping skills, but he looks exactly like how he does on wii u~
im so hyped ;u;
Could have asked! I don't think we changed the overalls colour since the last time though...I don't even know anymore.

Oh, is he actually going to be chubbier than Mario like he is in Sm4sh? That'd be pretty cooooool (I'm the only one who would care about this haha)
Sadly no, we don't want to do too much to the P:M model, but we've fixed all the things I pointed out in the P:M fixing thread.

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
Could have asked! I don't think we changed the overalls colour since the last time though...I don't even know anymore.

Sadly no, we don't want to do too much to the P:M model, but we've fixed all the things I pointed out in the P:M fixing thread.
im in love <33

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Along with some other improvements that I can't wait to see, for sure! My only request is that when you upload the pictures you include that lovely Smash 4 purple color! (A shame you can't make him fatter but I guess that would affect hitboxes. You actually can see he's a bit chubbier in Sm4sh, rounder face and neck area compared to Mario)

Taiko

Smash Ace
Along with some other improvements that I can't wait to see, for sure! My only request is that when you upload the pictures you include that lovely Smash 4 purple color! (A shame you can't make him fatter but I guess that would affect hitboxes. You actually can see he's a bit chubbier in Sm4sh, rounder face and neck area compared to Mario)

And yeah, that's exactly why we didn't want to change his shape too much. Then again, Doc himself was bigger so I'm not sure if hitboxes are even that big of an issue for costumes?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
It's...so pretty. You guys thought of changing the default character trophies to match the Smash 4 ones, so Alt Mario would be like, the Purple One with the cape pose, and such? Either way, 2016 is gonna be dope! Can't wait for you to show off the improved Dr. Mario model, that should be gorgeous!

(Although you would hear NO complaints if you guys dropped Dr. Mario and Mario before then, no sir! =P)

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Oh...guess I won't spam my images then. Or...maybe I will.

I realized I never followed up with my hint that two cBliss colours would be returning for Mario. Pink is inspired by SMW, and Orange is inspired by Fire Mario from SMB3 NES. We were going for diversity with all of our slots, and we realized we didn't actually have pink or orange Marios, so!

Aside from this, Doc will be getting a pretty extensive model change, but it's not ready to show yet. Soon, folks!

That is the goal, not sure how long it'd take after release since some of them are in a sorta...sloppy state, but we'll see.
Can you spam images of the updated Captain Falcon? I'd love to see what touch ups you guys have done. Anyways (that's apparently my new catch phrase), the updated Mario looks amazing, I'd love to see the updated Doc, but you already said you weren't going to show him yet. Keep up the good work, and use your wizardry for good.

Taiko

Smash Ace
It's...so pretty. You guys thought of changing the default character trophies to match the Smash 4 ones, so Alt Mario would be like, the Purple One with the cape pose, and such? Either way, 2016 is gonna be dope! Can't wait for you to show off the improved Dr. Mario model, that should be gorgeous!

(Although you would hear NO complaints if you guys dropped Dr. Mario and Mario before then, no sir! =P)
The alt costume trophy is reserved for USA Mario, because he took so long to get right!

Can you spam images of the updated Captain Falcon? I'd love to see what touch ups you guys have done. Anyways (that's apparently my new catch phrase), the updated Mario looks amazing, I'd love to see the updated Doc, but you already said you weren't going to show him yet. Keep up the good work, and use your wizardry for good.
But...we've already shown something for today...

But! You've been with us for a while, so here's a present. No fancy poses though...

That SMW costume looks awesome. Does this mean that SMW Luigi is coming too?
Good question, not sure it'd work as well since the only real difference is his overalls being purple, so I'd say probably not. It could happen though, we'll see if we can't come up with something.

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
I'm fine with no fancy poses, because that Falcon looks ridiculously good. I give a HYEZZ/10. Anyways, thanks for humoring my request, I appreciate it. (I actually made an account here originaly to comment on this thread, about the time you guys first showed Falcon. Funny how that works out.)

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Previews, previews, and more previews! Sure hope cBliss becomes compatible with 3.5, I don't want to have to choose between all of these Mario recolors, they're amazing (same goes for Falcon as well)!

Last edited:

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Hooooly smokes he looks stunning. Fantastic work.

Edit: To add a bit more substance to my post(and avoid double posting) I wanted to comment about something for Ness.
I'm not sure if you're touching up more or not to fit in-line with Smash4 but I personally think your current iteration of Ness is the perfect Ness and wouldn't need the changes Smash4 brought.
Better than Melee, Brawl and Smash4 imo.

Smash4 does looks good but he has these details that I don't like

That red mouth. I can't find any official art that references that, only figures seem to have that detail so it bugs me a bit. That and the symmetrical shirt.

Last edited:

AnimeRyoth

Smash Rookie

Edit: To add a bit more substance to my post(and avoid double posting) I wanted to comment about something for Ness.
I'm not sure if you're touching up more or not to fit in-line with Smash4 but I personally think your current iteration of Ness is the perfect Ness and wouldn't need the changes Smash4 brought.

That red mouth. I can't find any official art that references that, only figures seem to have that detail so it bugs me a bit. That and the symmetrical shirt.

Oh my god! Ness looks soooo stunning!! I have to agree,he has some details I didn't like,like the mouth,but damn!You just beat Sakurai on designing Ness on Smash 4!And That's great for an Earthbounder like me! >ω< Waiting for the update is a pain,but It is so worth it! Could you just tell me this? : Will it have a lot of stuff or Will it be a short one? Please,Don't take it the wrong way.I'm just asking,If it is information you can not give,I'll accept and wait like I did! T-T

Last edited:

AnimeRyoth

Smash Rookie
Oh my god! Ness looks soooo stunning!! I have to agree,he has some details I didn't like,like the mouth,but damn!You just beat Sakurai on designing Ness on Smash 4!And That's great for an Earthbounder like me! >ω< Waiting for the update is a pain,but It is so worth it! Could you just tell me this? : Will it have a lot of stuff or Will it be a short one? Please,Don't take it the wrong way.I'm just asking,If it is information you can not give,Just don't answer and I'll accept and wait like I did! T-T

Juken

Smash Ace
I know you guys probably won't show Snake, but can any of you say if you've begun working on or finished him? He seems to me like he'd be the hardest to bring into Smash 4's art-style, especially when it's all childish and cartoony and then he smokes a cigar, has realistic proportions, and uses real weapons.

Also, I agree with the Ness bit, and I remember seeing a lot of people upset with how Smash 4's Ness isn't very accurate to his games like how it was in 64 through Brawl. I believe it was something about the bottom of his shirt not hanging a bit and no rosey cheeks, and his eyes being less round? I'd suggest just doing an alternate "accurate" version like how you guys did a Sonic Boom alt for Smash 3 Sonic. If you don't, someone will probably do it eventually anyway though.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Actually @ Taiko Taiko I think even with Dr. Mario's model being bigger he still had the same hitboxes because he was displaced (as you noted his shoes were going through the floor) likely a side effect of being larger but sharing the same alignment and axis as Mario. This probably kept his hitboxes the same but changed his actual body size. So in theory they were likely the same (although they should REALLY just use the fixes you and @ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 did for the model although I wish they'd make his glove colors proper, they look so ewww I hate realistic surgeon's gloves on him!)

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace

Day 1. I've landed on a mysterious planet inhabited by strange creatures...they resemble the Pikpik brand carrots I love so much, so I have decided to call them Pikmin.

Also they are extremely low poly. It makes me feel sorry for them. I shall continue to write in my journal for another day or two...

Also I have a feeling this could be read the wrong way, so to clarify, we got the overalls pattern from Smash U and added it onto the Smash 3 texture. The other detailing (folds, etc.) was all stuff that happened during one of those times when things happened.

I'm fine with no fancy poses, because that Falcon looks ridiculously good. I give a HYEZZ/10. Anyways, thanks for humoring my request, I appreciate it. (I actually made an account here originaly to comment on this thread, about the time you guys first showed Falcon. Funny how that works out.)
It comes full circle!

Previews, previews, and more previews! Sure hope cBliss becomes compatible with 3.5, I don't want to have to choose between all of these Mario recolors, they're amazing (same goes for Falcon as well)!
Well...we're gonna have 10 Mario costumes and 8 (maybe more?) Doc costumes so...unless cBliss updates to allow 18 costumes, that's gonna be difficult.

I think Smash 4 Ness is just more modern. We don't plan on updating Ness any more though, so you don't need to worry about losing the "perfect" Ness.

Will it have a lot of stuff or Will it be a short one? Please,Don't take it the wrong way.I'm just asking,If it is information you can not give,I'll accept and wait like I did! T-T
It's gonna be 1.0.

I know you guys probably won't show Snake, but can any of you say if you've begun working on or finished him? He seems to me like he'd be the hardest to bring into Smash 4's art-style, especially when it's all childish and cartoony and then he smokes a cigar, has realistic proportions, and uses real weapons.

Also, I agree with the Ness bit, and I remember seeing a lot of people upset with how Smash 4's Ness isn't very accurate to his games like how it was in 64 through Brawl. I believe it was something about the bottom of his shirt not hanging a bit and no rosey cheeks, and his eyes being less round? I'd suggest just doing an alternate "accurate" version like how you guys did a Sonic Boom alt for Smash 3 Sonic. If you don't, someone will probably do it eventually anyway though.
Snake...we've started him, done a lot of model fixing, and a ton of other work. Textures still aren't 100% complete yet though, so we can't really show him yet. We do have an idea of how to do things though, Smash 4 isn't as "cartoony" as people might think.

I like that Captain Falcon. That helmet is so nice and clean!
The helmet took so long to get right, you guys have no idea!

Actually @ Taiko Taiko I think even with Dr. Mario's model being bigger he still had the same hitboxes because he was displaced (as you noted his shoes were going through the floor) likely a side effect of being larger but sharing the same alignment and axis as Mario. This probably kept his hitboxes the same but changed his actual body size. So in theory they were likely the same (although they should REALLY just use the fixes you and @ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 did for the model although I wish they'd make his glove colors proper, they look so ewww I hate realistic surgeon's gloves on him!)
Well it seems it really was just a bug, the fix is being adopted for the next P:M update.

Also I've never said this before, but I really like your avatar. I've thought it too many times but never pointed it out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom