• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Huh, they look striking similar. Nevermind, the Smash 3 model looks perfect!

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
After seeing the new screens... Yeah Falcon looks pretty good. I still think his face could be bigger, or fitted to his helmet a bit better, but that's just my nitpick.

lowbro

Smash Cadet
are there any plans to update ness to look more like he does in smash 4?

Taiko

Smash Ace
I guess it's just a matter of preference, but I prefer how ness looks on the wii u ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Agreed, but I honestly don't want to do this too much longer. Ness just has too much work in him as well...

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
are there any plans to update ness to look more like he does in smash 4?
While I prefer Ness' model and design in Smash for Wii U, I don't think you would be able to translate it into Smash 3 so well. For example, A lot of the additional detailing in Smash Wii U comes from additional textures that react with light. That's why Ness' bat in the Wii U model has no wooden qualities in it while the Smash 3 model does. And just look at Ness' skin! The Wii U model looks sickly and obviously in need of some LifeUp PSI (...Anyone?) while the Smash 3 model looks fleshy and healthy.
But while we're on the subject, where'd you get that model, exactly? And how'd you get it to work with BrawlBox?

Last edited:

lowbro

Smash Cadet
But while we're on the subject, where'd you get that model, exactly? And how'd you get it to work with BrawlBox?
The unconverted wii u models are here: mediafire .com /?e7tacds6nrot6

I converted ness with randomthebush's converter and stuck it on a ness skeleton. Haven't rigged it yet

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace

Doesn't look that much older to me, he looks younger than Brawl...
Speaking of Falcon, someone uploaded a port of his Smash Wii U model to Brawl Vault and I tried it out ingame:

I think it looks really great, but could use better lighting and a less pale texture. I'll probably just use this one until you guys do the Smash 3 version though. Hopefully it's got them toned abs. Also after looking at the model more, I noticed the abs are actually modelled on as ridges instead of textured on like with Brawl Falcon. Actually does a lot for the model..

Last edited:

Rᴏb

The only problem with that model is his face seems to clip through his scarf during his idle animation due to his scarf being slightly larger... Other than that, I love it.

Juken

Smash Ace
The only problem with that model is his face seems to clip through his scarf during his idle animation due to his scarf being slightly larger... Other than that, I love it.
Yeah, noticed it too, but it's hardly an issue when his original model even clips often with the poses he does.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Speaking of Falcon, someone uploaded a port of his Smash Wii U model to Brawl Vault and I tried it out ingame:

I think it looks really great, but could use better lighting and a less pale texture. I'll probably just use this one until you guys do the Smash 3 version though. Hopefully it's got them toned abs. Also after looking at the model more, I noticed the abs are actually modelled on as ridges instead of textured on like with Brawl Falcon. Actually does a lot for the model..
I honestly feel like his abs look fake, like they're just creases on his shirt and not actually the muscles bulging out.
Take off the fake muscle shirt Falcon.:troll:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
The lighting looks weird probably because the model is made for Wii U, while the Wii is more simple and can't handle that much complexity. But there should be a way to tone it down.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538

I love the green falcon.
His face.."is that what I look like in Smash 4?"

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Nevermind, theres a ninten smash 3c on the vault. Now, i already finished the semi sonic alts, which should be rimlight by some of you people.

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
People, we're not going to be using the Wii U models, we already explained why and it's kind of disheartening that people keep asking about using the Wii U assets, I personally feel this just takes away at what this project is about and it's even beginning to make us question the thing as a whole at this point.

There are too many issues with using the Wii U models (nodes, specs, texturing, clipping etc, I can go on but it's basically everything re-done if that was the case, too much of a mess to work with) and it would take too much out of us at this stage, some of us are planning to retire as soon as the project is done, again I know people here that understand very well and I know a lot of people mean well, and I apologize if sound negative haha but I tried to make this exact point in my previous post before.

I know people who probably don't want to hear that but if we use the Wii U models that would be a whole project in itself! And we have no intention of doing that!

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
People, we're not going to be using the Wii U models, we already explained why and it's kind of disheartening that people keep asking about using the Wii U assets, I personally feel this just takes away at what this project is about and it's even beginning to make us question the thing as a whole at this point.

There are too many issues with using the Wii U models (nodes, specs, texturing, clipping etc, I can go on but it's basically everything re-done if that was the case, too much of a mess to work with) and it would take too much out of us at this stage, some of us are planning to retire as soon as the project is done, again I know people here that understand very well and I know a lot of people mean well, and I apologize if sound negative haha but I tried to make this exact point in my previous post before.

I know people who probably don't want to hear that but if we use the Wii U models that would be a whole project in itself! And we have no intention of doing that!
Very true.

Taiko

Smash Ace

Load 4 of these and that'll answer the question of why we're not using that model.
Those modelled on abs? Come with a performance hit. There's a reason why Brawl models aren't as complex as Smash U models. The Wii isn't particularly powerful.

Also yeah like Codex said, we're not going to throw away nearly two years of work just to switch to models that'll take a ton of optimizing to get lagless ingame. If you want to use the WiiU models, cool, but we're not going to for this project.

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
Guys, you should stop suggesting to use Smash Wii U models for Smash3. It's kinda annoying now, and this project is NOT
Project Smash 4, it's Smash 3... I know that you guys enjoy Smash Wii U models, so do I, but don't bring it up in this thread.
Taiko, Edel, and the rest of the S3 crew are working very hard, so that you guys can enjoy Wii compatible models that look very nice. And it makes me feel bad for the S3 team everytime you guys post images of a Wii U import, it's as if you don't want this project to go on.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Yea, there is really no point in importing the models in the first place unless you are using dolphin. I mean, If I wanted the Wii U models, I would play smash Wii U.

Last edited:

Kes

Smash Cadet
I don't care about Wii U models. I have the Wii U game for that, and I wouldn't expect to see Wii U models back ported to Brawl. That just sounds terrible. I really like the Smash 3 project and would like to see it completed, or have Smash 3 for every playable character for consistency across the roster (its kind of annoying as is to have only part of the roster look Smash 3 sexy and the rest don't). I appreciate the work you guys are doing, thank you all.

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
I don't really post that much in this thread but I've been following for a while and I can get why people like the smash 4 models but in my opinion if the team was to just optimize those models, smash 3 would lose a lot of what I believe makes it so unique and so astounding when all put together, as shown in previous screenshots. One of the main reasons I don't post here that often is because I usually comment in order give opinions or what is intended as constructive criticism, two things I feel unable to give to such a great team who keeps creating skins that surpass anything I could have suggested improvements on. I'm sure the smash 3 team knows of these smash 4 models and they have made it obvious in the past that smash 4 is an influence, so let's not make this a smash 4 thread but instead focus on what makes these models unique and give opinions on these models by viewing them as something new and not just a smash 4 tribute. I just want you to know smash 3 team that you all do amazing work and although I don't post often I will always follow this thread as a silent fan!

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
The Smash 3 Project does not need the Wii U models and people asking for them annoys me as well; however, I don't think Juken posted those screenshots to say "Hey you guys should use these models" (mostly because he never said that the Smash 3 team should use them), I think he mostly posted them to have a comparison between the Smash 4 Falcon, old Smash 3 Falcon (as both of these were in the picture) and the new Smash 3 Falcon. Juken actually said that once the new Smash 3 Falcon came out, he was going to use that over the Smash 4 model. Hell, I almost feel responsible for all of this mini-drama, because I was the one to ask for screenshots of the new Captain Falcon.
EDIT: Also, guys this is not really the place to talk about the Samsh 4 model.

I completely understand being frustrated with people asking for the Smash 4 models to be used (I have gone through similar things of a different nature with my Debate class), but I don't think the reaction of the team was completely justified, key word: completely. Like I said many times: I understand; however, nobody in the comment chain after the screenshot said anything about using the Smash 4 models for this project. Even though some people don't seem to understand (or just don't know), most of us do. I think that, sadly, some of the most vocal commenters on this thread are some of the least observant. Don't take this personally, but I believe that the Team had a slight overreaction.

If you guys disagree (or agree) with anything I said here, then I would love to get a response. Even though this is a wall of text.

Like I said before, if anything, this is my fault and I take responsibility. I feel I have expressed my opinion on the matter, and I have one last thing to say. I will stand by the Team's decisions and will back them up. You guys have my full support and respect. Have a nice day/night, take care, and keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

Sorry if I came off as annoying, I just really like smUsh's aesthetic. To defend my initial post about using the new Falcon; when the opportunity to directly copy/paste its assets arises, I can't help but express how I believe that using said assets would be beneficial to a project "with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl". I did something similar when other Wii U styled models came out and literally everything I saw ended up getting included in the project. I get that you guys don't want this to be a 1:1 clone of SmUsh, but would using one model from the actual game really make it that? No, which is why I brought it up.

It was pretty apparent you guys didn't agree with that when you indirectly, then directly said so, then posted screenshots of continued work on your version of Falcon, which I think made your intentions pretty clear to everyone...

But, I get that seeing people talk about things that you are ultimately not going to work on can be frustrating. You guys are all doing this for free, we all know this, so please don't glean any sort of entitlement from our posts, because I'm sure no one feels that way and instead just wants this project to be the best it can be.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Oh darn, I admit I initially thought it was a "just use the models guys" post because of the last page and being comparison, I apologize for that @ Juken Juken !

Motivation has gone up a bit, thanks guys!

Sorry if I came off as annoying, I just really like smUsh's aesthetic. To defend my initial post about using the new Falcon; when the opportunity to directly copy/paste its assets arises, I can't help but express how I believe that using said assets would be beneficial to a project "with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl". I did something similar when other Wii U styled models came out and literally everything I saw ended up getting included in the project. I get that you guys don't want this to be a 1:1 clone of SmUsh, but would using one model from the actual game really make it that? No, which is why I brought it up.

It was pretty apparent you guys didn't agree with that when you indirectly, then directly said so, then posted screenshots of continued work on your version of Falcon, which I think made your intentions pretty clear to everyone...

But, I get that seeing people talk about things that you are ultimately not going to work on can be frustrating. You guys are all doing this for free, we all know this, so please don't glean any sort of entitlement from our posts, because I'm sure no one feels that way and instead just wants this project to be the best it can be.
And this is a bit hard to explain, but the Smash U models are so much higher quality that in most cases it would just be a lot harder to incorporate them into the Smash 3 stuff, on top of the fact that we'd need to redo the textures entirely because of the difference in how they're mapped. Sorry if I came off as not wanting to take your advice, but the Smash U models really are hard to get lagless as evident by that Smash U Falcon import. It's got about That's not to say we won't use them at all, as Falcon's shoulder pad is taken directly from the Smash U model since it's:
A) Really simple to rig (one bone)
B) Actually lower poly than the Brawl model

However this was a special case as I just noticed it looked a lot lower poly when I checked out the Smash U model for reference, so I can't say more things will be ported over for sure.

Also I should mention that though it does say "the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl," I never specified which version because I knew we'd end up grabbing elements from both versions. Think of it as somewhere inbetween, leaning more towards the 3DS version because that's just more possible on the Wii's hardware.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
If I may interject, even thinking about porting the models from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U to Brawl sounds like a ridiculous idea on many levels. I've been around long enough to know that they'll be people who will do this on their own, and of lesser quality than this team. I've already seen Little Mac's model over Captain Falcon, stages from the Wii U version, etc. However, none of this content actually looks good. It all looks dull and lifeless because the Wii was never intended to handle the Wii U's hardware. What the Smash 3 Team does, however, is impressive on many different levels. They're giving new life within Brawl's roster (plus Mewtwo:mewtwopm: and Roy:roypm:) "like" Smash Wii U, but not exactly. It all looks beautiful and perfessionally done. I've yet to see modding on par with the Smash 3 Project other than Project M itself, and sincerely hope that the team members do not get disheartened by Wii U importing requests. There's a reason why the Smash 3 Pack is still one of the highest downloads on BrawlVault.

Juken

Smash Ace
Hah, yeah... I wasn't trying to say that I wanted you guys to use that really, although I do realize that saying the model would look good if less pale kind of implied I did. I was just kind of showing it for the sake of relevance to the Falcon discussion and to give a good comparison to the original Smash 3 model (that's why I later replaced the screenshot that only had the sm4sh falcon model with one that had both of them in it; I was originally just going to post two pictures and give feedback, but realized it'd be dumb since it's clearly the outdated version).

So sorry for causing this mess.

Also I do kind of think that it's not a good idea to directly take content from the Wii U because I've got hopes deep down that PMDT will consider using these over the pale Brawl art-style when it's done (even if they don't I'll still personally use it though). Adding anything related to Smash 4 past things that are simply based off of its style would pretty much instantly guarantee a big fat NO, even if they were considering it before. So I hope you guys keep going strong about this and I'll try to not make any intrusive posts on the project. I just have a tendency to post things if it intrigues me enough to share it with others, and I forget to think about what kind of impact or backlash it may cause.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538

man, you guys are just skyrocketing. All these renders of your's....they are everywhere.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
For the record, you guys in the Smash 3 team seem to have Falcon's beautifully sculpted body from 3DS/WiiU, I imagine you went the more conservative route and textured them on as opposed to adding them to the model in the interest of performance? Just curious.

I always liked the idea of Smash 3 over just outright importing models from Smash 4. I think it's fascinating (and also damn good looking) to see what you guys can do with limited power, and you guys ALWAYS deliver! Look at Mario, he's almost an exact replica! It's more about matching the art style and adapting it down to Wii power levels, and I think that's what makes it work AND look really nice.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
For the record, you guys in the Smash 3 team seem to have Falcon's beautifully sculpted body from 3DS/WiiU, I imagine you went the more conservative route and textured them on as opposed to adding them to the model in the interest of performance? Just curious.
Just textured ;)

Top Bottom