• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Nothing major, but just thought I would give you a heads up, in your "info_training.pac", the music list is a little bit customized, as in it uses names for some tracks not in vanilla Project M or Brawl. I did double check this before posting. Just to clarify, I do mean in the HUD download. Just something I noticed while using training mode, as I have heavily customized some stages' music on my build. Keep up the good work, and can't wait for more.
Fixed. A few days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey do you guys have the PSD files of Ness, TL and Luigi? I'd like to use them to make some personal stuff.
Hopefully we'll have them up soon. Certain other things have kept us occupied.

patiently waiting for ice climbers

....just kidding, wolf please.

and zero suit. :4zss:
I am still waiting for everyone.

I can't wait to see Lucas, considering Brawl is his only (and possibly last) 3D representation.

Also, yesterday I moved the majority of Smash 3's texture files into my Hackless Project M launcher. My game froze shortly after launching. Is there a reason for this or did I just make a mistake.
That sounds unusual. It should've been a simple matter of just swapping files. Are you sure all of yours files are in the proper directory?

@K2LL - Sorry you're having some problems getting things up and running. I'll bring this up and see if we can figure something out for you and other mac users.

Excuse our general silence. We're still working, I promise.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Fixed. A few days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully we'll have them up soon. Certain other things have kept us occupied.

I am still waiting for everyone.

That sounds unusual. It should've been a simple matter of just swapping files. Are you sure all of yours files are in the proper directory?

@K2LL - Sorry you're having some problems getting things up and running. I'll bring this up and see if we can figure something out for you and other mac users.

Excuse our general silence. We're still working, I promise.
I'll look into it. I was just making sure Smash 3 and Project M were compatible. (I didn't know why they wouldn't be) I probably just made a mistake. Thanks!

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Guys! Guys! Bowser plz!

When will he be done? Bring on the fire already!
When will he be done indeed. Wait a minute, aren't you the one texturing Bowser?!

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I have a quick question, are CSP's already installed with the Pack Download? Or do we still need to put them in Common_5 via Brawl Box?

If they aren't does anybody want to post a download to PM with installed CSP's? I'd be glad to install them myself, but if someone else already has it done I'd be extremely grateful, as it does take time.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Yeah the pack has everything currently available installed, including CSPs. Anything DLC however will have to be installed manually.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Shin F. tried using terminal, same result. If it helps Im using a NTSC copy of brawl with a hackles wii. Thanks for the help though, I guess I'll wait until someone creates a finished build with Smash 3 on it.
I uploaded my custom build here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!9pc0CQDY!J0iwpRjYD9svjbVJHgYX2g

MediaFire mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ubs9k01cjibci5b/9bit_Smash_3.7z

Edit: my pack is for the Homebrew version of the game. I'm not sure exactly what files you'd want to change/replace for the hackless version.

It should have everything included for your SD card (you don't already need a vanilla PM on there). You can either just download the zip file, or all of the other files/folders in there. The zip file contains all that other stuff packaged together.

It's Project M default plus the following:
  • The most recent Smash 3 download + (almost) all the DLC + the HUD
    • I say almost all the DLC because I didn't include Marth's Samurai Showdown skin, Manga Shadow Tink, Seven Seas Meta Knight, or cBliss green Luigi
  • Ganondorf Sword Mod v3.0
  • Custom Skins
    • Melee Ganondorf over last skin slot
    • Batman over one of Captain Falcon's skins
    • Majora's Mask Meta Knight over pink skin
    • Pink Tophat DDD over pink skin
    • Rosalina over one of Peach's skins
    • Every skin has a character select portrait and in-game portrait by the stocks and %
  • Stages
  • Music / Sound
Sorry I don't have just the Smash 3 stuff on there. That's what I originally did but I kept adding stuff to the build and I didn't make a copy/backup of the point where it was just Smash 3 xD

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I uploaded my custom build here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!9pc0CQDY!J0iwpRjYD9svjbVJHgYX2g

It should have everything included for your SD card (you don't already need a vanilla PM on there). You can either just download the zip file, or all of the other files/folders in there. The zip file contains all that other stuff packaged together.

It's Project M default plus the following:
  • The most recent Smash 3 download + (almost) all the DLC + the HUD
    • I say almost all the DLC because I didn't include Marth's Samurai Showdown skin
  • Ganondorf Sword Mod
  • Melee Ganondorf over last skin slot
  • Batman over one of Captain Falcon's slots
  • Majora's Mask Meta Knight over pink skin
  • Every skin has a character select portrait and in-game portrait by the stocks and %
  • Results screen changed to PM Chill Room
  • Pokemon Stadium 2 changed to PM Stadium
  • Smashville changed to Woodfall Ville
  • TK's Moisture Pack music
  • Project Monolith announcer replacement
Sorry I don't have just the Smash 3 stuff on there. That's what I originally did but I kept adding stuff to the build and I didn't make a copy/backup of the point where it was just Smash 3 xD
You're a god, my friend.
I am eternally grateful.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Only thing I don't like out of the whole project is that the Smash 3 HUD has the timer in the top right of the screen. Other than that, I can't wait to see all of the other characters get released. :D

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Can there be a Hackless version?
The Project M Smash 3 pack can easily be launched hackless.

If you've yet to get it, download Project M, and then the Smash 3 Project M pack. Then drag Smash 3's files into your Project M files on the SD Card you use for Project M. It should ask you to merge folders, do so. It may also ask you about existing files, always hit copy and replace.

Then you'll be able to load Project M with Smash 3 skins through Stage Builder when your SD card is in.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
How would I go about adding the same rim lighting on some of my custom costumes? Your costumes make everything not Smash 3 look bad!

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
Why do birds suddenly appear every time Smash 3 is near? Because just like me, they want to be modded by you.

That or there's a bag of bird seed in my pocket.

Pretty sure it's the first one, though.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I don't think you understand fully. The rim lighting has already been applied onto those models with the default Brawl textures. All you have to do is take them and replace their textures with whatever you want, such as your recolors.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Are you guys changing PM's alt costumes too?

I feel rude asking, since you guys are hard at work. But I was just wondering if we'll see Smash 3 Doc or any of the other PM costumes.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Are you guys changing PM's alt costumes too?

I feel rude asking, since you guys are hard at work. But I was just wondering if we'll see Smash 3 Doc or any of the other PM costumes.
Yes. We mentioned it a few 100 times already, pm alts are last priority, were focusing to finish the original characters slots first. Then tackle the alts with a powerful smash 3 satellite cannon from mars.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates lately, but I've got an announcement to make!
No, we're not quitting.

Up to this point we've been working on making textures with the goal of making them more "Nintendo-esque," meaning reducing their designs to a more simple approach. From this point onward though, we'll be changing our project goal from "Nintendoise" to "Modernise" and focus on bringing the Smash 4 visual style to Brawl. I'll explain in detail why we've made this choice in a bit, but what does this mean for you guys? More consistent textures, as we'll actually have an established visual style to work off of. Maybe even faster releases because we'll have reference material as well.

As we've made progress, we've received feedback on a few characters that they just didn't look right (namely Ganondorf and Roy) while other characters were well recieved even though they were developed the same way. We've thought about this for a bit,and realized that though the "Nintendoise" approach works well for more simple characters, it doesn't translate well to more complex characters like Ganondorf. To illustrate this, I'll be using charcters from both extremes: Toon Link and Ganondorf.

Here's Toon Link as we have him currently. His design has a clear inspiration from his Wind Waker appearance.
Then, we have Ganondorf. We tried to imagine him as he would look between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, a bit like how people described Skyward Sword initially.
Though they look consistent, there's just something that doesn't feel right with Ganondorf because his design called for more realistic textures.

To test this theory, we tried giving Ganondorf more realistic textures:
He looks much more fitting with darker and more detailed textures. The difference is most noticable in the hair.
But then put him beside Toon Link, and the difference in their styles is huge. They just don't look consistent, and don't look like they're part of the same game at all.
We then realized that Smash 4 is visually doing what would make sense for us to do next, so we chose to create a Smash 4-esque texture for Toon Link:
Much better! Ganondorf gets to keep his more detailed textures, and Toon Link still fits in. Keep in mind that these textures are both still WIPs, and are subject to change.

As you could probably tell, we were already drawing inspiration from Smash 4, but now to keep consistent we'll take as much as we can from Smash 4. We don't aim to replicate Smash 4 1:1, as some things can't be done as they are in Smash 4. That said, this is still a visual overhaul of Brawl rather than a complete mod.
We won't be adding Smash 4 characters.
We won't be reworking the gameplay to match Smash 4.
We won't be adding Young Link.
We will still be called Smash 3 though. We've come up with a new logo to go with our new project goal as well!

We hope to roll out these updates as soon as we can, and thank you all for your continued support!

We've also added a FAQ to the OP, you'll be happy if you read it.

Last edited:

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
You have just made me the happiest Ganondorf main. The only real problems I had with smash 3 was how odd Ganon and Tink looked. Now they... *cough* excuse me. I'm just... *sobs* it's so beautiful. Oh my... I just can't stand to look at it any more.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Great update, although what I'm interested in is how many characters are going to be reworked from this point? I could easily see some like Fox/Falco staying the same even with this new goal. Cannot wait to see what is next.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Great update, although what I'm interested in is how many characters are going to be reworked from this point? I could easily see some like Fox/Falco staying the same even with this new goal. Cannot wait to see what is next.
It's a secret to everyone!

But not all of the characters will be getting updates as major as Ganondorf and Toon Link. Some of them won't receive an update at all.

Taiko

Smash Ace
As Shun said, not all characters will be updated. Personally, I want to update my characters to not look as flat, and also finish the Alt Costumes while I'm at it.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I assume you guys mostly be redoing the ones that need work?
Otherwise, glad to see this project is still running, and with a fancy new logo, too!

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see you guys have a consistent style now. Can't wait for more and I can't wait for some of the alts

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
THE HYPE IS REAL.

That being said, I hope Ness isn't drastically changed. His current S3 texture is by far my favorite skin ever.

Also. Couldn't you leave say current Ganon up on Brawl Vault, just in case someone decides they like it better?

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys going to continue to make those wallpapers? I was kinda hoping to get a Ganondorf one. Preferably post-update since that glorious hunk of evil looks as sweet as... uh... a very sweet thing. A bowl of jello, perhaps? I'm running out of overly dramatic and convoluted similes.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to see the whole cast done, especially with the new changes!

Also wondering if its possible to put the timer in the top middle of the screen on your Smash 3 HUD.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
6 Times the hype! 6!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That was a great update.

Liking the changes done to Ganondorf and Toon Link personally.

Yoshi and Kirby look great too.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I am eagerly waiting for when you guys finish this project. I must say, the work you've done is too sexy to pass on.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm curious how you guys are going to handle Bowser considering how different he looks in Smash4.

Top Bottom