• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taiko

Smash Ace
But is the part that's difficult and taking long the fault of having to update everything for PM 3.5, or just finishing up the characters in general?

Like, If 4.0 comes out before you guys are done with this, or if it breaks with 4.0 when you guys are done as it did with 3.5, what will happen?
Yeah. Is it just having to make recolors for those new costumes (black ivysaur for example) and characters that haven't been done yet? I don't think it takes that long because of things like Mario's discolored cape since those can be fixed in like 5 minutes each.

But that game is boring. Just filling the grid so that every row, every column and every 3x3 box contains the numbers 1 to 9 and nothing more than that.
It's the characters themselves and finding the time to work on them, really. The fixes don't take long. If 4.0 comes out, we'll just update everything to work with 4.0 instead.

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Hello again! I believe it's time I feature this again: Beta stuff! Be it recolors, model changes, textures, or poses several ideas get thrown around. In this case, Link received several new pose ideas. The first pose is based off his Hyrule Warriors art but wasn't used due to his torso not being fully visible. We try our best to get the characters' bodies in full view so you can see the changes to their textures. The second pose is based off a pose made for a rejected female Link from Hyrule Warriors named Linkle. This one wasn't actually planned to be used as Link's new pose but I thought it would look cool to make. I couldn't let these poses go to waste so I decided to shares these with you in with full renders and wallpapers. Now as for Link's official new pose Codex came up with it but we won't be showing that any time soon, I think I spoiled enough with Marth.

Last edited:

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
Hello again! I believe it's time I feature this again: Beta stuff! Be it recolors, model changes, textures, or poses several ideas get thrown around. In this case, Link received several new pose ideas. The first pose is based off his Hyrule Warriors art but wasn't used due to his torso not being fully visible. We try our best to get the characters' bodies in full view so you can see the changes to their textures. The second pose is based off a pose made for a rejected female Link from Hyrule Warriors named Linkle. This one wasn't actually planned to be used as Link's new pose but I thought it would look cool to make. I couldn't let these poses go to waste so I decided to shares these with you in with full renders and wallpapers. Now as for Link's official new pose Codex came up with it but we won't be showing that any time soon, I think I spoiled enough with Marth.
I prefer pose #1.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Your renders have improved tremendously since the first efforts of this project. The colors feel much more dynamic and realistically shaded and the lighting on the face is markedly better (I love how the hair pops as well although this is partially a result of the new textures, but I digress).

I also prefer pose 1 but both of these are excellent.

Juken

Smash Ace
I love that you guys are doing unique poses for the newer ones. I like (some of) the Smash 4 renders, but seeing stuff like the old Smash 3 Mario render having the same pose as the Smash 4 one made it feel less unique, especially when imagining Dr. Mario doing the same thing. Hopefully you guys do some more renders different from Smash 4's; maybe people will use them a lot like what's been happening with the Mewtwo and Meta-Knight ones.

Also, just a suggestion for Mario, but could you guys consider his Melee voice as an optional addition like with Sonic's? It fits the more vibrant Mario better than the Brawl one imo, and the Melee SFX pack has the Melee Mario voice in it (granted it's missing that "HERE WE GO!" line for when he wins).

zeldude

Smash Rookie
Hello again! I believe it's time I feature this again: Beta stuff! Be it recolors, model changes, textures, or poses several ideas get thrown around. In this case, Link received several new pose ideas. The first pose is based off his Hyrule Warriors artbut wasn't used due to his torso not being fully visible. We try our best to get the characters' bodies in full view so you can see the changes to their textures. The second pose is based off a pose made for a rejected female Link from Hyrule Warriors named Linkle. This one wasn't actually planned to be used as Link's new pose but I thought it would look cool to make. I couldn't let these poses go to waste so I decided to shares these with you in with full renders and wallpapers. Now as for Link's official new pose Codex came up with it but we won't be showing that any time soon, I think I spoiled enough with Marth.
Two quick questions: How do you make the renders? Also, is there a way I can get the Linkle pose file or something? Thanks in advance

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Okay, forget my complaints about Link's redesign, these renders have restored my hype! I know you guys don't want to use either pose for the official release, but would you guys be open to offering these (especially pose 1) as additional CSP/BP options?

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
I pefer pose 1, but overall this is much better than the old smash 3 link, Can you do a Shadow the Hedgehog render next I know someone who really needs it.

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
I love that you guys are doing unique poses for the newer ones. I like (some of) the Smash 4 renders, but seeing stuff like the old Smash 3 Mario render having the same pose as the Smash 4 one made it feel less unique, especially when imagining Dr. Mario doing the same thing. Hopefully you guys do some more renders different from Smash 4's; maybe people will use them a lot like what's been happening with the Mewtwo and Meta-Knight ones.

Also, just a suggestion for Mario, but could you guys consider his Melee voice as an optional addition like with Sonic's? It fits the more vibrant Mario better than the Brawl one imo, and the Melee SFX pack has the Melee Mario voice in it (granted it's missing that "HERE WE GO!" line for when he wins).
When making each pose, we come up with some that fit best with Smash 3's design. Sometimes completely original poses are made (i.e. Sonic), most of the time they're based off existing artwork (i.e. Sheik), and of course the rest are simply Smash 4 poses. No matter the case, if the pose fits with the rest (and we like it) we'll use it.

As for Mario's it would feel out of place. Smash 3 is meant to be more of an evolved form from Melee to Brawl. Using Melee sfx and voices takes away from that a bit. Sonic's voice pack was included because I figured people might like the voice pack I made a few years ago (it's my most popular voice pack anyway).

Two quick questions: How do you make the renders? Also, is there a way I can get the Linkle pose file or something? Thanks in advance
1) I use Blender Cycles. It's a free open-source modelling program with much faster rendering times than 3DS Max. We specifically use Blender for rendering and nothing else since 3DS Max enough for models.

2) I'll PM you the pose.

Okay, forget my complaints about Link's redesign, these renders have restored my hype! I know you guys don't want to use either pose for the official release, but would you guys be open to offering these (especially pose 1) as additional CSP/BP options?
I really did consider it at first when I made the pose but then I recalled the issue of touching up both poses would double the amount of time needed just for Link. Remember the Marth render I did? That was a straight up raw render; no Photoshopping. Every render done gets treatment of some kind including the recolors. Again, I would love to add the Hyrule Warriors pose as an alternate pose but we really want to get everything out sooner than later.

I pefer pose 1, but overall this is much better than the old smash 3 link, Can you do a Shadow the Hedgehog render next I know someone who really needs it.
I do all of these for fun and for the project; I don't take requests. That's not to sound rude, I just don't want it to turn into people saying, "Oh, cool! Can you do one of X character too?" Many of you respect the matter and I appreciate it, but depending on my actions things could start snowballing while picking up rocks along the way.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I really like both of those renders. That first one would be great with IWG's HW Links, I bet.

Speaking of that first one, we got to see the blade texture now! I like it. I see you added the fuller to it, and I think it looks a bit nicer than the fuller I added to OoT Link's blade. I'll definitely be upgrading that once this is released.

AnimeRyoth

Smash Rookie

Quick Question Cuz I don't wanna mess up like I did last time -.- . Will this SD Card work with Smash Stack? I wanted to ask experts themselves ok? Don't Judge.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Yes, although I don't think this is the thread you should be asking that question in.

Last edited:

SkySonicGuy

Smash Rookie
Those models look so amazing! You guys did a great job. (I just finished reading the whole thread by the way :sonic:)

I also think that all the renders Tailsmiles249 make are really well made!

Cannot wait for the next update,but I guess I can wait. -.- (If that makes any sense at all.)

Last edited:

Shiro_Neku

Smash Cadet
In case somebody didn't see the other thread, I make the S3 Peach to have the pink-gold metal just like the one that PM Peach use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s49rjdxqgqfvz4h/Peach.zip?dl=0
If somebody wants to do it, you just need to export the 'Ref1' texture that PM Peach have and import it to the desired file in BrawlBox, then you just need to rename the texture 'metal00' to 'Ref1', the textures the model use are inside the model in a branch called 'Textures'. I hope it's easy to understand my explanation.
Just a note you need to use an older version of BrawlBox (I use v0.68b for the files inside the zip) because if you use a recent one, like v74.b, the files make the wii crash for some unknown reason.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Will Smash 3 squirtle be able to put on the shades in 3.5?

EDIT: A better term for "shades" would be "Squirtle Squad Shades."
Unless they will for some reasons decide to randomly modify Pokemon Trainer's moveset files just to for some reasons get rid of shades, i doubt it. Squirtle's shades are not part of his model and instead are model from PT's GFX file.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Is there any reason why certain renders don't match the official Smash 4 artwork poses?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Because the design philosophy changed from "make it like smash4" to "make it our own unique thing"
...Then in that case it just looks weird to have certain characters match Smash 4 poses and other characters to have original poses.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...Then in that case it just looks weird to have certain characters match Smash 4 poses and other characters to have original poses.
Does that really matters? Its not like they start to stick out very noticably (like if smash 4 poses would also be in HD while original poses would be normal) because of that.

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
It doesn't.
It doesn't, but it may be a good idea to not have any similar to poses. I've said it before, but I have hopes that it gets recognized by PMDT or something when it's done so that more people would use it (I don't know about it becoming an official part of the mod though), and having portraits that aren't blatantly Smash 4 based would probably help with that.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Like I said before:
When making each pose, we come up with some that fit best with Smash 3's design. Sometimes completely original poses are made (i.e. Sonic), most of the time they're based off existing artwork (i.e. Sheik), and of course the rest are simply Smash 4 poses. No matter the case, if the pose fits with the rest (and we like it) we'll use it.
If we manage to come up with an original pose we like we'll use it. Otherwise they're based of original artwork with slight deviations.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The amount of work that goes into each pose and render is much more than you might think.

I can assure you that the amount of work that gets put in to each pose is more than admirable.

The Smash3 team COULD go ahead and make completely new renders, but pushing back the release even more is definitely not on the schedule.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
For that set of Link poses, I'm going to put out a vote for pose #2. Link's eyes seem more in focus there, as if he's looking straight at the players with a bow drawn. I find that to be awesome. Also, seeing a Link pose highlighting a weapon other than the Master Sword is really refreshing.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
For that set of Link poses, I'm going to put out a vote for pose #2. Link's eyes seem more in focus there, as if he's looking straight at the players with a bow drawn. I find that to be awesome. Also, seeing a Link pose highlighting a weapon other than the Master Sword is really refreshing.
There's no voting lol. The pose has already been decided.

And it hasn't been shown!

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I have a case of the sads now.
I am actually excited. If they didn't go with these two poses, the one they picked has gotta be good. Also, I trust Codex9's taste, after all, his build looks awesome so far. ;P.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Aside from me being iffy about certain characters having the same poses as Smash 4, I would just like to say how amazing I think Mewtwo looks in this and how beautiful the artwork is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom