• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Not sure if it's the font or the background, but I read "Russ" the first time. The sword's blade looks terrible, and the render seems too light for the background.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Trash that piece of junk. Your colors don't work, and it's not a good render to begin with.

BUT. If you feel like if you don't have this sig your life will end, then I would suggest adjustment layers, getting rid of that disgusting text, foreground effects (in the form of C4D's and/or EFFECTIVE brushing). Honestly trash it though, your background is the dirtiest looking thing since Amy Winehouse.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
ok here is my signature. I made it myself, it has both my mains morphed into one character..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
ok here is my signature. I made it myself, it has both my mains morphed into one character..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
and what do you want us to do about it? (you must critique before recieving critique, though I don't know if you would want to recieve critique on that...)

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Please read the rules before posting:
DEACTIVATE YOUR SIGNATURE IN THIS TOPIC

It is acceptable (but not preferable) if you activate your sig banner for the purpose of example or public rating. But for posting simple comments, the sigs serve no purpose other than clogging up the already graphic-intensive critiques topic.

Three warnings, that's it.

And try to give other people some helpful comments before demanding feedback. If you genuinely can't think of something to say, fine. Don't stretch yourself. But at least try.
@2Sko: I wouldn't be too proud of those sigs since they're pretty mediocre/beginner. They don't look very imaginative or artistically appealing mainly due to the 2 renders on opposite ends. You would have better luck clustering both of them together. Your text looks incredibly cheesy and low quality. Use simple text. Work on your colors and general composition. If you do choose to improve on your general GFX, look up some tutorials on composition on deviantart or any other GFX site.

Then again, this is a video game forum for those who want to show off their characters and have some witty quote, so I can't expect anything great.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I created Arora's Sig, (yes I really created it), and here it is...

^ That's Arora's just to clarify
^
^
^

And mine is........ under this
They're both pretty bad. overly crowded, bad composition, no uniting color scheme, horrible text, lack of depth. the usual stuff. I say trash them both and read some tutorials, but I like the quotations you have on your own.

I fail at text. you guys can teach meh? =D
w/o the nasty text:

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator

I fail at text. you guys can teach meh? =D
I think a lot of times the strong point about text in a signature is subtlety. Try no bigger than like 12 or 14 depending on the typeface.

Another thing, don't overcomplicate the style. Normally when someone says something like "That text is incredibly cheesy..." it means that it has a bunch of unnecesary junk added to it like loud colors, stroke outlines, and 3 dimensional curve effects. Simplify. Note that prevalent typefaces in our society are incredibly simple like Helvetica or Futura. Just try a plain font and work with it, it can be more effective.

Uh... oh yeh, a lot of successful text in signatures are close to the focal. I'm not sure why... it might be that it enhances flow, or makes it easier to correlate the meaning of the word(s) to the focal (and therefore the meaning of the piece).

Text is tough, but it can be fun to work with, I think. I still haven't figured out how best to use it myself, but I've seen some pretty cool stuff in other signatures before. It's tough to learn but the payoff is worth it. Sorta like the pen tool.

...Why do my posts always end up being twice as long as I want?

@ Black Waltz: That thread is so amazing no matter how many times I look at it. Should be stickied...

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
@ Black Waltz: That thread is so amazing no matter how many times I look at it. Should be stickied...
Holy crap. that really is an amazing thread. Some of those look professional quality(I could easily see Inspire's in a magazine).

So, thread stickied and moved here.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
cobra, that's meh. the splatters dont really fit and the lighting is off.

2 and 3 are manips.
only got 1 cnc for this.
and this is probly my fave tag ever. this is the real standard for anyone, I say.

this is what all beginners should be striving to achieve. not mine, of course, but I mean, this is how you make tags.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The contrast in that black and white piece is incredible. Love that random 8 on the left for some reason.

@ Mojo (2nd): I think those liquid effects are probably the best thing about this tag. :laugh: They are extremely well done. If you don't my asking, how did you go about making those? The lighting is superb, I actually like that the background is plain white. Interesting use of negative space. If it's possible I would try to widen the range of values on the woman somewhat... just to see how it looks.

I think my problem back when I made signatures was that I didn't spend enough time on them. :/ A week at most. But some of the pieces in that inspirational thread look like they could've taken weeks or even months to complete. I think patience factors a lot into the quality of the finished product.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
only got 1 cnc for this.
and this is probly my fave tag ever. this is the real standard for anyone, I say.

this is what all beginners should be striving to achieve. not mine, of course, but I mean, this is how you make tags.
Wow, Mojo. Prob your best tag yet.

Great vector job. I'm guessing the liquid effects are either clipping masks or a nice brushing job. The lighting is also accurate. I hope you use this as your current. This is really inspirational. :bee:

MojoMan

Smash Ace
OOOOOOO nooooo. no fkn way. that tag was ade by 8*b1t/Pimp, my favorite artist.

Some other brilliant stuff by this god of a man.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
no way man. skystrife is good, but number 1, I think he doesn't deserve his pro ranking, and I think pimp is better.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
p yeah, first is better, but u need better blending, fill in the left, and dont use really whored stocks.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
OOOOOOO nooooo. no fkn way. that tag was ade by 8*b1t/Pimp, my favorite artist.

Some other brilliant stuff by this god of a man.
Haha sorry, it was phrased weird to me, and it sounded like you wanted critique on it. x)

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
Inyro, im going to assume thats yours, and you want critique.
i really like the tag in general, but the space to the left is a little empty, which contrasts a little too much from the right side, which in that little corner has quite a bit going on
v1 is much better imo, not a fan of the border either.

but anyway, tarrazn's are my favs out of that thread by far, i wish i could do that (the waterfall one is amazing)
but that one by astroplus (the anime one) is amazing

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
D= I would debate this with you, but this thread is for critiquing, not for our disagreement. Speaking of critiquing:
I like v1 better. I see that you tried something different with the border. Nice :3

I recommend changing your smudge settings to a more detailed/scratchier version. Try adding more colors along with more detailed smudging. Also like someone said before, don't use whored-to-death stocks. .-.

CnC?

I made a new Photobucket account cuz my other one was filled with scrubby tags.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I made a new Photobucket account cuz my other one was filled with scrubby tags.
Stop copying me. =p

1Up, major problem with this tag is my same problem with most of your tags: too cluttered and random. The whole left side seems to be taking weight away from the right, and the abundance of scanlines gives it a bit of an impression of being too pixelly/sharp.

Try toning down the left side (the lines and circles, mainly) and try adding more pink/blue/purple to the near left and more green/yellow to the right (I'm not saying use all those colors, I'm just colorblind and tired so I can't tell the difference).

That thread needs more ecstatic, btw.

http://aaroneepap.deviantart.com/art/Ecstatic-Tagwall-85916075

(It's more that his LPs are inspirational, but that thread doesn't seem to be for LPs :| )

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Here's my recent inspiration. <3 Orbit:
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/066/0/5/My_Final__by_Orbit47.png

1UP: Left side is fine, but the right needs to be toned down a bit. And give it some more color (on the right side, seeing as that side is almost all pinks and purples). That, and tone down the light.

Anyway, new tag:

Thanks for the share Wind. V2 is better imo. I think the lighting's a little harsh in that one. Try to blend the fx on his arm a little bit more near his body. Overall, it looks sorta messy. Maybe a little more smudge and less fx.

CnC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom