• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Second Semiannual King of Evil Election!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yes, it is once again time for the true King of Evil to seize his throne on the seat of power to conquer the realm. Usurpers exist who try their hardest to imitate the King of Evil to seize rule as their own. However, the true King of Evil will always stand out and prove himself above the pitifully delusional pretenders.

The election's machinations are simple. The King of Evil will be decided by a unanimous agreement that the elected is indeed the supreme Ganon.

The criteria to be considered are (all material must be under 6 months old to be eligible):

-How strongly the person has represented Ganon
-Accomplishments

• Wins against notable players in tourney or MMs
-Consistency
  • Not so much placings, rather, losses.
-Video evidence (friendlies, MMs, tourney matches. However, the latter is the most legitimate and the one that will count the absolute most)

Despite Ganon's ruthlessness, he does have a sense of honor, even if it is twisted, sick and self-aggrandizing. The voting will work as follows:

-Vote for whichever Ganon you feel should be King of Evil.
-Give a reason explaining why you feel they should be elected from the given criteria.
-Consider all things.

Here are some things to keep in mind/ask about:

-Regional strength
-Notable player's credentials in the past 6 months (i.e. if they beat Ally back in '08, it doesn't really matter. If they're ranked 1st in a state or region that has a PR of like 4 people, it doesn't really matter)

Voting will conclude in the event that it is clear one competitor has outdone the other. If you wish to submit your name for eligibility, simple make a small resume of your accomplishments in the past 6 months.

And with that

LET THE KING ROAR HIS NAME

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
A few things...

Ladder shouldn't count at all lol... we both had good ladder runs, but it's wifi dude. That shouldn't even remotely be considered.

Also, taking games off of notable players shouldn't count either. It should only be sets. No PR's count taking games off, and neither should we IMO.

I personally don't think we should count $MM's either... at least, we shouldn't count $MMs for any less than $5. Most people I know (myself included) say they don't take MMs as seriously as tournament matches, unless it's $5 or more.

It seems like a lot of these rules are designed to pad our "resumes" to make it seem like we accomplished more than we did lol. I really don't want to try to remember every single game I've taken off of every notable player in every tournament and $MM, because nothing came out of it if I lost the set. I don't keep track of that stuff.

Maybe we should have talked first and agreed on some ground rules... regardless I'm gonna start gathering results, we can settle this later.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Vermanubis

Accomplishments

-Defeated Pr0wn's ICs twice in tournament. (Ranked in New England)
-Defeated C.Awesum's Meta Knight in tournament (Ranked, but unranked this period due to inactivity)
-Defeated Etecoon's Snake in a 5$ MM (Former ranked in NE)
-Defeated Peachkid twice in tournament.
-I wanna say defeated Nichole at Apex, but it wasn't technically a money match, but people had lined up for about two hours to play her, and she had remained undefeated until I played her, and the match was hype beyond all hell. I'll just throw that in there because I'm not honestly sure where to place it.
-Defeated Ed's Zelda in a MM.

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7njZoivgAM - Vermanubis vs. C.Awesome (tournament)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZs6MdJs6tw - Vermanubis vs. ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mlIkAUp6c - Vermanubis vs. LordXavier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDR6dGxU73o - Vermanubis vs. KirinBlaze

Consistency

-No losses to unranked players
-Consistent top 10 placing in New England

Representation

-Pure Ganon in tournament.

----------------------------------

@DLA: Fair enough. I do think, however, MMs less than 5$ should count, just not as much. I do want to point out, however, that if we're not counting games taken off of people, then if you beat someone in a set, but didn't go full Ganon, it should not be counted.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Vermanubis

@DLA: Fair enough. I do think, however, MMs less than 5$ should count, just not as much. I do want to point out, however, that if we're not counting games taken off of people, then if you beat someone in a set, but didn't go full Ganon, it should not be counted.
The difference is that I won the set though. That's a huge difference. A power ranking would count the set that I won for both of the characters I used.

Not using Ganon for a horrible matchup isn't a cop-out or anything--just look at other top players. Ally uses MK for his bad Snake matchups. Lain uses MK. Vinnie uses ICs and MK. But all of these players are still considered the best with their main characters.

I know you feel strongly that the only way to properly represent Ganon is to only use him and only him in tournament. But that's simply not true, and it's a pretty stubborn way to look at it IMO.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
That's fallacious. We're judging best Ganon. If you won the set, but did it with the assistance of someone other than Ganon, how is that any different from me taking a game off someone as Ganon? If you beat some guy as Ganon one game, and MK the next, then you took a game off of him as Ganon. Same applies to me.

Yes, PRs do count it as using both characters, but this is to elect the best Ganon, not the best Ganon/MK. You won the set, and that is indeed a huge difference. But in this context, it means next to nothing if you won a set with assistance. It's not that I think it's a cop-out, it's just fallacious reasoning that a win not entirely as Ganon should be commensurate in value with a set won as Ganon.

Whether PRs do it or not doesn't make it accurate or correct. Ignoring logical errors in favor of a PR mandate is just an appeal to authority. And yes, those people are considered the best with their characters. But that's primarily because they used those characters and made HUUUGE accomplishments with them far before they picked up secondaries.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I haven't read through anything, but I'd like to say that it's a little too early for this. A 6 months wait to determine the King of Evil sounds good, but their haven't been many other Ganons out there using him in tournaments/accomplishing things. You should just keep the King of Evil title at the moment.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
First of all, let me just make sure everyone knows that all of my partial Ganon wins came with Pika, not MK.

Second, I'm not saying that a set won partially with Ganon should be the same value as a set won entirely with Ganon. In fact I think it should be of lesser value. But think of it this way:

Say the Pikachu boards were also holding a King of Evil competition (or King of Annoying Rodents in this case lol). What happens they consider the sets where I won partially with Pikachu, but also with Ganon? By your logic, these sets would be invalid for the Pikachu PRs too. Why would these sets be invalid for both PRs, just due to the fact that I used two different characters in the sets? It completely negates the accomplishment.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Say the Pikachu boards were also holding a King of Evil competition (or King of Annoying Rodents in this case lol). What happens they consider the sets where I won partially with Pikachu, but also with Ganon? By your logic, these sets would be invalid for the Pikachu PRs too. Why would these sets be invalid for both PRs, just due to the fact that I used two different characters in the sets? It completely negates the accomplishment.
What happens if they consider the sets where you won partially with Pikachu, but also with Ganon?

Simple; their doing it wrong. Vermanubis is right here about using Ganon more than just partially. But it also depends on what we're talking about. If you beat someone with Ganon once, and Vermanubis did too once, but the next game you switch to another character while Vermanubis sticks with Ganon, then we should only consider the game which you two won as Ganon (how well that game was played, etc..)

Taking partial matches into consideration is totally pointless and neglects the main purpose of maining Ganon.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The games won as Pika should be counted for the Pika PRs. But winning as Ganon instead of Pika (LOL) would be a split win that should count for far less on both ends. It would speak more to the person's ability as an overall player, perhaps, but not as either character over another.

If you win a game as Ganon, but finish the job as someone else, it's taking a game off as Ganon. Ignoring the fallacies that PRs operate under, looking at things plainly, one can see that taking a set off somebody as one character speaks volumes more than taking a game off of them then winning with someone else. You said yourself we shouldn't count games taken off of people, rather, sets. Using this mode of logic which I am, which I feel confident almost everyone will be in agreement with, that means we're going solely by MMs and sets won entirely as Ganon. Otherwise it isn't a King of Evil election.

I also want to point out that PRs don't take characters used into account. It's about overall ranking, not character ranking. Crossing the two over, as I've explained, would be completely nonsensical and fallacious.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Vermanubis said:
??
LordXavier
KirinBlaze

Not much of an accomplishment if you ask me. Who are these people?

It's a shame my win against Ally's Falcon went to the trash can.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
The games won as Pika should be counted for the Pika PRs.
But then why shouldn't the games won with Ganon count for the Ganon PRs?

But winning as Ganon instead of Pika (LOL) would be a split win that should count for far less on both ends.
If it should count on both ends, then why wouldn't it count for the Ganon boards?

If you win a game as Ganon, but finish the job as someone else, it's taking a game off as Ganon.
I didn't finish the job as someone else... I switched TO Ganon, for both sets in question.

Ignoring the fallacies that PRs operate under, looking at things plainly, one can see that taking a set off somebody as one character speaks volumes more than taking a game off of them then winning with someone else.
So you're saying that every single power rankings thread operates under fallacies? Why would every single power ranking thread on SWF--all of which are run by a panel of the most impartial people in each state/region--use rules pretty much the same exact set of guidelines, if these guidelines contained fallacies? Just because you personally disagree with the guidelines doesn't mean they're erroneous.

Most people agree that the standard guidelines for power rankings are the most competitively viable.

You said yourself we shouldn't count games taken off of people, rather, sets
that means we're going solely by MMs and sets won entirely as Ganon.
I bolded the difference between the two quotes. Where did "sets won entirely with Ganon" come in? I said that we should only count sets. Not "sets won entirely with Ganon".

I also want to point out that PRs don't take characters used into account. It's about overall ranking, not character ranking. Crossing the two over, as I've explained, would be completely nonsensical and fallacious.
PRs DO take characters used into account though. Don't you see characters next to every player's name? And notice how they often change from PR to PR? The panels don't just take a general consensus of what character each player mains. They use tournament data to find out which character the player used to win the most matches. And then they put that character next to the player's name. There was one PR last year where I barely used more MK than Ganon, and they put me down as MK instead of Ganon. They knew I was a Ganon main, but I used more MK so they had to put MK in front.

-----

My point is, we can call this a "King of Evil" competition, but when it comes down to it, this is a power ranking. We're using tournament results to rank players. It just happens to have two players, and the results have to be Ganondorf results. It sounds like you have personal bias against the standard Power Ranking rules, but that's all opinion. This is a community project, and we should have agreed on the rules before making the thread. You didn't ask me (or anyone) about the rules beforehand... you just posted it and assumed that everyone would agree. Or that you can convince everyone to agree with you.

We should first agree on the guidelines, and THEN start considerations. Because this is probably going to get really ugly, really fast lol.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
My point is, we can call this a "King of Evil" competition, but when it comes down to it, this is a power ranking. We're using tournament results to rank players. It just happens to have two players, and the results have to be Ganondorf results. It sounds like you have personal bias against the standard Power Ranking rules, but that's all opinion. This is a community project, and we should have agreed on the rules before making the thread. You didn't ask me (or anyone) about the rules beforehand... you just posted it and assumed that everyone would agree. Or that you can convince everyone to agree with you.

We should first agree on the guidelines, and THEN start considerations. Because this is probably going to get really ugly, really fast lol.
I agree. Verm, you can't just go ahead and make such a thread, let alone the rules for this thread without discussing it with other Ganons. It doesn't work that way.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
KirinBlaze is a NY Brawler and one of the best Links/Marios in the country. Definitely worth being on here.
The other two? Vermanubis doesn't know the name of one of them, why put up a match as an accomplishment if you don't know who it is you're fighting?

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
That's actually a good point... you took a game off of Ally in pools right? But we didn't end up counting it. Why should we count taking a game off this time around?

edit: I've mulled it over, and I think we should just post whatever we think will help us. Posting stuff like beating Nicole in friendlies, and taking Fatal to last hit in a $MM really isn't impressive though... like, I live a state away from Nicole and I beat her all the time. She's even said online that I have a better Ganon after fighting both of us lol. Stuff like that really doesn't belong in this thread IMO--we should be going to quality of our achievements over quantity. But go ahead and post it if you think it will help. I'll be posting achievements of substance instead of padding my resume.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Not much of an accomplishment if you ask me. Who are these people?

Those are nothing more than videos where I did well. That's what the video evidence section is for.

The other two? Vermanubis doesn't know the name of one of them, why put up a match as an accomplishment if you don't know who it is you're fighting?
He's a good Sheik that I played at Apex. I just didn't catch his name.

I agree. Verm, you can't just go ahead and make such a thread, let alone the rules for this thread without discussing it with other Ganons. It doesn't work that way.
We're discussing it now. I figure this is the best way, since, if it's just let to two or three Ganons, it'll just be a big argument.

But then why shouldn't the games won with Ganon count for the Ganon PRs?
Also, taking games off of notable players shouldn't count either. It should only be sets.
I didn't finish the job as someone else... I switched TO Ganon, for both sets in question.
Then that's still only a game won as Ganon, not a set.

So you're saying that every single power rankings thread operates under fallacies? Why would every single power ranking thread on SWF--all of which are run by a panel of the most impartial people in each state/region--use rules pretty much the same exact set of guidelines, if these guidelines contained fallacies? Just because you personally disagree with the guidelines doesn't mean they're erroneous.

Most people agree that the standard guidelines for power rankings are the most competitively viable.
In this context. PRs run to determine the highest ranked player. This is character specific.

I bolded the difference between the two quotes. Where did "sets won entirely with Ganon" come in? I said that we should only count sets. Not "sets won entirely with Ganon".
DLA, you have to understand that this is determining the best Ganon. If you won a set without going full Ganon, then that should not count towards being The best Ganon. Under the premise that PRs only count sets, we should only count sets relevant to Ganon, since this is a Ganon specific thing. You can't rely on technicalities to earn you a spot as a character you don't fully accomplish things with. Think about it: what difference is there between if I take a game off of someone as Ganon, and you win a set against them, but only win one game as Ganon? "That's how PRs work" doesn't cut it. If we're going to count wins as other characters for a character-specific election, I want to hear clear, solid reasoning.

PRs DO take characters used into account though. Don't you see characters next to every player's name? And notice how they often change from PR to PR? The panels don't just take a general consensus of what character each player mains. They use tournament data to find out which character the player used to win the most matches. And then they put that character next to the player's name. There was one PR last year where I barely used more MK than Ganon, and they put me down as MK instead of Ganon. They knew I was a Ganon main, but I used more MK so they had to put MK in front.
DLA, you missed my point. I didn't say they don't acknowledge characters, I said they don't take them into account. Beating a ranked player as Ganon does not make a difference to beating them as Meta Knight. PRs work under the premise "If you beat 'em, you beat 'em--with whom is irrelevant."

I've mulled it over, and I think we should just post whatever we think will help us. Posting stuff like beating Nicole in friendlies, and taking Fatal to last hit in a $MM really isn't impressive though... like, I live a state away from Nicole and I beat her all the time. She's even said online that I have a better Ganon after fighting both of us lol. Stuff like that really doesn't belong in this thread IMO--we should be going to quality of our achievements over quantity. But go ahead and post it if you think it will help. I'll be posting achievements of substance instead of padding my resume.
No, I agree. We shouldn't count such things. As far as beating people, I agree that only sets should be counted, because talking about taking games off does seem a bit silly. Also, DLA, I expect a bit more maturity and class than just bluntly saying "So and so said I'm better than you."

All in all, the argument is indefensible. I'm more than willing to append the rules, as I figured they would work themselves out via debate. But I will not budge on the current issue. There is absolutely no reason a character specific award should involve other characters. That makes absolutely no sense. Vex Kasrani isn't ranked for Bowser because he hasn't won sets with Bowser in forever, despite his clear standing as one of the best. No character-specific election in the hands of sound-minded individuals would be run under a half-and-half premise such as the one you propose. There is no sound reasoning as to how taking only one game off someone as Ganon while winning the set using other characters should be counted above taking games off as Ganon in a set you didn't win.

You made it clear we shouldn't count games taken off. So we won't. Sets, videos, representation and consistency are what are to be considered right now. And if anyone believes those to be insufficient grounds for nomination and eligibility, then I welcome them to think of something else. But I highly doubt they will, as those four cover almost every relevant thing possible.

Here is my reasoning for the current voting rules and criteria:

-Accomplishments: Obvious. To be the best at something and prove it, you need to accomplish things. DLA stated he didn't think single games taken off should count. I more or less agree. However, this being a character-specific election, if a set is not won using purely Ganon, I see no defensible reason as to why it should count towards this. No technicalities or semantics can change the fact that beating someone as someone other than Ganon should not be warped and twisted into ranking akin to PRs that ignores character usage on one end, but acknowledges it on the other, e.g. winning a set using two characters.

-Video evidence: Not the most formal way of doing things, but it's at least a bit of a help to kind of see how the person plays. As I stated, tournament matches count the absolute most--far more than friendly videos.

-Consistency: Another obvious one. Placings should not take precedence over anything, as anyone can get a lucky bracket full of nobodies. Unranked losses, in my opinion, should be the ultimate indicator of consistency or inconsistency. If we do decide to selectively choose which PR guidelines we'll follow, then one could say unranked losses should count heavily to the ranking as well.

Representation: Ties into a few other things. Overall how much the person does for Ganon's metagame and how strongly he or she represents them.

I do not possibly see how any person interested in a fair competition and election could contest these criteria. They are ubiquitous judging tools and are entirely impartial, aside from maybe videos. I posted this thread with the hopes that no one would try to get by on technicalities, otherwise, in my eyes, the criteria is perfectly fair and anyone who takes issue with it is only interested in bending odds in their favor.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
That's actually a good point... you took a game off of Ally in pools right? But we didn't end up counting it. Why should we count taking a game off this time around?
In brackets, not pools.

@Verm: So they aren't accomplishments.

We're discussing it now. I figure this is the best way, since, if it's just let to two or three Ganons, it'll just be a big argument.
Then you shouldn't of bothered setting up pre-determined rules on your own.

-Accomplishments: Obvious. To be the best at something and prove it, you need to accomplish things. DLA stated he didn't think single games taken off should count. I more or less agree. However, this being a character-specific election, if a set is not won using purely Ganon, I see no defensible reason as to why it should count towards this. No technicalities or semantics can change the fact that beating someone as someone other than Ganon should not be warped and twisted into ranking akin to PRs that ignores character usage on one end, but acknowledges it on the other, e.g. winning a set using two characters.

-Video evidence: Not the most formal way of doing things, but it's at least a bit of a help to kind of see how the person plays. As I stated, tournament matches count the absolute most--far more than friendly videos.

-Consistency: Another obvious one. Placings should not take precedence over anything, as anyone can get a lucky bracket full of nobodies. Unranked losses, in my opinion, should be the ultimate indicator of consistency or inconsistency. If we do decide to selectively choose which PR guidelines we'll follow, then one could say unranked losses should count heavily to the ranking as well.

Representation: Ties into a few other things. Overall how much the person does for Ganon's metagame and how strongly he or she represents them.
I remember in the previous thread you made, you wanted to input all of the following: Respectable/well-known/talented players beaten
-Tournament placings (this one's iffy. People beaten in bracket is more important than actual placing. Regional strengths and discrepancies must be taken into account) It is preferred that both competitors provide their best placings
-Word of mouth of respected/good players
-Strength of representation
-Offline activity
-Contributions
-Videos

Instead of squabbling over a somewhat whimsical position, we should hold off until a Ganon main clearly distinguishes himself over the rest of the Ganons. We all know what it requires to be the best of any character; skills and consistency. Other than that, everything else goes to the trash. Nothing any one of us did is distinguishing over another.

I don't think you should be making such a thread which is biased in your favor, and I don't mean that in the sense of the rules aiming towards you. Basically, you shouldn't make this thread at all, the best Ganon is the Ganon who is most skilled and consistence in tournaments, nothing else. Accomplishments doesn't matter all that much. Why? Player A may be getting constant rank threes with Ganon, while Player B who never use Ganon beats a very good recognized player as Ganon.

While I don't believe either you or DLA to be better than me skill-wise, I do believe you two to be better than me in a the mixture of your consistent activities and skills combined.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
In brackets, not pools.

@Verm: So they aren't accomplishments.
The first video is. It's a tournament match. The rest are not, but I never said they were.

I remember in the previous thread you made, you wanted to input all of the following: Respectable/well-known/talented players beaten
-Tournament placings (this one's iffy. People beaten in bracket is more important than actual placing. Regional strengths and discrepancies must be taken into account) It is preferred that both competitors provide their best placings
-Word of mouth of respected/good players
-Strength of representation
-Offline activity
-Contributions
-Videos
I learned a lot since last time. Word of mouth means nothing, placings mean little and so forth. The others mostly stand though.

Instead of squabbling over a somewhat whimsical position, we should hold off until a Ganon main clearly distinguishes himself over the rest of the Ganons. We all know what it requires to be the best of any character; skills and consistency. Other than that, everything else goes to the trash. Nothing any one of us did is distinguishing over another.
I agree for the most part, however, I believe at this point I have. I've taken on some presumably impossible MUs and won them against ranked players in a strong region. If by distinguish, you mean one of us take first and beat names like M2K, then that's probably not going to happen in the near future. For what we have now, I believe I have indeed distinguished myself.

I don't think you should be making such a thread which is biased in your favor, and I don't mean that in the sense of the rules aiming towards you. Basically, you shouldn't make this thread at all, the best Ganon is the Ganon who is most skilled and consistence in tournaments, nothing else. Accomplishments doesn't matter all that much. Why? Player A may be getting constant rank threes with Ganon, while Player B who never use Ganon beats a very good recognized player as Ganon.
Biased means "in one's favor," so I don't quite understand how it can be biased, yet not with the rules geared towards me.

While I don't believe either you or DLA to be better than me skill-wise, I do believe you two to be better than me in a the mixture of your consistent activities and skills combined.
Not sure how to respond to that. I'm not really the type to tell people I think I'm better than them.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
DLA

Representation

Currently ranked #4 in IL (a region comparable in skill to New England) as a Ganondorf main, behind Kain, Arty, and Sago. I've been consistently ranked as a Ganon main since I started playing in 08, only dropping to HM once in about 6-7 updates, and only being ranked as a non-Ganon main once.

Achievements

Tournaments

-Defeated Arty in tournament (#1 in IL at the time, now #2 behind Kain). Including beating his MK with Ganon game 3.

-Defeated Grimace in tournament(3rd in Wisconsin, got 25th at MLG Cbus and 17th at MLG Raleigh), going Ganon game 3.

-Defeated Trent in tournament (#1 in Nebraska at the time, one of the top 3 sonics in the midwest), going all Ganon.

-Defeated Tyr in pools (one of the best Lucases, and part of the God Kais), going all Ganon

-Defeated 4rce in pools (was ranked in Kansas at one point if I'm not mistaken, but I think he's inactive now), going all Ganon

-Defeated Breezy, one of the best Ganons in the country, twice in Ganon dittos.

-Defeated Meneil (Previously ranked in IL, plays Falco and Ike), going all Ganon.

-And many more unranked wins with Ganon.

Minor Tournament Achievements

-(Doubles) - Teamed with Kain and beat Lain and Gio's double MK team twice, making them get 3rd in the tournament.

Money Matches
(I don't play a lot of MMs... I'll usually only play them if I'm challenged).

Beat Arty's Snake in a $10 MM.

Beat YoshQ (4th best in Wisconsin)in 2 money matches (one was $1 and one was $3 I believe)

Beat Tyr in a $3 MM (the regional before I beat him in pools)

Beat Sago's Snake (#3 in IL, Snake is one of his secondaries) in a $3 MM

Beat Fatboy's Snake (#2 in Wisconsin, Snake is one of his secondaries) in a $3 MM

honestly I can't remember any more, I've been challenged to a lot of $MMs but I don't want to offend anyone if I get them wrong.

Consistency

I performed consistently enough to be ranked #4 in IL as a Ganondorf main, using Ganon to win more than 50% of my tournament matches (it's probably closer to 80%.) I believe that speaks for itself.

Videos

DLA vs. Hunger, Round 2

DLA vs. Breezy, Rounds 1 and 2

DLA vs. Diska, Round 1
DLA vs. Diska, Round 2

There are a few friendlies but I don't think those are worth posting.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
That's my resume. Verm, post whatever you want man. Good luck to you.

I'm sorry that this turned into an immature mudslinging fest--I feel dirty reading through this thread. I hate arguing about results--time to let everyone else decide.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Representation

Currently ranked #4 in IL (a region comparable in skill to New England) as a Ganondorf main, behind Kain, Arty, and Sago. I've been consistently ranked as a Ganon main since I started playing in 08, only dropping to HM once, and only been ranked as a non-Ganon main once.

Comparable in skill how? NE has two of the top 5 Snakes, a top MK/best Pit, a top 5 Falco and so forth. IL only has 6 ranked players, many of which I do believe are top players aside from Kain being Wolf and Arty, maybe.

-Defeated Arty in tournament (#1 in IL at the time, now #2 behind Kain). Including beating his MK with Ganon game 3.

-Defeated Grimace in tournament(3rd in Wisconsin, got 25th at MLG Cbus and 17th at MLG Raleigh), going Ganon game 3.

-Defeated Trent in tournament (#1 in Nebraska at the time, one of the top 3 sonics in the midwest), going all Ganon.

-Defeated Tyr in pools (one of the best Lucases, and part of the God Kais), going all Ganon

-Defeated 4rce in pools (was ranked in Kansas at one point if I'm not mistaken, but I think he's inactive now), going all Ganon

-Defeated Breezy, one of the best Ganons in the country, twice in Ganon dittos.

-And many, many more unranked wins (and probably a few more ranked ones that I forgot)
That makes three total sets you've won against people, all Ganon.

Minor Tournament Achievements

-Took a game off of Hunger in tournament (#1 in WI, considered to be the best Wario(or maybe second best behind Malcolm))

-Took a game off of Nappy (#2 in MN) by 2 stocking his Snake, and took his Diddy to last hit next 2 games

-(Doubles) - Teamed with Kain and beat Lain and Gio's double MK team twice, making them get 3rd in the tournament.
DLA, you said yourself we shouldn't count games taken off. Now that I mention that split sets shouldn't be counted, you seem to want to count single matches taken off. Not very fair, if you ask me.

Money Matches
(I don't play a lot of MMs... I'll usually only play them if I'm challenged).[/I]

Beat Arty's Snake in a $10 MM.

Beat YoshQ (4th best in Wisconsin)in 2 money matches (one was $1 and one was $3 I believe)

Beat Tyr in a $3 MM (the regional before I beat him in pools)

Beat Fatboy's Snake (#2 in Wisconsin, Snake is his secondary) in a $3 MM
Alright, these seem solid. But you said, again, MMs for less than 5$ shouldn't count, and I agreed they shouldn't count for much either.

Consistency

I performed consistently enough to be ranked #4 in IL... I believe that speaks for itself.
It does to a degree, but not entirely, in my opinion. IL as far as I can tell is not a big state, as the PR is only 6 people. Do you have unranked losses? If so, how many?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
-Defeated Pr0wn's ICs twice in tournament. (Ranked in New England)

Has won versus some of our region's best, such as Bizkit, most recently.

-Defeated C.Awesum's Meta Knight in tournament (Ranked, but unranked this period due to inactivity)

C.Awesome lives far up in Maine, so he rarely makes it to enough tournaments to be ranked. When he is active though, he is normally ranked. Known as the campiest player in New England

-Defeated Etecoon's Snake in a 5$ MM (Former ranked in NE)

Etecoon has also beaten some of our best, such as TeeVee. He is unranked this period, however.

-Defeated Peachkid twice in tournament.

Peachkid is a great Peach, usually placing top 10 in our region. He is not ranked, but he is a notable player in our region. Not a huge victory, but one nonetheless

-Defeated Ed's Zelda in a MM.

1st/2nd best Zelda
Consistency

-No losses to unranked players

I've never lost to an unranked player in the past 6 months

-Consistent top 10 placing in New England

NE is pretty stacked and is mostly top-tiers, so this is a fairly decent accomplishment

Representation

-Pure Ganon in tournament.

Self-explanatory

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I'm not gonna start a wall of text war with you Verm lol. To answer some of your questions... IL only has 6 ranked players because we were very picky this update and decided that only 6 players deserved to be ranked. Our 7-10 players are easily as good as your 7-10 players, and we have Kain who's not only the best wolf, but one of the top 5 players in the midwest. Arty's also a top 5 Falco. Koolaid is a top MK for your region, but definitely not a top MK in the country. Sago, just like Koolaid, is also a top 5 MK for our region.

I don't blame you for not paying attention to our regionals (because I don't really pay attention to NE regionals), but IL is a very good state with solid placings, that most people tend to overlook because we're midwest.

As for everything else... just post what you want. The only reason you now agree with me about sets vs. games is because you think you can invalidate half of my notable tournament wins due to a technicality. You wouldn't have posted your notable "games" in the first place if you thought differently.

Beating Arty and Grimace are two of the proudest moments of my Smash career, and especially my Ganon career. I personally feel that they're two of my most impressive accomplishments with Ganon, and I think that you recognize that and just want to take it away from me to make it easier for yourself to win the election.

If you really want to win from a technicality (which you just said you didn't want to do a few posts ago), then there's not much I could have done in the first place as someone who's isn't a Ganon purist.

edit: and no, I have no unranked losses in the last 6 months. That kind of comes with "being ranked 4th in the state".

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
DLA, I agreed with the no single games taken into consideration long before I knew anything of what you were going to post. If you look back to the first page, you said you don't think they should be considered. So I complied and removed it from the criteria. You're contradicting yourself to put the odds in your favor. All I did was agree to your terms, and when the terms didn't work out in your favor, you wanted to change them back. I have a list a mile long of single games won versus people like Doom, Pelca, Koolaid, etc. I just did think it was silly to include those, because it seemed like scrounging.

And... I do recognize that you beat Grimace and Arty. I'm very proud you did. But you only took a game off of Arty and Grimace as Ganon. Don't renege on your initial sentiment. I'm proud of the games I've taken off of people, but I agreed to play by your rules, so play by your own. And again, it's not about being a purist. It's about doing work as Ganon to be recognized as the best Ganon. If you're not mostly Ganon in your big moments, then it's simply not possible in most cases.

Also, taking games off of notable players shouldn't count either. It should only be sets. No PR's count taking games off, and neither should we IMO.
Last edited by Vermanubis; Today at 02:55 PM.
Your next post wasn't until 3:12. So unless I'm clairvoyant, I played by the rules and agreed for the sake of fairness. I was well aware of your wins vs. Arty and Grimace long before I said we should count "minor" achievements, such as <5$ MMs, single wins and "taking to last hit." And if I wanted to win from technicalities, I would've just kept my "minor achievements" list there and argued for it.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
DLA, I agreed with the no single games taken into consideration long before I knew anything of what you were going to post. If you look back to the first page, you said you don't think they should be considered. So I complied and removed it from the criteria. You're contradicting yourself to put the odds in your favor. All I did was agree to your terms, and when the terms didn't work out in your favor, you wanted to change them back. I have a list a mile long of single games won versus people like Doom, Pelca, Koolaid, etc. I just did think it was silly to include those, because it seemed like scrounging.

And... I do recognize that you beat Grimace and Arty. I'm very proud you did. But you only took a game off of Arty and Grimace as Ganon. Don't renege on your initial sentiment. I'm proud of the games I've taken off of people, but I agreed to play by your rules, so play by your own. And again, it's not about being a purist. It's about doing work as Ganon to be recognized as the best Ganon. If you're not mostly Ganon in your big moments, then it's simply not possible in most cases.
I realize that I do seem contradictory right now. The reason for that is because I saw you include a lot of lesser achievements, and I thought I would be too lazy/forgetful to remember as many as you did. I didn't want people to get the wrong idea when your list was a lot longer than mine. But it turned out that it was easier than I thought it would be, and my list turned out fine.

I never meant to shorten your list or make you remove things from your list. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew exactly how they should weigh each of our achievements. Feel free to re-add everything you previously had, in addition to the games you took from Doom, Pelca, and Koolaid. It's your call.

The terms didn't "not turn out in my favor"--we just disagree on one vital point. And that point is whether or not winning a set using Ganon + a secondary is the same as losing a set, but winning one game with Ganon.

You can't really compare my Arty and Grimace sets--which I won--to taking one game from Doom, Pelca, and Koolaid, but losing.

Because if I didn't beat Arty/Grimace with Ganon--then who did I win with? According to your logic, I wouldn't be able to use the sets for a Pikachu competition either. And that's not fair.

You can't use your sets with Doom, Pelca, and Koolaid for ANY competition, because you lost those sets. But if you want to put them up here, then be my guest. Just expect people to give them a small amount of weight.

I will remove my sets with Hunger and Nappy, because I agree that those shouldn't be up there, but my sets with Arty and Grimace deserve to be up there IMO.

edit: congrats on 1337 posts Verm lol. you'll probably post soon and ruin it though lmao XD

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I realize that I do seem contradictory right now. The reason for that is because I saw you include a lot of lesser achievements, and I thought I would be too lazy/forgetful to remember as many as you did. I didn't want people to get the wrong idea when your list was a lot longer than mine. But it turned out that it was easier than I thought it would be, and my list turned out fine.

I never meant to shorten your list or make you remove things from your list. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew exactly how they should weigh each of our achievements. Feel free to re-add everything you previously had, in addition to the games you took from Doom, Pelca, and Koolaid. It's your call.
I doubt anyone will buy that, DLA, including me. You said, verbatim "PRs shouldn't count them, so neither should we." This seems a bit too convenient.

The terms didn't "not turn out in my favor"--we just disagree on one vital point. And that point is whether or not winning a set using Ganon + a secondary is the same as losing a set, but winning one game with Ganon.
I still don't get how you maintain this fallacious reasoning. In both cases, you win one game as Ganon. We're determining the best Ganon. How does winning as a secondary have bearing on how good a Ganon you are? It makes zero sense.

You can't really compare my Arty and Grimace sets--which I won--to taking one game from Doom, Pelca, and Koolaid, but losing.
I can. Because, you don't know if you would've won the sets had you stayed Ganon. All that is known is we both won a game as Ganon. You won the set as another character. That has absolutely no bearing on a Ganon-specific award. You cannot possibly justify that, and you have yet to. You just repeatedly say "it counts more" without sufficient reasoning.

Because if I didn't beat Arty/Grimace with Ganon--then who did I win with? According to your logic, I wouldn't be able to use the sets for a Pikachu competition either. And that's not fair.
Not according to my logic. According to your suggestion which I agreed to. You made the request, I acquiesced. It's too coincidental that once people start discrediting your sets as single wins as Ganon, that you want to append the rules. It was very clear you had every intention of using split sets as full accomplishments, but when it was contested, you wanted to switch back.

You can't use your sets with Doom, Pelca, and Koolaid for ANY competition, because you lost those sets.
I did. But we don't know whether or not you would've won your sets had you gone full Ganon. All that matters is we both won one as Ganon.

I will remove my sets with Hunger and Nappy, but my sets with Arty and Grimace deserve to be up there IMO.
Up to you.

Also, what about SiiS4?

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I doubt anyone will buy that, DLA, including me. You said, verbatim "PRs shouldn't count them, so neither should we." This seems a bit too convenient.
Yes, PRs don't count sets where you win one game but lose the set. They DO, however, count set wins with two different characters. That's exactly what I'm saying lmao.

I still don't get how you maintain this fallacious reasoning. In both cases, you win one game as Ganon. We're determining the best Ganon. How does winning as a secondary have bearing on how good a Ganon you are? It makes zero sense.

I can. Because, you don't know if you would've won the sets had you stayed Ganon. All that is known is we both won a game as Ganon. You won the set as another character. That has absolutely no bearing on a Ganon-specific award. You cannot possibly justify that, and you have yet to. You just repeatedly say "it counts more" without sufficient reasoning.
It "counts more" because, while we don't know if I would've won the sets if I stayed Ganon, we DO know that you LOST the sets when you stayed Ganon. I shouldn't get penalized because of something that didn't even happen. I could have won if I stayed Ganon the entire set... but since I didn't stay Ganon, I didn't lose. If both of our situations happened in a tournament, I would advance and you would not. That's the difference.

It was very clear you had every intention of using split sets as full accomplishments, but when it was contested, you wanted to switch back.
I still want to use "split sets" as accomplishments. Not necessarily full accomplishments, but they shouldn't be disregarded. I won't switch from this point of view.

Also, what about SiiS4?
Not sure what you mean?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yes, PRs don't count sets where you win one game but lose the set. They DO, however, count set wins with two different characters. That's exactly what I'm saying lmao.
I know that's what you're saying, but that's not how this works. We're not abiding by PR rules in that regard. PRs rank players, not superlatives for characters. You completely evaded what I was saying.

It "counts more" because, while we don't know if I would've won the sets if I stayed Ganon, we DO know that you LOST the sets when you stayed Ganon. I shouldn't get penalized because of something that didn't even happen. I could have won if I stayed Ganon the entire set... but since I didn't stay Ganon, I didn't lose. If both of our situations happened in a tournament, I would advance and you would not. That's the difference.
You're not being penalized, you're just not being rewarded. As stated before, if we're determining the superior Ganon, then an instance in which you switched and I lost results in inconclusive evidence to be put forth if our objective is to determine, solely the superior Ganon. It is not a difficult concept to grasp. I have a feeling you understand it, but want to play semantics to your benefit. All that matters is what games were won as Ganon.

I still want to use "split sets" as accomplishments. Not necessarily full accomplishments, but they shouldn't be disregarded. I won't switch from this point of view.
Oy vay.

Not sure what you mean?[/QUOTE]

Who did you win/lose to?

Until some other Ganons post (if they do) we'll just keep arguing in circles. We'll leave it to them to decide. I still think it's just poor sportsmanship to rearrange things mid-game. If it is decided that we do include "minor achievements," then whether or not you won the set with secondaries should be totally irrelevant.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
It is not a difficult concept to grasp. I have a feeling you understand it, but want to play semantics to your benefit. All that matters is what games were won as Ganon.
You think all that matters is what games were won with Ganon. And I think all that matters is what sets were won with Ganon. I understand what you're saying perfectly, and I understand your reasoning, but I just disagree with it.

Who did you win/lose to?
I lost to Shugo, Sago, and Mister Eric at SiiS4. All of whom are ranked (and very good).

Until some other Ganons post (if they do) we'll just keep arguing in circles. We'll leave it to them to decide. I still think it's just poor sportsmanship to rearrange things mid-game. If we do include "minor achievements," then whether or not you won the set with secondaries should be totally irrelevant.
I didn't rearrange anything. In fact, I didn't even get a chance to ARRANGE anything, since you single-handedly decided the rules. In fact, after Kalm said
Kalm said:
you said:

Verm said:
That is the exact definition of "rearranging things mid-game".

I'm fine with leaving things how they are now and letting everyone decide.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
You think all that matters is what games were won with Ganon. And I think all that matters is what sets were won with Ganon. I understand what you're saying perfectly, and I understand your reasoning, but I just disagree with it.
I don't understand how you can disagree with it. How does winning a set where only one game was won as Ganon count as a set won as Ganon? Look at it intensionally--how does it differ? If you won one game as Ganon, then you won one game as Ganon, not a set. For the Ganon award, we focus solely on Ganon. There is no arguing around that, I'm afraid.

I didn't rearrange anything. In fact, I didn't even get a chance to ARRANGE anything, since you single-handedly decided the rules. In fact, after Kalm said
DLA... I don't know how much longer I can keep up proving things and you just brushing them off like nothing. I pretty much irrefutably proved that you were waffling when your mandate that single matches shouldn't be counted interfered with your intention to nail split sets as full accomplishments.

you said:

That is the exact definition of "rearranging things mid-game".
You're shifting the focus to the wrong points and misdirecting everything I say. There is a difference between setting rules down and discussing them to a mutual agreement, and blatantly contradicting yourself, which you did many times. I wasn't the only one to notice it.

I'm fine with leaving things how they are now and letting everyone decide.
I am, too. I just hope people actually post.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Well we've gotten down to the bare bones of our arguments... I have responses to your last post but I've already posted every response at least once in this thread so I'll just let it go lol.

I promised myself I wouldn't start drama lol... I hate drama. Hopefully we're done arguing.

Maybe you should edit both of our "resumes" into the OP so it's easier to see them? Just a suggestion.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yeah, I agree. At this point, I almost just wanna drop the King of Evil garbage. It's not even worth it to me anymore. All it does is create animosity between people and turn into, as you said, which I unfortunately only just saw, a mudslinging fest.

In my opinion, my wins going all Ganon have the upper-hand, however, you've taken games off of a few more people than I have--that in and of itself is tough to prove as superior to another. It's just going to spiral. It's up to you if you want to continue. I personally don't, but if you want to, I guess we have to press on.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Lol well we already got most of the hard stuff out of the way. I'm curious to see what everyone has to say.

I'm personally done arguing about it, but I'm confident we can stay civil enough to come to a consensus. And if we can't, then we'll probably have no choice but to drop it anyways.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I think we can as well. The main problem though, is a lack of veteran Ganons on the board to direct the discussion. We only have so many people as it is, and probably less than half of who even comes here will participate in this, let alone be objective and not hop around the fence trying not to offend either of us.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Maybe we can send some PMs to old vets like Clai (who was here today), TP, Breezy, Fonz, etc.

TP

Smash Master
Alright you 3, here's what I think of each of you as players. Note that I'm not concerned about your accomplishments or records or amount you go Ganon. I'm just going by what I see when I watch you guys play Ganon, which ultimately is what the records are trying to objectify anyway.

DLA: I've played you a lot in person, and watched you play even more. I see your Ganon as similar to mine, just better in every way. Every now and then I'll see you do a move when I would have done a different move, and then I'll reconsider my own thought line and realize your way is better (usually). Your choke game is solid, your spacing is solid. Not much more to say.

Kalm: Man, it's been a long time since you and I were the two leaders of this board and constantly bickering at each other, hasn't it? Your ability to trap the opponent and put them in an awkward situation is something I've never been able to replicate, and it's really the thing that makes you so successful.

Verm: I've been trying so hard to get as good at powershielding as you. I can approach a Falco without getting hurt now, but I'm still nowhere near your level. Your incredible grasp of the fundamentals that apply to all characters really allows you to take advantage of the few things Ganon has to offer. Your choke game is also amazing, although I like to think mine matches it (I watch your videos and predict what the opponent will do a little more consistently than you do :p).

Overall, at this time, Verm is the best. And I hate to say it, but neither DLA nor Kalm is second. Have any of you played Atomsk's Ganon? It's absolutely incredible. If he bothered to learn the stuff that all four of us know, he'd be the best. As it stands, he's the best by far at handling neutral situations. He just doesn't handle the 100 obscure situations that we have a plan for as well as the rest of us.

TP out.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord

Wait, what? Who beat me exactly? I'm hoping Verm isn't saying he beat me and that he's quoting someone else that has, cuz I've never lost to Verm before (as my main, Snake). Unless you're referring to when I go Random...or if it is someone else, who? >.> (too lazy to skim thread)

Name search ftw.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
OH MY GOD EVERYONE STOP NAMESEARCHING LOL

Caps

@TP: Thanks for the post, man. Really appreciate it, big time.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Alright you 3, here's what I think of each of you as players. Note that I'm not concerned about your accomplishments or records or amount you go Ganon. I'm just going by what I see when I watch you guys play Ganon, which ultimately is what the records are trying to objectify anyway.

DLA: I've played you a lot in person, and watched you play even more. I see your Ganon as similar to mine, just better in every way. Every now and then I'll see you do a move when I would have done a different move, and then I'll reconsider my own thought line and realize your way is better (usually). Your choke game is solid, your spacing is solid. Not much more to say.

Kalm: Man, it's been a long time since you and I were the two leaders of this board and constantly bickering at each other, hasn't it? Your ability to trap the opponent and put them in an awkward situation is something I've never been able to replicate, and it's really the thing that makes you so successful.

Verm: I've been trying so hard to get as good at powershielding as you. I can approach a Falco without getting hurt now, but I'm still nowhere near your level. Your incredible grasp of the fundamentals that apply to all characters really allows you to take advantage of the few things Ganon has to offer. Your choke game is also amazing, although I like to think mine matches it (I watch your videos and predict what the opponent will do a little more consistently than you do :p).

Overall, at this time, Verm is the best. And I hate to say it, but neither DLA nor Kalm is second. Have any of you played Atomsk's Ganon? It's absolutely incredible. If he bothered to learn the stuff that all four of us know, he'd be the best. As it stands, he's the best by far at handling neutral situations. He just doesn't handle the 100 obscure situations that we have a plan for as well as the rest of us.

TP out.
Lol speak of the devil.

Thanks for the input. I haven't played or seen Atomsk's Ganon, but I've heard it's really good. Considering how good of a player he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he outplaced all of us if he went only Ganon lol.

Bizkit - I don't remember you being mentioned once in this thread lol. Which is odd considering how many players WERE mentioned in this thread.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Nvm I misunderstood what he typed apparently lulz.

By the way, just from skimming I wouldn't say winning a game with Ganon and then winning the other match with another character counts as a set win with Ganon. It counts as a set win with Ganon/character #2. Just like in results threads how you put character usages of characters that help players advance. If a Samus player wins game 1 as Samus and then goes MK game 2 to win, that counts as a Samus/MK usage. The player can't say "Yea I won the set with Samus".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom