• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy for SSB4 (A New Daisy for Smash Thread Opens See Pg. 197)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Why are you even arguing against Daisy in a SUPPORT thread where fans are free to talk within about how their fav. character could possibly get in the game? Unlike toxic communities such as Reddit....
They're allowed to question it and in turn we should provide good arguments.

I'd like Daisy but I'm not super optimistic about her chances. And truthfully Waluigi should be in at the same time, if not before, she is.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
They're allowed to question it and in turn we should provide good arguments.

I'd like Daisy but I'm not super optimistic about her chances. And truthfully Waluigi should be in at the same time, if not after, she is.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
The thing with Daisy, regardless if she's a popular character or not, is completely different than Peach in terms of personality, leaving her for a different moveset all together..

Sure Pit and his Dark counterpart aren't the same personality wise, but they are both technically the same person, and we have Sakurai to blame for making Dark Pit more of a clone than what he already was. Same goes for Lucina, minus the literal clone of Marth, as to where she is a descendant.

I could never really see Daisy doing things she's never really done before, and in terms of Mario games, all the characters in Smash's movesets derive from the games or their personality (sans Luigi's Side B, but it plays into his goofy, weird persona; Peach's booty bumps, which basically started in this game; and in a sense, both Mario and Luigi's Tornado move, which arguably inspired the spin move in Galaxy).

Of course, some characters like Captain Falcon and R.O.B.'s moveset are practically all made up (R.O.B.'s only known one being the down-b), but Daisy can take the obvious reference of her Flower abilities (while she was given hearts in Double Dash for some odd reason), and if Sakurai acknowledges some of the spin-offs that she's been in, the crystal ability would make her more fleshed out, however I feel like Sakurai ignores these for the most part. Luigi doesn't even have a Thunder Hand ability from SuperStar Saga...

Just because she's not so popular doesn't mean she can be excluded. Paper Mario, Waluigi, Toad, and Daisy are basically the only other characters from the Mario series that can be used, and Birdo to an extent, but she's definitely no where near these guys. Boss characters like Petey Piranha and King Boo are also pretty good contenders, but probably less favorable when it comes to those 4.

Overall, if Daisy were to be an official skin for Peach, I feel like we might as well have stuck with the palette swap, just because I can't personally see Daisy hiding behind a Toad (a servant who isn't even hers), pulling turnips (where she's only done that in a Mario Party minigame I'm sure), or using feminine slaps and booty bumps (mainly because of her personality). And oh man if I saw Daisy do Peach's Final Smash....*gags*

D

Deleted member

Bowser Jr and Rosalina have played bigger roles than Daisy in the Mario titles the majority of the notable content in Smash comes from. As have the Koopalings, especially in recent times. Plus, like Daisy, they all show up in spin-off titles as well.
Prior to Rosalina being planned for Smash (as in, before she was even part of 3D World, which isn't even given representation in Smash), this wasn't exactly the case.
Her only "major" role was in Galaxy.
Galaxy 2? Merely makes cameos.
Other roles? Unlockable kart racer in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7.

It wasn't until later in Smash's development that Rosalina would branch out more and become more prominent/important, by which time she was already part of Smash from a time she barely had a leg to stand on.
Just saying; it wasn't really prominence/importance that got her in in the first place. Those qualities came after the fact.

They have more in their favour, so them having larger roles makes sense. Why should her role equal any of theirs? Simply because she's part of the Mario "family"? That's the rather poor excuse imo. Might as well include Toadette and Birdo then too.
Wouldn't really count Birdo like I wouldn't count the other mooks by the dozen of Bowser's, but I forgot about Toadette. That does raise a bit of a hole in my logic, especially since Toadette has now branched into a co-starring role with Toad (well, Captain Toad specifically, but he's still a Toad) recently.

It's not your bias, it's fact. Waluigi generally gets about triple to quadruple the votes on polls that Daisy does, that's more than a slight difference. The only reason they seem close now is because fewer people vote for characters who are already ATs.

Plus the casuals love Waluigi.
That's talking in Smash terms.
If we're going by that, Geno was the MOST popular Mario character that wasn't yet in Smash in the Brawl days.
It's pretty much a given that while he may have been the biggest request for Brawl (for some unfathomable reason) among the Mario cast, he most certainly was not the most popular Mario character in general.
Waluigi may have the edge in Smash requests (though that I'm sure is because he was an Assist in Brawl, even if him being an Assist again is making his requests drop), but that doesn't necessarily mean Waluigi has a clear edge in overall popularity.

Birdo was in the Golf game last year, and she still has cameos here and there in the other spin-offs. My point was just if the argument is made on the basis of including the Mario "family" you can't really stop at Daisy, can you? I'm not saying those two have more in their favour than her.
And don't freak, I don't regularly stop by threads of characters I don't support, I just disagreed with something I saw. For the record I'm not against Daisy being an AT or an alt, I just think the arguments I responded to were faulty, which is why I responded to them.
....I wasn't even arguing that Daisy should be in on those grounds in the first place.
It was only the reasoning on why I personally would find her acceptable (albeit begrudgingly because Waluigi) instead of outright detestable (again, because Waluigi) should it actually happen.

For the matter of "should", I don't think there should be any Mario DLC characters. We've got enough as is.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to roll my eyes anytime someone uses personality as a reason for anything other than why a character might have popularity.

Yeah Daisy's personality is different, but when has a personality caused a character who would otherwise be relegated as a clone to become unique?

Fox and Falco have different personalities, Mario and Luigi have different personalities, Ness and Lucas have different personalities, Pit and Dark Pit have different personalities, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf have different personalities, even Link and Toon Link have different personalities.

Prior to Rosalina being planned for Smash (as in, before she was even part of 3D World, which isn't even given representation in Smash), this wasn't exactly the case.
Her only "major" role was in Galaxy.
Galaxy 2? Merely makes cameos.
Other roles? Unlockable kart racer in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7.

It wasn't until later in Smash's development that Rosalina would branch out more and become more prominent/important, by which time she was already part of Smash from a time she barely had a leg to stand on.
Just saying; it wasn't really prominence/importance that got her in in the first place.
No it was probably recency, which is another leg Daisy can't stand on. Sure she makes regular appearances, but none of them are major, which is still fewer than Rosalina's one.

Wouldn't really count Birdo like I wouldn't count the other mooks by the dozen of Bowser's, but I forgot about Toadette. That does raise a bit of a hole in my logic, especially since Toadette has now branched into a co-starring role with Toad (well, Captain Toad specifically, but he's still a Toad) recently.
I'd count Birdo. She shows up in spin-off games semi-frequently and is a unique character. She hasn't been a Bowser mook since... ever?

That's talking in Smash terms.
If we're going by that, Geno was the MOST popular Mario character that wasn't yet in Smash in the Brawl days.
It's pretty much a given that while he may have been the biggest request for Brawl (for some unfathomable reason) among the Mario cast, he most certainly was not the most popular Mario character in general.
Waluigi may have the edge in Smash requests (though that I'm sure is because he was an Assist in Brawl, even if him being an Assist again is making his requests drop), but that doesn't necessarily mean Waluigi has a clear edge in overall popularity.
Good thing this is Smash Bros then, where Smash terms is what matters.

Even on normal terms though Waluigi has the edge. Remember that magazine scan Sakurai posted of the 20 most popular characters on Nintendo platforms in Japan (the one everyone thought was Smash-related but wasn't)? Waluigi made the list, but Daisy didn't.

....I wasn't even arguing that Daisy should be in on those grounds in the first place.
It was only the reasoning on why I personally would find her acceptable (albeit begrudgingly because Waluigi) instead of outright detestable (again, because Waluigi) should it actually happen.

For the matter of "should", I don't think there should be any Mario DLC characters. We've got enough as is.
Oh well fair enough.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I just don't see why so much support exists for a character that only ever shows up when a Mario roster needs to be filled and would probably only ever amount to some sort of clone at most. Personality alone can't fix all that.

I think she'd be fine as an alt.
I think it's largely composed of people who find Peach quite bland.

:231:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I think it's largely composed of people who find Peach quite bland.

:231:
Its certainly helps with it haha. Peach has stayed roughly the same other the years, just is less stoic and more emotional nowadays. Plus, tomboys are more favorable, or at least I think so. Random question, why do you always have Phanpy after your posts?

I have a pretty good feeling I'll be seeing a big no-no for Daisy's ratings on the RTC thread from N3ON :p but opinions are opinions. It's all the matter of me not wanting to see THE Daisy performing all these when I could just choose Peach's Daisy colors and do that instead

definitely feeling some deja vu on this post. yikes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No it was probably recency, which is another leg Daisy can't stand on. Sure she makes regular appearances, but none of them are major, which is still fewer than Rosalina's one.
Rosalina's "one" was a couple months before Brawl's release. It wasn't "recent".
No, what really got Rosalina in was clearly the potential fighting style Sakurai saw in her with the puppeteer gimmick involving the Luma. Just like how Bowser Jr. didn't get in Brawl despite being "recent" with major appearances, yet got in Smash 4 with the whole "fight in the Clown Car" gimmick that NSMBW introduced.

I'd count Birdo. She shows up in spin-off games semi-frequently and is a unique character. She hasn't been a Bowser mook since... ever?
With the existence of several Birdo, I have my doubts on there being an actual specific one regardless of what Super Mario Wiki states.
Just like how several spin-offs have a playable Koopa, Shy Guy, Boo, etc. How are we supposed to know if it's a different one each game or the same one?

Except your point was within the Mario series.
That's because all of those ones are either more prominent, important, or popular within the series...
You can't move the goalpost of your point and argue about "Smash being what matters" when Smash is entirely irrelevant to the point being made.

Even on normal terms though Waluigi has the edge. Remember that magazine scan Sakurai posted of the 20 most popular characters on Nintendo platforms in Japan (the one everyone thought was Smash-related but wasn't)? Waluigi made the list, but Daisy didn't.
That's one example. But also note that nobody but Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, or Waluigi placed within the Top 20.
So unless you're going to argue that Waluigi is more popular than Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Wario, it's not exactly the best example.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
But personality actually counts for Daisy since she wouldn't use butt bumps at all because of it.

Dark Pit would still use his bow despite personality, Falco would still use Great Fox stuff despite personality, Lucas would still use PSI despite personality, Toon Link would still use the Master Sword despite personailty.

These weapons don't contradict their personality.

But Daisy wouldn't use Heart Magic, Rainbows or Butt Slams due to her personailty because one directly contradicts the other.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder what brought the debate train to town here.

I don't like to discuss wether character will be in or not on merit because we got Sheik, Dr Mario and Dark freakin' Pit as characters. We don't know Sakuri's inital selection process nor can we foresee how development pans out (hence DM & DP)

I prefer the "how would they work" discussion.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Oh my, a lot had happened since my trip to Dream Land.

GoldenYuu openly accepting Daisy even though Waluigi is still a part of him. Debates on why a Daisy alt for Peach would not work. Another Rosalina vs. Daisy relevance/prominence argument.

Eh, as long as I'm more alert to get this last week over with. Not like I'm already awakened because of a certain crazy Aussie's hugs.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, DK, Yoshi, Wario and Toad are givens.

Bowser Jr and Rosalina have played bigger roles than Daisy in the Mario titles the majority of the notable content in Smash comes from. As have the Koopalings, especially in recent times. Plus, like Daisy, they all show up in spin-off titles as well.

Waluigi is largely in the same position as Daisy, but a lot more popular so long as you're not on Tumblr.

They have more in their favour, so them having larger roles makes sense. Why should her role equal any of theirs? Simply because she's part of the Mario "family"? That's the rather poor excuse imo. Might as well include Toadette and Birdo then too.

It's not your bias, it's fact. Waluigi generally gets about triple to quadruple the votes on polls that Daisy does, that's more than a slight difference. The only reason they seem close now is because fewer people vote for characters who are already ATs.

Plus the casuals love Waluigi.
It's because of Daisy's tragic track record that she has the support she has as well as perceiving her as a unique character who we felt who have been wrongly used by Nintendo and basically sees it as not being fair (imo, anyway).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
With the existence of several Birdo, I have my doubts on there being an actual specific one regardless of what Super Mario Wiki states.
Just like how several spin-offs have a playable Koopa, Shy Guy, Boo, etc. How are we supposed to know if it's a different one each game or the same one?
Why do we think there are several Birdo? Because in Mario 2 (Or USA. Or Advance) where he premiered (he was a cross dresser at the time) they had different color Birdos appear at different levels? But that entire game was a dream or Wart, Mouser, Hothead, and Triclyde would have reappeared.

But Birdo, Shy Guys, the cacti, and Ninjis all have reappeared. Birdo being the only boss type, the alternate colors haven't reappeared ever, leaving the theory there is one Birdo. But let's say it's a species and there are different colors, then Birdo would be like her doubles partner from Tennis and Double Dash (because she's female by these games), Yoshi. Yes, there's a species and it comes in many colors, but we know there's one important one. Also important to note that if playable, the chances of Birdo being a Luigified Yoshi are really high.

...Also, I now want Triclyde as a Subspace Emmissary style boss fight. He was way cooler than Petey Pirahna, and I like Petey.

And Birdo was also in Captain Rainbow. Just some modern bonus points. And every mario rpg I can think of, even literally Mario RPG.

Anyway, Birdo is off topic, but there's rarely any Birdo conversations. On to the topic.

Does anyone see Daisy's final smash incorporating the ship and shooting boss fight against Tatanga, or is she just going to be pure sports?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Does anyone see Daisy's final smash incorporating the ship and shooting boss fight against Tatanga, or is she just going to be pure sports?
It really depends if Sakurai is actually willing to have more Super Mario Land content other than the Chai Kingdom remix. I can see the Superball being incorporated someway since it's the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about that game (as it also suits the sports theme of her character).

I wouldn't really oppose to the idea of using the ship fights from that game in Smash, but I don't see her as the type of girl who knows how to easily handle a flying heavily armed vehicle. But who knows, it does seem up Sakurai's alley of having over the top Final Smashes that are crazy, but suit the character in a way. Like who even expected the likes of King Dedede having a hammer that launches a bomb out if it as his new FS? :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why do we think there are several Birdo? Because in Mario 2 (Or USA. Or Advance) where he premiered (he was a cross dresser at the time) they had different color Birdos appear at different levels? But that entire game was a dream or Wart, Mouser, Hothead, and Triclyde would have reappeared.

But Birdo, Shy Guys, the cacti, and Ninjis all have reappeared. Birdo being the only boss type, the alternate colors haven't reappeared ever, leaving the theory there is one Birdo. But let's say it's a species and there are different colors, then Birdo would be like her doubles partner from Tennis and Double Dash (because she's female by these games), Yoshi. Yes, there's a species and it comes in many colors, but we know there's one important one. Also important to note that if playable, the chances of Birdo being a Luigified Yoshi are really high.

...Also, I now want Triclyde as a Subspace Emmissary style boss fight. He was way cooler than Petey Pirahna, and I like Petey.

And Birdo was also in Captain Rainbow. Just some modern bonus points. And every mario rpg I can think of, even literally Mario RPG.

Anyway, Birdo is off topic, but there's rarely any Birdo conversations. On to the topic.

Birdo is like Yoshi or Toad. It refers to both the character and the apparent species.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I know the perfect Daisy ability for Super Mario 3D World (and Smash kinda)

Potted Piranha Plants!

Daisy could summon these at will to go super sassy sayan through a level.
So essentially stealing one of Waluigi's trademarks? Way to rub more salt in the wound since those guys had to deal with enough already. :rolleyes:

Just kidding, it would make sense to see her use the full potential of her plants in a threading manner. That sounds like a pretty broken mechanic that would put Rosalina's Star Spin to shame. :troll:

Edit: How the hell are the spoilers not acting the way you want them to?

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Birdo was in the Golf game last year, and she still has cameos here and there in the other spin-offs. My point was just if the argument is made on the basis of including the Mario "family" you can't really stop at Daisy, can you? I'm not saying those two have more in their favour than her.

And don't freak, I don't regularly stop by threads of characters I don't support, I just disagreed with something I saw. For the record I'm not against Daisy being an AT or an alt, I just think the arguments I responded to were faulty, which is why I responded to them.
The point is unlike your typical everyday throwaway NPC character like the Honey Queen and Prince Peasely, who only appear in one or two games, reccuring playable characters such as Toadette and Daisy have been appearing in such frequency in multiple genres of spin-offs that it is inevitable that some people will have some emotional attachment to them. I dislike Birdo, but she arguably should have never been cut from Mario Kart after Wii. Same with Diddy Kong. How can you have DONKEY KONG without his trusty companion? (Baby Daisy returned though) Even Sakurai himself stated this when talking about the roster.

I can't think of any other playable character in any other non-sports series that is treated as poorly as these characters in the Mario series.

D

Deleted member

Because several Birdo exist?

I count 6 in this scene.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987

I was gone all day and all night (at Dream Land... just kidding), and a lot seems to have happened here.
Is this some alternate time form? I don't see much Yoshis
Actually, in the same game, multiple colors of Yoshi and multiple colors of Birdo are playable, so NO!

I have to roll my eyes anytime someone uses personality as a reason for anything other than why a character might have popularity.

Yeah Daisy's personality is different, but when has a personality caused a character who would otherwise be relegated as a clone to become unique?

Fox and Falco have different personalities, Mario and Luigi have different personalities, Ness and Lucas have different personalities, Pit and Dark Pit have different personalities, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf have different personalities, even Link and Toon Link have different personalities.

Oh well fair enough.
Urge. To kill you. Rising.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

But personality actually counts for Daisy since she wouldn't use butt bumps at all because of it.

Dark Pit would still use his bow despite personality, Falco would still use Great Fox stuff despite personality, Lucas would still use PSI despite personality, Toon Link would still use the Master Sword despite personailty.

These weapons don't contradict their personality.

But Daisy wouldn't use Heart Magic, Rainbows or Butt Slams due to her personailty because one directly contradicts the other.

And at the other side is senority.
Daisy might have not appeared in major stuff, but appearing in every Mario spin-off is major in and of itself.

But she missed the boat in others too.
Daisy at least has the fact she appears in all of them to make up for the appearances not being major.

Great thing indeed, because Daisy has been doing good in the ballot.

Good thing this is Smash Bros then, where Waluigi is an Assist Trophy.

Oh well fair enough.
Responses in Larry.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As for the personality argument.

For: Dark Pit was made a different character becasue Sakurai wasn't comfortable with him having the 3 Sacred treasures
Against: Falco uses a Landmaster despite hating the thing.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Urge. To kill you. Rising.
Now now, lets not go there, we wanna keep this thread open. Obviously its a joke, but still. It's clear that N3ON is not an adamant Daisy advocate like us supporters are. She's just sharing her arguments and while she might not like ours or think they're strong, we gotta respect each others opinion and not be barbaric about it.

Also, Lucas is not a Ness clone -_-. Ganondorf, Falco, and Luigi have all been changed enough throughout the years to be their own characters, with moves based on their former character they were "cloned" from. That's the only part I didn't really like about her statement.

As for the personality argument.

For: Dark Pit was made a different character becasue Sakurai wasn't comfortable with him having the 3 Sacred treasures
Against: Falco uses a Landmaster despite hating the thing.
Two words: Sakurai. Bias.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I wanted to share this because it is apparently getting a lot of attention.

The emo fringe makes me think that is the very reason Rosalina has gained traction. No backstory needed.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I wanted to share this because it is apparently getting a lot of attention.

The emo fringe makes me think that is the very reason Rosalina has gained traction. No backstory needed.
"ROSALINA HAS BACKSTORY AND IS ALWAYS SAD THATS PERSONALITY BEING SAD AND ECHO STUFF WITH SAD

DAISY IS ENERGETIC BUT NOT SAD I LIKE SAD KILL LUMAS BECAUSE ROSA IS TURNING TOO HAPPY MAKE HER SAD AGAIN. SAD!"

-Rosalina's popularity in a nutshell

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
"ROSALINA HAS BACKSTORY AND IS ALWAYS SAD THATS PERSONALITY BEING SAD AND ECHO STUFF WITH SAD

DAISY IS ENERGETIC BUT NOT SAD I LIKE SAD KILL LUMAS BECAUSE ROSA IS TURNING TOO HAPPY MAKE HER SAD AGAIN. SAD!"

-Rosalina's popularity in a nutshell
Not sad enough. Change her voice actor!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Peach's old up tilt and up aerial would seemingly fit Daisy's athletic-tomboy personality .

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Controversy eh? Then let me ignite that special patch of salt for my fries.

"Duh, but Nabbit appeared in plenty of spinoffs since his role in New Super Mario Bros. U and he deserves a slot in Smash. He was playable in New Super Luigi U and would provide a playstyle that the Mario Bros. never had before! Not to mention he has way more personality than Dayzee and Waaaaa combined!"

Said the biggest Nabbit fanboy ever, @thethirdkoopa. :troll:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

"Duh, but Nabbit appeared in plenty of spinoffs since his role in New Super Mario Bros. U and he deserves a slot in Smash. He was playable in New Super Luigi U and would provide a playstyle that the Mario Bros. never had before! Not to mention he has way more personality than Dayzee and Waaaaa combined!"

I support.

Nabbit could have a hit and run playstyle not in Smash yet.
Ultimate run speed, bad jumps.

I have the urge to make a moveset now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support.

Nabbit could have a hit and run playstyle not in Smash yet.
Ultimate run speed, bad jumps.

I have the urge to make a moveset now.
What @ Nintendotard Nintendotard said and make sure you plan on creating a Nabbit thread in the Predetermined Role Characters Group so that I can join the list. :awesome:

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

He's so popular, that he has his own mobile app before Nintendo started to make mobile apps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom