• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy for SSB4 (A New Daisy for Smash Thread Opens See Pg. 197)

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
I may have a theory as to why Daisy's costume isn't in SMM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the costumes originated from console games, right? Not to mention, all of the level designs are from console games as well.

Princess Daisy, on the other hand, originated from SML, which is a handheld. And to my knowledge, I've yet to see a costume that came from the Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced, Nintendo DS, etc.

And if Wario comes to mind, his costume is a Warioware variant, which debuted on a console (if I'm not mistaken). So, since Daisy originated on a Gameboy, she doesn't have a SMM costume. That's just MY theory on all of this.
Idk.. I just think that Nintendo simply does not like Daisy and do not want to use her.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Does anybody around here know how to send questions to Nintendo regarding characters?(I.E. Waluigi not being in MK7 for example.)

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Idk.. I just think that Nintendo simply does not like Daisy and do not want to use her.
Ouch...that could be a major issue...but at least they use her in spin-offs, though (just to fill space, I bet, and that's what the babies are for). But honestly, what is there not to like about Daisy? I just don't get it...she has a tough, headstrong, tomboy personality to her name, and is cut from a different cloth from your typical generic pink princess. If only Nintendo cared, she'd probably become one of the main characters, besides some blue, or yellow toad (as well as giving the haters more things to complain about, but FINE BY ME!).

Oh, and by the way, what YouTube channel do I search for to check out your new series? Because, you've earned another subscription!:)
Yeah... Doesn't have the same feel support a character if you don't like it for other reasons that bandwagoning an "obvious choice" (but even the most "obvious" character can fall, like Chrom). Supporting a character from the heart and mind feels a lot better.
Agreed! My support for Daisy is organic, as I've been a fan of her for quite some time. Daisy is pretty relatable to my normal life, as we both have suffered being neglected and omitted; me socially during some parts of my life, and Daisy by Nintendo and its fans. She also has that real world vibe to her as well.

So, this ballot, having her in Smash, having her in SMM, etc is just 'icing on the cake' to me, because, my love for Daisy goes way beyond mere support and chance.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I may have a theory as to why Daisy's costume isn't in SMM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the costumes originated from console games, right? Not to mention, all of the level designs are from console games as well.

Princess Daisy, on the other hand, originated from SML, which is a handheld. And to my knowledge, I've yet to see a costume that came from the Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced, Nintendo DS, etc.

And if Wario comes to mind, his costume is a Warioware variant, which debuted on a console (if I'm not mistaken). So, since Daisy originated on a Gameboy, she doesn't have a SMM costume. That's just MY theory on all of this.
Err...Ashley, Isabelle and even Lottie have costumes.

And the Mahjong tile, which was my first unlocked costume, came from Yakuman DS....which Daisy was also in!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And by the way, weren't you the one who sent an email to Ninendo regarding Daisy during the early months of the ballot? You even posted your response from them on this page as far as I can remember. Our friend @ Ark of Silence101 Ark of Silence101 wants to know the right category for the question he has for Nintendo.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to have a theory to explain the odd choice, it sadly doesn't hold up, as there are tons of references to handheld titles in Super Mario Maker.

1: The Kirby series originated on the Game Boy
2: Wario debuted on the Game Boy
3: The WarioWare series came from the Game Boy Advance
4: Almost all of the Game & Watch games bar the tabletops were portable devices (arguably, so were the tabletops)
5: Several of the Animal Crossing characters are specific to handheld installments
6: Pit's modern-day design is derived from his look in the Game Boy game Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
7: Pokemon debuted on the Game Boy and remains a primarily handheld series to this day
8: Dr. Lobe is from Big Brain Academy which debuted on the DS
9: Chibi-Robo's inclusion seems to be because of his upcoming 3DS game

And, I'm admittedly slightly iffy on this one, but I've also got it in my head that the Toon Link design has had more handheld iterations than home-console ones, too.

And the Mahjong tile, which was my first unlocked costume, came from Yakuman DS....which Daisy was also in!
I thought it was a reference to Mahjong, for the Famicom. You learn something new every day! :laugh:

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
And by the way, weren't you the one who sent an email to Ninendo regarding Daisy during the early months of the ballot? You even posted your response from them on this page as far as I can remember. Our friend @ Ark of Silence101 Ark of Silence101 wants to know the right category for the question he has for Nintendo.
Thanks. This is what I like about both this thread and fans, they try to help you in anyway possible, obviously not the fanboys and Michaellol XD, and I found a thread on GameFaqs(already deleted too) that said what is your reason for wanting Daisy in a main series game, many were positive opinions saying she has a lot of potential, but I came across one who said the only reason he wanted Daisy in a mainstream game was because he wanted to know how she and Luigi got together, I don't like, I HATE it when people label Daisy as just as Luigi's princess, and this is coming from a huge fan of this pairing, she is her own character with lots of untapped potential.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to have a theory to explain the odd choice, it sadly doesn't hold up, as there are tons of references to handheld titles in Super Mario Maker.

1: The Kirby series originated on the Game Boy
2: Wario debuted on the Game Boy
3: The WarioWare series came from the Game Boy Advance
4: Almost all of the Game & Watch games bar the tabletops were portable devices (arguably, so were the tabletops)
5: Several of the Animal Crossing characters are specific to handheld installments
6: Pit's modern-day design is derived from his look in the Game Boy game Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
7: Pokemon debuted on the Game Boy and remains a primarily handheld series to this day
8: Dr. Lobe is from Big Brain Academy which debuted on the DS
9: Chibi-Robo's inclusion seems to be because of his upcoming 3DS game

And, I'm admittedly slightly iffy on this one, but I've also got it in my head that the Toon Link design has had more handheld iterations than home-console ones, too.

Err...Ashley, Isabelle and even Lottie have costumes.

I thought it was a reference to Mahjong, for the Famicom. You learn something new every day! :laugh:
Do'h...!:facepalm: Oh, well...guess THAT theory's thrown out the window, then...and I guess it's official. @ StarCrystal20 StarCrystal20 is probably right, Nintendo really doesn't like Daisy and doesn't wanna use her. I just don't understand their bias, and never will. WHAT...is there to hate about Princess Daisy???

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
WHAT...is there to hate about Princess Daisy???
Imo... Although I agree that Nintendo does seem to have something with Daisy atm, this should go without saying that Daisy, and any other character, aren't perfect characters. Everyone has their preferences, and some people just don't care about a girl like Daisy base from her persona. It was said before Daisy relates to some of you all, but that's why you like her, but others may not relate to her like we do. So don't like "tomboyish" girls, so may like "girly" girls or whatever. But in the end, what matters is who does like Daisy, and anyone else that doesn't, it is what it is.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of months, why haven't we heard ANYTHING about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash?
I'm wondering if it was perhaps shown a little too early, and we've not heard anything for a while because it's having a lot of work done on it, with nothing else about it to announce to the public yet.

Does it have a confirmed release date? If so, I wouldn't be especially surprised if it missed it by a month or so, to be honest.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Furret24

Smash Master
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't really see how daisy would bring much to the table. I'm fine with more Mario reps, but I don't see how Daisy could be a more interesting choice over, say, Paper Mario (maybe Waluigi too). Choice you guys explain what she could do?

A-Town

Smash Rookie
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't really see how daisy would bring much to the table. I'm fine with more Mario reps, but I don't see how Daisy could be a more interesting choice over, say, Paper Mario (maybe Waluigi too). Choice you guys explain what she could do?
The first idea folks usually suggest is to have her pull a moveset from the sports series or her typical flower theme.

My own idea is to have her character based on elements from Super Mario Land. Maybe have her chuck a Super Ball, or even make use of a Super Carrot. Or maybe even call on help from her diverse cast of subjects (most of Land's enemies) like the Bombshell Koopa, BunBun, or even King Totomesu.

And of course, there's that neat-o Crystal trick she used in Strikers; an ability Daisy can truly call her own. It may not be much, but she certainly has something going for her...

Furret24

Smash Master
The first idea folks usually suggest is to have her pull a moveset from the sports series or her typical flower theme.

My own idea is to have her character based on elements from Super Mario Land. Maybe have her chuck a Super Ball, or even make use of a Super Carrot. Or maybe even call on help from her diverse cast of subjects (most of Land's enemies) like the Bombshell Koopa, BunBun, or even King Totomesu.

And of course, there's that neat-o Crystal trick she used in Strikers; an ability Daisy can truly call her own. It may not be much, but she certainly has something going for her...
What's the "crystal trick"?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What's the "crystal trick"?
He's referring to her ability to manipulate crystals in Mario Strikers Charged. Some of these would include creating a fist out of blue crystals for a Mega Strike or creating orange crystal spikes that erect from the ground through a punch.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
He's referring to her ability to manipulate crystals in Mario Strikers Charged. Some of these would include creating a fist out of blue crystals for a Mega Strike or creating orange crystal spikes that erect from the ground through a punch.
And I would LOVE to see that be her take on the Falcon Punch. Come on, she's got the right attitude, athleticism, and slight hot-blooded personality. It could work. Right?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I did a do a Duck Hunt clone moveset with the 8-Bit enemy idea as a joke several weeks ago. Now that I think of it, that concept would easily work as a great nod to her kingdom (with the enemies doing more than just projectiles of course). Of course, the Bombshells and Bunbuns being the more iconic enemies from the game would be the more common ones.

Furret24

Smash Master
And I would LOVE to see that be her take on the Falcon Punch. Come on, she's got the right attitude, athleticism, and slight hot-blooded personality. It could work. Right?
That would be move clone. Daisy's crystal technique has more potential than that, doesn't it?

This crystal thing sounds pretty interesting. What else can she do?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That would be move clone. Daisy's crystal technique has more potential than that, doesn't it?

Eeehhh....Good point. Actually, i was thinking about it, and I thought about that, and how she either use the same move, but it would be a variation of Abomasnow's Ice Punch, or she could punch the ground, stunning opponents, or sending them flying with MASSIVE knockback.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Just like in the original game, she can simply punch the ground to make massive crystals form on either direction. These crystals can spike nearby opponents into the air and momentarily protect her from any attack from either side. It was more of an offensive move in the original game, but it would have defensive properties to give it more use.

In case it doesn't need to be a ground exclusive special, it can be used in midair to execute a diving punch. It can simply knock nearby foes away and smash any unlucky individual into the ground (a la DK's Headbutt and Wii Fit Trainer's third combo hit) that'ss hit below. The crystal spikes would still be there since they are always triggered by any contact on the ground from her fist during this special.

By the way, I'll get ready to invite you to the Predetermined Role Group in case you haven't seen the Waluigi thread already.

Zeldaisy

Smash Apprentice

Heck, what wouldn't she do? :)

For starters, she could use her sports outfit, and use the spin-offs as her arsenal.

-Specials-

N Special could be her Crystal Smash, and I guess it would work like DK's down B, but hers would be smaller, and it would need some time to cool off to be used gain (around 3 - 6 seconds maybe), but would have good knockback (If sweetspoted, it could have Zelda's side air sweetspot kind of knockback) and the player could charge it for more power .

Down B is her counter move

Side B is her throwing something. ( Super ball would have the most knockback , Dice block from Mario Party would have more launching power and a tennis ball would be the fastest projectile)

Up B Is... uh... I completely forgot what it's called, but it's her special from that one tennis game. She launches diagonally upwards, a small trail of quick disappearing flowers behind her feet. It would deal standard damage if an opponent touches the Flowers beneath her feet.

-Air-
Her N air would be her shaking her pompoms up and down from Mario Sports Mix
Side air could be a slow elbow attack, having meteor smash effect at start and/or end of it.
Back air would be kick behind her
Down air would be a Volleyball spike - slow-ish move, great for meteor smashing.

Smash attacks-

Side Smash - Daisy would be winding up a punch, sort of like Little Mac's, then hits the opponent with good knockback and power.
Down Smash - She charges a punch, then when released, se will hit the ground and a crystal will pop out where her hand is, it has launching power and fairly powerful strength, but It will only hit in front of her.
Up Smash - she delivers a strong kick upwards with one foot.

Final Smash - Mega Strike or maybe something else involving the stems of a plant with thorns. (?)

Last edited:

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Imo... Although I agree that Nintendo does seem to have something with Daisy atm, this should go without saying that Daisy, and any other character, aren't perfect characters. Everyone has their preferences, and some people just don't care about a girl like Daisy base from her persona. It was said before Daisy relates to some of you all, but that's why you like her, but others may not relate to her like we do. So don't like "tomboyish" girls, so may like "girly" girls or whatever. But in the end, what matters is who does like Daisy, and anyone else that doesn't, it is what it is.
Don't get me wrong, but Daisy isn't my favorite just for being relatable. I'm a fan of her qualities of being a strong-willed character, and how she carries herself. Her attitude and character just clicks with me better than any other Mario character, and it's funny, too, because, out of all the mainstream and popular characters, Daisy, a side character, reacts with me the best. This must truly be humiliating for the other fan favorites, especially the Smash characters.

D

Deleted member

This is why I sometimes advocate for Daisy being a semi-clone of Peach. The argument being, less work would have gone into making the character, meaning less work taken away from potentially more unique characters, so that people won't be so upset about resources being taken away from someone more deserving (though that still happened with Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario, despite Sakurai explaining they were minimal effort desserts). If she slipped in this way, I think more people all around would be happier.

Furret24

Smash Master
Heck, what wouldn't she do? :)

For starters, she could use her sports outfit, and use the spin-offs as her arsenal.

-Specials-

N Special could be her Crystal Smash, and I guess it would work like DK's down B, but hers would be smaller, and it would need some time to cool off to be used gain (around 3 - 6 seconds maybe), but would have good knockback (If sweetspoted, it could have Zelda's side air sweetspot kind of knockback) and the player could charge it for more power .

Down B is her counter move

Side B is her throwing something. ( Super ball would have the most knockback , Dice block from Mario Party would have more launching power and a tennis ball would be the fastest projectile)

Up B Is... uh... I completely forgot what it's called, but it's her special from that one tennis game. She launches diagonally upwards, a small trail of quick disappearing flowers behind her feet. It would deal standard damage if an opponent touches the Flowers beneath her feet.

-Air-
Her N air would be her shaking her pompoms up and down from Mario Sports Mix
Side air could be a slow elbow attack, having meteor smash effect at start and/or end of it.
Back air would be kick behind her
Down air would be a Volleyball spike - slow-ish move, great for meteor smashing.

Smash attacks-

Side Smash - Daisy would be winding up a punch, sort of like Little Mac's, then hits the opponent with good knockback and power.
Down Smash - She charges a punch, then when released, se will hit the ground and a crystal will pop out where her hand is, it has launching power and fairly powerful strength, but It will only hit in front of her.
Up Smash - she delivers a strong kick upwards with one foot.

Final Smash - Mega Strike or maybe something else involving the stems of a plant with thorns. (?)
This moveset seems kinda uninspired.

Down special is a generic a counter (how would that work?), Side Special is a blend of WFT's Side Special and Peach's Side Smash, and Up Special is just Rosaluma's Up Special with a hitbox. Forward Air sounds like Ryu's Down Air, Back Air is a generic sex kick, Down Air sounds like Diddy's Down Air. You also forgot Up Air.

Side Smash is a generic punch like Wario and Little Mac's, Down Smash is verrrry similar to Mewtwo's, and Up Smash is also unoriginal.

I hope there are better movesets for her than this, because this makes her seem like she has little moveset potential and would not add much to the game.

Zeldaisy

Smash Apprentice

Down special is a generic a counter (how would that work?), Side Special is a blend of WFT's Side Special and Peach's Side Smash, and Up Special is just Rosaluma's Up Special with a hitbox. Forward Air sounds like Ryu's Down Air, Back Air is a generic sex kick, Down Air sounds like Diddy's Down Air. You also forgot Up Air.

Side Smash is a generic punch like Wario and Little Mac's, Down Smash is verrrry similar to Mewtwo's, and Up Smash is also unoriginal.

I hope there are better movesets for her than this, because this makes her seem like she has little moveset potential and would not add much to the game.
Not to sound rude or anything, but all is read is "that reminds me of this"

Of course they will remind you of a character already in the game, ( I mean these are basic things? as in of "If she charges a punch she looks like Little Mac/ Wario " kind of thing. How will a human wind up a punch, then? some way or another, they would share similarities in physics? I mean, Link and Marth both wield swords and swing them, so because a character does a movement similar to another's doesn't mean anything to be honest. It's the playstyle or the smoothness of a character that makes it unique, not the physical movement/similarities in them.)

Talking about Originality in the Smash Roster is ironic though

Furret24

Smash Master
Not to sound rude or anything, but all is read is "that reminds me of this"

Of course they will remind you of a character already in the game, ( I mean these are basic things? as in of "If she charges a punch she looks like Little Mac/ Wario " kind of thing. How will a human wind up a punch, then? some way or another, they would share similarities in physics? I mean, Link and Marth both wield swords and swing them, so because a character does a movement similar to another's doesn't mean anything to be honest. It's the playstyle or the smoothness of a character that makes it unique, not the physical movement/similarities in them.)
Talking about Originality in the Smash Roster is ironic though
I see your point here, and what you see is true. After all, Doc may share 90% of his moves with Mario, but he still plays much differently from him.

Why did you feel that Daisy needs a counter and Rosaluma's Up Special though? I'm sure she has more original options, right?

Could I see her Up Air too?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I see your point here, and what you see is true. After all, Doc may share 90% of his moves with Mario, but he still plays much differently from him.

Why did you feel that Daisy needs a counter and Rosaluma's Up Special though? I'm sure she has more original options, right?

I was thinking her Up Special would be the Flowebud Return from Mario Power Tennis, I know doesn't seem interesting or attractive like other moves but it is one of the few things Daisy can truly claim as her own, she could deal damage as she rises and leave a flower on the opponent if it hits with the sweet spot, which goes in line with her flower power.

Zeldaisy

Smash Apprentice

You could say RosaLuma took Daisy's potential Up Special (Nobody took anything, but I'm just saying Daisy had that similar upwards move before RosaLuma), since Daisy has that from a Tennis game before RosaLuma was in Smash. But another recovery could be her using a ChainChomp to drag her upwards, the ChainChomp dealing damage if an opponent gets in the way of its bite. It could also be used as a ledge grabbing tool similar to Link's Hookshot and Samus and her Plasma whip.

Her up air could be her opening her hand up above her head and releasing a small flower of some sort. Or maybe a headbutt upwards could work.

Last edited:

HanAmes

Smash Ace

I'm pretty sure if Nintendo / Sakurai decides to use her in Smash, she'd have a pretty unique moveset, given her polar opposite tomboy personality from a certain 'pink princess.' The way Sakurai comes up with movesets work in mysterious ways. For example, I had no idea that Zelda was gonna use Din's, Naru's, and Farore's, which originally are Link's tools of the trade. So in all honesty, Sakurai could whip up a recipe for Daisy that'll totally knock our socks off! Maybe even beyond the scope of OUR ideas.

Edit: Bowser Jr even has a clown car he rides in. Didn't see THAT one comin', either...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

She's a Flower Cheerleader in Mario Sports Mix.
We don't have a cheerleader in Smash yet, do we?

I'd like to put her sports equipment in one Neutral B called Flower Ball, where she kicks, throws, bats, slam dunks, hits a Flower Magic-enhanced ball in the direction of choice.

Then her other Specials and normals can be Flower Powers and Cheerleader-antics.

Side Special is Flowerbed Return (It's as much as an Up Special as Yoshi's Egg Roll)

Up B is Flower Glider, but it acts differently from Peach's in that Daisy can pull of all kinds of tricks with it, damaging opponents while doing so, but getting an higher fall speed too.

Down B could be the aforementioned Crystal Smash.

But Daisy's potential lies in the broad aspect of "Flowers", and how much you can do with them.
Waluigi is bound to his various Specials from the spin-offs, but Daisy can give her own spin at them because she's builded a general theme of flowers with them.

Furret24

Smash Master
She's a Flower Cheerleader in Mario Sports Mix.
We don't have a cheerleader in Smash yet, do we?

I'd like to put her sports equipment in one Neutral B called Flower Ball, where she kicks, throws, bats, slam dunks, hits a Flower Magic-enhanced ball in the direction of choice.

Then her other Specials and normals can be Flower Powers and Cheerleader-antics.

Side Special is Flowerbed Return (It's as much as an Up Special as Yoshi's Egg Roll)

Up B is Flower Glider, but it acts differently from Peach's in that Daisy can pull of all kinds of tricks with it, damaging opponents while doing so, but getting an higher fall speed too.

Down B could be the aforementioned Crystal Smash.

But Daisy's potential lies in the broad aspect of "Flowers", and how much you can do with them.
Waluigi is bound to his various Specials from the spin-offs, but Daisy can give her own spin at them because she's builded a general theme of flowers with them.
"First Cheerleader" doesn't have the same ring as "First Spear-wielder" or "First Robotic Dragon Thing". It sounds kind of...boring.

Then again, a virtual fitness trainer worked, so I guess Sakurai could take anything and make it unique (or a clone).

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I'm pretty sure if Nintendo / Sakurai decides to use her in Smash, she'd have a pretty unique moveset, given her polar opposite tomboy personality from a certain 'pink princess.' The way Sakurai comes up with movesets work in mysterious ways. For example, I had no idea that Zelda was gonna use Din's, Naru's, and Farore's, which originally are Link's tools of the trade. So in all honesty, Sakurai could whip up a recipe for Daisy that'll totally knock our socks off! Maybe even beyond the scope of OUR ideas.

Edit: Bowser Jr even has a clown car he rides in. Didn't see THAT one comin', either...
Maybe Daisy can use piranha plants! I'm still suprised by the lack of representation these little pests have.

Top Bottom