• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy for SSB4 (A New Daisy for Smash Thread Opens See Pg. 197)

Edward Rochester

Smash Apprentice
Voted!

Also, should we be starting our own... "movement" (for lack of a better term) to get Daisy in some Mario platformers? I feel that if we rally the fans like the ballot did, we could get more support for her in the main series. I know that after King K. Rool gets in Smash, his fanbase will rally to get him in DKCR3.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Voted!

Also, should we be starting our own... "movement" (for lack of a better term) to get Daisy in some Mario platformers? I feel that if we rally the fans like the ballot did, we could get more support for her in the main series. I know that after King K. Rool gets in Smash, his fanbase will rally to get him in DKCR3.
Well they added Rosalina to 3D World because she was more popular than Daisy. The team wanted another female character unlockable and for them, Daisy just wasn't main series material.

Edward Rochester

Smash Apprentice
Well they added Rosalina to 3D World because she was more popular than Daisy. The team wanted another female character unlockable and for them, Daisy just wasn't main series material.
Does it have to be just Rosalina, though? They can't add more characters like Daisy and Waluigi?

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Quoting from the Rosalina thread.

The thing about Daisy is that - and I don't mean this in an offensive way, only objectively - is that for all intents and purposes, she debuted as "Peach replacement" for legal reasons, and continued as "Player 2 Peach" since Gunpei Yokoi died. They couldn't add her to the main series because Gunpei didn't even want that in the first place, and when he died, it's not like Nintendo can just break his wishes when the man doesn't get a say in the matter due to being passed away.

Daisy...debuted as a literal replacement for Peach, her creator intended for her to be nothing more, and now he died so Nintendo puts her in spin-offs out of respect - but the guy also created Wario, whom he cared about much more. So Nintendo gave Wario his own games and everything, especially since the potential was there.
So @ ChikoLad ChikoLad , is this really true about how Gunpei Yokoi was literally not allowed to use Peach for legal reasons, and that he didn't want Daisy in main games?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Quoting from the Rosalina thread.

So @ ChikoLad ChikoLad , is this really true about how Gunpei Yokoi was literally not allowed to use Peach for legal reasons, and that he didn't want Daisy in main games?
More or less.

Looking into it a bit more, Yokoi actually left Nintendo after the Virtual Boy was finished. So I would assume that was when Daisy was pretty much denied any chance of being a main series character.

Furthermore, even if Yokoi stayed with Nintendo, Daisy still would never have gotten into the main series (I don't consider Super Mario Land main series - it's made by Nintendo R&D1, not Nintendo EAD). The reason being that Miyamoto was there. Rosalina was nearly not a thing because Miyamoto felt the Mario franchise only needed one main female character, being Peach (he mentions this in the Iwata Asks for Super Mario 3D World when they talk about why Rosalina was playable in that game). Rosalina was initially going to be a minor one level character in Galaxy, and was going to be Peach's sister at one point.

So basically, if that stuff happened to Rosalina in a more modern age, it would have happened to Daisy even worse back in the day, since Miyamoto had much more say on the Mario franchise than he does now (he's really just an advisor now, though he is taking on a more important role for Super Mario Maker since that's an anniversary game).

The TL;DR of it is that it's literally impossible for Daisy to become a main series character due to the fact 1) Miyamoto is borderline misogynistic, 2) She isn't created by members of EAD, 3) Nobody at EAD cares about her enough to get her into games, and 4) She has nothing terribly different to offer anyway, including her in the main series would be pure fanservice (Yoshiaki Koizumi's point in creating Rosalina during Galaxy's development was to test out a storytelling technique for the gaming industry that hadn't really been used at the time, and he wanted to convince Miyamoto it could work).

This isn't an anti-Daisy post or anything (I'm neutral on the character), but since I was put on the spot, I figured I should provide an objective post.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
More or less.

Looking into it a bit more, Yokoi actually left Nintendo after the Virtual Boy was finished. So I would assume that was when Daisy was pretty much denied any chance of being a main series character.

Furthermore, even if Yokoi stayed with Nintendo, Daisy still would never have gotten into the main series (I don't consider Super Mario Land main series - it's made by Nintendo R&D1, not Nintendo EAD). The reason being that Miyamoto was there. Rosalina was nearly not a thing because Miyamoto felt the Mario franchise only needed one main female character, being Peach (he mentions this in the Iwata Asks for Super Mario 3D World when they talk about why Rosalina was playable in that game). Rosalina was initially going to be a minor one level character in Galaxy, and was going to be Peach's sister at one point.

So basically, if that stuff happened to Rosalina in a more modern age, it would have happened to Daisy even worse back in the day, since Miyamoto had much more say on the Mario franchise than he does now (he's really just an advisor now, though he is taking on a more important role for Super Mario Maker since that's an anniversary game).

The TL;DR of it is that it's literally impossible for Daisy to become a main series character due to the fact 1) Miyamoto is borderline misogynistic, 2) She isn't created by members of EAD, 3) Nobody at EAD cares about her enough to get her into games
He might have been misogynistic back then, but times do change. To look at how this can be debunked, we have to look at another spin-off character, Toadette.

This character was made for the sole purpose of giving Toad a partner in Mario Kart Double Dash. She appears in even less spinoffs than Daisy does. She appeared in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door....as an NPC who is specifically told to not join Mario's party. She didn't have to appear in Captain Toad:Treasure Tracker at all, but she did, as a main playable character. Now people are rooting for her and Captain Toad to join the battle!

And about EAD not creating Daisy and not caring for her, sure, she might not have appeared in Super Mario 3D World, but to say EAD can't do anything about it?

This character was created because EAD Kyoto felt that Daisy needed a baby version. No, it wasn't needed at all. But Baby Daisy is here to stay, unlike Baby Wario and Baby DK, if the subsequent appearances in Mario Kart 8 and her trophy in Smash Wii U. Plus isn't she just adorable?

There is nothing stopping anyone at Nintendo from adding Daisy in a main game if she gets enough support.

Edward Rochester

Smash Apprentice
More or less.

The TL;DR of it is that it's literally impossible for Daisy to become a main series character due to the fact 1) Miyamoto is borderline misogynistic, 2) She isn't created by members of EAD, 3) Nobody at EAD cares about her enough to get her into games, and 4) She has nothing terribly different to offer anyway, including her in the main series would be pure fanservice (Yoshiaki Koizumi's point in creating Rosalina during Galaxy's development was to test out a storytelling technique for the gaming industry that hadn't really been used at the time, and he wanted to convince Miyamoto it could work).

This isn't an anti-Daisy post or anything (I'm neutral on the character), but since I was put on the spot, I figured I should provide an objective post.
Ooh, that sucks.

I do think you are being hyperbolic in saying it's "literally impossible" for her to get in, though. Toadette was introduced as a female companion to Toad in Double Dash, yet she was given a major role in Treasure Tracker. Granted, she was technically made by the EAD team, but Toadette was stuck n the same filler boat as other characters like Daisy and Waluigi. The point still stands, however, that they can turn spinoff filler like Toadette and Daisy into a character for the main games.

Also, the Super Mario Land series is canon as of now. Nintendo released an image of the history of the Mario series to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Mario series. Both games appear alongside other main titles like Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Sunshine.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario30th/sp/history/index.html

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Honestly, Nintendo's indifference to Super Mario Land is actually disheartening since it was one of the more enjoyable games on the Game Boy. But I guess that Wario Land gets the most love since it's an original adventure starring him instead of her and Mario (Though it always get the short end of the stick in Smash like Super Mario Land).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
He might have been misogynistic back then, but times do change. To look at how this can be debunked, we have to look at another spin-off character, Toadette.

This character was made for the sole purpose of giving Toad a partner in Mario Kart Double Dash. She appears in even less spinoffs than Daisy does. She appeared in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door....as an NPC who is specifically told to not join Mario's party. She didn't have to appear in Captain Toad:Treasure Tracker at all, but she did, as a main playable character. Now people are rooting for her and Captain Toad to join the battle!

And about EAD not creating Daisy and not caring for her, sure, she might not have appeared in Super Mario 3D World, but to say EAD can't do anything about it?

This character was created because EAD Kyoto felt that Daisy needed a baby version. No, it wasn't needed at all. But Baby Daisy is here to stay, unlike Baby Wario and Baby DK, if the subsequent appearances in Mario Kart 8 and her trophy in Smash Wii U. Plus isn't she just adorable?

There is nothing stopping anyone at Nintendo from adding Daisy in a main game if she gets enough support.
Ooh, that sucks.

I do think you are being hyperbolic in saying it's "literally impossible" for her to get in, though. Toadette was introduced as a female companion to Toad in Double Dash, yet she was given a major role in Treasure Tracker. Granted, she was technically made by the EAD team, but Toadette was stuck n the same filler boat as other characters like Daisy and Waluigi. The point still stands, however, that they can turn spinoff filler like Toadette and Daisy into a character for the main games.

Also, the Super Mario Land series is canon as of now. Nintendo released an image of the history of the Mario series to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Mario series. Both games appear alongside other main titles like Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Sunshine.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario30th/sp/history/index.html
-Toadette is sexless. It's been confirmed that Toads choose their gender, they are biologically asexual. So Toadette is a special case. Also Miyamoto basically had no involvement in Captain Toad as far as I'm aware. Also Toadette is based off a main series character that happens to be created by Miyamoto himself, similar to other Toad characters like Toadsworth.

-Baby Daisy is literally a model/texture edit of Baby Peach. Like I'm not even being hateful here, that is literally what she is, the face is pretty much identical. She was very easy to put into the game, and once again, Miyamoto doesn't really have any involvement in any spin-offs. Don't take her existence as a sign of popularity over Wario or DK, she's there because she's simply much easier to do (as Baby Wario and Baby DK are completely unique looking as far as baby characters go), and is also more marketable. Ironically, a lot of older fans don't like the Baby females.

-That list is not a list of what games are canon, it's simply a release date history of "Super Mario" platformers, and Super Mario Land games are included since they have the "Super Mario" brand name and the same gameplay base as other Super Mario games. They are still spin-offs with no relation to the main series from a lore standpoint, though, until Nintendo decides to integrate them into the main series Mario canon. And before it's mentioned, almost every other main series game has some sort of place in a timeline, and even some spin-offs do (Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi games, Mario VS Donkey Kong, etc). Super Mario Land games don't however, they are completed disconnected from the events of the main series. Heck, the very fact Mario and Daisy had an affair in that game should be enough to tell you that. Nintendo hasn't even really done anything to explain that - because it's non-canon. It doesn't need explaining because it never happens. Even if it was canon at some point, it's definitely been retconned now.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
-Toadette is sexless. It's been confirmed that Toads choose their gender, they are biologically asexual. So Toadette is a special case. Also Miyamoto basically had no involvement in Captain Toad as far as I'm aware. Also Toadette is based off a main series character that happens to be created by Miyamoto himself, similar to other Toad characters like Toadsworth.

-Baby Daisy is literally a model/texture edit of Baby Peach. Like I'm not even being hateful here, that is literally what she is, the face is pretty much identical. She was very easy to put into the game, and once again, Miyamoto doesn't really have any involvement in any spin-offs. Don't take her existence as a sign of popularity over Wario or DK, she's there because she's simply much easier to do (as Baby Wario and Baby DK are completely unique looking as far as baby characters go), and is also more marketable. Ironically, a lot of older fans don't like the Baby females.

-That list is not a list of what games are canon, it's simply a release date history of "Super Mario" platformers, and Super Mario Land games are included since they have the "Super Mario" brand name and the same gameplay base as other Super Mario games. They are still spin-offs with no relation to the main series from a lore standpoint, though, until Nintendo decides to integrate them into the main series Mario canon. And before it's mentioned, almost every other main series game has some sort of place in a timeline, and even some spin-offs do (Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi games, Mario VS Donkey Kong, etc). Super Mario Land games don't however, they are completed disconnected from the events of the main series. Heck, the very fact Mario and Daisy had an affair in that game should be enough to tell you that. Nintendo hasn't even really done anything to explain that - because it's non-canon. It doesn't need explaining because it never happens. Even if it was canon at some point, it's definitely been retconned now.
Well one can't stop from trying now can they? At the very least we want Nintendo to know how are we feeling with this, at least Daisy somewhat gets a little more recognition than other spin-offs characters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So some guy on Tumblr made something "interesting" as a way to burn Mariotehplumber for his hatred of Mario Rule 34. Can't tell if too funny or too cruel. :laugh:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72087628
Wouldn't say it's bad since there are literally images of Rosalina forcing him to have sex with her.

And having a 7'7" amazon goddess give you that kind of attention should never, ever be something you view as bad in the first place.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Wouldn't say it's bad since there are literally images of Rosalina forcing him to have sex with her.

And having a 7'7" amazon goddess give you that kind of attention should never, ever be something you view as bad in the first place.
Never understood why SOME fans just like because of her looks.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just got done watching both of Mariotehplumber's videos and I've got to say two things. This fool clearly doesn't know that ANY character can easily be a hentai character because of Rule 34 and scalping Amiibos for that reason makes you look like the biggest douche in history. Clearly this guy thinks he speaks for the Nintendo fanbase with his superior logic and knows what should be right for their future by removing "hentai characters" like Rosalina from our history. What a freaking joke! :rolleyes:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I can understand why.

I appreciate her for a lot more than just that though.

Also while I'm in my MK8 album, have some Daisy:

Understand you completely. I like Daisy far more than just because of her looks, one of the reasons is that I grew liking her and Luigi, hence why they are my favorite Mario Bros characters. What I hate are the fanboys(no fan base is perfect, this is coming from someone who has to deal with idiots like Michaellol) who keep bashing at us saying "Daisy is irrelevant and never will be!" Or "Daisy should just be forgotten, Rosalina is enough.". Don't hate Rosie nor anything like I said just the fanboys who pretty much give ANY fan base overall a bad name, and put caps on 'some' to let everyone know that I am only referring to those who just drool at a pretty girls' sight and don't take time to know the character properly.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Just got done watching both of Mariotehplumber's videos and I've got to say two things. This fool clearly doesn't know that ANY character can easily be a hentai character because of Rule 34 and scalping Amiibos for that reason makes you look like the biggest douche in history. Clearly this guy thinks he speaks for the Nintendo fanbase with his superior logic and knows what should be right for their future by removing "hentai characters" like Rosalina from our history. What a freaking joke! :rolleyes:
What a looney toon >_<.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And by the way, I've updated the title to reflect the entire situation just to give any supporters or newcomers a laugh. This guy can easily go down in history as that one guy who hates any female character for things that can't be controlled on the Internet. Even @GoldenYuiitusin would be shaking his head at this stupidity. :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You say that "even" as if I'm almost as bad.
Actually, I was saying this this type of stupidity would annoy you since you are one of the more logical users around here (Realistically smarter than this self proclaimed "smart" Nintendo fan that knows what's best for the fans). Thought if it was @Frostwraith on the other hand, things would be a bit different.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
D

Deleted member

Understand you completely. I like Daisy far more than just because of her looks, one of the reasons is that I grew liking her and Luigi, hence why they are my favorite Mario Bros characters. What I hate are the fanboys(no fan base is perfect, this is coming from someone who has to deal with idiots like Michaellol) who keep bashing at us saying "Daisy is irrelevant and never will be!" Or "Daisy should just be forgotten, Rosalina is enough.". Don't hate Rosie nor anything like I said just the fanboys who pretty much give ANY fan base overall a bad name, and put caps on 'some' to let everyone know that I am only referring to those who just drool at a pretty girls' sight and don't take time to know the character properly.
My Daisy story (ahem): I remember sometimes playing as Daisy in Mario Kart Double Dash, I think because she was just so dang energetic and cheerful! Er...loud. Plus I have a thing for brunettes. Years later, I picked up her up again in Mario Kart 8 and became more of an actual fan, enjoying her cheers and dialogue once more (and cuteness). Seeing other characters like Wario and Toad get their own games and of course Rosalina's successive appearances has only made me wish Daisy were more in the spotlight. She's a fun character with spunky sassy personality and that already makes her more interesting than half of female video game characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeldaisy

Smash Apprentice
So as I said I was going to do a daisy drawing and something about gay pride.... I didn't. Instead I ended up doing inkling girl and my OC sketches. Oh well, procrastinating is a strong trait in the family.

20150630_000701.jpg
20150630_000650.jpg

I'm really hoping I don't procrastinate and Forget about my flower Princess.

By the way, i have quite a few followers on miiverse who like my "Vote for Daisy "drawings there, I've actually been posting Vote for Daisy drawings before I ever joined this group, go check out my profile I guess? Username: Tsuruhime (le gasp! How unexpected?! )

And yes , I've tackled the Peach support before with Daisy drawings.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So as I said I was going to do a daisy drawing and something about gay pride.... I didn't. Instead I ended up doing inkling girl and my OC sketches. Oh well, procrastinating is a strong trait in the family.

View attachment 59262 View attachment 59263

I'm really hoping I don't procrastinate and Forget about my flower Princess.

By the way, i have quite a few followers on miiverse who like my "Vote for Daisy "drawings there, I've actually been posting Vote for Daisy drawings before I ever joined this group, go check out my profile I guess? Username: Tsuruhime (le gasp! How unexpected?! )

And yes , I've tackled the Peach support before with Daisy drawings.
I really need to get back to doing my drawing practice, been doing too many digital things lately.

Most of these are pretty nice and I can see why you have such a following. But I'd had to say if there's a favorite of mines, it would have to be this one.

So much tears in one scene, just like Mariotehplumber. :troll:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
w-woah that was pretty fast....
Should I be concerned?
There's a reason why a search function on Miiverse exists.

And no, you shouldn't be concerned. That's how other Smashboards users were able to find me.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
-

Except that Baby Wario....isn't very unique.

Look at the face, instead of incorporating Wario's moustache, we have Baby Mario's eyes. Only the nose and eye liner is unique. It's not like Baby Daisy is a texture swap either. There are more differences between her and Baby Peach than the Baby Mario Bros. in terms of looks and personality.

They even have completely different animations.

The simple fact that she was created by Nintendo EAD Kyoto (NSMB games) to be more marketable shows that Daisy is here to stay.

Also, Miyamoto stated that there is no canon in Mario games.

Top Bottom