• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
One of my main concerns that still stand tall with Daisy these days is why she isn't included in more games in the Super Mario series.

Would it really hurt so bad as to add her in some of the Mario RPGs or something? To be honest, I'm still shocked that she got in Super Mario Run.
That's the only thing that turns me away from Daisy--the lack of information regarding why Daisy doesn't appear very often. But like I said, maybe things are starting to change for her.
It seems like someone at Nintendo might be trying to sort of 'revive' Daisy these days. Super Mario Run had a remixed version of the Easton Kingdom theme, and one of the LINE stickers featured a Oh! Daisy/Birabuto Kingdom music in the background.
Not to mention Daisy received a light redesign. I'm not sure if it even applies now sense she has no such redesign in Mario Tennis Aces. But I'm not going to over-speculate here, just observing.
I'm glad to see some progress being made to her. It might be small, but at least it's something. When you think about it, in the past six or so years, Daisy's come a long way.
I'd say so far, some of these slow changes are actually good for her. Some tan Daisy fanservice was something no one expected and her being in a mobile game with Super Mario Land music was one of the most surprising thinsg with Daisy.

Thing is that Nintendo can hardly answer why they can't really use a character like her in more than spinoffs or an RPG appearance. It was clearly that she was created under Yokoi's direction before he died, thus making her a foster character that was "adopted" in the same vein that Waluigi was a creation of Camelot than any in-house characters. Nintendo never really hates Super Mario Land, but prefers the canon Mario titles really. They hardly took chances as far as having more characters than who we see in the main Smash roster (other than Dr. Mario since he's a spinoff version of Mario). Rosalina got lucky to be in Super Mario 3D World if only because of her popularity. That's why Miyamoto saw her as the exception over the others.

So I'd these slow improvements for Daisy are acceptable enough as far as her slowly getting recognized for more than the usual. It;'s only a matter of time, but we shouldn't expect a quick jump into the next 3D Mario game.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd say Super Mario Run is just fine for now. The Odyssey event should had helped boost sales and replay value from the people that still own it.

Plus, there's more characters they can easily add later down the line like Waluigi and more. I don't see Nintendo as the type of company to give up on the game like they did Miitomo.

And besides, it's easily Daisy's most notable game by far. Unless Mario Tennis Aces comes out soon.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Why didn’t they give Daisy her tan for Aces? That was such a missed opportunity. The tan helps her set further apart from Peach/Rosalina.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Why didn’t they give Daisy her tan for Aces? That was such a missed opportunity. The tan helps her set further apart from Peach/Rosalina.
I think the whole tan was only done for the LINE stickers as fanservice.

Even I had the feeling they wouldn't have that as return as her permanent design in Aces and future games.

Though I agree that would had been a nice way to differentiate her from Peach.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
I knew her LINE sticker tan wouldn't be in any games, but I don't really mind. I think her paler skin is fine, personally.
I remember when the sticker came out and people kept talking about her tan which I did not even notice lol

And this is unrelated, but I think Daisy's chances for Smash are low unless she appears in the next 3D game. I'm worried she won't be. Although I'm super happy she's in Run, I want to see her in another platformer like New Super Mario Bros. Switch or something.

I feel like even Daisy appearing in an extra Mario Odyssey DLC storyline could greatly boost her Smash chances/make her relevant. I saw a video theory on how Delfino Island could very possibly be added as a DLC story, so maybe Sarasaland could happen! Probably not. lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honest question, how does this thread get so popular? It's fixing to reach the 2K mark while the K. Rool and Ridley threads have yet to reach 1K.

Is it because this is more of a social thread for her than anything? The K. Rool and Ridley threads are strongly centered around a potential Smash appearance.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
Honest question, how does this thread get so popular? It's fixing to reach the 2K mark while the K. Rool and Ridley threads have yet to reach 1K.

Is it because this is more of a social thread for her than anything? The K. Rool and Ridley threads are strongly centered around a potential Smash appearance.
Haha no. We definitely talk about Daisy being in Smash more than socializing about other topics about her. We discuss movesets, her Smash outfit, her likeliness, etc. I guess the length comes from the fact that she's in so many Mario games and there's a lot to talk about. Plus the simple fact that Mario has a lot of characters, so the topic of who the next Mario representative comes up a lot (particularly from my anxious mouth).

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

I'd say it's definitely a social thread to some extent, but we still do have serious discussion about things like Daisy's moveset and so forth. As well as discussion about games that involve her as a whole. That and Daisy herself is controversial enough to draw a lot of attention, plus detractors.

Besides that, some things that could be talked about had been going in circles for a while, like what her appearance should be (dress or sports outfit) and what would suit her the best as far as moveset.

D

Deleted member

I'd say it's definitely a social thread to some extent, but we still do have serious discussion about things like Daisy's moveset and so forth. As well as discussion about games that involve her as a whole. That and Daisy herself is controversial enough to draw a lot of attention, plus detractors.

Besides that, some things that could be talked about had been going in circles for a while, like what her appearance should be (dress or sports outfit) and what would suit her the best as far as moveset.
Fair enough. But there's definitely a lot of discussion of Mario games where Daisy appears in as you noted.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How about a new topic just to get things back on track?

Now that this is a new Smash and whole new start, we need to decide on one thing. Her appearance. Sure there's the poll up there, but it's outdated really and not many would want to vote again. I would like to know your opinion on what outfits would work the best for Daisy as her default.

Should she wear her dress as a tribute to Super Mario Land? Should she wear her sports outfit from various Tennis games? Can the Strikers Outfit be used to fully represent her competitiveness? Or just have an original design that reflects all of them.

Feel free to state your thoughts.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Now that this is a new Smash and whole new start, we need to decide on one thing. Her appearance. Sure there's the poll up there, but it's outdated really and not many would want to vote again. I would like to know your opinion on what outfits would work the best for Daisy as her default.

Should she wear her dress as a tribute to Super Mario Land? Should she wear her sports outfit from various Tennis games? Can the Strikers Outfit be used to fully represent her competitiveness? Or just have an original design that reflects all of them.

I still stand by the default dress for obvious reasons and Super Mario Land nostalgia isn't one of them.

1) It is Daisy's most ironic appearance, many people will recognize her for her yellow and orange dress.

2) Don't you think it would look off for Daisy to wear an outfit that heavily contrasts Peach? That would be like wanting Luigi to wear his Strikers outfit to be different from Mario.

3) The dress is far more common than her other outfits. The sports outfit appeared in mostly Tennis games (with a slight redesign in Golf World Tour) and the Strikers costume only been in two games

4) I know every fan has their opinion on how Daisy should be dressed for a game like Smash, but I feel the dress would easily satisfy more people than the other outfits.

And besides, who wouldn't want to see flower patterns on Daisy's dress? Rosalina has her stars and Peach has those patterns on her's too.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Definitely her dress.
Not only because it's her most iconic outfit that's been used for her other Smash appearances as well, but because it'd be unique as well.
Daisy's energetic moveset would be quite boring in a standard shorts outfit, where she'd be similar to Zero Suit and Bayo.
With her dress, she could effectively show that she's an energetic and sportsy person even if she's wearing a regal dress, which would set her apart from Peach and Rosa alike, whereas her boring ass tennis outfit would make her a very boring character, even if it gives her the apparent holy grail of not being similar to Peach.
On top of that, a dress can be redesigned to fit Smash, her shorts definitely cannot.

NNID
Samyatang
On the topic of Daisy's appearance in Smash, I would love to see her wearing her usual dress. It could recieve a redesign like Peach and Rosalina's. I think it would be an awkward contrast to have her wearing something like the Strikers outfit when Peach and Rosalina are dressed formally. Besides, I would love the three to match.

On another subject--Is it that Daisy has a lot less supporters this time around because of her large amount of hate now?
I remember around Smash 4's time she had around 100 or so supporters iirc. It's kind of disheartening but I can understand why people wouldn't be so adamant about her inclusion now.

But honestly guys, I'm so grateful to have found this Daisy thread. I remember first finding out about it when Rosalina was included in Sm4sh and I was so upset at the time. But discovering all of you here and your positive attitudes made me feel a lot better.
So I believe so long as we don't give up and we stick together through thick and thin, I see us having a bright future. :)

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Haha, I remember the days of Brawl I used to be a Daisy hater, but now I support the good princess. I would love for her, Waluigi or Pauline to be playable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Haha, I remember the days of Brawl I used to be a Daisy hater, but now I support the good princess. I would love for her, Waluigi or Pauline to be playable.
What a way to go. Reminds me of how I was anti-Geno for a long time until I played Super Mario RPG again after all those years. Now I don't really hate Geno or hi support anymore.

Anyways, welcome to the club. Since you admit you want Daisy, you are now a part of the list.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was the same way, actually. Don't remember why, but I was.

What a way to go. Reminds me of how I was anti-Geno for a long time until I played Super Mario RPG again after all those years. Now I don't really hate Geno or hi support anymore.

Anyways, welcome to the club. Since you admit you want Daisy, you are now a part of the list.
I can't imagine you hating anyone tbh

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can't imagine you hating anyone tbh
It may come off as a shock, but I sure was baffled by the popularity of Geno. So much hype for a Mario character that is not only owned by Square, but haven't be used again in a long time. I was far more vocal on YouTube about this attitude.

Though recent times in post-Smash 4 DLC speculation made me have a change of heart. Because supporting him is no different from supporting characters like King K Rool or Takamaru.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention the guy got a Mii costume when Nintendo had Square on the line so we know he's known to those making it.

Geno, along with Ridley is one of those characters that I think is unlikley... which why a littl part of me is expecting them to be announced. Kinda like how the Villager was said to nto fit in Smash and BAM! 1st character in 4.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It may come off as a shock, but I sure was baffled by the popularity of Geno. So much hype for a Mario character that is not only owned by Square, but haven't be used again in a long time. I was far more vocal on YouTube about this attitude.

Though recent times in post-Smash 4 DLC speculation made me have a change of heart. Because supporting him is no different from supporting characters like King K Rool or Takamaru.
Geno's popularity confused me and still does, but I was/am happy about it. I just like to pretend that it makes sense

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Geno's popularity confused me and still does, but I was/am happy about it. I just like to pretend that it makes sense
The Brawl Speculation times were strange and frightening ones.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just finished this art of two characters I want in Smash

https://plantasteroid.deviantart.com/art/SMASH-5-735081148?ga_submit_new=10:1520822663
This answers my question of which outfit I'd prefer, though I would like the dress, too.

I also specifically want Impa in her Skyward Design since I like the dark skin, unique hairstyle, blue lipstick, etc. Though, I don't want her to the same extent that I want Daisy! haha
So you want Daisy to be THICCer? Nice. lol

Jokes aside, I can see why you would prefer her sports outfit since it begs for more mobility than the dress. With how slow Peach already is, it begs the question if Daisy should be more agile and fast depending on her clothing.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
So you want Daisy to be THICCer? Nice. lol

Jokes aside, I can see why you would prefer her sports outfit since it begs for more mobility than the dress. With how slow Peach already is, it begs the question if Daisy should be more agile and fast depending on her clothing.
Yeah, I think it would be a certainly more fitting look for her. They could probably make her run fast in a dress still, but I still prefer the sports outfit. Some say it looks less royal, but I think she still retains her elegant touch with the big jewels and a more fluffed up flower collar.

And haha I like to stylize Daisy by making her chubbier than she usually is. Not in a sexual way since I'm not into women lol, but because she looks quite fragile and skinny sometimes in the Mario sports games.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, I think it would be a certainly more fitting look for her. They could probably make her run fast in a dress still, but I still prefer the sports outfit. Some say it looks less royal, but I think she still retains her elegant touch with the big jewels and a more fluffed up flower collar.

And haha I like to stylize Daisy by making her chubbier than she usually is. Not in a sexual way since I'm not into women lol, but because she looks quite fragile and skinny sometimes in the Mario sports games.
True, that is a nice looking design you have for her. It's the sports outfit, but with a royal touch. I can say it's more unique compared to most Daisy designs I've seen on DeviantArt.

I see. Been a long time since I seen your works. Weren't you the same person that also had a darker Daisy design once? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just finished this art of two characters I want in Smash

https://plantasteroid.deviantart.com/art/SMASH-5-735081148?ga_submit_new=10:1520822663
This answers my question of which outfit I'd prefer, though I would like the dress, too.

I also specifically want Impa in her Skyward Design since I like the dark skin, unique hairstyle, blue lipstick, etc. Though, I don't want her to the same extent that I want Daisy! haha
This is a really nice style you have going.

Though the costume is something nicer. I wouldn't mind that as her default design since it can still be sporty, while having elements of her royal status.

As far as how Daisy would mechanically feel, she should definitely be more agile and faster than Peach. It's a matter of finding that design and playstyle to fit it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Still stand her best hope is being an alt costume. Sorry.
I think she'll get her own slot, like Dark Pit and Lucina.
The only alts in the game are on what's essentially Clown Car, the character and "man throwing Pikmin" and even the latter almost got his own slot.

I can't see an alt costume happening, a direct clone with a different trajectory on Peach Bomber or whatever sounds more likely.
One difference in moveset or cosmetics and she's her own character, which makes an alt super unlikely.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
True, that is a nice looking design you have for her. It's the sports outfit, but with a royal touch. I can say it's more unique compared to most Daisy designs I've seen on DeviantArt.

I see. Been a long time since I seen your works. Weren't you the same person that also had a darker Daisy design once? Or am I thinking of someone else.
I think it might've been me or someone else, I forgot which picture in particular it was.

I think she'll get her own slot, like Dark Pit and Lucina.
The only alts in the game are on what's essentially Clown Car, the character and "man throwing Pikmin" and even the latter almost got his own slot.

I can't see an alt costume happening, a direct clone with a different trajectory on Peach Bomber or whatever sounds more likely.
One difference in moveset or cosmetics and she's her own character, which makes an alt super unlikely.
I agree. I feel like if they were going to make her an alt they would have done it in SSB4. The way I see it, the dev team definitely sees her as different from Peach, but not important enough to be playable. Especially with the description of her trophy comparing her to Peach.

Plus it would be kinda strange if Dr. Mario had his own slot while Daisy was stuck inside Peach's costumes. I mean that didn't stop Alph but he was only in Pikmin 3 with the same leading abilities as Olimar as opposed to Daisy appearing in 60+ spin off games with usually different descriptions from Peach.

Fun fact: When Smash 4 was soon to release I really wanted her to be an alt for Peach because I was fascinated by the concept of them which was new. Being able to play as a costume that is another character sounded cool, and that was how I actually got into Daisy as a character. Weird lol. In like 2013. Now, I just want a unique, sporty Daisy!!

Also, am I the only one who thinks Daisy is also deserving of Smash for being the second most reoccurring female in gaming ever? Even non-gamers can recall that there was a yellow princess in Mario or a brunette. Being in a main game is very important for inclusion, but I think she could still get in for being iconic and the most reoccurring spin off character.

Last edited:

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Let's go! I want Daisy in Smash so badly, so my family could play as a team of Peach, Rosalina and Daisy against other trios in 3 vs 3 team matches!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Let's go! I want Daisy in Smash so badly, so my family could play as a team of Peach, Rosalina and Daisy against other trios in 3 vs 3 team matches!
Nice, this is actually something I would like to see.

The only thing missing is her voice, which I why I'm not feeling the watered down Daisy colors Peach has.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's kind of my dream as well. It would be nice to see all three there.

Signed you up as a new member.

Still stand her best hope is being an alt costume. Sorry.

That's understandable. Even I would be fine with an alt when it does happen. It would be something at least. Better than an Assist Trophy IMO.

Now go, your Waluigi people needs you. Waaaaaaaaah!

I agree. I feel like if they were going to make her an alt they would have done it in SSB4. The way I see it, the dev team definitely sees her as different from Peach, but not important enough to be playable. Especially with the description of her trophy comparing her to Peach.

Plus it would be kinda strange if Dr. Mario had his own slot while Daisy was stuck inside Peach's costumes. I mean that didn't stop Alph but he was only in Pikmin 3 with the same leading abilities as Olimar as opposed to Daisy appearing in 60+ spin off games with usually different descriptions from Peach.

Fun fact: When Smash 4 was soon to release I really wanted her to be an alt for Peach because I was fascinated by the concept of them which was new. Being able to play as a costume that is another character sounded cool, and that was how I actually got into Daisy as a character. Weird lol. In like 2013. Now, I just want a unique, sporty Daisy!!

Also, am I the only one who thinks Daisy is also deserving of Smash for being the second most reoccurring female in gaming ever? Even non-gamers can recall that there was a yellow princess in Mario or a brunette. Being in a main game is very important for inclusion, but I think she could still get in for being iconic and the most reoccurring spin off character.

Whoah there, I wouldn't go as far as calling her the second most reoccurring female in gaming. Characters like Samus and Zelda has her beat.

Unless you mean as far as Mario characters. if that's at the case, I apologize for jumping the gun. She definitely has the edge for having that casual appeal. Games like Mario Kart and such are very popular with casuals. And yeah, I am not going to ignore that Mario Kart can be played competitively.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
That's kind of my dream as well. It would be nice to see all three there.

Signed you up as a new member.

That's understandable. Even I would be fine with an alt when it does happen. It would be something at least. Better than an Assist Trophy IMO.

Now go, your Waluigi people needs you. Waaaaaaaaah!

Whoah there, I wouldn't go as far as calling her the second most reoccurring female in gaming. Characters like Samus and Zelda has her beat.

Unless you mean as far as Mario characters. if that's at the case, I apologize for jumping the gun. She definitely has the edge for having that casual appeal. Games like Mario Kart and such are very popular with casuals. And yeah, I am not going to ignore that Mario Kart can be played competitively.
Daisy appears in 70 games, so I actually think she beats out those two, perhaps even Dixie Kong

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Daisy appears in 70 games, so I actually think she beats out those two, perhaps even Dixie Kong
Which a fast majority of them are pretty much Mario spinoffs.

That's both a good thing because Nintendo can churn out as many of them as they want and bad because they wouldn't have the same quality as the average Zelda or Metroid game (spinoffs included).

For example, a game like Mario Kart 8 is easily superior with Metroid Prime Federation Force while at the same time Mario Tennis Ultra Smash can be just as weak as it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Alt costume "at best" is not a real thing y'all
ONE (1) change in moveset or cosmetics gives a character their own slot.

Y'all are that dense that you cannot find a single reason to change Peach's moveset for Daisy?

Morbi

Scavenger
Alt costume "at best" is not a real thing y'all
ONE (1) change in moveset or cosmetics gives a character their own slot.

Y'all are that dense that you cannot find a single reason to change Peach's moveset for Daisy?
To be fair, while there are plenty of reasons, that is not really the question. The question is whether or not they would legitimately do it. And that is where most people's doubt sets in. Do not get me wrong, if there is extra development time and Sakurai is actively searching for a character to become a clone, I guess Daisy is a candidate. That being said, why would I even want that over just an alternative costume in the first place? It would not make that big of a difference unless the visuals are heavily overhauled. Which would definitely be cool.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To be fair, while there are plenty of reasons, that is not really the question. The question is whether or not they would legitimately do it. And that is where most people's doubt sets in. Do not get me wrong, if there is extra development time and Sakurai is actively searching for a character to become a clone, I guess Daisy is a candidate. That being said, why would I even want that over just an alternative costume in the first place? It would not make that big of a difference unless the visuals are heavily overhauled. Which would definitely be cool.
Why would they not do it?
They had no reason to do it with Lucina, they had VERY little reason to do it with Dark Pit and yet they did it and the development time spent on it is negilible.

Heck, they wanted to do it with Alph too.

Sakurai is not the type to make a character an alt of a character whose personality is not only radically different from its to-be alt, but whose personality is also interwoven in her entire moveset.

Heck, he changed Lucina's SHIELD BREAKER ANIMATION to properly represent her character.
So when people say that Sakurai would gloss over the fact Peach's entire moveset directly contradicts Daisy's character, including TWO SPECIALS that Daisy has NEVER used, it just pisses me off

Again, the ONLY character that didn't make the clone cut aside from seven flippin Koopalings was Alph, who was tried to be made an alt and even then Olimar's moveset never contradicts his personality in such a baffling way as Daisy using Peach's entire scope of animations would be.

Top Bottom