• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

Morbi

Scavenger
Why would they not do it?
They had no reason to do it with Lucina, they had VERY little reason to do it with Dark Pit and yet they did it and the development time spent on it is negilible.

Heck, they wanted to do it with Alph too.

Sakurai is not the type to make a character an alt of a character whose personality is not only radically different from its to-be alt, but whose personality is also interwoven in her entire moveset.

Heck, he changed Lucina's SHIELD BREAKER ANIMATION to properly represent her character.
So when people say that Sakurai would gloss over the fact Peach's entire moveset directly contradicts Daisy's character, including TWO SPECIALS that Daisy has NEVER used, it just pisses me off

Again, the ONLY character that didn't make the clone cut aside from seven flippin Koopalings was Alph, who was tried to be made an alt and even then Olimar's moveset never contradicts his personality in such a baffling way as Daisy using Peach's entire scope of animations would be.
In general, if they were going to do it, they probably already would have is my logic.

Exactly, they wanted to for Alph and yet, here we are.

Eh, the sports items, golf and tennis do remind me of Daisy. Beyond that, generic slaps and booty bounces still sort of fit as far as I am concerned.

Pichu never returned either. It would have been easy enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair, Pichu did have exclusive animations due to it's different body size and shape.

Plus, and this is my speculation built on nothing, but I don't think TPC is thrilled about their gen 2 mascot being the "joke" character of the game. After all, Pichu was the only melee vet besides Y. Link (who became Toon Link) to not even be considered for Brawl.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
Daisy appears in 70 games, so I actually think she beats out those two, perhaps even Dixie Kong
lol yeah! This is what I meant, spin offs, included, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan . I definitely meant more than Zelda or Samus or any female besides Peach. This was because I was pointing out that she is simply recognizable- appearing the most out of any female character besides Peach, spin off game or not. I wasn't saying she's more important than them though. Cause she is clearly a minor character lol.

Though I kind of agree that Peach's moves look fine when Daisy does them, aside from the heart effects. They walk, run, and jump pretty similarly in Mario Party. Hypothetically, all you need is flower effects and yellow ribbons where there are pink ones. And of course changing the Final Smash somehow which I think a lot of people forget.

But seeing how Daisy is different in her own right, I'd much much rather she have her own slot. Plus, they probably would have done it already as people said here.

Also a point that a friend brought up- 2019 is Daisy and the Gameboy's 30th Anniversary. Mario Land was a launch title. Seeing how Smash is coming out in 2018, just a year before that, I think it would be awesome for her to be in Smash in celebration of that. The recent spotlight such as Mario Run combined with this sudden realization makes me excited, but I will still not get my hopes up. I don't want to disappoint myself

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Also a point that a friend brought up- 2019 is Daisy and the Gameboy's 30th Anniversary. Mario Land was a launch title. Seeing how Smash is coming out in 2018, just a year before that, I think it would be awesome for her to be in Smash in celebration of that. The recent spotlight such as Mario Run combined with this sudden realization makes me excited, but I will still not get my hopes up. I don't want to disappoint myself
Yeah, I am NOT getting my hopes up for that all. Something like her being in Smash just for Super Mario Land's anniversary would be a rather spotty reason to have her included.

From Nintendo themselves, I will expect something simple like a a shoutout on the NOA page at best. Or if we are lucky enough, a 3DS remake of Super Mario Land. Now that last one is unrealistic, but more likely than her being in Smash.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I'd say Super Mario Run is just fine for now. The Odyssey event should had helped boost sales and replay value from the people that still own it.

Plus, there's more characters they can easily add later down the line like Waluigi and more. I don't see Nintendo as the type of company to give up on the game like they did Miitomo.

And besides, it's easily Daisy's most notable game by far. Unless Mario Tennis Aces comes out soon.
Hope she has a role in story mode.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
In general, if they were going to do it, they probably already would have is my logic.

Eh, the sports items, golf and tennis do remind me of Daisy. Beyond that, generic slaps and booty bounces still sort of fit as far as I am concerned.

Well an alternate costume has to share every single animation with the default character. One small change...and it would justify a separate slot.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I agree. The only thing I dont think thinks with Peach, is the floating. And we don't really have a reason to think that Daisy couldn't float.

I'd like an actual reskin of Peach for Daisy, but I still don't think she brings enough to the table. She could, sure, but the real question is, SHOULD she? Most characters from one similar world have a way of balancing each other out. There is a reason Ness and Lucas fight similarly, and that the Star Fox team also does (or rather, that their movesets have SO MUCH in common, rather than playing similarly). It feels off to make Daisy a character and make her so different... just to make her different.

Well an alternate costume has to share every single animation with the default character. One small change...and it would justify a separate slot.
There really isnt a reason that this has to be true, just that it has been true in the past. If it doesnt affect gameplay, there is no reason that the animation cannot be different.
Sure, you could argue someone is visually jarred by a heart being made a daisy instead. I just think that is subjective and would work both ways.

Also, does it matter if one costume is more competitively viable than another? If nothing else from Smash is made with competitive gameplay in mind, why should we be limited in our costumes for this reason? That is literally the worst of all worlds.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I agree. The only thing I dont think thinks with Peach, is the floating. And we don't really have a reason to think that Daisy couldn't float.

I'd like an actual reskin of Peach for Daisy, but I still don't think she brings enough to the table. She could, sure, but the real question is, SHOULD she? Most characters from one similar world have a way of balancing each other out. There is a reason Ness and Lucas fight similarly, and that the Star Fox team also does (or rather, that their movesets have SO MUCH in common, rather than playing similarly). It feels off to make Daisy a character and make her so different... just to make her different.

There really isnt a reason that this has to be true, just that it has been true in the past. If it doesnt affect gameplay, there is no reason that the animation cannot be different.
Sure, you could argue someone is visually jarred by a heart being made a daisy instead. I just think that is subjective and would work both ways.

Also, does it matter if one costume is more competitively viable than another? If nothing else from Smash is made with competitive gameplay in mind, why should we be limited in our costumes for this reason? That is literally the worst of all worlds.
I'm not saying she should be unique, I'm saying there's no reason not to give her her own slot, especially since neither Dark Pit and Lucina had any reason to not be alt costumes.

Dark Pit's moves could've been the exact same as Pit's. He can use the weaponry Pit uses and has shown to be able to.
There's no reason for Lucina not to have the tipper and there's no reason for her to use a different animation for her Shield Breaker.

For these characters, it would not have changed their portrayal, personality and would not violate canon if they were an alt.

For Daisy, not only are two special moves never used by Daisy, which are Toad and Turnips, also Peach Parasol, Peach Bomber and Peach Blossom are literally named after Peach.

And even if you think Daisy can easily use this out of creative liberty, again even though changing the textures and properties of that move is really easy, things like walking animations are tailored for Peach.
Sakurai is big on representing personality so it would be amazingly dumb for Sakurai to gloss over the fact Peach's girly princess persona does not fit Daisy at all, who is referred to as tomboy in most of her appearances, plus also glossing over the fact that all of Peach's specials are either named after her or never used by Daisy.

Tl;dr I'm talking Dark Pit situation rn, only the moves Daisy doesn't use in her games that are in Peach's moveset and her animations can be changed to declone her.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Me too! I honestly don't know why she is so hated among the Smash community. Is it because of a few fans?

Anyways, I imagine that Daisy might be the second female character to throw a holding punch (when you keep on holding the A button after a combo), and she could have a down air that kicks the opponent straight down instead of knocking them back gracefully like Rosalina.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the Daisy hate comes from having a vocal fanbase for a character who's status in any other series wouldn't even qualify her for the time of day, let alone Smash representation.

But there are few if any series like Super Mario Bros.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I think the Daisy hate comes from having a vocal fanbase for a character who's status in any other series wouldn't even qualify her for the time of day, let alone Smash representation.
She is actually one of the few Mario characters out of many to get her own amiibo, along with Waluigi, Toad and iconic Mario enemies. Also, she has branched out to a lot of games recently and started to receive some form of merchandising too. I don't think she is irrelevant to Mario at all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
She is actually one of the few Mario characters out of many to get her own amiibo, along with Waluigi, Toad and iconic Mario enemies. Also, she has branched out to a lot of games recently and started to receive some form of merchandising too. I don't think she is irrelevant to Mario at all.
Daisy is significant to Mario but that' not my point. My point is that Daisy's equivalent in a non-Mario series wouldn't be considered for Smash (or an amiibo).

Closest equivalent I can think of is Marin from Link's Awakening.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Daisy is significant to Mario but that' not my point. My point is that Daisy's equivalent in a non-Mario series wouldn't be considered for Smash (or an amiibo).

Closest equivalent I can think of is Marin from Link's Awakening.
Daisy appears extremely frequently compared to Marin from Link's Awakening. In fact, I don't even think Daisy has a non-Mario series equivalent in terms of appearances. Maybe Lottie from Animal Crossing is close.

Last edited:

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
Uhm... guys? Do people still think Daisy would work with Peach's moveset?
First of all Peach has showed abilities that doesn't fit with Daisy's character: Parasol, Toad, Vegetable, Pan, hearts, rainbows and more notably her final Smash. Most of the moves like Peach bomber are named after Peach, others have some elegant princess like animation which fits Peach really well but not with Daisy.
Nintendo usually says Daisy is "a tomboy unlike the common princesses", "not what you are expecting from a princess", "different than Peach especially when *insert random things there*" so why should Sakurai overlook all of this and make her a clone? Doesn't make sense to me. Not only this but the Smash team has proved many times how creative they are, they made movesets for characters with barely any potential at all, Daisy has 70 appearances so far there is no way she has not anything to offer.

Sorry if this pooped out from nowhere but I wanted to point it out.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The way I see it, Daisy and Waluigi are competing for who will be the Mario side-story spin-off character rep. Personally, I feel Waluigi deserves that title more as he hasn't haf a single mainstream appearance where Daisy had a single one. Not to mention hw was made up entirely for the spin-offs.

One thing the spin-offs have done has set apart Daisy from Peach and given her unique abilites. Where Peach has Heart Magic, Daisy has Flower Power. Chlorokinesis I believe is what they call it? Could be wrong though. Anyways, she brings the abilities associated with flowers plus has displayed the ability to control and manipulate crystals before. Where Peach can have the gimmicky tools to fight and Rosie has the Luma and wand, Daisy can actually be the physical fighter of the three, with a faster fall since she can't float to keep her grounded which alone would make her more unique and different to play than the other two. As much as I'd like her classic dress, I feel her sports outfit would be the best suited for her in this type of appearance if I'm being hoenst. It reeks of tomboy-ish nature and the need to get physical which is exactly up her alley.

So yeah, as much as she may be my least favorite out of the three Mario gals, I feel she'd still be a nice inclusion and can be something other than a Peach clone.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The way I see it, Daisy and Waluigi are competing for who will be the Mario side-story spin-off character rep. Personally, I feel Waluigi deserves that title more as he hasn't haf a single mainstream appearance where Daisy had a single one. Not to mention hw was made up entirely for the spin-offs.

One thing the spin-offs have done has set apart Daisy from Peach and given her unique abilites. Where Peach has Heart Magic, Daisy has Flower Power. Chlorokinesis I believe is what they call it? Could be wrong though. Anyways, she brings the abilities associated with flowers plus has displayed the ability to control and manipulate crystals before. Where Peach can have the gimmicky tools to fight and Rosie has the Luma and wand, Daisy can actually be the physical fighter of the three, with a faster fall since she can't float to keep her grounded which alone would make her more unique and different to play than the other two. As much as I'd like her classic dress, I feel her sports outfit would be the best suited for her in this type of appearance if I'm being hoenst. It reeks of tomboy-ish nature and the need to get physical which is exactly up her alley.

So yeah, as much as she may be my least favorite out of the three Mario gals, I feel she'd still be a nice inclusion and can be something other than a Peach clone.
I think her wearing the dress would be an amazing way to show that she's different from Peach and not afraid to get her dress dirty through lunges, wall jumps and fast falls into the ground.

She can also be a great antithesis to Peach by being a "vertical fighter"
Whereas Peach thrives with floats and aerial spacing, Daisy would use her high jumps and fast fall to quickly switch from grounded fights to aerial pursuits and space through clever jumping use (especially if she gains Mario Run's extra jump)

Either that, or space and retreat through big leaps and lunges as opposed to Peach's micro-spacing with her float

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
True enough. I can see why her dress would be cool then. I would still like if they gave the option for both though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We have yet to see to see an example in Smashboards where a characters alt defies their own hitboxes.

Little Mac shares the same hitbox when wearing the hoodie or being a wire frame, Alph shares the same hitboxes as Olimar, and the hitboxes on the Koopalings are the same as Junior despite some visual differences.

The issue comes from whether or not Daisy would share the same hitboxes between her dress and her other costumes. It’s pretty clear that Peach has hitboxes on her dress during some attacks. That is the issue.

Last edited:

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Daisy with a dress would be awesome if she got physical attacks like Chill suggested. I especially LOVE the idea of her being pretty much a direct opposite of Peach when it comes to playstyle. Believe it or not, some games which feature both already play with this idea!

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about something: since in the Mario series Daisy can double jump and the other characters (main at least, don't know if there are any obscure characters who can) can't do it (they can in Smash but that's a different story), what about giving her a TRIPLE jump, it would be a stand-out thing from the other Mario characters!

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
I was thinking about something: since in the Mario series Daisy can double jump and the other characters (main at least, don't know if there are any obscure characters who can) can't do it (they can in Smash but that's a different story), what about giving her a TRIPLE jump, it would be a stand-out thing from the other Mario characters!
I also thought the triple jump would be a great idea ever since I saw the double jump in Mario Run.
Similar to how Peach emits sparkles when she floats, Daisy could possibly have a little pop of flower petals near her feet upon third jump.

A triple jump would allow her to be an air combo queen! Suits her tomboyish nature, a combo heavy play style.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This was something we had discussed enough times in the past. Though I wouldn’t object to a third jump at all if it means a mod to Mario Run and separating her from Peach.

We have yet to see to see an example in Smashboards where a characters alt defies their own hitboxes.

Little Mac shares the same hitbox when wearing the hoodie or being a wire frame, Alph shares the same hitboxes as Olimar, and the hitboxes on the Koopalings are the same as Junior despite some visual differences.

The issue comes from whether or not Daisy would share the same hitboxes between her dress and her other costumes. It’s pretty clear that Peach has hitboxes on her dress during some attacks. That is the issue.
This. Hitboxes are glued to a character’s dress. Yeah this is the case with Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina.

So it’s either one costume or the other. It isn’t mechanically possible for Daisy to have both costumes without having to do that extra work for the different hitboxes.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Is it me or is Daisy really unpopular among Smash fans. I notice a lot of fan rosters have Geno, Paper Mario, Captain Toad and Waluigi but Daisy is listed as an alt skin or not there at all alongside Peach and Rosalina.

andimidna

Smash Master
Personally, I always play as Daisy in spinoffs just for her amazingly obnoxious voice. I'd love an alt costume as long as it gives me that amazing voice in Smash. I don't really care about her moveset lmaoo

Luminario

Smash Lord
Is it me or is Daisy really unpopular among Smash fans. I notice a lot of fan rosters have Geno, Paper Mario, Captain Toad and Waluigi but Daisy is listed as an alt skin or not there at all alongside Peach and Rosalina.
She seems to be pretty unpopular on here, but this is Smashboards and Daisy doesn't exactly fit this demographic.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
To be fair, she is arguably one of the most unpopular Mario characters as far as Smash.

Her similarity to Peach is one thing that turns many waway from her. Well aside from hating her voice.

Hence why more are drawn towards Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Pauline, Captain Toad, and more.

Personally, I always play as Daisy in spinoffs just for her amazingly obnoxious voice. I'd love an alt costume as long as it gives me that amazing voice in Smash. I don't really care about her moveset lmaoo
Got to say, it is a nice voice. That’s why I love Deanna Mustard.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Welcome to Smash speculation.

It’s far from out of the ordinary since many happen to say that Paper Mario and Captain Toad is the likeliest Mario newcomer while Waluigi is the better spinoff rep.

The problems people tend to have with Daisy include things like being more of an alt than her own slot, being obvious clone material, her voice (which many deem as grating), and being another princess.

If there is a Top 5 Worst Mario Characters list, Daisy is likely for those reasons.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Daisy is one of those characters people seem really split on, same for Waluigi. You never really know how people will respond to her inclusion.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And at least Waluigi had Brawl in the Family to launch him to meme status.

TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME!!!

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yes. One thing Daisy lacks unfortunately that appeals to lots of people. Wouldn't be surprised if Waluigi is highly requested this time around simply for the meme.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So Peach rules the mushroom kingdom and is the royal ruler of the Toads...

Rosalina has Lumas...

...what the heck species is Daisy actually the ruler of? I've been waiting forever for us to revisit Sarasaland to see what Daisy's answer to Toad is...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Rosalina has Lumas...

...what the heck species is Daisy actually the ruler of? I've been waiting forever for us to revisit Sarasaland to see what Daisy's answer to Toad is...
That’s more or less the problem of Daisy’s background being made by Yokoi and his own team.

With him gone and Daisy being used for only spinoffs, neither Miyamoto nor Koizumi knows what to do with Sarasaland anymore.

So wanting to see either of them revisit her Kingdom is wishful thinking.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Rosalina has Lumas...

That’s more or less the problem of Daisy’s background being made by Yokoi and his own team.

With him gone and Daisy being used for only spinoffs, neither Miyamoto nor Koizumi knows what to do with Sarasaland anymore.

So wanting to see either of them revisit her Kingdom is wishful thinking.
Pretty much.

Super Mario Land is all we will ever know about her kingdom. So we can only speculate as to what people she rules over.

We would kill for Sarasaland see the light of day with up to date graphics. As Kingdom DLC in Odyssey or a whole different game.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
I also thought the triple jump would be a great idea ever since I saw the double jump in Mario Run.
Similar to how Peach emits sparkles when she floats, Daisy could possibly have a little pop of flower petals near her feet upon third jump.

A triple jump would allow her to be an air combo queen! Suits her tomboyish nature, a combo heavy play style.
Yes I think it will work really well it would stand out giving her a great recovery.

Rosalina has Lumas...

Remember those zombies from Chai Kingdom in Super Mario Land? I think those are the zombified version of Sarasaland's inhabitants.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
Yes I think it will work really well it would stand out giving her a great recovery.

Remember those zombies from Chai Kingdom in Super Mario Land? I think those are the zombified version of Sarasaland's inhabitants.
Pretty much, Smash fans have mixed feelings about Daisy's inclusion because they consider her a clone and because SOMEONE annoyed them to death about her. At least she seems to have more support compared to Smash 4's era, not sure how improved it is but now I see famous Youtubers/players asking for her more something that barely happened 5-4 years ago.

Morbi

Scavenger

PRINCESS DAISY FOR SMASH SWITCH!
That is a Chromfirmation if I have ever seen one. :awesome:

Pretty much, Smash fans have mixed feelings about Daisy's inclusion because they consider her a clone and because SOMEONE annoyed them to death about her. At least she seems to have more support compared to Smash 4's era, not sure how improved it is but now I see famous Youtubers/players asking for her more something that barely happened 5-4 years ago.
To be fair, this time around, with Rosalina and Bowser Jr. out of the way, she sort of has more appeal to the general consumer than Wauligi or Toad. Ha ha... Not sure if that is saying much.

Top Bottom