• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace

PRINCESS DAISY FOR SMASH SWITCH!
I love this art they used! I've seen it in the Mario encyclopedia. Not a fan of her other 2D artwork, with the hands on her hips; I think the face looks exactly Peach and not how Daisy really looks.

Also it makes me happy seeing all the people saying "ADD HER TO SMASH!" We're all joined in this regard.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical of Daisy's chances, if she hasn't made it before... Still, I'm dropping in to say I'm rooting for you guys.

In all honestly, Daisy has slowly been getting individualized, but at this point, someone has to step in, give a hard look at Daisy over all her appearances and start putting together a detailed lore around her and her neck of the world based on things to present to Miyamoto before anything can really happen, I feel. At this point, I think Daisy is more than capable of rescuing herself, so I can easily imagine a reverse Mario game happening here. Daisy breaking out of wherever she's taken to after being ambushed and working her way home, using all the skills and quirks she's picked up over the years. This is the kind of push she needs.

As for Smash, I've been seeing the conversations about alts vs. clones. You're right in that a lot of her specialties are quite different from Peach so full on Alt. Costume would only do her injustice. I can see a few moves being similar, just using native power-ups from her home like the Superball and the Carrot power-up. Heck, she could use the Superball like a shield before tossing it back at the offending fighter, as an example, but for the most part, just taking her specials from the different sports games would be enough to give her a faithful moveset. It's an all or nothing situation for her, I think so... That's my thoughts.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Good luck Daisy thread!

She’s not my most wanted, but I would like her to get more than just a Peach palette swap. I’d want her dress to be the main look, but she should have her sports outfit as an alternate costume. I’d think she could have a moveset based around the sports and kart games since she’s best known from the spinoffs.

And I love having all the princesses battling it out in all their finery.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As much as I cannot see her happening, and still really needing my boy Toad in ASAP...

I would get very hype to see Daisy revealed.

Though I would expect her to be unlockable, so no trailer?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though I would expect her to be unlockable, so no trailer?
On that topic, I'm half expecting a lot of newcomers to be unlockable as there's not been a lot of time given between us finding out about the game existing and the supposed release date.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On that topic, I'm half expecting a lot of newcomers to be unlockable as there's not been a lot of time given between us finding out about the game existing and the supposed release date.
I don't expect them to be on the disc if they are unlockable.
I expect a serialized release, so that the characters can drop unexpectedly, not ruined by the internet, and cause the hype they deserve, just like back in 64.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't expect them to be on the disc if they are unlockable.
I expect a serialized release, so that the characters can drop unexpectedly, not ruined by the internet, and cause the hype they deserve, just like back in 64.
Like Splatoon and ARMS did?

Problem with that is Smash has already had sucess with paid DLC, even for veterans and past stages so I'm not sure it makes business sense.

Then again, it could be used as a justification for paid online, though I could only see them doing that for Veterans that didn't make the initial cut.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The timeline doesn't bode well for Daisy's inclusion.

Mario Run's update dropped too late to be a real influence for the roster, but too early to be hot and happening for DLC
And that sucks because Mario Run mechanics are a great fit for Daisy

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Mario Run's update dropped too late to be a real influence for the roster, but too early to be hot and happening for DLC
What is the timeline exactly?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I remember in the days of Pre-Brawl, the four biggest Mario supports character were Daisy, Waluigi, Geno and Toad, but hoo boy, it was a war between all four group. Daisy fans insist that Toad works perfectly as Peach's meat shield, and unlike Waluigi she did make one mainstream game apperance while Geno is owned by Square-Enix, and would be a huddle to put in the game. Waluigi and Toad fans insisted Daisy is just fine as a Peach recolor and it would go on back and forth, back on forth. Those days, I was on Team Geno, but now today I am on team all four of them. Maybe we can at least have Daisy as an assist trophy if nothing else.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I remember in the days of Pre-Brawl, the four biggest Mario supports character were Daisy, Waluigi, Geno and Toad, but hoo boy, it was a war between all four group. Daisy fans insist that Toad works perfectly as Peach's meat shield, and unlike Waluigi she did make one mainstream game apperance while Geno is owned by Square-Enix, and would be a huddle to put in the game. Waluigi and Toad fans insisted Daisy is just fine as a Peach recolor and it would go on back and forth, back on forth. Those days, I was on Team Geno, but now today I am on team all four of them. Maybe we can at least have Daisy as an assist trophy if nothing else.
I have heard stories that pre-Brawl speculation was bad, but I never expected all four sides to be THAT toxic. I can only imagine.

And I am also a rare breed that support all of them. Yes, even Geno too since it would be cool to see a character like him again.

November 2016: Sakurai confirms he's working on a new project (https://sourcegaming.info/2018/03/12/timeline-smash-switch/)
December 2016: Sakurai buys a rifle figure for his new project
September 2017: Mario Run's Daisy update releases
2018: Smash releases

Note that for Smash 4, the roster was decided at the very start of the project
Ouch.

This definitely doesn't look good in her favor. So I guess it would be technically too late to include anything Mario Run related at all.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Actually, wouldn't Sakurai and the Smash team at Namco consult the Mario team for ideas in Daisy's moveset? We don't know when Daisy was conceptualised for Mario Run and there are all sorts of design documents floating around Nintendo that no one got to see. 2016 is also the time when Daisy got her amiibo and other stuff. Her costume was also included in Miitopia, where the character selection was limited to Nintendo all stars.

Sakurai has also seen very early design documents for new franchises before.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Actually, wouldn't Sakurai and the Smash team at Namco consult the Mario team for ideas in Daisy's moveset? We don't know when Daisy was conceptualised for Mario Run and there are all sorts of design documents floating around Nintendo that no one got to see. 2016 is also the time when Daisy got her amiibo and other stuff. Her costume was also included in Miitopia, where the character selection was limited to Nintendo all stars.

Sakurai has also seen very early design documents for new franchises before.
That's also a good point.

Not sure if there had been records of him seeing earlier documental stuff for the few mobile Nintendo games we have.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I have heard stories that pre-Brawl speculation was bad, but I never expected all four sides to be THAT toxic. I can only imagine.

And I am also a rare breed that support all of them. Yes, even Geno too since it would be cool to see a character like him again.

Ouch.

This definitely doesn't look good in her favor. So I guess it would be technically too late to include anything Mario Run related at all.
We don't know if Sakurai will pick the roster at the start of the project again though.
If there's a Brawl-esque situation where there's room for Wolf-like semi-clones, Mario Run could give Daisy the edge

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
There are a lot of reasons why Daisy may not be likely, but I don't think the date of when the Mario Run update has anything to do with it.

Even though the roster may be picked out at the start, it doesn't mean they're working on every character all at once. It takes months

The Remix 10 update which includes Daisy may have released in September, but that team worked on it a few months back probably.

The time they were working on characters for Smash and the time the other team was working on Mario Run wouldn't be too far off.

I just think it doesn't hurt her chances as much as other things, like Mario reps over her or her only being in 2 main games (with 1 being a phone game).

Plus, it's not like the game came out already. They were working on it for a while to be able to add a lot of stuff.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
November 2016: Sakurai confirms he's working on a new project (https://sourcegaming.info/2018/03/12/timeline-smash-switch/)
December 2016: Sakurai buys a rifle figure for his new project
September 2017: Mario Run's Daisy update releases
2018: Smash releases

Note that for Smash 4, the roster was decided at the very start of the project
Two questions: 1. When did the Smash job posting go up again? 2. When was Super Mario Run announced as being in development? (I know it was released end of 2016)

This is good info, we should have a stickied thread with it if we don't already.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
1. April 2014
2. September 2016 it was revealed at the Apple Event
I wonder if those two years were all recruitment or if they spent them getting to grips with the then NX.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Also, Daisy has a lot more fans now than she did years ago before the Smash 4 roster was planned. I still have hope in her! Go Daisy Go!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think all speculation on whether or not Mario Run stuff will be included in Smash for Daisy is very interesting and most of you do happen to raise some good points.

Like it not being able to show the bigger push Daisy had gotten to him or whether it would be too late to have a nod to the double jump mechanic in Smash.

I'd say waiting until we get more news and seeing what 2016 games will be referenced first would be the best way to handle this. I know some late Wii U games like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash would get a few trophies. So why not some mobile content as trophies (assuming he looked at games like Pokemon Go too).

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice

I'm not sure about this, wasn't Rosalina decided for Smash in 2012 but added last second in Super Mario 3D World?
I think Sakurai could've been influenced from the Run update (who appearantly was in develop few months before the release) about a potential Daisy inclusion, not to mention the Arcade GP update who was released in June (also Rosalina was announced for this game during the same week of her announce in Smash). Phreaps Nintendo was planning all of this together?

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Considering that I've given Pauline one of these, Daisy was quite obvious to be next! For those who didn't read Pauline's, this is a "what-if" trailer reveal, done in the style of the Inklings...

The trailer starts out with a storm in the distance, followed by a panning zoom-in shot of a high-tech stadium with lighting and rain pouring down with thunder cracking, before finally settling in on the middle of the field. It then zooms in through the crowd who are awaiting the match to begin. It then zooms in on the various members of the soccer before zooming in on a blimp where a shadowy figure jumps out. The figure is revealed to be Daisy, who brings out her fists and yells, "Oh Yeah? Come On!" However, in the middle of the intro, everything blacks out, with the exception of Daisy. Daisy begins looking around until a bright orange light captures her attention. She then stares in awe as the Smash Logo appears in her eyes. The next shots showcase both Peach and Rosalina while obscuring their faces. The camera then zooms out as everything, save for the Smash logo fades away.

What do you think fellow Daisy fans?

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not sure about this, wasn't Rosalina decided for Smash in 2012 but added last second in Super Mario 3D World?
I think Sakurai could've been influenced from the Run update (who appearantly was in develop few months before the release) about a potential Daisy inclusion, not to mention the Arcade GP update who was released in June (also Rosalina was announced for this game during the same week of her announce in Smash). Phreaps Nintendo was planning all of this together?
In general, they try to use Smash as a marketing machine. So they would be aware of it and schedule accordingly, yes.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Considering that I've given Pauline one of these, Daisy was quite obvious to be next! For those who didn't read Pauline's, this is a "what-if" trailer reveal, done in the style of the Inklings...

The trailer starts out with a storm in the distance, followed by a panning zoom-in shot of a high-tech stadium with lighting and rain pouring down with thunder cracking, before finally settling in on the middle of the field. It then zooms in through the crowd who are awaiting the match to begin. It then zooms in on the various members of the soccer before zooming in on a blimp where a shadowy figure jumps out. The figure is revealed to be Daisy, who brings out her fists and yells, "Oh Yeah? Come On!" However, in the middle of the intro, everything blacks out, with the exception of Daisy. Daisy begins looking around until a bright orange light captures her attention. She then stares in awe as the Smash Logo appears in her eyes. The next shots showcase both Peach and Rosalina while obscuring their faces. The camera then zooms out as everything, save for the Smash logo fades away.

What do you think fellow Daisy fans?
Love it Afro. Beautiful trailer.

Then again, I am biased for Strikers references.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I think all speculation on whether or not Mario Run stuff will be included in Smash for Daisy is very interesting and most of you do happen to raise some good points.

Like it not being able to show the bigger push Daisy had gotten to him or whether it would be too late to have a nod to the double jump mechanic in Smash.

I'd say waiting until we get more news and seeing what 2016 games will be referenced first would be the best way to handle this. I know some late Wii U games like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash would get a few trophies. So why not some mobile content as trophies (assuming he looked at games like Pokemon Go too).
Yeah, I am also hoping he at the very least gives some form of acknowledgement the games outside of main series.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
I have soo many ideas for Daisy reveal trailers, lol.

Trailer 1) Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina are walking in a grass place with letters in their hands that have the Smash symbol. So obviously they are heading to Smash.

Mario looks up and the whole group looks up and stops walking. The screen goes up to show a yellow dress. It's Daisy with her arms crossed!

She then slowly holds up... a Smash letter as well! They only have seconds to look shocked before she says "Let's party!" (her voice clip in like, MP6 i think) and HURLS a giant dice block at them which explodes.
"DAISY STARTS THE PARTY!" Then a moveset montage.

Trailer 2 - This Daisy trailer is shared with Waluigi, an idea which I think would be epic)
Mario and Luigi are playing a game of tennis. Mario hits a shot that Luigi is about to miss, but then a purple racquet hits the ball. It is Waluigi, who then kicks Luigi off the court.

"WALUIGI serves up trouble!!"

A montage of Waluigi fighting in a new Mario Tennis stage against Mario and Luigi. Plus other move clips.

Back to CGI. Waluigi is about to hit a ball that aims toward Mario, but an ORANGE racquet hits it back into Waluigi! "Hi I'm Daisy!"

"DAISY says HI!!"

Then Daisy moveset clips. The trailer ends with Mario and Luigi on the sidelines looking back and forth as Waluigi and Daisy go at it.

Trailer 3) The NON-CGI DLC route.
Peach's castle stage; shows Peach who then does her up taunt. "Sweet." Screen cuts to Mario Galaxy Stage, and shows Rosalina who does her side taunt. "Mhmm." Screen cuts to a never before seen black and white stage, and zooms across to show Daisy. "Hi I'm Daisy!" "DAISY says HI!!" Then moveset montage.

Last edited:

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
I hope the Smash team doesn't forget about Mario Run...

On the other hand, to be honest, I would love a trailer of Waluigi and Daisy revealed as playable characters, both would be ideal. And if not, only Daisy, she deserves it more, has come out in two main games, besides being a superstar of the spin-offs (Mario Sports Superstars).

In addition, it is a fact that Daisy now has more support than 4 years ago.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I hope the Smash team doesn't forget about Mario Run...

On the other hand, to be honest, I would love a trailer of Waluigi and Daisy revealed as playable characters, both would be ideal. And if not, only Daisy, she deserves it more, has come out in two main games, besides being a superstar of the spin-offs (Mario Sports Superstars).

In addition, it is a fact that Daisy now has more support than 4 years ago.
Unfortunately Wa has the more vocal support and if Daisy made the cut and Waluigi didn't, I would imagine the uproar would be ridiculous, but I still support our flower princess all the way.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Daisy has one notable advantage over Waluigi, Daisy has a similar body structure and is only half a head shorter than Peach, whereas Waluigi is Luigi's caricature.

So Daisy could easily use some of Peach's animations clone or semi-clone style, but Waluigi would need to be built from scratch.

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately Wa has the more vocal support and if Daisy made the cut and Waluigi didn't, I would imagine the uproar would be ridiculous, but I still support our flower princess all the way.
I don't care about the uproar that could be generated if that happens, Waluigi is heard more, but it's just for being a meme, not for having real fans.
Daisy has one notable advantage over Waluigi, Daisy has a similar body structure and is only half a head shorter than Peach, whereas Waluigi is Luigi's caricature.

So Daisy could easily use some of Peach's animations clone or semi-clone style, but Waluigi would need to be built from scratch.
That isn't true in part. That is, Daisy's model is easier to do, but Waluigi's model is also, because he is already an assistant in the game.

Hopefully this is the game where Daisy arrives at the battle...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
This may be an unpopular opinion, but would you guys settle for Daisy getting the Alph treatment?
I can only speak for myself, obviously; however, that is all I ever wanted. I would prefer a sports based move-set go to Waluigi and having her in a dress is just too similar to Peach to possibly warrant her own slot unless Sakurai overcompensated with the move-set. That being said, I would not mind Wolf getting that treatment with Fox either. Some people are really against it, I just want the character to be in the game and not just a color swap.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I would personally be torn between being overjoyed to be able to play as her and being miffed by the inconsistency between Peach's moveset and Daisy's personnality. Sakurai should at the very least change all the heart effects to a flower effect. After all he did that with the two costumes for Bayonetta in Sm4sh.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This may be an unpopular opinion, but would you guys settle for Daisy getting the Alph treatment?
I would take it.

As much as I would prefer her own slot, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

If Koopaling and Alph fans are alright with an alt, then so can I.

Top Bottom