• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's worth pointing out that the cost to buy the full game is apparently going to be 50% off for two weeks following the update, as a special offer, so if anyone is planning on picking it up because of this update, after the update looks like the time to do so.

EDIT: This might be one for the main post, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan ! :laugh: (I'm surprised that we don't have it in the thread-title already, come to think of it.)

It's from Nintendo of America's Twitter announcement about the new Super Mario Run update.

Hold on, I'll definitely put that in the OP later when I can get my hands on a laptop.

It's definitely a nice header image.

And good to hear from you again @Chromfirmed

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow! Looks like Daisy is finally becoming a serious candidate for Mario newcomer! Watch out Toad/Captain Toad and Paper Mario!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Applying what we've got to Smash, maybe Daisy rocks vertical control while Peach does good on the horizontal?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Applying what we've got to Smash, maybe Daisy rocks vertical control while Peach does good on the horizontal?
Considering Daisy's unique ability in Super Mario Run is double jumping... which is something all characters in Smash are able to do... I guess they could give Daisy a triple jump.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The OP is now updated as well as the title.

This is a good month for Daisy ladies and gentleman.

As in better vertical control with her jumps and poor horizontal recovery? That works well. It can set her apart.

Considering Daisy's unique ability in Super Mario Run is double jumping... which is something all characters in Smash are able to do... I guess they could give Daisy a triple jump.
A triple jump would work, but it's for from unique.

Though it would make for a nice Super Mario Run shoutout. Or give her a more floaty jump compared to Peach.

Luminario

Smash Lord
If anything, at least this gives Daisy an actual unique ability for main Mario titles. Seeing as how a 2D Mario game is inevitable on every console, Daisy can join the cast of 3D World for the Switch game with something new to offer, and with how similar she is in design to Peach she wouldn't take that long to implement either.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The good part about it is that they had a perfectly fine chance at giving Daisy a float, but still didn't.
So if a mobile game of all things doesn't give her the float, I'm now 100% sure Sakurai wouldn't

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As in better vertical control with her jumps and poor horizontal recovery? That works well. It can set her apart.
Yeah, that's what I meant, especially considering Peach's double jump goes so low they had to massively buff it in SSE to compensate for the higher gravity.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pretty glad to hear Daisy's getting some first steps taken for a more serious playable roles! :4pacman:
The double-jump mechanic reminds me tad of the good ol' Pandemonium-game for PSX, with another character that also uses it.

I think her double jump-thing is little difficult to make into something unique in Smash indeed though - but perhaps it could be move instead through Monkey Flip-esque command grab? Or also be inspired by ZSS's Flip Jump.

I still think they could play on her athleticism if ever going for a moveset theme, sorta like mix of Peach + ZSS's attributes.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The OP is now updated as well as the title.
Awesome. :grin: I love the tag-line!

This is a good month for Daisy ladies and gentleman.
Say, isn't this the first time that Daisy's been chosen for a Miyamoto-driven Mario title...?

Just wanted to come back and say congrats on the Super Mario Run inclusion. Here's hoping Waluigi becomes playable.
Thanks! I'm hoping to see Waluigi get his chance, too (I support both Daisy and Waluigi for Smash, amongst others) - good luck!

The good part about it is that they had a perfectly fine chance at giving Daisy a float, but still didn't.
So if a mobile game of all things doesn't give her the float, I'm now 100% sure Sakurai wouldn't
I've got to second this. :4dedede:

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Congrats, Daisy fans! I personally felt that they should've done this sooner instead of the Yoshi recolor, and that the recolors could've been a part of the game before development, but regardless, it's nice to see her in Super Mario Run. I hope that eventually the main cast of Mario will be able to make it in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, I'm surprised Daisy got in before Rosalina considering just about everything else has had her in instead of Daisy. (For ex. Smash, Puzzles and Dragons)

I wonder if they've got a space themed update in mind for her.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Say, isn't this the first time that Daisy's been chosen for a Miyamoto-driven Mario title...?
Yes, yes it is. Even if this is a mobile game mind you, this is a big significant step for Daisy as a character.
Now it's only matter of when this could translate to her being in a bigger budget Mario platformer.

Honestly, I'm surprised Daisy got in before Rosalina considering just about everything else has had her in instead of Daisy. (For ex. Smash, Puzzles and Dragons)

I wonder if they've got a space themed update in mind for her.
I think a Super Mario Galaxy based update with her is likely. If they can make the space mechanics work for a NSMB-like game.

Congrats, Daisy fans! I personally felt that they should've done this sooner instead of the Yoshi recolor, and that the recolors could've been a part of the game before development, but regardless, it's nice to see her in Super Mario Run. I hope that eventually the main cast of Mario will be able to make it in.
Same. They honestly could have been done far earlier than the Yoshi recolors.

Just wanted to come back and say congrats on the Super Mario Run inclusion. Here's hoping Waluigi becomes playable.
Thanks and I do hope that Waluigi is next down the line. And maybe his fat yellow partner in crime too (Wario is long overdue).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
EDIT: This might be one for the main post, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan ! :laugh: (I'm surprised that we don't have it in the thread-title already, come to think of it.)

It's from Nintendo of America's Twitter announcement about the new Super Mario Run update.
This is just beautiful. Glad that the OP feels more complete with this alone. Glad that she is finally in a platformer.

If anything, at least this gives Daisy an actual unique ability for main Mario titles. Seeing as how a 2D Mario game is inevitable on every console, Daisy can join the cast of 3D World for the Switch game with something new to offer, and with how similar she is in design to Peach she wouldn't take that long to implement either.
I agree with this. The double jumping is actually quite nice, but I feel she kind of need more than just that. Actually try and incorporate her Flower Power more. That could work.

Yeah, seeing her in a new 3D World-esque game would be sweet. Even if it's an enchanted port.

Pretty glad to hear Daisy's getting some first steps taken for a more serious playable roles! :4pacman:
The double-jump mechanic reminds me tad of the good ol' Pandemonium-game for PSX, with another character that also uses it.

I think her double jump-thing is little difficult to make into something unique in Smash indeed though - but perhaps it could be move instead through Monkey Flip-esque command grab? Or also be inspired by ZSS's Flip Jump.

I still think they could play on her athleticism if ever going for a moveset theme, sorta like mix of Peach + ZSS's attributes.
You actually raise a good point. Finding a way to make the double jump work in Smash would be difficult. Even then, she kind of need more unique traits to work with in a moveset. Though I do agree with some of the ideas presented like better horizontal control with her jumps and no float.

Seeing that as a special that works as a semi-grab? Now that would be a bit more unique. They definitely should play on her athletic traits in Smash if she were aver included. Great strength and agility in combat.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if Sarasaland will be in Super Mario Odyssey, but I could see it as possible DLC in the future. Super Mario Odyssey seems like a big title with creative ideas thrown in, and DLC would probably benefit it. Throw in Sarasaland and Daisy cameo (but you can inter act with her, not just see her) in there, and that would be nice.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm not sure if Sarasaland will be in Super Mario Odyssey, but I could see it as possible DLC in the future. Super Mario Odyssey seems like a big title with creative ideas thrown in, and DLC would probably benefit it. Throw in Sarasaland and Daisy cameo (but you can inter act with her, not just see her) in there, and that would be nice.
That would be cool, even if it's DLC. Odyssey did give some cool shoutouts to other famous Mario locations, so I would be all or it.

Like the recently "revealed" Isle Delfino.

Though given the similarities with the Sand Kingdom, they would have to do more with it to be unique. Maybe combine all four of the kingdoms into one for Sarasaland (Burabito, Muda, Chai, and Easton).

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sarasaland in Odyssey would be hype. If Odyssey has some for of DLC, then it's completely possible. Even I wouldn't mind Mario paying Daisy a visit to say hi or just mess around with the Sky Pop plane.

Or even capture the Kingdom exclusive enemies like Bun Buns, Pionpis, and more.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I dearly wanna see Sarasaland on Odyssey, seeing how it'd be a perfect opportunity to blend it to Odyssey's thematic centering on traveling around the world, and implement Daisy in beautifully. Not gonna hold my breath though, but still.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I dearly wanna see Sarasaland on Odyssey, seeing how it'd be a perfect opportunity to blend it to Odyssey's thematic centering on traveling around the world, and implement Daisy in beautifully. Not gonna hold my breath though, but still.
Same.

The best we can do is wait and see. Especially considering Nintendo's already spotty relationship with her game of origin.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Wow! Looks like Daisy is finally becoming a serious candidate for Mario newcomer! Watch out Toad/Captain Toad and Paper Mario!
I wouldn't push it that far, but seeing improvements like these is always a morale booster, and this is also a point in her favor.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I wouldn't push it that far, but seeing improvements like these is always a morale booster, and this is also a point in her favor.
Yeah.

She needs more than that to be honest. But this is definitely a good thing in her favor.

Or anyone else who's helped by Mario Run (Toadette and more to come).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah.

She needs more than that to be honest. But this is definitely a good thing in her favor.

Or anyone else who's helped by Mario Run (Toadette and more to come).
Not to mention that, since the majority of gaming (dedicated or not) is done on tablets these days, the whole idea behind Super Mario Run, and the other Nintendo mobile titles, is to expose more people to Nintendo's series and characters.

Even with Super Mario Run's sales being uneven around the world, it's a pretty huge platform for them to be promoting Daisy on alongside the others, really.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Not to mention that, since the majority of gaming (dedicated or not) is done on tablets these days, the whole idea behind Super Mario Run, and the other Nintendo mobile titles, is to expose more people to Nintendo's series and characters.

Even with Super Mario Run's sales being uneven around the world, it's a pretty huge platform for them to be promoting Daisy on alongside the others, really.
That's definitely a good point Tortilla. For those that never played a Mario game before, it could be their first exposure to Daisy than the countless Mario spinoffs we have. They could enjoy playing as her and grow to like her.

Super Mario Run is definitely a big deal. Just that we need to wait for the time Nintendo takes more risks with the character (like butting her in a non-spinoff game).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That's definitely a good point Tortilla. For those that never played a Mario game before, it could be their first exposure to Daisy than the countless Mario spinoffs we have. They could enjoy playing as her and grow to like her.

Super Mario Run is definitely a big deal. Just that we need to wait for the time Nintendo takes more risks with the character (like butting her in a non-spinoff game).
Precisely. I know it's sometimes easy for folks with more interest in dedicated gaming hardware to overlook how big of a deal this sort of thing is, so I figured that it bore mentioning. :laugh:

Incidentally, we can now see that Super Mario Run is doing pretty well for itself on the iOS App Store, and on Google Play. It's reaching a lot of people.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Precisely. I know it's sometimes easy for folks with more interest in dedicated gaming hardware to overlook how big of a deal this sort of thing is, so I figured that it bore mentioning. :laugh:

Incidentally, we can now see that Super Mario Run is doing pretty well for itself on the iOS App Store, and on Google Play. It's reaching a lot of people.
Crikey, and people said Super Mario Run is dead. All it took was a big update and a new character (Daisy) just to help boost the sales of the game. And that's the power of using your brand.

I'll wait a while and see if any actual gameplay videos exist. I want to see Daisy in action myself.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Crikey, and people said Super Mario Run is dead. All it took was a big update and a new character (Daisy) just to help boost the sales of the game. And that's the power of using your brand.
I think the information from the article is for the entire year, but it's still huge, regardless. :laugh:

I'll wait a while and see if any actual gameplay videos exist. I want to see Daisy in action myself.
I think that we've only got the screenshots from Nintendo of America's Twitter announcement for the update, right now, unfortunately.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
According to a report posted on GoNintendo, the Super Mario Run update that adds World Star, the Remix 10 mode, the custom music feature, and, of course, Daisy, is now available.

Super Mario Run - version 3.0.4 is available, adds new modes and features

Super Mario Run – Ver. 3.0.4

Release date: September 28th
Download size: 67.32MB (Android) / 225MB (iOS)
Platform: Android, iOS

Patch notes:
■ Remix 10: Super Mario Run courses done short and sweet!
In Remix 10, you’ll challenge 10 very short courses in a row. Daisy is lost somewhere along the way, so if you play enough courses you’ll be able to find her! You’ll also be able to play some extra Bonus Games and a Super Bonus Game to get various buildings for your kingdom as you run through this mode.
■ Even more fun with World Star!
There are some new courses to explore, including a forest, a ship packed with coins, and a whole airship armada. Each course adds a whole new level of fun!
■ Daisy, a new playable character, is here, and she brought a double-jump skill with her!
If you play through enough Remix 10 courses, Princess Daisy of Sarasaland will join your group of friends. Her double-jump ability lets her jump while she’s already midair!
■ Listen to your favorite music with the music-play feature!
Now you can listen to music stored on your device while playing Super Mario Run. Mario and his friends will wear headphones when this feature is turned on! Find some music that will get you pumped to run some courses!
■ New buildings for Kingdom Builder mode
You may earn brand-new buildings from the Bonus Games in Remix 10. Try to get as many as you can!
■ The way opponents are selected for Toad Rally has been adjusted.
There is now less of a chance you’ll play against someone whose Toad population is significantly different from yours.

List of changes:
adds World ★
adds a new mode: Remix 10
adds new playable character: Daisy
adds feature allowing you to listen to your own music while playing

Source: Perfectly Nintendo

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Apparently, another new addition is that Peach, Yoshi, Toad and Toadette can all take an extra hit like the Mario Bros.

Can someone with the game confirm this?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Update is now live. And Daisy's on the front page of Google Play. That's a boost.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
GameXplain has posted some footage from Super Mario Run's new Remix 10 mode, along with some of the other additions to the game.

I heard the underground tune from Super Mario Land in there at one point. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is that Daisy singing? Or vocalising at least?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Is that Daisy singing? Or vocalising at least?
I could well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the vocals are just meant to give the feeling of a club mix, rather than representing any particular character. That's just the impression that I got from it, though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I could well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the vocals are just meant to give the feeling of a club mix, rather than representing any particular character. That's just the impression that I got from it, though.
Wasn't Daisy in that strange Mario Club mix CD?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Wasn't Daisy in that strange Mario Club mix CD?
I don't know of any Mario club mix CD, myself, so I don't know. I only know of the singles based on Super Mario Land, by Ambassadors of Funk Featuring M.C. Mario, but she wasn't in either of those - she's only referenced in the single titled "Super Mario Land"* (in the lines "My girl is trapped on the other side of town, so I'm moving in leaps and bounds.", and "Even my Ma, she thinks I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!").

*That one actually placed quite highly in the UK charts, and got a lot of airtime (along with Tetris by Doctor Spin, which used samples from the Game Boy version of Tetris). Meanwhile, the other Super Mario Land-based single, "Go, Mario, Go!" was virtually unknown.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't know of any Mario club mix CD, myself, so I don't know. I only know of the singles based on Super Mario Land, by Ambassadors of Funk Featuring M.C. Mario, but she wasn't in either of those - she's only referenced in the single titled "Super Mario Land"* (in the lines "My girl is trapped on the other side of town, so I'm moving in leaps and bounds.", and "Even my Ma, she thinks I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!").

*That one actually placed quite highly in the UK charts, and got a lot of airtime (along with Tetris by Doctor Spin, which used samples from the Game Boy version of Tetris). Meanwhile, the other Super Mario Land-based single, "Go, Mario, Go!" was virtually unknown.
That's the one.

Top Bottom