• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hey, guys! On the subject about Daisy, what I don't get is, whenever Daisy is brought up, fan or not, why do people associate her with Smash, anyway? Even when she's not a playable character...this comes with fans, anti-fans, and casuals alike.

Never knew she had a hatedom...that must be his perfect world.
There's a proper answer to this, but it's forbidden. You know the drill however. No imagination needed.

A perfect world indeed. He's definitely a chill fan that I'm glad that I've met. Perhaps I should race your Daisy some time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Daisy's brought up in Smash discussion so often because now Bowser Jr. is in she's the default, Mario characters not in Smash that everyone falls to, especially now Birdo's public appearances have declined since... Mario Party 8? Honestly can't remember the last time I saw her.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Daisy's brought up in Smash discussion so often because now Bowser Jr. is in she's the default, Mario characters not in Smash that everyone falls to, especially now Birdo's public appearances have declined since... Mario Party 8? Honestly can't remember the last time I saw her.
Birdo was in Mario Golf World Tour and Mario & Sonic at Rio.

This guy you're right, she's been appearing less and less compared to her and Waluigi.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I wouldn't say she's the default, but she is one of the top picks among new Mario characters alongside Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Captain/Toad. It's still pretty divided as far as I know.

Also, was Birdo really a commonly brought up choice? I haven't seen much of her at all with the exception of the occasional suggestion of a Yoshi semi-clone. Then again, I'm still somewhat new here and likely just haven't checked the right places outside of Smashboards either.

I have seen outcry for her return to Mario Kart and other spin-offs though. It does seem like they've using her less and less when she used to always show alongside Yoshi or in some supporting spin-off role like being a team member in Mario Strikers.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wouldn't say she's the default, but she is one of the top picks among new Mario characters alongside Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Captain/Toad. It's still pretty divided as far as I know.

Also, was Birdo really a commonly brought up choice? I haven't seen much of her at all with the exception of the occasional suggestion of a Yoshi semi-clone. Then again, I'm still somewhat new here and likely just haven't checked the right places outside of Smashboards either.

I have seen outcry for her return to Mario Kart and other spin-offs though. It does seem like they've using her less and less when she used to always show alongside Yoshi or in some supporting spin-off role like being a team member in Mario Strikers.
Birdo was a reasonably popular choice in the pre-Brawl days... as a Yoshi's Island rep.

We were all younger and dumber back then.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I got into the NintenZone but since nobody can reply, this is a better place to post my Nabbit headcanons.

Nabbit is actually a Zelda character, as he's Ravio's brother and Nabooru's and the Happy Mask Salesman's child.
(He's not the Gerudo King born once a 100 years. Although he is a male and Gerudo off-spring, only the Gerudo King born once a 100 yrs has the classic Gerudo look, with the tan and red hair and all.

Ravio took after his father and became a morally ambigious salesman, whereas Nabbit became a thief like his mother.
The Running Man is his uncle.

During the Imprisoning War, Nabooru was looking for a powerful husband to reign supreme over the rebelling Gerudos.
She sensed a powerful entity in the Happy Mask Salesman, who had indeed dimension-travelling capabilities.
They fled to Lorule since Termina was destroyed by the Moon.

The Running Man used his dimension-powers to spend his life dressed up as a plant on Isle Delfino.
This is quite a divine prank.
You see, after getting the Bunny Hood, he could hear the godesses.
As a joke, they said to the Running Man to flee and dress up like a purple plant.

Nabbit got lost in his dimension-warping and is now trying to get in Smash in order to warp back to his actual universe.
That's why he steals, he wants to show Mario his moveset potential.
Eventually he did but he died before he could get to see his brother Ravio.
Filled with regret, he became the Monster Merchant Kilton.

And since there's no lore that says this can't be the truth it obviously is.

Next thing I wanna post is the fact my Strikers Moveset is up at the Make Your Move thread in WiiU and 3DS General Discussion.
I'll post a link when the site isn't as slow as MK8.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey, guys! On the subject about Daisy, what I don't get is, whenever Daisy is brought up, fan or not, why do people associate her with Smash, anyway? Even when she's not a playable character...this comes with fans, anti-fans, and casuals alike.
Rather not repeat what Aussie said, but it's close enough.

It's also because she's kind of a common suggestion for Smash. It's no different from Paper Mario fans wanting him in Smash or the Waluigi fandom really. Minus the obvious Birdo in the room that can't be addressed.

And Birdo was in the Paper Mario games. But they were nothing more than short humorous scenes that had little to do with the plot of both games.

Never knew she had a hatedom...that must be his perfect world.
He's one of the lucky ones.

Or he simply doesn't pay close attention to the Mario fandom at all. But I'd rather not judge a Daisy fan that I barely know about.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Why's Daisy brought up in Smash?

Because when Melee came out, and Peach was introduced as a character, her second costume was a yellow dress with brown hair in obvious homage to Daisy, so people were already picking her and saying they were playing Daisy, but they knew it wasn't having the character actually in the game. And they played as Daisy in enough Mario games.

As for Birdo... was captain rainbow before or after mario party 8? That might be her last appearance.

Also on Birdo as a Yoshi rep... has Birdo been in a Yoshi series game? I know she was often partnered with Yoshi in tennis and double dash... and probably on his team in super sluggers and strikers.

Also, man do I hope Switch gets a sluggers or strikers game before a tennis or golf.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why's Daisy brought up in Smash?

Because when Melee came out, and Peach was introduced as a character, her second costume was a yellow dress with brown hair in obvious homage to Daisy, so people were already picking her and saying they were playing Daisy, but they knew it wasn't having the character actually in the game. And they played as Daisy in enough Mario games.

As for Birdo... was captain rainbow before or after mario party 8? That might be her last appearance.

Also on Birdo as a Yoshi rep... has Birdo been in a Yoshi series game? I know she was often partnered with Yoshi in tennis and double dash... and probably on his team in super sluggers and strikers.

Also, man do I hope Switch gets a sluggers or strikers game before a tennis or golf.
Well said. The Daisy colors were always a grim reminder of how she had never been playable since Melee for understandable reason. So I see why that wouldn't be a good reason for wanting her.

Birdo had never canonically appeared in a Yoshi game, thus she's not a Yoshi character. It makes as much as as the Smash Team accidentally labelling Waluigi as a Wario character just because he partnered with him in Mario spinoffs (which they thankfully fixed in the final game).

Any Mario sports game would do. If Mario kart is anything to go by, they should sell good with how the Switch is doing.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Well said. The Daisy colors were always a grim reminder of how she had never been playable since Melee for understandable reason. So I see why that wouldn't be a good reason for wanting her.

Birdo had never canonically appeared in a Yoshi game, thus she's not a Yoshi character. It makes as much as as the Smash Team accidentally labelling Waluigi as a Wario character just because he partnered with him in Mario spinoffs (which they thankfully fixed in the final game).

Any Mario sports game would do. If Mario kart is anything to go by, they should sell good with how the Switch is doing.
Poor Birdo, going on the decline more and more, one can only hope the situation improves for her. Regarding why is Daisy is almost always mention in Smash speculation, maybe it has to do with what Azure said about the alt in Melee, but as for me, I would just like to play as my favorite Mario princess. As if I have been using Daisy lately, yes, in Mario Kart Wii.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
And this is where they probably get the idea that Daisy is just a Peach clone. Eh, and probably the Mario Party franchise as well...

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
And this is where they probably get the idea that Daisy is just a Peach clone. Eh, and probably the Mario Party franchise as well...
I think the idea comes more from the fact that she was essentially brought in as Peach's Luigi in Mario Tennis, which has pretty much remained her role ever since. She's a spin-off only character serving as Peach's partner. Similar to Peach but with some differences such as being being more outgoing and of course the whole flower motif.

I just wish they'd actually give her the Luigi treatment and evolve her character by actually using her in some of the mainline titles. 3D World would have been the perfect opportunity to throw her in. Rosalina was already an extra, unlockable character after all, but I suppose she made it in on her explosive surge in popularity from the moment she was introduced. Daisy's following has grown steadily, but hasn't ever been anything too big from my understanding.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Even though I might get hate for this, but Nintendo just diesn't want to take too many risk. Imagine if one day Daisy does win up in a canon Mario game, they could get praise for it or severe backlash because more deserving Mario characters should have been there (Birdo, Waluigi, arguably Nabbit, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for it to happen. But maybe it's just not meant to be. I would be happy and surprised IF they they are up for taking that risk.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Even though I might get hate for this, but Nintendo just diesn't want to take too many risk. Imagine if one day Daisy does win up in a canon Mario game, they could get praise for it or severe backlash because more deserving Mario characters should have been there (Birdo, Waluigi, arguably Nabbit, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for it to happen. But maybe it's just not meant to be. I would be happy and surprised IF they they are up for taking that risk.
I get what you mean, but which characters are more deserving is kind of subjective. When it comes to supporting and other minor characters they're kind of all over the place.

Daisy has been in one main line title, being her debut game, but has since been relegated to spin-offs.

Waluigi has only been in spin-offs and sometimes they do weird things like leave him out of Mario Kart 7, yet include someone like Honey Queen. (No offense to Honey Queen either but MK7's roster was just weird imo)

Birdo was an enemy that then became a spin-off character in a situation somewhat similar to Daisy. They used her elsewhere on the rare occasion like in Mario & Luigi and Captain Rainbow, but she's been used less and less over time.

Nabbit was also a special enemy like Birdo, and then even got himself a playable role in Super Luigi U, but otherwise they haven't used him outside of other small roles like being a stage hazard on Mushroom Kingdom U in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

And I suppose some of the above illustrate that they do risks, they always have. They just happen to be particularly unpredictable I suppose. They'll play it safe for a lot of things even when people ask for changes and then when they do change something it's something we didn't expect that we end up really liking or are just left scratching our heads.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I've always been amazed seeing this thread always being among the most active. I never thought Daisy was that popular, but I never see this thread not on the first page. Because of this, im really surprised to see that the supporters list is so small, this is one seriously dedicated group.

Anyway even though it doesn't bother me when she doesn't make it, I've always felt like Daisy somewhat belonged in Smash, so I support.

Also PS those costumes in the OP are really well done.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I've always been amazed seeing this thread always being among the most active. I never thought Daisy was that popular, but I never see this thread not on the first page. Because of this, im really surprised to see that the supporters list is so small, this is one seriously dedicated group.

Anyway even though it doesn't bother me when she doesn't make it, I've always felt like Daisy somewhat belonged in Smash, so I support.

Yeah it's really a feat in the sense that we kinda stayed on topic as well.
Why don't you take a look around to see all the talk about potential stages, music and moveset potential Daisy can bring?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Why not... all of them? It's not like they have to be a main part of the story right? Like, Mario Oddysey is coming up, and he travels to a bunch of different places. Each character can guest star, and at least have some kind of role without being shoehorned in. Who would backlash that?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Why not... all of them? It's not like they have to be a main part of the story right? Like, Mario Oddysey is coming up, and he travels to a bunch of different places. Each character can guest star, and at least have some kind of role without being shoehorned in. Who would backlash that?
Probably a few people, but what good does it do to listen to a select few that will never be satisfied either way?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Nabbit was technically already in Super Luigi U before anyone did and no one batted an eye. Not to mention two Toads were playable in the New Super Mario Bros series when Wario needed programming for his farts and Peach had issues with her skirt (which thankfully got fixed in 3D World). And like Kirbeh Kirbeh said, deserving is subjective when all of them would be great and unique choices for a Mario platformer, even Toadette who had her starring role in Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

Sure there will be some rage if she were possibly chosen chosen as the only new playable character in a 3D Mario game, but so did others when it came to Rosalina (Not that I'm saying anything bad about her, but you can't ignore both fans of Waluigi and Daisy were initially upset at the time). Nintendo would need to take more risks if they would want to revolutionize their Mario titles more and not a single person would expect a certain breakout character from Super Mario Galaxy to be in 3D World.

We don't have that many high profile Mario characters left to be in a platformer since Wario's games are dying, DK has his own series, and Yoshi had been more or less a power-up when he's not in Yoshi's Island. They would have to add some lesser characters sooner or later.

Actually, I wouldn't mind that at all. I'm still expecting DK to have some role in New Donk City.

Imagine seeing Daisy in that frozen desert world. Which brings up the question, did they make that world concept up for a "frozen dessert" pun?

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Imagine seeing Daisy in that frozen desert world. Which brings up the question, did they make that world concept up for a "frozen dessert" pun?
I wouldn't put it past them. Though now that you mention it, I am pretty curious about what names they gave to all the worlds/levels in Odyssey. Hopefully they'll show off a few more at E3.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Meanwhile, a trademark was filed for a Bowser spinoff today.

And unsurprisingly, both Daisy fans and Waluigi fans are speculating about when it's their turn. But Bowser going first makes sense because he's the main villain of Super Mario Bros. And let's not forget Luigi's Mansion and Super Princess were already a thing.

Though I won't lie, a personal spinoff of her or Waaaaa would be nice.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

And unsurprisingly, both Daisy fans and Waluigi fans are speculating about when it's their turn. But Bowser going first makes sense because he's the main villain of Super Mario Bros. And let's not forget Luigi's Mansion and Super Princess were already a thing.

I remember seeing someone suggest that they bring back Wrecking Crew with Waluigi as the main character, and I always thought that made a lot of sense.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I remember seeing someone suggest that they bring back Wrecking Crew with Waluigi as the main character, and I always thought that made a lot of sense.
Speaking of, where are the Foreman Spike fans? I see people here and there who want Wart and Tatanga to return in a future Mario game, but I never see him get brought up.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Not going to lie, at this point I keep coming back because I just like talking video games with the group more than any dedication to the character. This social thread remained active during the entire time when character threads were locked between DLC ending and the switch. And I'd like to have the character in smash. She's cool enough and there's potential there.

Awesome. Totally down for Bowser game. I wonder how it will work? Will it be a platformer like the Yoshi games, wario land games, or super princess peach?

Will it be an rpg as Bowser has been playable in a few of those (super paper mario, super Mario rpg, Bowser's inside story)?

Even could be an odd puzzler (Yoshi, Yoshi's cookie, captain toad, dr mario, ... I swear Lip in panel de pon is child Daisy...)

Will it be something relatively unique to any usual genre, like Luigi's Mansion (I guess it's a horror/survival game?), or Wario Ware?

Also, on Luigi's Mansion... as Toadette had been playable in captain toad's treasure tracker... how would you all implement a playable Daisy in a Luigi's mansion sequel?

...and how could your Luigi's Mansion Daisy be implemented into Smash as Luigi bears little from that game beyond a final smash.

Speaking of, where are the Foreman Spike fans? I see people here and there who want Wart and Tatanga to return in a future Mario game, but I never see him get brought up.
Many believe he like Booster from Mario RPG got amalgamated into Wario.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Many believe he like Booster from Mario RPG got amalgamated into Wario.
He did serve as inspiration for both Wario and Waluigi iirc, but he's still a separate character. And they did update his design later.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
More like where are the Wrecking Crew fans in general?

Not that I dislike the game since I love the stage and item it introduced to Smash. They would have to make his personality slightly different from Wario if they were to bring him back. They both happen to be big burly greedy ***holes. Maybe give him a bit of a difference like being all about mass destruction compared to him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

That's probably what the rumored Bowser's Minions game is. I hope it's actually about playing as Bowser and not his fodder.

And of course, what's stopping both parties from dreaming about them getting their own game. If I recall, we had many discussions about a possible Daisy game before. Some ideas included puzzle games, platformers, or just another Super Princess Peach follow up.

Not going to lie, at this point I keep coming back because I just like talking video games with the group more than any dedication to the character. This social thread remained active during the entire time when character threads were locked between DLC ending and the switch. And I'd like to have the character in smash. She's cool enough and there's potential there.

Awesome. Totally down for Bowser game. I wonder how it will work? Will it be a platformer like the Yoshi games, wario land games, or super princess peach?

Will it be an rpg as Bowser has been playable in a few of those (super paper mario, super Mario rpg, Bowser's inside story)?

Even could be an odd puzzler (Yoshi, Yoshi's cookie, captain toad, dr mario, ... I swear Lip in panel de pon is child Daisy...)

Will it be something relatively unique to any usual genre, like Luigi's Mansion (I guess it's a horror/survival game?), or Wario Ware?

Also, on Luigi's Mansion... as Toadette had been playable in captain toad's treasure tracker... how would you all implement a playable Daisy in a Luigi's mansion sequel?

...and how could your Luigi's Mansion Daisy be implemented into Smash as Luigi bears little from that game beyond a final smash.
That's if E. Gadd would trust Daisy enough to make her a new Poultergust. Having her a secondary character in a Luigi's Mansion 3 would be cool. But they would have to explain why she has to go to the mansion with him.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's if E. Gadd would trust Daisy enough to make her a new Poultergust. Having her a secondary character in a Luigi's Mansion 3 would be cool. But they would have to explain why she has to go to the mansion with him.
Maybe she's just paying him a visit and happens to be around when King Boo gets his antics going? Or maybe he pays her a visit and King Boo takes over her castle, with a game that takes place in Sarasaland. It wouldn't quite be a mansion to match the title of Luigi's Mansion, but exploring a haunted castle could work imo. Make Luigi's Mansion 3 what Resident Evil 4 was originally going to be. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Maybe she's just paying him a visit and happens to be around when King Boo gets his antics going? Or maybe he pays her a visit and King Boo takes over her castle, with a game that takes place in Sarasaland. It wouldn't quite be a mansion to match the title of Luigi's Mansion, but exploring a haunted castle could work imo. Make Luigi's Mansion 3 what Resident Evil 4 was originally going to be. :p
Sure, that can work.

If there would be any mansions in her kingdom. But where would it be? Chai? Birabuto? Muda? Easton? Some unknown part of Sarasaland that was never seen before?

I want Birdo more then Daisy, i'm just going to leave it at that.
Then that's perfectly fine. We all have our preferences.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That's probably what the rumored Bowser's Minions game is. I hope it's actually about playing as Bowser and not his fodder.

And of course, what's stopping both parties from dreaming about them getting their own game. If I recall, we had many discussions about a possible Daisy game before. Some ideas included puzzle games, platformers, or just another Super Princess Peach follow up.

Hopefully if they do something like that, they don't make it an obvious 'girl power' trope thing.

Maybe have the haunted whatever be in her kingdom, and it stole something from her, and she'd like to get it back herself, but can't because she doesn't have the technology. In comes her on again off again fb, and they kick ghost ass together.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Sure, that can work.

If there would be any mansions in her kingdom. But where would it be? Chai? Birabuto? Muda? Easton? Some unknown part of Sarasaland that was never seen before?

Then that's perfectly fine. We all have our preferences.

Oh, Luigi's Pyramid. King Boo goes mummy mode.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
That's actually a great next step for the series.
Curse of the Boo Mummy gameplay mechanics.

Especially in multiplayer mode.

And if Gadd gives Daisy her own Poltergust, how would it work differently than Luigi's brighter more powerful flashlight but lower turn speed? Greater less cowardly speed, but dimmer flashlight? Special abilities?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh, Luigi's Pyramid. King Boo goes mummy mode.
Now this conversation is going places.

Would the big bad Mummy Boo that Daisy would have to face looks like this?

But obviously more intimidating and less like a Toad.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Curse of the Boo Mummy gameplay mechanics.

Especially in multiplayer mode.

And if Gadd gives Daisy her own Poltergust, how would it work differently than Luigi's brighter more powerful flashlight but lower turn speed? Greater less cowardly speed, but dimmer flashlight? Special abilities?
Daisy doesn't strike me as someone that would get scared easily. So her speed would be a bit greater and won't scream as much as Luigi when surprised by ghosts.

As for abilities, maybe less range and more power with a little harder to control turns. I can see her as that stronger, but harder to master characters in the game. Not sure if her Flower Power would fit since the ghost wouldn't be harmed by them. But that's assuming if her magic is good as Peach's.

Now this conversation is going places.

Would the big bad Mummy Boo that Daisy would have to face looks like this?

But obviously more intimidating and less like a Toad.
Inb4 the game is full of Mummy Toads with useless side missions like Paper Mario.

But a Mummy King Boo would be cool if they still keep that sister part of his look right.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Luigi's Pyramid eh? I guess that's Birabuto then. Maybe have full areas like in the og Luigi's Mansion, but have multiple of them like in Luigi's Mansion 2? One for each section of Sarasaland.

Top Bottom