• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Theater - King Dedede Video Thread

RosieTwoDutch

Smash Rookie
I read a thread that said the D3's at Evo were hype. Videos?

I did not watch EVO while it was happening but I am looking for videos now.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@ shrooby shrooby I saw that Fox match against LarryLurr the other day. Ouch.
Advice:
Don't approach an airborne Fox from above. A skilled Fox will space that upair too well. If Fox is on the ground, feel free to approach. Also from my experience, it's better to force Fox to approach while you both are on playing on the ground. I know it'd be a little tougher with that Blaster custom, but His Majesty gotta punish. You know that.
There is no "let him come to you" in that MU. Especially on a stage like FD.
Fox is dictating the pace of the match more than half the time. He's fast enough to do so. He'll only come in once you mess up. Because he's fast enough to punish just about any of Dedede's moves on reaction.

Unlike, say, Falcon, who is also fast enough to do that, Fox can make you have to be the one to do something first because he has a projectile.

I'm :079:

ZeThundaRippa

Smash Cadet
Maine, you know, the place mistaken for Canada.
NNID
zethundarippa
3DS FC
5129-0353-6718
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2eURREZq0
My match starts at 59:00 where I start fixing my controls.
I'm the guy with a beard using a 3DS as a controller. But yeah, first tourney, lost my first match to a Ganondorf with incredible spacing, managed to win 3 matches in losers, then accidently killed myself two times in the fourth match to a friend.
Apparently we also set a record for the largest Smash Tourney in Maine, 46 I think it was.

edit: when the commentator says "I don't think he meant to do that", I did, it just was out of the ordinary to them I guess.
edit again: they posted to YouTube, easier to watch on than Twitch, so I went ahead and switched out the link and time where it starts.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
That custom really makes that much of a difference, huh? Gross. Do you think it's more effective than say Luigi's Fireball?
It's less about the custom and more just the sheer presence of a semi-spammable projectile.
Like, you can try to camp Fox and let him come to you, but a good Fox knows that he generally has no reason to do so. You'll just get Laser camped until you realize he ain't budging until you play his game. This has always been a part of Fox, really.
It's not really more or less effective than Fireball 'cause I wasn't making that comparison. They're meant for two different things. Fireballs let Luigi approach while Lasers force your opponent to approach. (Assuming they don't have the tools to deal with camping.)

CO18

Smash Hero
Sup boards, just to give a little background on who I am since I just realized how long ago it was and many of you prob weren't in the scene then lol but I was best brawl ddd for around a year, maybe a year and a half or so in my prime in like 2010/11 before I eventually stopped practicing then eventually retired.

Just started playing this game seriously. Only have played for a week now and on 3ds version but played quite a bit lol. Just went to my first tourney yesterday in FL and got 3rd. I lost to Fresh Die Nasty 2-1, a top sheik who got 13th of 512 at CEO, and KDB, a top yoshi who got 25th at CEO and also recently beat nickriddle in a set about a week ago. Yoshi matchup seems pretty hard but then again, only just started getting into smash 4 so still have to learn matchups.

Anyway here's vids for the set vs Fresh Die Nasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZurQKfOBPAY&feature=youtu.be

Note: you'll see me randomly mess up some easy punishes, haven't practiced with a GC controller in years so my tech skill was randomly off, luckily d3 isnt technical.

Anyway I personally don't think DDD is bad in this game, just different, I feel like he's as good as his brawl counterpart and will probably end up around mid/high of mid tier. Once I get a Wii U/start practicing consistently, I feel like I could get similar results with him as I did in brawl. Time will tell though. Anyway hope you enjoy the set

edit: Random stuff, 1. Sheik can dtilt ddd's up+b somehow as you'll see in 3rd game. He has 1 frame to do it according to freshdienasty so the timing is really small/he cant get it consistently but its annoying, not sure if it's common knowledge.

Also last kill in game 1 I did is a solid bait/mix up to get early kills with D3. I did it in brawl, seems more effective in this game, don't know if DDDs dash is quicker or w/e. But stand at ledge with no shield to bait the get up attack, quick dash right--> then dash attack the ending of the get up attack.

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
@ CO18 CO18 Yeah, Yoshi is a pretty awful match up. The egg throw alone is enough to make me want to pull my hair out of my head. Sheik can be pretty awful if you don't know how to approach the situation. 3rd is great though. Did you manage to beat any high-tiers on the way up to 3rd?

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah I beat sonic, that MU seems pretty dumb too. It really tried my patience. Then also plup(best melee sheik's) his sheik. Didn't even know he played this game but that melee skilled carried over lmao he beat me game 1 then I won next 2.
I don't think sheik is any worse than 60:40, I also died to inexperience in some situations. Didn't DI fthrow properly etc and got bouncing fished last stock. Also stupidly tried to gimp him in 2nd game lol. Still getting used to smash 4. But in general without a hard read sheik shouldn't be able to kill you until like 160ish.

I feel like i'll be able to learn the yoshi matchup. Key seemed to be getting in range, right outside his egg lay range but in your ftilt range. It makes it more difficult for him to hit you as you can also ftilt many of his aerial approaches. Also should be spot dodging more than normal vs yoshi and can get some decent punishes when you predict a grab/egg lay. I was learning it as we played and all the games were close. Yoshi has jab--> down b guarnteed on DDD which was pretty dumb. Then DDD of course is combo food and yoshi can kill pretty damn early despite how heavy DDD is. But for me just starting to play this game, feel like I did pretty well and Im optimistic on what ddd can do.
So far I feel like at the highest lvel his 4 worst MU's will be Yoshi/Zss/Megaman/Sonic. Other mu's that would seemingly be bad such as fox/lugi, I don't think are that bad, found a way to play vs them that is pretty effective.

Last edited:

Master Raven

Smash Master
edit: Random stuff, 1. Sheik can dtilt ddd's up+b somehow as you'll see in 3rd game. He has 1 frame to do it according to freshdienasty so the timing is really small/he cant get it consistently but its annoying, not sure if it's common knowledge.
It's a universal attribute that all characters can do. A key thing to keep in mind is that when you get hit by the 1 frame, your jumps reset so you regain your multiple jumps if you get hit in the 1 frame window. I'm glad you're playing this game now and I can't wait to play you when you come down to SFL.

Last edited:

RosieTwoDutch

Smash Rookie
Okay gang, good news and bad news.

The good news... I have Dedede footage!

Bad news... its teams :(

http://www.twitch.tv/ssb914/b/680835804

The first match starts at 38:35 (The first match I went DK, so I start you off on the second match)

The second match starts at 2:10:35

The third match starts at 2:28:00

I plan to provide new footage as on this thread, so your stuck with me. Please let me know if this footage did anything for you, my goal is to contribute to the Smash community in whatever way I can (especially with characters with less developed meta games/ less information on the boards)

See you around the world.

- Rosie

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Even though the tourney mode sucks, at least I can upload my clobbuhing sessions directly instead of the usual russet potato and bendy straw.
Here's a fun match against an actually competent Falcon I met online. He was winning roughly 60% of the time, but man were they good matches. This match was easily the most hype. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/3eMgxme-EIc

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Yeah I beat sonic, that MU seems pretty dumb too. It really tried my patience. Then also plup(best melee sheik's) his sheik. Didn't even know he played this game but that melee skilled carried over lmao he beat me game 1 then I won next 2.
I don't think sheik is any worse than 60:40, I also died to inexperience in some situations. Didn't DI fthrow properly etc and got bouncing fished last stock. Also stupidly tried to gimp him in 2nd game lol. Still getting used to smash 4. But in general without a hard read sheik shouldn't be able to kill you until like 160ish.

I feel like i'll be able to learn the yoshi matchup. Key seemed to be getting in range, right outside his egg lay range but in your ftilt range. It makes it more difficult for him to hit you as you can also ftilt many of his aerial approaches. Also should be spot dodging more than normal vs yoshi and can get some decent punishes when you predict a grab/egg lay. I was learning it as we played and all the games were close. Yoshi has jab--> down b guarnteed on DDD which was pretty dumb. Then DDD of course is combo food and yoshi can kill pretty damn early despite how heavy DDD is. But for me just starting to play this game, feel like I did pretty well and Im optimistic on what ddd can do.
So far I feel like at the highest lvel his 4 worst MU's will be Yoshi/Zss/Megaman/Sonic. Other mu's that would seemingly be bad such as fox/lugi, I don't think are that bad, found a way to play vs them that is pretty effective.
I kinda feel like Rosalina is one of his worst too, though many disagree with me on that. Also glad to see you playing Smash 4, hope I can see some of your sets on youtube so I can learn some stuff!

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ndfd59pSs Match vs. Pikachu, match I had against a platinum ranked pika main on anthers, not my best match (I made a few mistakes such as up b onto the stage once) but overall it was a good match :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaI1eOQqYc Match vs. Diddy Kong, JD's also a Diddy from anthers ladder.

Also if anyone has any advice, please let me know!
A platinum ranked pika main you say. I don't think I saw a single thunder jolt....Congrats on your wins anyway. These matches look like they were on wifi though.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
A platinum ranked pika main you say. I don't think I saw a single thunder jolt....Congrats on your wins anyway. These matches look like they were on wifi though.
Both matches were on Wifi, I said platinum ranked Pika to explain why I posted it. What I will say is he said he wasn't familiar with the MU and did better the next couple games, though he lost them. he went full aggro where as he probably should have stayed back with thunder jolts more. Since my only way of uploading is the smash youtube feature, I'm limited to my latest replays and 3 minutes only sadly. which really limits what I can post just yet

What sucks is that I had a set vs. DK Will which I still have the link to from Twitch, where I won 2-0, but I have no way of getting it onto Youtube. If I have permission to post twice links I will though it's almost 2 months old so it's a bit out dated

Last edited:

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
So many things that you could only get away with on wifi. But good job.
I'll try to get a video of me fighting a known player next time, I understand it's hard to criticize based on fighting on Wifi. Where I live right now there aren't many locals near by so it's hard to get local footage. Thanks though.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I'll try to get a video of me fighting a known player next time, I understand it's hard to criticize based on fighting on Wifi. Where I live right now there aren't many locals near by so it's hard to get local footage. Thanks though.
Oh I wasn't criticising. If I were to criticise....I think you were doing great. I'm the kind of person who plays harder the harder my opponent is, so because that shiek looked soft, I wasn't expecting you to start being frame perfect when you didn't have to.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Oh I wasn't criticising. If I were to criticise....I think you were doing great. I'm the kind of person who plays harder the harder my opponent is, so because that shiek looked soft, I wasn't expecting you to start being frame perfect when you didn't have to.
Now I get what you mean, I definitely agree. Thanks for clarifying btw.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I gotta say I love Smash's new YouTube system. Despite it taking a bit to upload things it allows me to finally share some Vids! I'm actually pretty nervous since it'd be my first time doing so on SmashBoards, but I'm rather curious to see what others think of my King Dedede and what ways I could improve on him. I'm not the greatest but I don't think I do terrible with him either.

FIRST VIDEO: 1V1 SMASH | :4dedede:VS:4ganondorf:
Basically a non-wifi match (no lag, yay!) between me and a friend. I know I goofed up with my little gamble which cost me my first stock, but hey you live and learn right? Sometimes I'm lucky and other times I'm not so lucky...

SECOND VIDEO: 2V2 FOR GLORY | :4dedede::4ganondorf:VS:4littlemac::4wiremac:
As the title implies this one took place on For Glory with me and the same friend from earlier. These Little Macs weren't the best but it was still a pretty good match. We managed to pull off a very nice move on one of them too! (1:25)

That's about it for now. Please let me know what you guys think and what I could do to better show off King Dedede's skills!

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I gotta say I love Smash's new YouTube system. Despite it taking a bit to upload things it allows me to finally share some Vids! I'm actually pretty nervous since it'd be my first time doing so on SmashBoards, but I'm rather curious to see what others think of my King Dedede and what ways I could improve on him. I'm not the greatest but I don't think I do terrible with him either.

FIRST VIDEO: 1V1 SMASH | :4dedede:VS:4ganondorf:
Basically a non-wifi match (no lag, yay!) between me and a friend. I know I goofed up with my little gamble which cost me my first stock, but hey you live and learn right? Sometimes I'm lucky and other times I'm not so lucky...

SECOND VIDEO: 2V2 FOR GLORY | :4dedede::4ganondorf:VS:4littlemac::4wiremac:
As the title implies this one took place on For Glory with me and the same friend from earlier. These Little Macs weren't the best but it was still a pretty good match. We managed to pull off a very nice move on one of them too! (1:25)

That's about it for now. Please let me know what you guys think and what I could do to better show off King Dedede's skills!
One thing I noticed is the lack of grabs, every time you did a nair or fast fall nair on him, you can grab or up tilt immediately after it, and overall grab and f-tilt more in neutral. Also slightly reduce the amount of times you roll and F-Smash. Other than that, don't use across the stage gordo's much if at all (unles when it gets reflected you nair it back), and try to go for more edge guards. There are some other techniques you should try learning too such as B-Reverse inhales, and fast fall up air into grab, ext.

Hope this helped a bit :) Good stuff on your win.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Hello Everyone, i recently got uploaded a match from a tournament i won here in Spain. This is against the best Sonic from our country so i think it's very interesting to see , you could get some ideas in this MU

:4dedede:vs:4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odheeDEwhEc
You made him have to think twice about using Spin Attack.
YOU MADE HIM THINK TWICE ABOUT SPIN ATTACK.
You are a worthy follower of The King.

El_Bardo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-3198-3275
You made him have to think twice about using Spin Attack.
You are a worthy follower of The King.
Hahaha, that's a good summary of what happened. I tried my best to not lose my mind and focus on stop that damn blue ball

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Why isn't there a King Dedede montage called "In the Hall of the Penguin King" yet? That's ****ing genius. The idea practically writes itself. Just imagine it. The slow beginning is Dedede being combo food like normal, but as the music (In the Hall of the Mountain King of course) intensifies, His Majesty performs better and better until he starts landing crazy KOs left and right ending the montage with a flurry of fsmashes, Jet Hammers, and dadlespikes. Somebody make this happen already!

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Hi, King Dedede is officially my main now! I've been trying to find a main since 3DS launch and DDD's just so fun, and I win with him a bunch, I actually took games off people in friendlies, i felt so accomplished, my friend is coming over tomorrow so I'll try and upload some matches here. He mains Little Mac and Marth, albeit he's not very good, like kinda horrible (I've taught him and played with him since launch how has he still not learned a bunch.) Eh, whatever, I'll be more active on this sub-forum though. Alright see ya sometime tomorrow!

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Why isn't there a King Dedede montage called "In the Hall of the Penguin King" yet? That's ****ing genius. The idea practically writes itself. Just imagine it. The slow beginning is Dedede being combo food like normal, but as the music (In the Hall of the Mountain King of course) intensifies, His Majesty performs better and better until he starts landing crazy KOs left and right ending the montage with a flurry of fsmashes, Jet Hammers, and dadlespikes. Somebody make this happen already!
Good **** Jack, I'm gonna say yes to this project and put my amateur godlike editing skills to the test and I will make this happen!

Making a thread now.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Hi, King Dedede is officially my main now! I've been trying to find a main since 3DS launch and DDD's just so fun, and I win with him a bunch, I actually took games off people in friendlies, i felt so accomplished, my friend is coming over tomorrow so I'll try and upload some matches here. He mains Little Mac and Marth, albeit he's not very good, like kinda horrible (I've taught him and played with him since launch how has he still not learned a bunch.) Eh, whatever, I'll be more active on this sub-forum though. Alright see ya sometime tomorrow!
I only got one replay short enough, and it was my worst one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNbkl3JzoI he hates when I grab him and combo him so I was not playing my best at all, and I hate Castle Siege.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Ant critique is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
(RE) Speedy :4dedede: vs (RE) Mr.L :4mario:
Exceptional. It's funny. One of the biggest advantages we have is the enemies' ignorance. They have no idea how to properly combat a good Dedede.

Hello Everyone, i recently got uploaded a match from a tournament i won here in Spain. This is against the best Sonic from our country so i think it's very interesting to see , you could get some ideas in this MU

:4dedede:vs:4sonic:
It's amazing how someone can be deemed "the best" at something when all they do is spam. Congratulations on that victory. It made me happy watching his frustration. Would have loved to see the look on his face. Your solution to spindash is consistent aerial movement so that the initial hit can't send you into Sonic's follow-ups?

Last edited:

El_Bardo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-3198-3275
Hello Fellow DDD's, here i am with another video. This time against the best Rosalina from our country ( Spain ), it was Semi-Finals from the national tourney that held place on June, the previous match i shared against Sonic was Quarter-Finals.

:4dedede:vs:rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kW1yFfQSfs

Last edited:

El_Bardo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-3198-3275
It's amazing how someone can be deemed "the best" at something when all they do is spam. Congratulations on that victory. It made me happy watching his frustration. Would have loved to see the look on his face. Your solution to spindash is consistent aerial movement so that the initial hit can't send you into Sonic's follow-ups?
Regarding the "spam" debate , i don't see a problem if "spamming" one skill made you win, that means your rival is not able to counter this basic strategy and hence not worth of winning the game.

PD: ops Doble post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom