• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy For Brawl Thread: Support Our Boy Roy (Roy Subspace story made in latest post

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If the GC/Wii addtions of Fire Emblem (One of which hasn't been released outside of Japan as of yet so you cannot judge it's sales fully) how on earth is Ike the most popular world-wide lord? I mean if you basing it on sales alone then shouldn't Roy be the most popular lord?

Many fans welcomed and loved the re-introduction of the skills in FE9.

-Knight
Actually, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Marth's second game) and Fire Emblem: Geneology of the Holy War (Sigurd and Celice's game) both sold more than Roy's game in Japan. However, FE10 did not even crack 150K in Japan.

Zevox

Smash Lord
God, what part of Black Knight's chances are high yet he is not the best choice you don't understand?

Of course his chances are high, God a lot of people want him in the game.
Thats the thing - his "chances" are not high, they're nigh nonexistant. He is not anywhere near a highly popular choice for the game, merely an over-hyped one on these boards. I've yet to see any other where his following was more than a cult one (and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't call the following here a cult one). He lacks importance and popularity, and is eclipsed by a large number of other Fire Emblem characters when it comes to worthiness as an SSB representative. The most that can be realistically expected of him is to be a Subspace boss, and perhaps an AT.

Zevox

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Roy f*** ***** all other Fire Emblem characters all day. He was a clone (wrong, he should be original), his range sucked, his grabs suck, he has tons of lag, no spike, and poor recovery. He needs redemption people, REDEMPTION! He needs more range, a bit longer grab, more power, a more effective tipper, more impact, and a spike attack. Definitely. HE NEEDS HIS REVENGE TO SHOW IKE AND MARTH WHAT A REAL SWORDSMEN CAN DO! :)

Roy to return in Brawl. It's only fair. :)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
If the GC/Wii addtions of Fire Emblem (One of which hasn't been released outside of Japan as of yet so you cannot judge it's sales fully) how on earth is Ike the most popular world-wide lord? I mean if you basing it on sales alone then shouldn't Roy be the most popular lord?

Many fans welcomed and loved the re-introduction of the skills in FE9.

-Knight
That's because, well... people just like Ike. :grin: Certainly the FMV presentations helped his image among other things, and he was the first FE Lord that didn't come from nobility, so maybe he was easier to identify with. The games themselves didn't perform very well though - of course in FE9's case that may just owe to the relatively small GC user base (compared to the NES, SNES, and GBA, anyway), but FE10 has no excuse... :ohwell:.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I think the character reps for fire emblem will be Ike, marth, and hector. the reason I say hector is because he weilds a axe, and I havnt seen any axe weilders so far. so his battle style would be unique.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74391
PWNT. Granted he isn't a very popular character on SmashBoards, but among other Smash communities and especially among more casual Smashers, he actually is rather popular, often more so than the top tier Marth.

I'm rather disappointed that everyone is clamoring for ONLY Tellius representatives, which is one of the least interesting Fire Emblem worlds IMO, especially since these characters, Micaiah and the Black Knight, aren't really THAT important as far as the overall series is concerned, even among female leads and villains.
^ WIN!

Maybe I'm more supportive of Black Knight because I like to see the hero and the villain in the roster, I wouldn't know who to put as Ike's villain though.
Black Knight or Roy get the last spot (I'm assuiming FE gets three spots; Ike, Marth, and Roy/the Black Knight). Sigurd is a Ike alternate coustme, Lyn is a AT, Miciah would be stupid advertisement (since her game comes out before Brawl), and Hector...has about as much chance as Sigurd. So that leaves Roy and the Black Knight.

Can we all at least pretty much agree on that=???

Anyways, I think Roy has better chances. He's already in Melee, he is popular in casual play, he's got fanbase from Melee, he is one of the most popular low tier characters, and he is reconizable to smash players as a individual character. He needs to be decloned, however, as Roy is a individual character.

Also, the BK is the villian for 1 1/3rd game, and Roy is the STAR OF A GAME! Roy also is one of the only FE Lords to appear in two games (cameo apperance), and is the first main character of a FE GBA game, where 4 of the games were on. Marth represents FE 1-4 on the NES and SNES (he was on both systems I believe), as well as the FE1 remake on the DS (FE11), Roy FE 5-8, Ike FE 9 & 10. Alll is repped. BK should either be a alterante Roy outfit (IDK how that would work), or even better a important boss character IMO. That would definitely work IMO. Still, if the BK is playable and Roy is not, I won't be THAT MAD. Still...Roy < any other FE character. He needs his revenge! ;)

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Roy I think was the second or third to be in two games. Even then Hector and Eliwood beat himout. They are playable in FE6 as trial map units.

I was playing as Roy last night. I noticed he had a better ^B than Marth because he gets more sweetspot hits than Marth.

NukeA6

Smash Master
You know what? As long as he doesn't replace Marth or Miciah, I'm fine. But he better not be a clone.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I can see how hes more important than Hector myself, since the big lug was rather second banana to Eliwood in Blazing Sword, while Roy was the main star of his. But yeah, Micaiah is pretty well the focus of Radiant Dawn - even Ike is secondary to her ultimately in that one - and Roy just wasn't as well received as her, in spite of the high sales that his advertising campaign got him (honestly, he has more fans from his Melee appearance than his Fire Emblem one).

Zevox
/thread (sarcasm, though it was a very strong point)

Let's face it, kiddies(<---this is not meant as a pejorative figure of speech)---when it comes to FE, I think it is safe to say that the "new" is in and the "old" is out.

Sure, you can ARGUE that the other FE games are the quintessential backbone to the franchise but they are irrelevant. One of the first things Sakurai mentioned pertaining to Brawl was to make the roster have broad appeal. This means that the playable characters are probably going to be immediately recognizable by even the most softcore Nintendo player. Ike's mug has been slathered everywhere, both stateside and over in the Land of the Rising Sun. It was the GC Fire Emblem that really kickstarted the franchise's mainstream attentions to a more international crowd.

...then again, there are Sakurai mindgames to consider. All the deduction in the world can't save the Smash Community from his mercurial nature. Who knows? Maybe Roy and Marth'll pop up somewhere. My guess is no, but...

...I guess we'll have to wait, huh?

Smooth Criminal

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
/thread (sarcasm, though it was a very strong point)

Let's face it, kiddies(<---this is not meant as a pejorative figure of speech)---when it comes to FE, I think it is safe to say that the "new" is in and the "old" is out.

Sure, you can ARGUE that the other FE games are the quintessential backbone to the franchise but they are irrelevant. One of the first things Sakurai mentioned pertaining to Brawl was to make the roster have broad appeal. This means that the playable characters are probably going to be immediately recognizable by even the most softcore Nintendo player. Ike's mug has been slathered everywhere, both stateside and over in the Land of the Rising Sun. It was the GC Fire Emblem that really kickstarted the franchise's mainstream attentions to a more international crowd.

...then again, there are Sakurai mindgames to consider. All the deduction in the world can't save the Smash Community from his mercurial nature. Who knows? Maybe Roy and Marth'll pop up somewhere. My guess is no, but...

...I guess we'll have to wait, huh?

Smooth Criminal
I would be surprised if Marth did not return. I would also be surprised if Roy did return. Let's keep in mind the Fire Emblem content revealed thus far in Brawl:

- Ike: The main protagonist of Path of Radiance, and one of the two protagonists in Radiant Dawn. He is in as a playable character. Unlike Marth, he is slow, heavy, and very powerful.
- Lyn: One of the three protagonists of Blazing Sword. She is in as an Assist Trophy.
- Castle Siege: This stage does not come from an specific installment in the series, but rather represents the series as a whole. If Sakurai was only planning to put characters from Tellius as playable, then the arena would have been a specific location within FE9 or FE10.
- The Fire Emblem symbol is still of Falchion, which is Marth's sword.

So basically we have content from Tellius, Elibe, and Akaneia already in Brawl. Tellius has Ike. Everyone knows that Akaneia's rep will be Marth, seeing as he's the only lord in the Akaneia games and was in Melee. Elibe only has three contenders now since Lyn has been confirmed as an Assist Trophy. Hector is the least popular of the three lords from Blazing Sword in Japan, and is less popular than Lyn in North America where most of Blazing Sword's populairty lies. It would be foolish to replace Roy with Eliwood since Eliwood is basically the same as his son, and the only advantage he has was that his game was released internationally. This makes Roy the de facto playable representative of Elibe, if Sakurai decides to give the continent a playable representative. However, there is a chance that the Fire Emblem series will only have two playable character, which would be Ike and Marth.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
^ I agree.

Although, I kind of disagree with only being 2 playable characters, maybe 3, possibly 4? 4 would be sweet but sort of unlikely.

Still, it would be nice, and maybe 4 characters would be sweet to be representing each of the most popular Fire Emblem's series:

1) Akaneia = Marth
2) Jugdral = Sigurd
3) Elibe = Roy/Hector (one of them)
4) Tellius = Ike

Maybe that would be best. Yes I may sound harsh but i'm not considering FE8's continent, let's face it... FE8 isn't THAT great.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^ I agree.

Although, I kind of disagree with only being 2 playable characters, maybe 3, possibly 4? 4 would be sweet but sort of unlikely.

Still, it would be nice, and maybe 4 characters would be sweet to be representing each of the most popular Fire Emblem's series:

1) Akaneia = Marth
2) Jugdral = Sigurd
3) Elibe = Roy/Hector (one of them)
4) Tellius = Ike

Maybe that would be best. Yes I may sound harsh but i'm not considering FE8's continent, let's face it... FE8 isn't THAT great.
Yeah I think each of the continents with two games (Akaneia, Jugdral, Elibe, and Tellius) should get a rep. Fire Emblem Gaiden (which takes place in Valencia)is regarded as the worst in the series, and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (which takes place in Magvel) is regarded by many to be the worst of the GBA Fire Emblems are the only ones that should be excluded.

I think the most playable reps Fire Emblem is going to get in Brawl is 3.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, I think its interesting to note that Sakurai mentioned in the e-mail section of the Japanese section of the site that Smash Bros. is popular all over the world and that a black man thanked Sakurai for putting Roy in the game, and then went on to say that he cannot just reflect what is popular in Japan for the Brawl roster. Its quite possible that Sakurai thinks Roy is a popular character outside Japan based off of this personal experience, and may boost his chances for not being axed.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
(I love spamming my forward A and regular B moves against "advanced" opponents).

In other words. you're a noob. or atleast somewhat. sorry but only noobs spam roys Neutral B. it makes a great meteor smash but beyond that. it just makes you a noob. in my book atleast.

ROY WAS JUST AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR FE6, like how Ike is just an advertisement for FE10 and Marth is GOING to be an advertisement for FE11 which HAD BETTER show up in America.
Marth isnt going to be -just- an advertisement for FE11. he's from FE1-3 too. making him an original. Like Mario, Link or Samus. even though he isnt as popular in america as they are. He's pretty Friggin popular.

Ike, Micaiah and the Black Knight have Brawl potential, why choose the old ones when there are new and exciting choices.
Thats some faulty logic. we choose the old ones because they're classic. personaly. I'd like to see FE represented throughout the series "Marth being the first and Ike being one of the latest" but really id like a ranged person from fire emblem. maybe not a lord. but a pretty important peep in the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In other words. you're a noob. or atleast somewhat. sorry but only noobs spam roys Neutral B. it makes a great meteor smash but beyond that. it just makes you a noob. in my book.
No I am just talking about single-player mode. I use all of Roy's abilities and moves in multi-player. I just find it funny how even hard opponents in single-player would keep running into Roy's sword of burn/pwn.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
No I am just talking about single-player mode. I use all of Roy's abilities and moves in multi-player. I just find it funny how even hard opponents in single-player would keep running into Roy's sword of burn/pwn.
I like to spam Roy's Counter =/

Specially with characters such as Ganondorf, heh, I like those slow but strong moves.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord

Thats completely diffrent. (no sarcasim). yeah. I love how I can get coms to walk right into bright glowing green mines and whatnot. its funny. sorry i missread.

I like to spam Roy's Counter =/
Roys counter is -way- worse than marth's. its my opinion. feel free to yell at me about it. that and after a while counter can get pretty inafective. -especialy- against people playing as really strong peeps like ganondorf. super awesome throws much?.

and then you have the super fast peoples like fox and falco. super fast lazers and "Swoosh! I just did a cool anime thing where we run at eachother a "Swoosh!" sound happens and one of us dies lololololol". I hit that with a Home-run bat once. or maybe it was ness' smash.. idk. it was fun though ^.^

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Roys counter is -way- worse than marth's. its my opinion. feel free to yell at me about it. that and after a while counter can get pretty inafective. -especialy- against people playing as really strong peeps like ganondorf. super awesome throws much?.

and then you have the super fast peoples like fox and falco. super fast lazers and "Swoosh! I just did a cool anime thing where we run at eachother a "Swoosh!" sound happens and one of us dies lololololol". I hit that with a Home-run bat once. or maybe it was ness' smash.. idk. it was fun though ^.^
In terms of how to use it, Roy's counter is harder to use, yeah.

And well, worse if you Counter only weak moves, but I only abuse of Counter with strong characters or Smash attacks, but I also try to use other moves such as his Forward Smash, Down A (this attack is USEFUL), and others.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Well, I guess this deconfirms the rumor about Sigurd being Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character. Apparently, it is Nabarl from FE3. =/
Heh, funny.

Still, Sigurd is Japan's fav. or maybe Celice... *brain shock* agh! >__<;;

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Ike, Micaiah and the Black Knight have Brawl potential, why choose the old ones when there are new and exciting choices, yeah most people are biased that Roy or Marth were their mains in Melee, like most people are biased (including me) with the Ness and Lucas thing, but frankly I'm beginning to think all old characters are being replaced by the new stars of the series, but yet that trio makes the most sense.

Marth would make sense in returning, Roy wouldn't, and Marth only for the fact that he is the face of Fire Emblem, Sakurai doesn't seem to give a **** though.
Black Knight exciting? Pfft he had to be one of the most boring, dull, generic villians out of FE. At least most people who I know who like FE thinks so.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Black Knight exciting? Pfft he had to be one of the most boring, dull, generic villians out of FE. At least most people who I know who like FE thinks so.
I do. Also, I don't like the Black Knight, way too generic.

The FE series are different from any other Nintendo series, why people doesn't understand that?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
If Elibe was going to get representation I don't think that Lyn would have been an AT. Honestly, I think Fire Emblem will only have two reps again, and it will be Ike and Marth; old and new basically, which was the same as Melee had, regardless of advertisement.

Roy was fresh meat of the FE series, and he was put in Brawl for that reason. Ike is now the fresh meat and has taken that place. Marth is the classic, loved lord of the series and he will be back for that reason, as well as the fact he has starred in more games than any of the other characters.

Now, if by some miracle the series did get a [well deserved] third rep, the biggest issue is not that one of the continents from the series should be represented, but do they want to put emphesis on the classic Fire Emblem (FE5 and older, you could probably count 6, but I am not because the story tied in with 7), or the newer, and more current Fire Emblem, which would be FE 6 and later.

Classic Fire Emblem is generally considered "better" but at the same time, they may want to push recent characters to show what the series has now. It's a very debatable subject.

---------------

Since this topic is about Roy though, I will focus this on him. FE6 did have sales, but beyond sales the game was not as well received as others, including the more recent games like FE9 and 10. A vast majority of Roy's popularity came from Smash Brothers, and not his own FE game. This is his first real problem.

The character is meant to represent the series they are from, and not the character itself. Don't take this wrong, the characters are meant to portray themselves from their games, but they also want proper representation of the series. Without his Melee fanbase, Roy would just be another no name FE lord that would not even be considered.

Also, as I mentioned above, he WAS the "new" of the series. That is why he was added. Roy is no longer new at all, so the whole reason he was put into Melee is a null point that cannot be used for him this time.

Basically, I think Roy is out. But if they do add a third playable rep, it's up in the air whether they would take FE history, or FE of today. That is the biggest question.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
On the subject of Fire Emblem, very interesting information, apparently the Fire Emblem theme on the Dojo was used in the commercial for the first Fire Emblem (which starred Marth). Also it was used again for the commercial for Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals (Roy's game).

Here is a link to the commercial for the first Fire Emblem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2kf1VKM1U

Here is a link to the Sword of Seals commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAJhN5n9nBE

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, here is my analysis of Roy from my Ultimate Probably Playable Characters in Brawl analysis topic (I added it to the first post in this topic as well):

Roy was the lord and main protagonist of Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals. Roy was the second playable Fire Emblem character. Roy was used to help promote Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals, which was not released until four months after Melee’s Japanese release. Roy became an instant favorite among Smash fans and thought he was much cooler than “girly” Marth. However, with the rise of tiers and professional play, Roy has become unpopular with professional and elite Smash Bros. players. Roy is also disliked by hardcore Fire Emblem fans, and many fans felt his game went several steps back, especially compared to FE4 and FE5. However, Roy still remains a popular character among casual Smash Bros. players, and there are some hardcore Smash players that prefer his play style over Marth’s. However, Roy’s chances of returning are not high, especially considering that he is not that popular over in Japan. As a matter of fact, Roy is more likely to be axed than to return to Brawl as a playable character. However, there might be a small silver lining of hope for Roy fans. Sakurai could be under the impression that Roy is a popular character outside Japan. In his blog on the old Japanese Brawl site, Sakurai mentioned that a black man thanked him for putting Roy in the game, and then went on to say he cannot just place in characters that are only popular in Japan, especially considering that Smash Bros. is popular all over the world. If Sakurai thinks that cutting Roy would upset his non-Japanese fanbase, then Roy may go on to fight another day in Brawl. However, Roy is still more likely to be cut than return if he is not under this impression (of Roy being well-liked outside Japan) and he forgets about this personal experience with the black Roy fan while developing Brawl.

Here is a link to the entire topic if you liked what you just read:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=124098

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
i do also, he seems like those BK rando enemies you fight in any rpg game... but i have to admit that a bit cooler. Still even his name is generic :S

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I use Roy a lot more than I use Marth. :)

I hope he's back.. but I'll be frank. The only reason I use him is (pretty stupid reason) cause he reminds me of CRONO. :p And because I like his aerial agility.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I use Roy a lot more than I use Marth. :)

I hope he's back.. but I'll be frank. The only reason I use him is (pretty stupid reason) cause he reminds me of CRONO. :p And because I like his aerial agility.
Yeah, Roy reminds me a lot of Crono physically as well. =)

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
pls! bring roy jesus he was my main for so long until i became marth cuz marth was better!

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
If Elibe was going to get representation I don't think that Lyn would have been an AT. Honestly, I think Fire Emblem will only have two reps again, and it will be Ike and Marth; old and new basically, which was the same as Melee had, regardless of advertisement.

Roy was fresh meat of the FE series, and he was put in Brawl for that reason. Ike is now the fresh meat and has taken that place. Marth is the classic, loved lord of the series and he will be back for that reason, as well as the fact he has starred in more games than any of the other characters.

Now, if by some miracle the series did get a [well deserved] third rep, the biggest issue is not that one of the continents from the series should be represented, but do they want to put emphesis on the classic Fire Emblem (FE5 and older, you could probably count 6, but I am not because the story tied in with 7), or the newer, and more current Fire Emblem, which would be FE 6 and later.

Classic Fire Emblem is generally considered "better" but at the same time, they may want to push recent characters to show what the series has now. It's a very debatable subject.
Lyn... to represent Elibe? She's an unlogic filler character, why in world would she be a Playable Character? Being the first Lord in America? Nah. I'd prefer Eliwood or Hector.

I agree with your next point, but FE4 also counts, being the most popular FE game.

FE6 returned to the original gameplay, FE veterans sure liked the game, i'm sure.

Since this topic is about Roy though, I will focus this on him. FE6 did have sales, but beyond sales the game was not as well received as others, including the more recent games like FE9 and 10. A vast majority of Roy's popularity came from Smash Brothers, and not his own FE game. This is his first real problem.

The character is meant to represent the series they are from, and not the character itself. Don't take this wrong, the characters are meant to portray themselves from their games, but they also want proper representation of the series. Without his Melee fanbase, Roy would just be another no name FE lord that would not even be considered.

Also, as I mentioned above, he WAS the "new" of the series. That is why he was added. Roy is no longer new at all, so the whole reason he was put into Melee is a null point that cannot be used for him this time.

Basically, I think Roy is out. But if they do add a third playable rep, it's up in the air whether they would take FE history, or FE of today. That is the biggest question.
In Japan-terms, FE9 got lower sales than FE7 actually, and FE7's sales are lower than FE5's... or vice-versa. But that's right, still i'm sure that the FE veterans liked his game, specially by that hard mode, ouch.

FE6 was a very well sold game, and even with his Melee fanbase, he was not popular enough as Marth, that's a thing. Roy's game would had been liked even without Melee. Why would you buy a game just by the character? Fire Emblem was in kind of fanbase problems though, but the problems weren't so high, just a bit of problems compared to FE4 and FE3, FE6 kind of saved it, but FE7 and forward is kind of making it hard again.

New? I think a new character being in such a very popular game is not the best idea, and yes, Ike has his time around: 2 years. Roy's advertising was decent, helped Nintendo. I think Nintendo should thank that.

Maybe, but I say that Roy can still return, but he got bigger problems to return, maybe his fanbase will bring him back (both Melee and FE fanbase, fanbase is fanbase anyways, right?)

Smash Ace
This is one of the threads I've been searching for. youm might know me as Mr. Doc&Roy4Brawl. therefore, hales yeah. Roy FTW over Marth
=2007=

Top Bottom