• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy For Brawl Thread: Support Our Boy Roy (Roy Subspace story made in latest post

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Micaiah = First female light mage lord on the Wii console.

What you provided isn't it not convincing poof proving why Micaiah does not stand out.

-Knight
Fail.

Applying that logic Sigurd should be given a badge of distinction for:

spoilers:
-
-
-
-
Being the first lord to die in his own game.

And Leaf should be honored for being the only Lord with brown hair.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Thats a matter of opinion, not a serious reason for the Black Knight to be playable.

Zevox
However, it's a very good opinion. Black Knight can be the playable villain and that other guy can be the boss in SE...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ike never fights Medeus so that wouldn't make sense
Marth will most likely be returning. He's been in more games than Ike, and was in Melee.

Also spoilers:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Dragons are the traditional final boss in a Fire Emblem game. They were the final boss in FE1, FE2, FE3, FE4 (technically speaking the soul of an evil Dragon was possessing the final boss), FE6, and FE7. Therefore, a dragon (the most famous of which is Medeus) would be the best candidate for a Fire Emblem boss.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Fail.

Applying that logic Sigurd should be given a badge of distinction for:

spoilers:
-
-
-
-
Being the first lord to die in his own game.

And Leaf should be honored for being the only Lord with brown hair.
You hit the nail on the head. Which is why stating why Roy being the first lord on the GBA is stupid. That should be the reason why he should be included in Brawl, because he was the first GBA lord? That isn't even notable; you still haven't proven/shown why Roy is more important than Micaiah.

-Knight

Zevox

Smash Lord
Ike never fights Medeus so that wouldn't make sense
Then again, Kirby never fights Petey outside of Brawl either. Medeus would make a good Subspace opponent, working alongside the Subspace Minister to further his own ends and encountering Marth and Ike (and others perhaps) in the process. Personally I think a fight with a Dragon would suit Fire Emblem's representation in Subspace Emissary more than one with the Black Knight (*points to ChronoBound's post on the matter*). Of course, if SE is large enough, both could potentially work out, but thats another story altogether.

PsychoIncarnate said:
However, it's a very good opinion.
That in and of itself is another opinion. Opinions are not objective reasons for characters to be playable, they're just personal views on the matter.

Zevox

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You hit the nail on the head. Which is why stating why Roy being the first lord on the GBA is stupid. That should be the reason why he should be included in Brawl, because he was the first GBA lord? That isn't even notable.

-Knight
Even if you did have a point, Micaiah would not be a better character because she hails from the same continent as Ike, and as any Fire Emblem expert will tell, Ike plays top fiddle there. A character from one of the other two continents that had two games (Jugdral and Elibe) should get the third Fire Emblem spot. Unfortunately, everyone thinks just because Ike was the only Fire Emblem character confirmed as playable, that all the other playable characters will hail from Tellius.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Then again, Kirby never fights Petey outside of Brawl either. Medeus would make a good Subspace opponent, working alongside the Subspace Minister to further his own ends and encountering Marth and Ike (and others perhaps) in the process. Personally I think a fight with a Dragon would suit Fire Emblem's representation in Subspace Emissary more than one with the Black Knight (*points to ChronoBound's post on the matter*). Of course, if SE is large enough, both could potentially work out, but thats another story altogether.

That in and of itself is another opinion. Opinions are not objective reasons for characters to be playable, they're just personal views on the matter.

Zevox
However, you can choose either Kirby OR Mario to fight him and Mario does. Of course a Dragon would work best AS A BOSS...who said Black Knight can't be fought as well? He is a villain and instead of a Boss battle, you could fight him as a regular battle

raul

Smash Lord
Because playing as a villain is fun and playing as a hero is boring
I actually don' think this is too far from the truth. Rather, their has been a surge in games where you can play as hero, villian or both. Examples are Sonic Heros, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Star Wars the Sith Lords, a more recent game that has not been released yet is Star Wars Masters of the Force (or something along those lines). I think people enjoy playing a game from a different perspective. You have to remember without bad guys there are no good guys. In fact without the perception evil, there can be no such things as heroes. We've noticed the demand for King Dedede, K. Rool, the Black Knight, Gannondorf, Bowser, Wario, Wolf, etc.

And yes some of those games are RPG's, but the idea is the same. People for some reason like to play the villians. They can have interesting back stories as to how they became evil and twisted. And a new twist on things can be fun.

Zevox

Smash Lord
However, you can choose either Kirby OR Mario to fight him and Mario does. Of course a Dragon would work best AS A BOSS...who said Black Knight can't be fought as well? He is a villain and instead of a Boss battle, you could fight him as a regular battle
Refer back to my first post about the Black Knight - he really has no good reason to be playable. Just being a villain means nothing, especially since hes not even a primary villain, but a sub-plot and support one.

Zevox

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Even if you did have a point, Micaiah would not be a better character because she hails from the same continent as Ike, and as any Fire Emblem expert will tell, Ike plays top fiddle there. A character from one of the other two continents that had two games (Jugdral and Elibe) should get the third Fire Emblem spot. Unfortunately, everyone thinks just because Ike was the only Fire Emblem character confirmed as playable, that all the other playable characters will hail from Tellius.
Micaiah's importance to Radiant Dawn it not so little she's to be regulated to a side character to the plot; it can be argued that her importance to Radiant Dawn is equal or more than Ike's importance. Again you bring up the Ike vs Micaiah thing which has nothing to do with how Roy is more important than Micaiah.

-Knight

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Micaiah's importance to Radiant Dawn it not so little she's to be regulated to a side character to the plot; it can be argued that her importance to Radiant Dawn is equal or more than Ike's importance. Again you bring up the Ike vs Micaiah thing which has nothing to do with how Roy is more important than Micaiah.

-Knight

Your answer had no relevance to my response, please take your Micaiah love/enthusiasm to the Micaiah-thread, and please leave this topic, as I intended for it to be about Roy and not a stupid flame war.

As a I said on the continent of Tellius:

Ike>Micaiah

Each continent should only have 1 representative.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Your answer had no relevance to my response, please take your Micaiah love/enthusiasm to the Micaiah-thread, and please leave this topic, as I intended for it to be about Roy and not a stupid flame war.

As a I said on the continent of Tellius:

Ike>Micaiah
None of your statements have answered my question. Honestly did you really think you could have a thread where only people who agreed with your opinion would post?

Also if each contient should only have on rep, then I'm sorry Roy doesn't stand a chance against the likes of Sigurd. I don't see Fire Emblem getting more than 3 reps.

-Knight

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Roy shouldn't return, he's not important in any way, shape, or form. Marth is more of a representative for FE than him. Marth is also about to get another game. At least Takamaru is Nintendo's first samurai.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

-Knight
None of your statements have answered my question. Honestly did you really think you could have a thread where only people who agreed with your opinion would post?

Also if each contient should only have on rep, then I'm sorry Roy doesn't stand a chance against the likes of Sigurd. I don't see Fire Emblem getting more than 3 reps.

-Knight

I would gladly take Sigurd over Roy, however, the white costume of Ike looks a bit like Siggy's color scheme.

Personally, I would take any lord from Jugdral or Elibe, its just that Roy has the best chances out of anyone from Elibe, and if Sigurd is out because of this costume, Roy also has a better chance than anyone from Jugdral.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Ike, Micaiah and the Black Knight have Brawl potential, why choose the old ones when there are new and exciting choices, yeah most people are biased that Roy or Marth were their mains in Melee, like most people are biased (including me) with the Ness and Lucas thing, but frankly I'm beginning to think all old characters are being replaced by the new stars of the series, but yet that trio makes the most sense.

Marth would make sense in returning, Roy wouldn't, and Marth only for the fact that he is the face of Fire Emblem, Sakurai doesn't seem to give a **** though.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Ike, Micaiah and the Black Knight have Brawl potential, why choose the old ones when there are new and exciting choices, yeah most people are biased that Roy or Marth were their mains in Melee, like most people are biased (including me) with the Ness and Lucas thing, but frankly I'm beginning to think all old characters are being replaced by the new stars of the series, but yet that trio makes the most sense.

Marth would make sense in returning, Roy wouldn't, and Marth only for the fact that he is the face of Fire Emblem, Sakurai doesn't seem to give a **** though.
BK has Boss pontencial. He would suck as a character. He can't jump.

Roy is axed by IKe. However, Lucas means nothing.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Ike, Micaiah and the Black Knight have Brawl potential, why choose the old ones when there are new and exciting choices
Because the old ones are just as exciting, as shown by their superior popularity overall (Marth and Sigurd are more popular than any FE character save Ike alone in Japan). Being new doesn't make them better as characters or as representatives for SSB. Indeed, the fact that having just those three would mean that only a very small portion of a diverse franchise would be represented is a very good reason why that would be a bad set of choices for the series.

Fire Emblem isn't like any other Nintendo franchise. Its stories and characters shift with almost every game, and thus it can't be appropriately represented just by characters from one set of its games. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc can use guys like DK, Link, and Mario and be representing the entire series perfectly with just a character or two because those characters are constants throughout the series. Fire Emblem cannot do that, and thus its important to make sure that its representatives come from a variety of its games, not all the same ones.

vesperview said:
Sakurai doesn't seem to give a **** though.
And why would you think that? Marth was the primary FE rep in Melee, was he not? And theres nothing stopping from being in Brawl, is there? Clearly, Sakurai is listening to the fans - we have evidence aplenty of that in Sonic, Diddy, Pit, Metaknight, and Ike. He most certainly does care.

Zevox

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Just the fact that Roy didn't have a thread before this proves how unpopular he is.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74391
PWNT. Granted he isn't a very popular character on SmashBoards, but among other Smash communities and especially among more casual Smashers, he actually is rather popular, often more so than the top tier Marth.

I'm rather disappointed that everyone is clamoring for ONLY Tellius representatives, which is one of the least interesting Fire Emblem worlds IMO, especially since these characters, Micaiah and the Black Knight, aren't really THAT important as far as the overall series is concerned, even among female leads and villains.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Because the old ones are just as exciting, as shown by their superior popularity overall (Marth and Sigurd are more popular than any FE character save Ike alone in Japan). Being new doesn't make them better as characters or as representatives for SSB. Indeed, the fact that having just those three would mean that only a very small portion of a diverse franchise would be represented is a very good reason why that would be a bad set of choices for the series.

Fire Emblem isn't like any other Nintendo franchise. Its stories and characters shift with almost every game, and thus it can't be appropriately represented just by characters from one set of its games. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc can use guys like DK, Link, and Mario and be representing the entire series perfectly with just a character or two because those characters are constants throughout the series. Fire Emblem cannot do that, and thus its important to make sure that its representatives come from a variety of its games, not all the same ones.

And why would you think that? Marth was the primary FE rep in Melee, was he not? And theres nothing stopping from being in Brawl, is there? Clearly, Sakurai is listening to the fans - we have evidence aplenty of that in Sonic, Diddy, Pit, Metaknight, and Ike. He most certainly does care.

Zevox
So basically you want all Fire Emblem leads that have existed just so that the series is well represented?

Chances are Sakurai will only focus on Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, just like he seems to be focusing only on Mother 3 rather than Earthbound or Mother 1, only time will tell if the old ones will return, plus you have to take into consideration that Smash is not just a game where the developers put the most loved characters, they also put characters for publicity reasons, thus Roy, Micaiah being in a game from the Wii has more of a chance as well as Black Knight has a chance of being playable due to Ike's appearance.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
My perfect Fire Emblem roaster would be.

1. Marth- The legendary icon of the series, the first lord.
2. Ike- The most popular world-wide lord.
3. Micaiah- Roy 2.0;advertises FE10 to those outside of Japan. as well as being entirely unique from any other Fire Emblem character.

-Knight

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Zevox
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74391
PWNT. Granted he isn't a very popular character on SmashBoards, but among other Smash communities and especially among more casual Smashers, he actually is rather popular, often more so than the top tier Marth.

I'm rather disappointed that everyone is clamoring for ONLY Tellius representatives, which is one of the least interesting Fire Emblem worlds IMO, especially since these characters, Micaiah and the Black Knight, aren't really THAT important as far as the overall series is concerned, even among female leads and villains.
Finally, two people who have a grasp on how the Fire Emblem series works. Also, many of the Marth naysayers are being intentionally oblivious to FE11, of which Marth is going to be the main hero.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My perfect Fire Emblem roaster would be.

1. Marth- The legendary icon of the series, the first lord.
2. Ike- The most popular world-wide lord.
3. Micaiah- Roy 2.0;advertises FE10 to those outside of Japan. as well as being entirely unique from any other character on the brawl roaster.

-Knight
The main problem is that Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn will have been out for over three months. If there's anybody who will be the "promotion lord", it will be Marth because of FEDS.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
If anything I would say Roy's game was somewhat of the downside in Fire Emblem's history. After having the unique arsenal of skills in both FE4 and FE5 fans of the series were greeted with a watered down verison of Fire Emblem.

How is Roy important to the entire Fire Emblem franchise?

-Knight

Zevox

Smash Lord
So basically you want all Fire Emblem leads that have existed just so that the series is well represented?
Of course not - I'm well aware that three is the maximum that can reasonably be expected. I'm saying only that excluding most of the series in favor of the most recent games' characters is both arbitrary and foolish.

vesperview said:
Chances are Sakurai will only focus on Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn
Evidence? I see no reason to believe this.

vesperview said:
plus you have to take into consideration that Smash is not just a game where the developers put the most loved characters, they also put characters for publicity reasons
Truth, which is why Micaiah is possible, being the poster-girl for Radiant Dawn. It does not, however, make her the best choice, nor does it do anything for the Black Knight.

vesperview said:
as Black Knight has a chance of being playable due to Ike's appearance.
Ike's appearance does nothing for the Black Knight, save perhaps give him a shot at being a Subspace boss. He has absolutely no good reason to be playable, especially over characters like Marth or Sigurd.

Zevox

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

Chances are Sakurai will only focus on Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, just like he seems to be focusing only on Mother 3 rather than Earthbound or Mother 1, only time will tell if the old ones will return, plus you have to take into consideration that Smash is not just a game where the developers put the most loved characters, they also put characters for publicity reasons, thus Roy, Micaiah being in a game from the Wii has more of a chance as well as Black Knight has a chance of being playable due to Ike's appearance.
Focusing on a particular entry of a series does not necessarily mean that it will be the only one featured either. Remember, he also has the long time fans to consider, who'd probably get pretty pissed if only one of the least popular arcs of their beloved series got represented... There's a reason they went back to the first installment for Fire Emblem DS y'know...

vesperview

Smash Hero
I don't have evidence that Sakurai is focusing on Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, if he is cutting Ness (a veteran from the first Smash)for Lucas it would seem logical to cut Marth for Ike, of course that's just me drawing conclusions which could be very wrong.

and Black Knight being the villain of Path Of Radiance does raise his chances, doesn't mean he is the best choice.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
The main problem is that Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn will have been out for over three months. If there's anybody who will be the "promotion lord", it will be Marth because of FEDS.
Perhaps, though I don't see the problem with a Fire Emblem addition that would bolster sales of Radiant Dawn even more and be a very unique character addition as well. Also what date does FEDS come out?

-Knight

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't have evidence that Sakurai is focusing on Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, if he is cutting Ness (a veteran from the first Smash)for Lucas it would seem logical to cut Marth for Ike, of course that's just me drawing conclusions which could be very wrong.

and Black Knight being the villain of Path Of Radiance does raise his chances, doesn't mean he is the best choice.
Uh, Ashnard was the main villain of Path of Radiance. Black Knight was just one of his goons in that game.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
If anything I would say Roy's game was somewhat of the downside in Fire Emblem's history. After having the unique arsenal of skills in both FE4 and FE5 fans of the series were greeted with a watered down verison of Fire Emblem.

How is Roy important to the entire Fire Emblem franchise?

-Knight
I think the downside of the series tends more to be the GC/Wii entries of the series than the GBA installments (seems like the GC era was the downside for a lot of series... :ohwell: ) I believe PoR and RD actually sold less than the GBA titles in Japan if you could believe that...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Perhaps, though I don't see the problem with a Fire Emblem addition that would bolster sales of Radiant Dawn even more and be a very unique character addition as well. Also what date does FEDS come out?

-Knight
Probably the first quarter of 2008 in Japan. Remember, Roy's game was released more than four months after Melee's Japanese release.

Zevox

Smash Lord
To begin with, we don't know for certain if Ness is being cut. Additionally, if he is, we do know why - Sakurai announced on the old Melee site that Lucas was always his intended Mother character for the series since the original, but that Ness was put in due to the delays in Lucas' game. Theres no reason to assume any connection between that and Fire Emblem's representation, especially when you consider that the Mother/Earthbound series doesn't change universes between its games and is much smaller than the Fire Emblem series.

vesperview said:
and Black Knight being the villain of Path Of Radiance does raise his chances.
No, it doesn't. Being a villain of Ike's games is not a reason for Black Knight to be playable, any more than being the villain of Marth's is a reason for Garnef or Medeus to be playable. Again, the Black Knight is an ultimately unimportant secondary villain in both of his games, doesn't even boast as much popularity as some less important characters from his own games (see: Soren), much less from the series as a whole, and is unnecessary as Ike already represents his corner of the Fire Emblem saga much better than the Black Knight could and Micaiah would make a better Radiant Dawn add. There is no good reason for him to be playable whatsoever.

Zevox

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I think the downside of the series tends more to be the GC/Wii entries of the series than the GBA installments (seems like the GC era was the downside for a lot of series... :ohwell: ) I believe PoR and RD actually sold less than the GBA titles in Japan if you could believe that...
If the GC/Wii addtions of Fire Emblem (One of which hasn't been released outside of Japan as of yet so you cannot judge it's sales fully) how on earth is Ike the most popular world-wide lord? I mean if you basing it on sales alone then shouldn't Roy be the most popular lord?

Many fans welcomed and loved the re-introduction of the skills in FE9.

-Knight

Top Bottom