• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy For Brawl Thread: Support Our Boy Roy (Roy Subspace story made in latest post

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
... no Ephraim vs. Lyon?? :tear::cry:
Um, I'm sorry but FE8 is the second most hated Fire Emblem in Japan, and it is the least liked outside Japan. However, I think Ephraim will show up in some form in Brawl, the most he can hope would be an Assist Trophy.

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to nitpick, but you forgot the "makeranai" at the end of Roy's Japanese quote.

Anyway, the first post looks pretty dang good now.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
lol sakurai will be in tears if he sees it haha its just so cool now and i remember in the beggining of the thread there were a few people and we had to deal with a huge flock of antiroys i thought the thread was gonna close but it didnt

NukeA6

Smash Master
Heh.

Now i'm wondering, what kind of role would the other FE characters that can get in (Marth, Sigurd, Roy, etc) would have?

Maybe some kind of alliance with Ike or something?
They would fight Ridley.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, I would to inform you all that thanks to your help, I got nominated for Most Intelligent in the Forum Awards. I thank everyone who voted for with much thanks and gratitude. Also, vesperview made this awesome sig for me, so please be sure to vote for him in Most Sarcastic.

Click here to vote for ChronoBound for Most Intelligent in the forum awards: http://smashboards.com/votingbooth.php

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
All I can say is that Roy's chances of getting in are nill, unless he's renamed and remodeled into Eliwood.
Roy is very popular among casual Smash Bros. fans, even in Japan. As a matter of fact, one of the first entries of Sakurai's poll was somebody begging Sakurai to bring back Bowser and Roy. Sakurai himself uses Roy as an example of a character that is popular among non-Japanese Smash fans, and later goes on to say that he simply can't place in characters that are only liked in Japan. However, we all know that Roy's chances of returning are not good, but that does not mean we can't hope for his return and make possible movesets for him (he can very well be decloned, just read the opening post to this topic).

Let's face it - FE6 sold worse than FE7 and most of the FEs before it in Japan. Roy was only put in as a promotion for that game, and the fact of the matter is that Eliwood would have the strength of Roy that everyone loves and also be much more popular outside of Japan than Roy would be, especially when the resemblance to Roy would make them realize that Eliwood is basically Roy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let's face it - FE6 sold worse than FE7 and most of the FEs before it in Japan. Roy was only put in as a promotion for that game, and the fact of the matter is that Eliwood would have the strength of Roy that everyone loves and also be much more popular outside of Japan than Roy would be, especially when the resemblance to Roy would make them realize that Eliwood is basically Roy.
Much of what you said could be true. However, in Japan, Roy's game (FE6) was the third-highest selling Fire Emblem, with the only two selling more being FE3 and FE4, which is no small feat to say the least.

Source?

Regardless, if Sakurai wants to give a character with more English appeal, why would they pick a character only popular to Japanese gamers and English Smashers? English Smashers would get a character that is pretty much Roy but more recognizable to anyone who's played FE on GBA, and everyone in Japan knows him. There's no point in using a "retired" character over a milestone character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Source?

Regardless, if Sakurai wants to give a character with more English appeal, why would they pick a character only popular to Japanese gamers and English Smashers? English Smashers would get a character that is pretty much Roy but more recognizable to anyone who's played FE on GBA, and everyone in Japan knows him. There's no point in using a "retired" character over a milestone character.
Well, this has also pretty much become the Eliwood support thread (I might change the title to this topic to the Eliwood support thread, if Roy does end up being deconfirmed via a future update) as well, and many Roy fans would not mind if Eliwood did replace Roy (though there are some that would be upset). However, this is first and foremost the Roy support topic.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
FE6 sold better, far better, than any of the other Fire Emblems after it in Japan. And yeah it sold fewer copies the FE3 and FE4 but... they're FE3 and FE4 of course they'll be the two highest selling games in the series.

And no. You seem to be one of those idiots who thinks just because Eliwood looks like Roy that they'll fight the same. That is absolutely not true. Even in their Lord forms they are pretty different from each other. Now when you look at their promoted forms, Master Lord for Roy and Knight Lord for Eliwood, they are so far apart it isn't funny. And guess what, we can deduce that Roy is a Master Lord in SSBM because of his weapon being the Sword of Seals, the weapon that promotes him.

So no, Eliwood is no "basically" Roy.

Source?

Here is your source: http://vgchartz.com/japtotals.php?name=Fire+Emblem&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

As I said above, Eliwood is not "pretty much" Roy. They look similar, because they're family, and that is all.

You act like none of the English FE players like Roy.

Oh and Eliwood is not really that popular.

And why is Roy a "retired" character and not a milestone character? I take it that being the character that brought FE to handhelds and gave a basis for FE7 means absolutely nothing to you. Roy is more of a milestone than any of the Lords in FE7.

*facepalm* Great source. Someone who I've already debated and made to look like a complete inbred moron for posting shipment figures as sales figures.

And no duh, Eliwood would be different. There is absolutely no way he'd get in and feature Marth's moveset. It would, however, still be the same concept.

Roy appeals to Smash fans and Japanese gamers only. At what point should Roy get in over Eliwood, when Eliwood would appeal to a much, much greater group than Roy would?

And why? Because Roy hasn't been used since FE6 besides a small appearance in a later FE, and being on a handheld first is no different from being on the Super Famicom first. Eliwood is a milestone because he, along with Lyn and Hector, is the first Lord to be introduced through FE to English gamers.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
*facepalm* Great source. Someone who I've already debated and made to look like a complete inbred moron for posting shipment figures as sales figures.

And no duh, Eliwood would be different. There is absolutely no way he'd get in and feature Marth's moveset. It would, however, still be the same concept.

Roy appeals to Smash fans and Japanese gamers only. At what point should Roy get in over Eliwood, when Eliwood would appeal to a much, much greater group than Roy would?

And why? Because Roy hasn't been used since FE6 besides a small appearance in a later FE, and being on a handheld first is no different from being on the Super Famicom first. Eliwood is a milestone because he, along with Lyn and Hector, is the first Lord to be introduced through FE to English gamers.
If you have a qualm with Roy fans, please leave this topic. However, if you are an Eliwood fan I welcome you to this topic and look foward to your future contributions, please just realize that you need to respect the Roy fans who come here. Feel free to contribute Eliwood moveset ideas and how he would work in Brawl in this topic, however, please don't keep putting down Roy in this topic.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Roy appeals to fire emblem fans and smash fans. Eliwood appeals to fire emblem fans.

Roy is WAY more well known then eliwood to.

To English FE fans, Roy is little known. If they haven't played Smash, they wouldn't know him as well as Smash fans would.

What would be so wrong with picking Eliwood? He has worldwide appeal without Smash, he's a milestone character as being the first English Lord, and he has more moveset potential.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To English FE fans, Roy is little known. If they haven't played Smash, they wouldn't know him as well as Smash fans would.

What would be so wrong with picking Eliwood? He has worldwide appeal without Smash, he's a milestone character as being the first English Lord, and he has more moveset potential.
Nothing is wrong with Eliwood. The Knights of Elibe support both Roy and Eliwood. However, what you are doing is annoying some of the Roy fans who are coming here. Eliwood has some advantages over Roy, and vice versa.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace

An english FE fan who hasn't heard of smash. Lol.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice

Good for him. Those are sales figures. Japan's version of the NPD puts out weekly sales numbers and thats where those numbers came from.

Where is this same concept? I can't really see it as the two would be that different from each other.

Roy would get in over Eliwood when you realize other than bringing FE outside of Japan, although you can credit Marth and Roy with that as well, Eliwood has absolutely nothing going for him.

You do realize you just noted every Lord, with the exception of Marth and Ike, right there don't you? The majority of the characters never make it through more than one game.

I'd like to see how you're backing your claim that being on a handheld first is no different from being on the SNES first. FE6 penetrated an entirely new market for Fire Emblem, and don't fool yourself the handheld market is a completely diffferent market. And as I said above, that is literally all Eliwood, along with Lyn and Hector, have going for them.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Good for him. Those are sales figures. Japan's version of the NPD puts out weekly sales numbers and thats where those numbers came from.

Where is this same concept? I can't really see it as the two would be that different from each other.

Roy would get in over Eliwood when you realize other than bringing FE outside of Japan, although you can credit Marth and Roy with that as well, Eliwood has absolutely nothing going for him.

You do realize you just noted every Lord, with the exception of Marth and Ike, right there don't you? The majority of the characters never make it through more than one game.

I'd like to see how you're backing your claim that being on a handheld first is no different from being on the SNES first. FE6 penetrated an entirely new market for Fire Emblem, and don't fool yourself the handheld market is a completely diffferent market. And as I said above, that is literally all Eliwood, along with Lyn and Hector, have going for them.

Hey didn't Marth only appear in one game and the other NES one was a remake and the upcoming DS one is a remake? I forgot.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
Hey didn't Marth only appear in one game and the other NES one was a remake and the upcoming DS one is a remake? I forgot.
Marth appeared in FE1(for the NES), FE3(contained a remake of FE1 and a completely new part which was the actual FE3 for the SNES, and he is appearing in FE:DS which as far as we know is a remake of FE1 but it might be a remake of FE3.

For Heaven's sake, shipment figures are SHIPMENT FIGURES.

They are not sales figures, not ever will they be considered sales figures. Shipment figures do not necessary show how many copies a game sold to people.

Bringing FE out of Japan is a pretty big thing. All Mario did was bring Nintendo out of Japan.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace

They are not sales figures, not ever will they be considered sales figures. Shipment figures do not necessary show how many copies a game sold to people.

Bringing FE out of Japan is a pretty big thing. All Mario did was bring Nintendo out of Japan.
It was Marth and Roy who actually brought FE out of Japan.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I am not denying Eliwood's contributions to Fire Emblem in regards for being the true hero of the first Fire Emblem to leave Japan (Lyn was only the hero of a tutorial, and Hector's mode only comes after beating Eliwood's, and is similar Eliwood's Story for much of it). However, Roy also helped increase interest among North American gamers (along with Marth) to get the series to leave Japan. Also, Eliwood could very well get in before Roy just by virtue of being in a more recent installment (like with Lucas, who was less popular, less known, and from a Japan-only game, but his game was more recent than Ness's).

However, I want this war to end in this topic. I don't want conflict between the Roy and Eliwood fans, as a matter of fact, I am trying to unite them.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice

They AREN'T SHIPMENT FIGURES. They are SALES FIGURES. Do you really think they'd only ship out ~163K copies of FE10? Once again. Japan's version of the NPD releases sales figures every week. That is what is compiled into those numbers.

I never said it wasn't. I said that is literally all Eliwood has going for him. Opening up the handheld market is just as huge, because the handheld market is absolutely enormous.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey Suchimo, did you get my PM?

Also, this Roy and Eliwood debate will hopefully be put to rest in about a month when Brawl is released in Japan.

Through FE? No. They created interest, but Eliwood is more recognizable among FE fanbase because he is best known for being in FE, not in SSB.

They AREN'T SHIPMENT FIGURES. They are SALES FIGURES. Do you really think they'd only ship out ~163K copies of FE10? Once again. Japan's version of the NPD releases sales figures every week. That is what is compiled into those numbers.

I never said it wasn't. I said that is literally all Eliwood has going for him. Opening up the handheld market is just as huge, because the handheld market is absolutely enormous.
On what basis do you say that they are sales figures? I personally know the person who owns the site, name is ioi, he's from the UK, he was banned from NeoGAF for spamming his site. VGChartz has an "unwritten ban" on Wikipedia as a source, for the simple reason that they use shipments. Hell, look at the Methodology page!

Sales figures are determined through two important methods

1. Data Sampling – VG Chartz gathers random data from a sample of the total number of retailers.
2. Shipment information – VG Chartz has contacts with publishers who give their best estimates on number of products shipped.

All they're talking about is shipments, for the simple reason that he uses shipments.

Also, you try to downplay the level of that accomplishment - that's "all" he did. What he did was a milestone in the series - bringing the series to a new region is bigger than bringing the series to a new platform type.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Through FE? No. They created interest, but Eliwood is more recognizable among FE fanbase because he is best known for being in FE, not in SSB.
Among Western fans yes, Eliwood is more well-known among western Fire Emblem fans than Roy (excluding the hardcore ones who download patches and roms to play the Japan-only ones). However, among Smash fans, Roy is definitely more well-known and popular. Like I said earlier, we will know the full roster in about a month, so it is useless at this point to argue who is more worthy, because the roster probably has already been decided at this point, and the game is probably in debugging right now.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Among Western fans yes, Eliwood is more well-known among western Fire Emblem fans than Roy (excluding the hardcore ones who download patches and roms to play the Japan-only ones). However, among Smash fans, Roy is definitely more well-known and popular. Like I said earlier, we will know the full roster in about a month, so it is useless at this point to argue who is more worthy, because the roster probably has already been decided at this point, and the game is probably in debugging right now.
No he's not. Roy still is. I bet there are barely any western FE fans who haven't heard of or played smash and then theres still alot of western FE fans who haven't played eliwood's game but have played other ones and have played smash.

I'm gonna go play some medal of honour heroes 2 on my wii now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No he's not. Roy still is. I bet there are barely any western FE fans who haven't heard of or played smash and then theres still alot of western FE fans who haven't played eliwood's game but have played other ones and have played smash.

I'm gonna go play some medal of honour heroes 2 on my wii now.
That is a good point.

FE GBA is definitely the more popular game, as it got by far the most advertisement, and got a lot more coverage than the other three FEs did.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FE GBA is definitely the more popular game, as it got by far the most advertisement, and got a lot more coverage than the other three FEs did.
I'm pretty sure FE6 was the most heavily advertised of the GBA Fire Emblems. Along with Roy's appearance in Melee, a promotional manga series about FE6 was released in Shonen Jump.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure FE6 was the most heavily advertised of the GBA Fire Emblems. Along with Roy's appearance in Melee, a promotional manga series about FE6 was released in Shonen Jump.
Hey I remember seeing a fire emblem manga, was that the one I saw or are there other FE mangas?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey I remember seeing a fire emblem manga, was that the one I saw or are there other FE mangas?
I think the only official one was the one relating to FE6. However, there have been a lot of fanmade ones.

Also, Hippochinfat, have you voted for me yet. ;)

KirbyWarrior

Smash Cadet
I REALLY WANT ROY IN BRAWL!! Sadly I don't think its possible, I was reading that the person who makes this game said (clears throat) "No Clones" (cry cry sob) WHY!?!?!?!

Top Bottom