• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
But that's because she has 2 flags in her hands and it's helpless in the wide ocean :/

That's the same animation when she is about to get roasted by Bowser's Fireball in the final stretch of that MP10 board as well.

Doesn't bother me, all the characters do the same.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
As good as making her nonchalant and unflinching sounds, she has to have the same animations when it comes to certain situations, for some reasons. It doesn't really make her shine, or any other characters, for that matter. They tend to leave the powerful, wise and omnipotent stuff to the main games like Galaxy. It would be a bit nicer if the spin-offs games could stay true to the characters and give them more personality instead of being generic.

It's very noticeable to see things in games that clearly contradicts her character and makes her look bad, such as genuine fear and wimpiness. As the mother of cosmic children who becomes galaxies and planets, with celestial powers herself, it's quite absurd how minor things can shock her, but it's how the games work, I suppose. Even as these games that contradicts Rosalina are non-canon (luckily), I feel that the developers could always work on the individual characters a bit more. It gets even worse if one were to say that fear and insecurities is a part of her traits as an adult (Really, Rio...?). I feel some of her animations in spin-offs suits her as a child better. I mean, yeah, adults can have excitements and all that, but the over-the-top kind of excitements carries more youthful tones, and doesn't really fit her (unless she's written as a woman-child, which she isn't). Not stating which games, to avoid arguments. All in all, this is basically the norm, since it doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon. Game makes mistakes like this all the time.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You do still have to wonder how Cloud is still in the S tier. Without Limit Break, his recovery is poor, and that can easily be exploited if he's too careless.

Anyway, Diddy is still the best Mario universe fighter, tier-wise. However, Bowser did lose the best super heavyweight status.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Lol @ these responses. First and foremost, tier lists do matter, I don't care how much you believe but there are good characters and bad characters, simple as that.

And Cloud is stupidly good: amazing mobility, range, frame data, kill power and more, they are now even discovering a potential zero-to-death combo that kills around 20% not even joking.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lol @ these responses. First and foremost, tier lists do matter, I don't care how much you believe but there are good characters and bad characters, simple as that.

And Cloud is stupidly good: amazing mobility, range, frame data, kill power and more, they are now even discovering a potential zero-to-death combo that kills around 20% not even joking.
I mean to be fair most people only said they don't care about tiers personally.

Tier lists only matter if you actually intend to compete in a tournament yourself, and even then, they're a vague guideline at best. You're better off playing a character that naturally suits your playstyle and whom you feel comfortable playing, rather than trying to awkwardly force yourself to play someone top tier.

In a game like Smash 4, where the large majority of the roster is at least considered viable, this applies even more.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Whoa after a while, I returned to my country and finally have some time to visit this thread again.
I am going to share Nicobbq's latest "XXX is NOT XXX" series, while I aware I shouldn't take these videos serious and in fact I actually enjoy some of the videos, especially "Why Mario is Not A HERO" even though it was his first video I think.
The reason why I have a bit grudge on this was that his points he made most were pretty lame and not even humorous....

Like... she only feeds Lumas star bits? I mean, that's the only food you can find in space according to Rosalina story book.

Steal Mario's hat... yikes, this one just really sucked... because later on the baby Luma just holds it and even wear it...

That said, just watch the video and you will know how cringy this video is...

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Whoa after a while, I returned to my country and finally have some time to visit this thread again.
I am going to share Nicobbq's latest "XXX is NOT XXX" series, while I aware I shouldn't take these videos serious and in fact I actually enjoy some of the videos, especially "Why Mario is Not A HERO" even though it was his first video I think.
The reason why I have a bit grudge on this was that his points he made most were pretty lame and not even humorous....

Like... she only feeds Lumas star bits? I mean, that's the only food you can find in space according to Rosalina story book.

Steal Mario's hat... yikes, this one just really sucked... because later on the baby Luma just holds it and even wear it...

That said, just watch the video and you will know how cringy this video is...
I don't even care if they were serious or not, I just look at this video as a joke. According to this video, if you're ambidextrous, you're a bad person.

There are more than just star bits, by the way. Lumas can eat coins and it was shown in the storybook that Rosalina and the Lumas makes a star cake for a new Luma at a welcoming party. Outside and inside the kitchen dome, there are silverwares and lots of other things to suggest that there are more foods than just star bits. You can even interpret that the pot in the kitchen is used to make soup. Then you also have the fact that bread, apricot tea, jam, water and all the other kind of meals and beverages are stated in the storybook. Star bits are just the favorite snacks for Lumas and they play a major factor in their development, that's why they're important.

It's just silly innocent things that the video tries to paint in a bad way, like Rosalina being a thief, liar and a bad mother. You don't need to choose to go into her library, it's absolutely optional and doesn't interfere with the plot. In Smash, the Lumas chose to fight with Rosalina, and was listed as a lightweight because it showcases her abilities, but apparently changing gravity makes you a bad person, despite no intentions for malice. In Galaxy 2, the hat was taken as a momento, which didn't bother Mario that badly. Even Peach knew it was an innocent gesture. As for the spin-offs, she's holding back and that just seems to be her natural weight. It's ironic that the little things Rosalina do is seen as evil, while Bowser kidnapping Peach and stealing powers are defended, but again, what would you expect from that channel? Nico would probably make a video on why Pauline is some kind of villainous femme fatale or why Yoshi is a gluttonous beast who devours the innocent.

Last edited:

Neppudding

Smash Rookie
Just a general question, but has anyone been able to get Rosalina's coin from the Mario Wonderballs?? I bought a couple myself the other day and was hoping to get her and Peach, but instead of getting Rosalina, I got Daisy (and Peach) instead. My sister bought some herself and didn't have any luck either.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Merry Christmas Guys.

And with that, my last video of this year.

A friend of mine was able to give me some files from the GPDX Game.

And i extracted Rosalina's voice as usual in a high quality ♥ This is a great way to end the year.

Several sounds Rosalina makes , in Kerri's voice are not featured in any previous games which makes it a lot sweeter for me since i got even more clips for my mods.

These are perfect and once again demostrate the fact that Kerri did marvelous when portraying Rosalina in various situations, she even growls lol and it sounds funny yet still enjoyable and fitting in the Mario games while also sounding space-like and Unique. Love her.

D

Deleted member

新年おめでとう! Came back from the Bayonetta Social to wish everyone a Happy New Year! My only good memories of 2017, aside from my purchase of amiibo on :rosalina::4corrinf::4bayonetta2:, was meeting y'all here and you accepted me, a 56-year-old woman into your culture! This is the year I rectify a few inequities such as getting serious in practicing :rosalina: and :4bayonetta2: tech. Can't begin to tell y'all how long I've put this off in favor of messing around with Assist trophies and Pokèballs instead.

Y'all have a good one and I'll meet up with you later.... :kirby:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
新年おめでとう! Came back from the Bayonetta Social to wish everyone a Happy New Year! My only good memories of 2017, aside from my purchase of amiibo on :rosalina::4corrinf::4bayonetta2:, was meeting y'all here and you accepted me, a 56-year-old woman into your culture! This is the year I rectify a few inequities such as getting serious in practicing :rosalina: and :4bayonetta2: tech. Can't begin to tell y'all how long I've put this off in favor of messing around with Assist trophies and Pokèballs instead.

Y'all have a good one and I'll meet up with you later.... :kirby:
Thank you! Even though I'm not that interested in Smash too much anymore, I'm glad you're dedicated to these characters. These lovely tall ladies are indeed ready to slay! Also, what an interesting way to end the year and start a new one, by getting pranked. Someone must've pranked you, but I'm not sure who. By the way, we accept everyone as long as they're civil and considerate, regardless of who or what they are. You're never too old for Smash. I hope to see you soon as well!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sadly, my Smash Wii U hacking career has gradually begun to die off after I finished my last moveset hack. 2017 has partially been a year where I've worked on improving Giga Bowser, but since I've finally got him back to his cheap and overpowered ways (much like in Melee's Adventure Mode on the hardest difficulty), I can finally move on.

I also did some moveset edits for a few struggling souls, but now I'm just losing the inspiration to cover anyone else (sorry Jigglypuff). For the following, just be fortunate that I've tried to make you better.

:4palutena::4charizard::4falco::4wario:
:4ganondorf::4zelda::4littlemac:
:4dedede:

Lucario and Robin also receive honorable mentions, with the former receiving adjustments to its aura mechanics, while the latter received durability improvements for his/her tomes.

Nowadays, DeviantArt has given me other things to do, especially in the MMD department, and I hope to continue my DeviantArt career even further as 2018 progresses.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Merry Christmas Guys.

And with that, my last video of this year.

A friend of mine was able to give me some files from the GPDX Game.

And i extracted Rosalina's voice as usual in a high quality ♥ This is a great way to end the year.

Several sounds Rosalina makes , in Kerri's voice are not featured in any previous games which makes it a lot sweeter for me since i got even more clips for my mods.

These are perfect and once again demostrate the fact that Kerri did marvelous when portraying Rosalina in various situations, she even growls lol and it sounds funny yet still enjoyable and fitting in the Mario games while also sounding space-like and Unique. Love her.

Now I know I'm using Rosalina too much. I can recognize every voice clip that wasn't used for Smash Bros.

Rosalina's current voice actress, Laura Faye Smith, isn't nearly as monotone as the previous two (which is something I really liked about Rosa), but I think she gets too much hate. Yeah, her voice may have made Rosa sound more like Peach, but you have to give her credit for being the first actress to give Rosalina realistic reactions. Mercedes and Kerri's monotone impressions don't always work well in fast-paced competitive games like Mario Kart.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
That's matter of opinion tbh ; Laura's voice as Rosalina is far from "realistic" as the sounds she makes are high pitched and cartoony and they Don't represent Rosalina at all; defending this is pointless because Rosalina much like other characters has a defined personality and she used to have a voice that represented that. Mercedes Rose voice for instance was used in MKWii while Kerri's was used in 7 and Arcade GPDX and both work just fine , and are way superior to what Laura did in MK8. She doesn't get hate , her performance does and for a good reason because Rosalina is not supposed to sound like Laura is portraying her according to her already defined character and previous voices.

It's like giving Mario a low , serious and manly voice , which doesn't represent him at all since he is supposed to sound cheerful and friendly.

It simply doesn't fit and it's just not up for decent justification.

Anyway happy new year 2018, hopefully this one is gonna be better.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's matter of opinion tbh ; Laura's voice as Rosalina is far from "realistic" as the sounds she makes are high pitched and cartoony and they Don't represent Rosalina at all; defending this is pointless because Rosalina much like other characters has a defined personality and she used to have a voice that represented that. Mercedes Rose voice for instance was used in MKWii while Kerri's was used in 7 and Arcade GPDX and both work just fine , and are way superior to what Laura did in MK8. She doesn't get hate , her performance does and for a good reason because Rosalina is not supposed to sound like Laura is portraying her according to her already defined character and previous voices.

It's like giving Mario a low , serious and manly voice , which doesn't represent him at all since he is supposed to sound cheerful and friendly.

It simply doesn't fit and it's just not up for decent justification.

Anyway happy new year 2018, hopefully this one is gonna be better.
I used the word realistic to describe how a normal person would sound. Even though Rosalina is usually monotone, there are instances where it doesn't work very well. Falling off the track or driving off a high ramp in MK7 are good examples. These are instances where Rosalina needs to show some strong expression instead of a forced monotone scream. Laura's higher voice does a good job of conveying those strong euphoric feelings.

Personally, I feel like Mercedes was the best of both worlds. She stayed monotone for most of Rosalina's clips, but was able to raise her voice a bit more when needed.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
From what I heard, she sounded pretty childish in MKWii, at least during the races, which isn't necessarily bad but can be if excessive (don't even get me started on Luma).

I love all three actresses, and I am certain that some of Rosalina's voice clips sounded a bit higher than Peach's herself in MK8, but even louder. People may disagree with me on this, but it feels like Peach is the calm one at times, even though she has that cartoony Snow White voice, she isn't really that loud and kind of keeps it soft and short, where Rosalina sounds like a realistic young lady who sounds like she's having some fun.

I believe this is more the case of how they chose certain voices from each actresses to use for Rosalina rather than the performance itself, even though the performance does play a factor in it. Plus, they can always edit the voices to fit right in. Laura has good portrayals of Rosalina, and the potential to deliver a voice that defines her character in many aspects, and I don't think the voice team are utilizing that power well enough. I feel with minor adjustments like adding an echo would be better, so I don't know why they removed that. It's not that distracting, and actually sounds pleasant and alluring. If she is this interstellar figure that is powerful, she should start sounding like it, even though that may not be realistic since we as humans don't really have echoing voices. This is a split between sounding like a human being or a cosmic entity, which Rosalina, in her lifetime, is both. As long as they give Rosalina the actual voice, that not only fits her character, but the environment she's in, I'm sold.

I feel like people have a problem with Rosalina as a whole, and how she "changed" not only with voice but her behavior as well. There are fans who is appalled by her voice or the way she acts in spin-offs, calling her a Peach clone and undermining the current VA. It's like you only get to choose between sounding like a mundane, youthful woman or a celestial avatar, when you can, in fact, sound like both. Let's not forget the fact that Rosalina isn't one dimensional, which a lot of people mistake for her "losing who she was in Galaxy" instead of this being a completely normal side of her, when it comes down to friendly competition. You shouldn't expect her to be a serious person all the time, that's killjoy. There are times she's assertive and stands her ground, there are times she is laid back and wants to have fun, there are times when she is sassy, there are times where she's humble, and they are all good traits a strong female character would have. Heck, even innocence and delusion, with elements of joy, wonder, humor, love and grief was in the storybook, further fleshing her out. If we're talking about change, she changes in the story book, but that's about it. And even so, that's actually development and works since she is transitioning from a child to an adult.

The only time people should get mad is if she is out of character (and no, having fun isn't OoC), like being extremely aggressive or being wimpy, like in Rio and MP10. She isn't Bowser, she isn't Luigi, she isn't Toad, she's Rosalina, and Rosalina is a headstrong mother of infinite star children and a boundless sea of space to care for and look after.

I hope that everyone is having a good start to 2018 so far!

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
It's useless to beat the dead horse again.

Either way I wonder what kind of Mario games are coming to the Switch this year... The Arcade game can be playe in PC now and I wonder if Bamco would do something else with Nintendo like baseball game.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
So, I'have recently started getting into 3D animation, more specifically with Blender and UE4, right now I'm refining her bones, and I noticed two things about her SSB4 model:

The first is that her model is a .dae file, like many others, especially in the series, and that means her model is split into pieces, some pieces containing all possible faces(and sometimes hand animations), with the game just picking the needed face when he needs to instead of actually animating it. That also means the model is split in multiple pieces, and I noticed how her brooch is called Hoshi, which means Star. It's curious because the models have usually english names, but use her japanese name. Also her earrings are named mimi_kazari, their literal translation
2018.01.03-02.00_01.png

Those right there are almost 70 bones. Granted most of them where details that can very easily be trascured, for instance, her earrings not only have bones for them but are also two separated bones; realistically both earrings would usually have the same animation most of the times, the only actual exception I can think of is her rotating to the side, and if that is worth it for the added of both human and machine is a case-by-case scenario, but in the vast majority of cases the answer is no, the few games who go to such lenghts are the ones that usually have cut-in animations or that have her face in full screen: The Galaxy games, the Golf Games, MP10 and Power Tennis, if I'm not missing anything. Always trying to have simple models to animate allows for easier animating, because in the end the rules of animations are what makes it, not how many triangles are moving at once. Well, that and the fact that it spares a lot of work and money, that can be redirected into something that actually serves the experience, i.e. not those 42601672642 cut-in take-down/executions taking 10 decades each

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
On the topic of models, I came across this video yesterday because I was desperate for more Rosalina-related contents and thought the model looked visually appealing. The video may not be the best quality, but the dress physics are surely something. In my opinion, I feel like a better dance would've complimented her model a bit better, since this looks more suitable for the Tennis model. This model appears to be from Mario Party 10.

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Nintendo announced a new Tennis game for the Nintendo Switch. This looks promising, especially since there's a story mode confirmed. Keep your eyes out for Rosalina, it's likely she'll appear given her consistency with spin-offs! This just gives me so much hype sugars I could crash!

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Nintendo announced a new Tennis game for the Nintendo Switch. This looks promising, especially since there's a story mode confirmed. Keep your eyes out for Rosalina, it's likely she'll appear given her consistency with spin-offs! This just gives me so much hype sugars I could crash!

The guys are rocking those outfits. I'd love to see a Comet Observatory inspired court in this.
I'm glad they're rethought it after Ultra Smash and Superstars. There is more content in these 50 seconds of teaser than in all Ultra Smash, I think I'll enjoy it a lot.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
The guys are rocking those outfits. I'd love to see a Comet Observatory inspired court in this.
I'm glad they're rethought it after Ultra Smash and Superstars. There is more content in these 50 seconds of teaser than in all Ultra Smash, I think I'll enjoy it a lot.
Yeah, agreed! This does look bigger than the whole full game of Ultra Smash, and doesn't look rushed at all. Do you think there'll be new outfits for the other characters too, or would outfits from previous games be reused?

Themed stages could work too, and the stage you're talking about reminded me of the Galaxy stages in Mario Tennis Open and Mario Golf: World Tour. Better yet if they make a Galaxy Cruise, which was teased in an ad in Superstars.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The fact that we're getting Wario and Waluigi without their staple overalls and caps gives me hope that the other characters will get updated outfits. Could Rosa also get a visor and a polo?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
The fact that we're getting Wario and Waluigi without their staple overalls and caps gives me hope that the other characters will get updated outfits. Could Rosa also get a visor and a polo?
Female tennis players don't wear polos, they wear sports skirts. Rosalina will either get a tennis skirt like she had last time, or at most a tank top and spats.

I don't think she'd look good in a polo anyways.

(I'm surprised I don't post in this thread more often considering how much I love Rosalina.)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Female tennis players don't wear polos, they wear sports skirts. Rosalina will either get a tennis skirt like she had last time, or at most a tank top and spats.

I don't think she'd look good in a polo anyways.
Women can wear polos in tennis too. Most athletes prefer something lighter and more flexible, but it's not too weird to see someone wearing one.

PsychoJosh

Women can wear polos in tennis too. Most athletes prefer something lighter and more flexible, but it's not too weird to see someone wearing one.
I know that, I'm not trying to imply they can't. I'm just saying they usually don't, so I don't expect her to wear one.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Honestly an updated outfit would be rad but as long as she's put back in the Power category, I'm fine. Tricky isn't exactly bad, I just prefer her being powerful, and this recent Nintendo Power thingy where they post cards of characters even mentioned it and... I'd be disappointed if she were to stay tricky.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Honestly an updated outfit would be rad but as long as she's put back in the Power category, I'm fine. Tricky isn't exactly bad, I just prefer her being powerful, and this recent Nintendo Power thingy where they post cards of characters even mentioned it and... I'd be disappointed if she were to stay tricky.
I agree. I've always used power/heavy characters in everything, and I guess Nintendo must know what I'm thinking because the reason Rosalina appeals to me so much is because of her stature and implied strength.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
i dont think the females will get different outfits other than the common tennis gear they have always had.

In the case of Rosalina, her tennis outfit is pretty new so i dont think they would change her wardrove just yet.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I could see them getting a visor like the boys. And I'd love to see them in a polo shirt.

Also I wonder if Pauline will make it in. This is our first post Odyssey Mario spin-off.

Top Bottom