• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I could see them getting a visor like the boys. And I'd love to see them in a polo shirt.

Also I wonder if Pauline will make it in. This is our first post Odyssey Mario spin-off.
I was thinking the same thing, people have also asked about it in the comments. If Nintendo wanted more female representation, I suppose they could add her in. I don't know, I think she'll be unique. Let's just hope that the cast is diverse, it'll help better the game.

The Rosalina Guru

Smash Rookie
Yeah, she is gonna be assuming to be the next big thing for Nintendo if they add her in. As for Pauline, big expectations since she appears back in Odyssey, as far as aware of I hope that she will make it in.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
You know what they say about UE4, that it's really easy to make something good-looking there? Well, I can attest it's true, such a shame that it can't make animations for you, so there isn't going to be anything on that front for quite some time, but it did make a lot on her model, so if you will you may follow her steps in blending with Unreal
This is her model ripped straight from the game
https://imgur.com/a/e1pkE
The reason her dress seems broken on her shoulders is because that part, for who knows what reason, has a different default rotation than other parts of the model, thus I had to try to manually attach it to the dress; now the colors might seem more flat than you remember, that's because in ripping directly the model, I didn't apply the shaders
The game uses estensively a Specular and a Normal map(a map that makes the model appear more detailed than it actually is, most notably on her hairs, crown and chest). Those two are fundamental in order for not making a model look like a mod
https://imgur.com/a/VzFii
Now this is pretty much what her model is in-game, except for using UE4's engine, which includes stuff like more detailed lightning and ambiental lightning set on "the sun is going supernova". Also I used a particular shader that let her pupil extend out of the sclera, as you can see in second picture
But those two maps don't even scratch the full potential of the engine
Here goes the most intensive part of my operation. Unreal uses particular shaders for eyes, hair, skin and clothing, on top of having a specific parameter for how metallic(the main reason all that the crown, the jewels and the earrings now reflect so much) a material is but since there were no maps for the new parameters I had to improvise quite a bit
https://imgur.com/a/FH2De
I also had to add on top of the existing maps, for instance I had to make like 4 maps for her nails because the in-game parts of that map have literally nothing for that zone, and rightly so, as there was no reason to dig to such levels of details, especially with a limited hardware.
Speaking of which, my work included levelling the colors in multiple zones, as there is a great dose of fake lightning all over the textures, giving the illusion of detail during screenshots and being too far from the camera for being notable during gameplay. You can see the change on her jewels and her eyes more prominently. Speaking of which, without that light drawing attention, that cold stare became more pearcing than before.

And now that she made the transition, it's time to make Sonic OCs color swaps

Now the first thing that needs to be done is ***** Negative Rosalina
2018.01.28-23.35.png

This one uses the almighty power of 3D engines in order to let her absorb the light. It is also an easy base to make her Cosmic self, I'd just need to replace all that black with the texture under her gown.

Anyhow, let's make her travel a bit back in time
https://imgur.com/a/Zcc1t
The first one is pretty self-explanatory, I just ripped her colors straight from the book with almost no modifications
In the second I adapt from the style of the book, using very last page showing her as reference, as that is the page showing her after changing appearence. On a general note, her colors are warmer and, with the exception of her dress, more saturated, though her hairs are probably not that red(they may be, considering how the book is desaturated)
The third is simply taking the opposite path with some pretty strict guidelines
The fourth once again adapts that to be more cohesive. Now her dress follows the silver-white monochromatic contrast that the rest of the model was following, culminating in a quite unsettling show of cold, piercing stoicism, not to say apathy.
Well, that's about it, guess here's the last
2018.01.29-01.25.png

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886

This is the trailer from the direct

And not only Rosalina looks nice and all.

While Rosalina keeps her US voice ... she gains KERRI KANE'S voice BACK when the Luma's appear

when the Lumas appear and Rosalina says '' Hoop!'' that's Kerri and this is the sound that plays

https://s1.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s1Bn58fd29T7.mp3

i dont like this , but Nintendo clearly acknowledges that whenever Rosalina does ANYTHING galaxy related they will use Kerri and not Laura , like in Golf or Smash and now in here , the Lumas appear and it will be Kerri as Rosalina and not Laura.

Isn't this detail odd??? Well i can't say i hate it because to me Kerri is miles better than Laura but i dont like mixing up 2 actresses that dont sound alike.

also SMASH SWITCH YESSS

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
It's odd that they had that Splatoon cutscene to reveal Smash Switch IMO.

As for Tennis Aces, hopefully Pauline appears as one of the unlockables, although it's a possibility she won't make it in. As for the outfits, did they mention the in-game outfits the Mario characters wear, like the polo for the Mario bros, Wario and Waluigi and the wrist band Peach and Rosalina wears? I do wish that to be the case. And as for the story mode with dialogue, this is a much better way to portray the characters as opposed to the previous spin-offs, which didn't have much. Oh, and also, WTF? Rosalina's a Tricky type now? Well thanks a lot, Chain Chomps.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105

Look what I found! Changes I notice are her shoes and the little wrist thingies tennis players sport. Crazy how my love for her grows over time and never diminishes.

Zav22

Smash Cadet
Im still baffled by the chain chomp being playable of all characters. I never would've expected it but its not as shocking as a goomba and a paragoomba being playable in the Mario baseball games. Whats interesting about this is that I think this marks the first time a chain chomp has ever been playable in the series, which I cant wait try out how he plays. Also Im still hoping for Pauline and Cappy to become playable in this because if they aren't then that would be a surprisingly missed opportunity for them.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33

Look what I found! Changes I notice are her shoes and the little wrist thingies tennis players sport. Crazy how my love for her grows over time and never diminishes.
May I ask where you found that? The details are very impeccable, and she looks either mischievous or so happy... I hope it's the former, as that's practically adding a bit more depth to her character (being mischievous).

I like to believe that, along with the rest of the characters, she could have more than just the tennis wristband and shoes, considering the fact that you're able to unlock all these clothes and outfits in game. There's a good chance she can have something similar to the polo the boys wear, and of course that would apply to Peach and Daisy as well.

Tricky type is starting to make more sense now, especially with a face like that. It seriously reminds me of the "tears drinking" days of Smash, and frankly gives that vibe out too. Speaking of the typing, I gave it a little more thought. While I am bummed out that her typing isn't consistent anymore with her no longer being power, I think that this change will actually benefit her performance. If you take a closer look at the game, there seems to be a lot of strategies, such as the zone shots. She was the best in tennis in Mario Sports Superstars (even got an ad for it, too), so it's not far-fetched to say she would be at least a good character to use in this game. You also have to consider how there's a limit to everything in this game, so everyone has to play by the three hits rule regarding your tennis racket. So even if you're power type, you still wouldn't be immune to having your tennis racket being snapped off, as Wario has proven. I don't know much about the gauge, if the durability depends on types, characters or if it's being treated equally. This game requires a lot more thinking compared to the last tennis game, so I really think you use which character suits you best, and coordinates with your own styles of playing. In terms of story mode, I hope that the Mario characters get their own dialogue, which seems unlikely considering Toad is there, likely to be the interpretator. All in all, this game looks potentially superior to Ultra Smash in terms of character individuality, details, gameplay, content and etc.

And another thing, I'm just glad that the Lumas (and actually seen with her sport outfit) finally made a return, although it probably seems unlikely they'll be playable, that's fine too since Mario golf has Rosalina and the Lumas together as well. I also hope Rosalina and Luma makes it into Smash Switch.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
May I ask where you found that? The details are very impeccable, and she looks either mischievous or so happy... I hope it's the former, as that's practically adding a bit more depth to her character (being mischievous).

I like to believe that, along with the rest of the characters, she could have more than just the tennis wristband and shoes, considering the fact that you're able to unlock all these clothes and outfits in game. There's a good chance she can have something similar to the polo the boys wear, and of course that would apply to Peach and Daisy as well.

Tricky type is starting to make more sense now, especially with a face like that. It seriously reminds me of the "tears drinking" days of Smash, and frankly gives that vibe out too. Speaking of the typing, I gave it a little more thought. While I am bummed out that her typing isn't consistent anymore with her no longer being power, I think that this change will actually benefit her performance. If you take a closer look at the game, there seems to be a lot of strategies, such as the zone shots. She was the best in tennis in Mario Sports Superstars (even got an ad for it, too), so it's not far-fetched to say she would be at least a good character to use in this game. You also have to consider how there's a limit to everything in this game, so everyone has to play by the three hits rule regarding your tennis racket. So even if you're power type, you still wouldn't be immune to having your tennis racket being snapped off, as Wario has proven. I don't know much about the gauge, if the durability depends on types, characters or if it's being treated equally. This game requires a lot more thinking compared to the last tennis game, so I really think you use which character suits you best, and coordinates with your own styles of playing. In terms of story mode, I hope that the Mario characters get their own dialogue, which seems unlikely considering Toad is there, likely to be the interpretator. All in all, this game looks potentially superior to Ultra Smash in terms of character individuality, details, gameplay, content and etc.

And another thing, I'm just glad that the Lumas (and actually seen with her sport outfit) finally made a return, although it probably seems unlikely they'll be playable, that's fine too since Mario golf has Rosalina and the Lumas together as well. I also hope Rosalina and Luma makes it into Smash Switch.
I saw a Tumblr post with a cropped version and tried to look it up and found it on knowyourmeme, actually. I really tried to find it on official websites but nothing came. I mean at least it's here.
I hope she'll stay with power in other games though. I guess I'm fine with tricky.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I saw a Tumblr post with a cropped version and tried to look it up and found it on knowyourmeme, actually. I really tried to find it on official websites but nothing came. I mean at least it's here.
I hope she'll stay with power in other games though. I guess I'm fine with tricky.
Rosalina isn't exactly a bulky person though, so she would feel out of place alongside Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. It should also be noted that some Tricky-type characters do excel in power, such as Mario Sports Mix's Slime.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I don't care at all. She should stay Power in most games.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
i actually agree that Rosalina should remain powerful in the sports games.

However, since this game doesn't exactly favor power characters like they did in Ultra Smash (or at least it doesnt seem like it) then im ok with the change, im still gonna play as her regardless.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I can see a bit of muscle in that render of Rosalina, on her arm. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed. That could either be fat or muscle, it's likely muscle, but regardless, it does seem to give us a hint she is very fit. It shows some kind of thickness to it. Not only that, but you can see how well she fits into her biker suit, almost as if it was a bit too small for her. You also have the fact that she's really tall, and weights a ton. Technically, any types would fit her. My headcanon is that she switches types (similarly to how she changes her weight in Smash and the Kart games with the use of manipulating her gravity), because it make sense how she is able to defeat her opponents in numerous ways, using her sheer strength, mental wits and tactics, and different kind of maneuvers, so since Rosalina is very capable of performing said skills, it's not too much of a shocker to see her switch up playstyles depending on the game. In fact, you can even manipulate gravity in tricky or mischievous means, similar to gravitational pull, but in the sense that she'd have pretty crazy curves.

It's strange how she has a lot similarity to Boo, as both are able to float, have tricky type, and nearly identical color schemes! It really hints at her magical side, and her uses of outwitting as opposed to pure strength in Ultra Smash. Power types seems to be her signature type anyways. It's even stated that she's heavy in kart games and power type in sports game, according to her Nintendo Power Bio.

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
How is Rosalinas color scheme nearly identical to boo? I mean I wouldn't necessarily say that the blue aura around him counts because that was a thing they decided to add to him in those games. Rosalinas main color is turquoise along with silver and yellow while Boo is mainly white. I do see the other similarities between them such as them both floating and having the tricky type but not the color scheme.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
How is Rosalinas color scheme nearly identical to boo? I mean I wouldn't necessarily say that the blue aura around him counts because that was a thing they decided to add to him in those games. Rosalinas main color is turquoise along with silver and yellow while Boo is mainly white. I do see the other similarities between them such as them both floating and having the tricky type but not the color scheme.
Rosalina and Boo's color scheme does seem close, it's just that Rosalina's is a bit more saturated and has a green tint to it while Boo's color scheme takes on a brighter, blueish tint. I wasn't talking about their character models, I was talking about the backgrounds, the part where the narrators talks about there being more than 15 characters. You can see their emblems and types. It's an irrelevant, aesthetic similarity I noticed, nothing serious. Also, Rosalina is capable of having her own aura, as that was shown in Smash and Galaxy, so it doesn't seem too wrong if she were to have one in game, but I doubt she will. I only thought it was an odd coincident how both Rosalina and Boo (who has pale blue instead of white) floats and has the tricky type.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
It seems like they are the only ones having the tricky type for now. I understand she has been changed from Ultra Smash with its... 6 powerful characters? I think? While others categories were lacking representation. She was the most normal choice, but I don't want this to extend to other series. She has still more repsentation as a heavy and powerful character than a tricky one, although both fit her quite well.

Also I love the new shoes they made. Rosalina's are so nice!

Zav22

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah now I see what you mean, yeah I did wonder why they made boos main color light blue instead of the color he is. Then again Luigis main color use to be dark blue before changing it to dark green so I guess its not a first. Yes I do know that Rosalina is capable of having her own aura since it does reflect on how powerful she is, and Boo having his own aura makes sense because hes a literal spirit. The only other character I know of who also had an aura was the Green Sprixie Princess, as she had a green aura around her, which made sense to me because of her color scheme being green. I wasn't trying to be serious about it tbh, I was just curious what you meant by their colors being identical thats all. Also really like that the princesses have new shoes and wristbands, I just wish they had visors like the guys do but I can see why they still have their crowns.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meanwhile, Bowser Jr. is still stuck with his Koopa Clown Car, but at least he's now properly classified as a Defensive type character if he's going to rely on it all the time. But the biggest oddity has to be Chain Chomp's inclusion.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
It seems that Rosalina had the stars aligned for me; just bought a Switch two weeks ago, am thoroughly engrossed in Odyssey (found a cute Rosie 8-bit sprite on the moon) and then I come back from vacation to hear we're getting a new Smash game for the Switch, where I'm sure Rosie will be a shoo-in again.

I'm a happy camper.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Also really like that the princesses have new shoes and wristbands, I just wish they had visors like the guys do but I can see why they still have their crowns.
You forgot about Rosalina. :V She may not be a princess, but it doesn't mean she's excluded from tennis fashion like Peach and Daisy. As for the visors and etc, I believe it's possible to unlock those. Although it'd require you to go online. Hopefully that changes so you can unlock these things offline too.

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I didnt forget about Rosalina because ever since she first appeared in Super Mario Galaxy Ive always considered her to be the third main princess, and yes I do know about the large debate about her being a princess or a goddess but I never could really see her being goddess. Especially when compared to Palutena because she is literally referred to as a goddess in the KidIcarus series numerous times by most of the characters including herself, even though she also has the appearance of a human being. Rosalinas wikipedia page even clearly states that she is human just like the rest of the human cast, so how is she all of sudden a goddess? Did her species get changed? Pretty sure thats not how that works. Also yeah I hope the visors are unlockables for them, and it would be much more easier to unlock them when playing through the game regularly or through story mode than having to play online.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I wonder who'll voice her this time around and what kind of changes are to be expected for her. The puppeteer character seems important to Sakurai, but because it's a switch exclusivity, the Ice Climbers will undoubtedly return. It's not the same kind of marionetist, so I don't know. They could go wild and remove the Luma altogether but I doubt it.

Tbh I don't see why she wouldn't come back. Sakurai made it clear before he couldn't bring himself to develop another Smash game because of all the work he put in the precedent one and also because of the fans' complaints.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Ice Climbers playstyle is different from Rosalina though. The gimmick of the Ice Climbers is that they are a duo that have to rely on eachother, while Rosalina is like you said a puppeteer. Ice Climbers also are more a close combat character, while Rosalina can play more defensive, due she can split up with her Luma

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The last notable difference between Rosalina and the Ice Climbers is that if Rosalina's Luma gets KO'd, a new one will take its place after a while. For the Ice Climbers, if the CPU-controlled one gets KO'd, he/she will not come back into play until the one controlled by the player gets KO'd.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I didnt forget about Rosalina because ever since she first appeared in Super Mario Galaxy Ive always considered her to be the third main princess, and yes I do know about the large debate about her being a princess or a goddess but I never could really see her being goddess. Especially when compared to Palutena because she is literally referred to as a goddess in the KidIcarus series numerous times by most of the characters including herself, even though she also has the appearance of a human being. Rosalinas wikipedia page even clearly states that she is human just like the rest of the human cast, so how is she all of sudden a goddess? Did her species get changed? Pretty sure thats not how that works. Also yeah I hope the visors are unlockables for them, and it would be much more easier to unlock them when playing through the game regularly or through story mode than having to play online.
I was joking when I said that, even though there's some truth to it. I'll leave my serious response in the spoiler.

I never mentioned anything about her being a goddess, but since you brought it up, it does makes sense for her to be one in terms of role and power. You also have the fact that Palutena (yes, she does have the appearance of a human being but so does Rosalina, at least in the Mario universe) has authority over Skyworld, which appears to restricted to the atmosphere. Plus, Palutena isn't the only one who has light powers even though she's the goddess of light. Rosalina, on the other hand, is able to have an influence over the universe. Not a big deal since she protects it anyways, and so happens to have one beneath her gown in Smash. Even if calling her a goddess seems too much, you can always refer to her as the maternal figure of the cosmos, or celestial mother, which has a more personal and emotional meaning. Rosalina does have the possibility of being a princess, since her backstory keeps unanswered mysteries of her origins, but again you have to be aware that, unlike Peach and Daisy, Nintendo intentionally avoids calling her a princess in-game, so it at least refers to the woman in turquoise we all know and love, "mysterious woman" and "mama". Otherwise her bios would have "She is the princess of star kingdom blah blah blah". And yeah, she may have been born a human, but that doesn't mean she will always be one though. She looks like a human, but who knows how many centuries she lived or whatever she did with her cosmic powers? I will agree that she is human in terms of species, but a deity in terms of power and role, otherwise, an interstellar guardian.

Fun fact about Wikipedia, you can edit it and literally make your own wikia on FANDOM. Rosalina has more than one Wikipedia pages, and that goes for every wikis because all of them are not officially from Nintendo. Not even prima guides. So if I made a Wikipedia page calling Rosalina the wife of Toad #3684, it doesn't mean it's true.

Tbh I don't see why she wouldn't come back. Sakurai made it clear before he couldn't bring himself to develop another Smash game because of all the work he put in the precedent one and also because of the fans' complaints.
I know this has been a huge topic, but I don't think that this game would be a port. You have many things pointing out that it's a port, and things that point out it's not. If it's a port, shouldn't the date be 2014-2018, the original release date of the port, instead of just 2018? There's also the words written "original game" on it. Plus, the logo (which has a working title) has the slash on it and popped up like Melee. It could be a port but I find that unlikely. These are my sources if you're wondering.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_US/

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I knew it was a joke and it was nothing serious.
I wasn't referring to you about Rosalina being a goddess, I was referring to the fans who do think of her as one. Goddesses are portrayed as a completely different species from humans despite them both looking so similar to each other, and thats why for the longest time whenever Ive seen them I have always viewed them as humans with wings or humans with super natural powers. Same thing with Angels, and Fairies, and thats how Ive personally seen them until I found out they were a different species, and when it comes to video game human characters who have those type of powers, not saying all but some fans choose to call them a God or Goddess just because of what they are capable of doing and PURPOSELY ignore what their species actually IS. You do realize that there are humans in games that have powers similar to what Rosalina has right? Psychic powers, Gravity, Invisibility, Levitation, Telekinesis etc. yet can still be known as human beings. Is Cloud considered a God because he apparently has the ability to levitate whenever he runs in Smash Bros? Are Ness and Lucas Gods because they both have PSI powers? They're only kids, which is why I still cant see it for Rosalina. And yeah I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source but its one of the few encyclopedias that actually presents information that is as close to correct as possible about anything, which is why its one of the most recognizable towards people. I still see her as a princess no matter what is all, Mercedes Rose the original voice actress of her even called her "Princess Rosalina" during an interview so how does THAT not lead to something "because she was replaced"? I call bullcrap on that. "Well, that is the million dollar question isn’t it? Let me say this- if you liked my work as Princess Rosalina, it can’t hurt to email, blog, Twitter and the like that you want Princess Rosalina back!" And someone earlier on this chat thought it was "funny" that she said that almost as if this was completely dismissed and didn't exist. This is even stronger evidence in why I still believe she is a princess no matter what, and thats just how Ive seen it to begin with.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I knew it was a joke and it was nothing serious.
I wasn't referring to you about Rosalina being a goddess, I was referring to the fans who do think of her as one. Goddesses are portrayed as a completely different species from humans despite them both looking so similar to each other, and thats why for the longest time whenever Ive seen them I have always viewed them as humans with wings or humans with super natural powers. Same thing with Angels, and Fairies, and thats how Ive personally seen them until I found out they were a different species, and when it comes to video game human characters who have those type of powers, not saying all but some fans choose to call them a God or Goddess just because of what they are capable of doing and PURPOSELY ignore what their species actually IS. You do realize that there are humans in games that have powers similar to what Rosalina has right? Psychic powers, Gravity, Invisibility, Levitation, Telekinesis etc. yet can still be known as human beings. Is Cloud considered a God because he apparently has the ability to levitate whenever he runs in Smash Bros? Are Ness and Lucas Gods because they both have PSI powers? They're only kids, which is why I still cant see it for Rosalina. And yeah I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source but its one of the few encyclopedias that actually presents information that is as close to correct as possible about anything, which is why its one of the most recognizable towards people. I still see her as a princess no matter what is all, Mercedes Rose the original voice actress of her even called her "Princess Rosalina" during an interview so how does THAT not lead to something "because she was replaced"? I call bullcrap on that. "Well, that is the million dollar question isn’t it? Let me say this- if you liked my work as Princess Rosalina, it can’t hurt to email, blog, Twitter and the like that you want Princess Rosalina back!" And someone earlier on this chat thought it was "funny" that she said that almost as if this was completely dismissed and didn't exist. This is even stronger evidence in why I still believe she is a princess no matter what, and thats just how Ive seen it to begin with.
I could voice Rosalina and call her a maid, but that doesn't mean it's true. Rosalina was never, in-game and bios (the most credible sources, not Wikipedia), stated to be a princess nor a goddess. It's a matter of show don't tell. You cannot say Rosalina is a princess as a fact, because we don't know for sure. The reason fans come to the conclusion that she is a goddess is because of her role in the lore, she is responsible for protecting the cosmos, and she is the mother of celestial children who will become various power stars, comets, galaxies and so on. One could argue that it's possible she was both a princess and goddess, because sacred royalty isn't uncommon in video games (like for example, Zelda/Hylia). You could argue she's neither, since she never was referred to as one in game. She was treated as a goddess (again, show don't tell), because due to having the biggest role in the series, her power surpasses the Mario characters, as shown in games. You could say that as a child, Rosalina was a princess because of the castle looking backdrop, and maybe in a previous universe she may have lived in the Mushroom Kingdom. Other characters can use magic, yes, but not on a universal scale. You could say Bowser did do that, but even so he stole the power stars, and was defeated with the help of Rosalina and the Lumas. How gods and goddesses function depends on the work of fiction. Not all gods, and humans, have the same portrayal. In the Mario universe, it's possible that there isn't a goddess, but in the lore and games, Rosalina would technically be the closest you can get to a deity figure, especially with clues like "Mother of the Lumas" and "Protector of the Cosmos", if not, she's the Mario universe equivalent of a goddess. Even though she's never referred to as a goddess, it's actually implied that she fulfills the role of one, knowing that she watches over the universe and guards it from "any and all threats". She fits the definition very well. Her being a princess or not is a mystery, and that's why they avoid calling her one. It's, of course, possible to think of Rosalina being more than a goddess.

That's my explanation as to why people call her a goddess, nothing wrong with that. Just like nothing wrong with believing Rosalina to be a princess. However, Rosalina is very different from Peach and Daisy, it's best to keep that in mind. You are entitled to your opinions and beliefs, just be aware that not all gods, humans or whatever species work and stay the same in video games and stories. In a way, you can be either correct or incorrect, since it's a mystery. This applies to the fans that happens to think of her as a goddess as well. For now, it's confirmed that she's a cosmic guardian and a mother to the star children.

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I said I BELIEVE that Rosalina is a princess, never said it was a fact, and like I said no matter what anyone says Ill always consider her to be one. Also of course people are entitled to their opinion, (Im not trying to be an entitled jerk by the way) and they can believe her being one however Rosalina might have the definition of being one but that doesn't make it true either since like you said its a matter of "show don't tell" because if she were a goddess Nintendo would've confirmed it a long time ago. Some of the titles she got in-game like "Mother of the Lumas" or "Lady of the shooting stars" or even the most famous one being "Protector of the Cosmos" still do not give clear indicators that she is a goddess, I mean heck one of the toads in Super Mario Galaxy thought of her as a witch and she definitely is not one. Plus one could also argue what fans would've thought of her if they had decided to go with the idea of her being related to Peach. People can have their beliefs Im not saying they cant but based on whats in her wikipedia so far in most sources she so far is confirmed to be human, and Rosalina can still have those titles while still being a human being. Also don't want this topic to go out of hand and drag on for too long so lets talk about something else. Like who could we see in Smash Bros they announced coming out this year.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I think that Bayonetta has a good chance of staying, since another sequel is coming out. It would be cool if we had more trophies relating to her series, though. We just gotta hope that at least most of the newcomers of Smash 4 will return as veterans, that would be really good, especially since we know in each iterations the roster expands. I wish that gaming icons such as Pac-Man and Ryu gets to stay.

Happy St. Patrick's day!

Green_Dress.jpg

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
There might be a chance they could all return (Except for clones Im not so sure), and I hope we see characters like Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Rosalina, Palutena, Cloud, Shulk, Bowser Jr, and Mega Man come back. It could be unlikely but there is still a chance they could bring them back if they decide to turn towards fan service or something like the fighter ballot again.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Well I feel like taking a little break from real life things and stuff and going back to talking about Rosalina being the best. Mario Tennis Aces looks promising; almost like an official follow-up to Power Tennis despite it revolving around more recent assets and gameplay mechanics. Plus there's Rosalina.

That's such an adorable new character portrait. Awww!

Overall I'm happy with how they announced Smash Switch. If Nintendo knows anything about presentation, Smash reveals are their bread and butter. I'm in the new game camp as I vaguely recall Sakurai saying how he's not into doing ports. Even if they use the core of Smash 4 as a skeleton to make development easier, there are still plenty more things they can retool in order to justify it as a brand new entry. If they do use Smash 4 assets as a foundation, that could greatly reduce the risk of any character cuts.

As long as all of my current mains make it in, I'll be fully satisfied. Will it convince me to buy a Switch? Only time will tell.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Well I feel like taking a little break from real life things and stuff and going back to talking about Rosalina being the best. Mario Tennis Aces looks promising; almost like an official follow-up to Power Tennis despite it revolving around more recent assets and gameplay mechanics. Plus there's Rosalina.

That's such an adorable new character portrait. Awww!

Overall I'm happy with how they announced Smash Switch. If Nintendo knows anything about presentation, Smash reveals are their bread and butter. I'm in the new game camp as I vaguely recall Sakurai saying how he's not into doing ports. Even if they use the core of Smash 4 as a skeleton to make development easier, there are still plenty more things they can retool in order to justify it as a brand new entry. If they do use Smash 4 assets as a foundation, that could greatly reduce the risk of any character cuts.

As long as all of my current mains make it in, I'll be fully satisfied. Will it convince me to buy a Switch? Only time will tell.
I'm quite hopeful all current characters will make it in. I see no good in not bringing them back, most importantly knowing Wii U sales were ridiculously low. Sakurai would want his hard work brought to more people thanks to the Switch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm quite hopeful all current characters will make it in. I see no good in not bringing them back, most importantly knowing Wii U sales were ridiculously low. Sakurai would want his hard work brought to more people thanks to the Switch.
The only problem would be the 3rd party characters, since the way that Final Fantasy VII was referenced in Smash 3DS / Wii U can make you think that Cloud's future is very bleak. Square Enix can be quite strict with its property, which can explain why we never got any Final Fantasy remixes, and the only three Final Fantasy trophies all focused on Cloud himself.

Top Bottom