• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I keep hearing 2018 being a possibility for MP4 but if they had nothing more than a logo to show, it makes it sound like a pre-production thing at best. We heard that a console Metroid game would take 3 years on average back in 2015 after they announced "you know what" with no indication that they intended to start anything else at the time. At least Samus Returns is coming soon. But for all we know, Metroid Prime 4 could become the next Kingdom Hearts 3. Speaking of, that game could actually become a reality in 2018 and it looks glorious.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I was on YouTube, looking for Rosalina videos I happened to stumble upon videos of Rosalina's evolution. While of course, there are the obvious inaccuracies, you can't help but wonder how much happened over the past years. It has been a decade, and this November is officially her 10th anniversary, meaning she will be 10 years old. For some reason, this feels so endearing and sentimental, almost watching a child we loved since birth we know growing up...

She hasn't changed a bit, like what Lubba said. For ten years, this particular character touched our hearts and earned the title of one of the most beloved characters of Mario. Merely a single decade, and she done so much, and that's what you call a phenomenal character. I hope she will grow up to inspire many more, and continue to be cherished.

Here's one of the evolution video I was speaking of.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Well Rosalina certainly hasn't evolve design wise whatsoever , the only thing we saw in that kind of video was graphical differences and different activities she does now that she is playable regularly.

However this one was the one that caught my attention.

This is the only noticeable transition that Rosalina has gone thought , like several videogame characters. However , it affects her prensence and portrayal a bit more since Mario characters dont speak much , so the little things and sounds they make are twice as important as result , they define the character and their actual purpose.

I will always hate Nintendo for trying to change Rosalina's sound so drastically , to the point they couldn't just ask the same actress to be more cheerful if that's what they actually wanted , instead they outright just replaced her. Such a bummer.

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
However this one was the one that caught my attention.
Goddamn it, that was the video I meant to post but for some reason posted the less popular one. I wanted to post that video because the of the content the channels provide, which are basically evolutions, lists and etc. (I was using a phone and the youtube links were screwy) At least we see the two videos I was talking about, which are evolutions. But yeah, that was the second video I came upon in Youtube that also caught my attention, and is my favorite evolution video of Rosalina so far

As for the VA replacement, I think Mercedes moved or something, so that's probably why they needed a new voice actress. I might be wrong, because I'm not too sure, but this was what I heard.

From what I'm seeing, with her appearances as a mainstay character in spin-offs and mainline games, I believe she would have a role in Super Mario Odyssey, but at the very least, a cameo.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Char Seasalina Char Seasalina

Well , honestly i would love to see some of these evolution videos being more of a explanation rather than just a showcase of various clips from game to game.

As for the rest , here's basically the story behind Rosalina's voice changes:

First of all , i think you are confused with Kerri Kane on that one. She was the one that moved away and was replaced by Laura Faye Smith , not Mercedes Rose. In any case , all the evidence gathered point out to the obvious side when it comes to Rosalina's first voice change , and it's that Nintendo somehow thought that Mercedes voice was either too old sounding or too monotone and then they replaced her in MK7 with Kerri Kane , who provided a more lively version of Rosalina but not by a lot , which was a very good fit. This makes sense because Rosalina is the only MKwii character that returns in MK7 with a different voice meanwhile the rest have their MKWii voice clips. I guess since Rosalina didnt appear in a handful of games between MKWii and MK7 , they were trying to redefine her character and make her more lively so she could be a regular in spin off games and other games , so they changed her voice as result. Kerri sadly couldn't stay , and since 3DWorld was coming up , they needed a replacement because Rosalina has A LOT of sounds in that game so that's when Laura takes over. Laura also was available to be Rosalina once more in MK8 , so she recorded again and those voices are heard in basically all the rest of Rosalina's appearences up to date with some exceptions , in which Nintendo used Kerri's for some reason.

It's a bit confusing , but it's not really that hard anymore to see as to ''Why they changed the original''.

Was it necessary? Hell no. But they did it anyway, like many other companies.

In my honest opinion , the first recast was fine , but the second really wasn't that great but we are stuck with that since like 4 years ago.

It also made me aware that Nintendo uses exclusively Local voice actors , meaning that their actors are really close to where they record , and if they aren't then they do a recast.

The exception being Charles Martinet , since i think he doesn't live in Seattle (where Nintendo records the character voices) but since he is Mario , they give it a pass and allow him to travel from time to time if Mario needs new voice clips.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Olimar's thoughts on Rosalina. I really like it, it shows off a side of Rosalina I like to hear about.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Rosalina's outfit always seems to be more confortable than Peach's or Daisy's with those tight waists. Rosalina looks more relaxed with the big sleeves and floating skirt.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina's gown is sort of somewhere between a night gown and an old fashioned maternity gown. I've always found that pretty unique as far as female mascot character designs go.

Also, that description makes me imagine young Rosalina intentionally putting on clothes that are too big for her and being super proud of herself for it.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I've also thought that maybe she likes to dress similarly to her mother, who also adorns a big gown. I thought that her nightgown is pretty fitting for her size, given how she's so tall and large. Of course, it's comfortable that way. But my favorite of that description was when Olimar describes her face. It indeed is an assertive look, befitting of a powerful and intelligent woman.

Rosalina's outfit always seems to be more confortable than Peach's or Daisy's with those tight waists.
Especially since back in the days when women wore corsets to appear thinner and more fragile. Rosalina just doesn't care. :p

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
But my favorite of that description was when Olimar describes her face.
Me too. It just seems like the followup of her amiibo description "Rosalina always seems cool, even in front of danger".
Even the part where he says "she wears it this way because she wants to" is just so good. It's highlighting Rosalina's "strong-willedness" and the fact she does what she wants, she's tied to nothing but herself and is "confident" about it.
I really like it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Someone just released a level pack mod for Super Mario Galaxy 2 that can be played legally on Wii and Wii U.

It also seems to contain a Comet Observatory level.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Haven't been able to get the full animation yet, but here's the full size version of the preview image for the Rosalina sticker.

EDIT: Here's the animation converted to GIF format.

rosalina_kart.gif

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Good to know that there's more stickers , so we can get more fun gifs.

I like how her hair flows with the animation , it kinda makes it look like she has even longer hair somehow.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I might convert the rest of them if people would be interested, though I probably won't be able to until tomorrow.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You have done Gods work mate.

I would love if you could do Peach wavng the chequered flag.
Managed to get this one done before I leave. Will probably be the last one until tomorrow or late tonight since I'm gonna go see Spiderman: Homecoming in a little while.

peach_flag.gif

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Can we all just talk about that face Rosalina makes when dodging the green shell? It's gold AF.
She's making that "nice try" face to let you know she's too smart for that.

Nice try.PNG

This is, no doubt, the best gif next to this. I really love the consistency here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can we all just talk about that face Rosalina makes when dodging the green shell? It's gold AF.
She's making that "nice try" face to let you know she's too smart for that.

View attachment 131914

This is, no doubt, the best gif next to this. I really love the consistency here.
This frame is even better.

frame-008.png

It's tempting me to turn off Knucklesboards to change my avatar.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I can see why the other frame is preferable, I prefer it too, with the hair and eyes. It would be cool if she had animations and art for her biker suit (that also goes for other characters), but seeing how the stickers are focus on karts, I understand why they had the dress instead.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Succesfuly extracted models from Mario Sports Super Stars.

Got this

From Golf mode , Includes Wand and Luma.

And this from Tennis mode.

Also succesfuly ripped animations as well.

Rosalina appears like that because that's how the game manages the model.

Rosalina has 2 hair meshes because in this game you can select to be right handed or left handed , so her bangs switch. And since Rosalina is the only character that isn't symmetrical thanks to her hair , she needed 2 hair meshes.

This kinda also makes her the character that has the biggest model file in tennis.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't understand the logic of switching Rosalina's hair bang, especially since you don't see the L on Luigi's cap being mirrored whenever he's left-handed.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
That doesnt relate.

if you didn't notice , the animations play the opposite side when you switch from right handed to left handed.

So for Rosalina to still look good in her angle depending on when she does her animation she needs to have the hair in one side or another.

This is , again , because Rosalina isn't symmetric like the others so she needs that , while others dont.

It's purely cosmetic changes to make her look right when she plays with the other hand.

Birdo also has this. but hers is not that noticeable because its a small change. The ring she wears is in her left hand , when she is playing left handed she switches the ring to the right hand

This isn't ''mirroring'' this is just to make them look right and in their best angle no matter what side they prefer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So it's basically like how Mario Power Tennis handled Petey Piranha then.

Still, seeing Rosalina's hair bang cover her left eye feels very strange outside of Mirror Mode.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Honestly, I think of this as part of her being ambidextrous, in which she doesn't care which side her bangs are on. Just a fun little headcanon I have regarding the bang switching. Though for me, I prefer her bang on the one I've seen the most, which covers her right eye (probably because I'm used to that).

MaJoR MuCuS

Smash Apprentice
Her sports model is higher poly and more detailed than I thought. It just goes to show how much detail is lost thanks to the 3DS' s low resolution.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I love those sticker gifs, where did they come from?

Also Smash talk has been so slow lately, that I want them to announce a new Smash to get the ball rolling again.

And i mean a NEW Smash Bros game, not a port.

DietWead

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xp33nX
3DS FC
0147-0173-8445
i need to know who the best partners are for rosalina. tha last guy i did doubles with used his trash sheik and my back throws were too high for his up smash. i told him to switch but he was a hoe. should i just skip out on using rosalina all together?

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
should i just skip out on using rosalina all together?
NO, NEVER... (Just teasing, though I hope you continue to use her) I believe one of the best partners for her would be herself and Luma, since that could mean more control of the stage. Given how great Rosalina is, and how she developed, another partner using her would double the fight, at least, in my opinion. I'm not too experienced in Smash, but this is what I think.

FatalitySonic2

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2278-4493-3606
I love those sticker gifs, where did they come from?
These gifs are stickers for Line.

Succesfuly extracted models from Mario Sports Super Stars.

Got this

From Golf mode , Includes Wand and Luma.

And this from Tennis mode.

Also succesfuly ripped animations as well.

Rosalina appears like that because that's how the game manages the model.

Rosalina has 2 hair meshes because in this game you can select to be right handed or left handed , so her bangs switch. And since Rosalina is the only character that isn't symmetrical thanks to her hair , she needed 2 hair meshes.

This kinda also makes her the character that has the biggest model file in tennis.
Awesome! Her model looks like it's straight from Ultra Smash. I mean, there's a bunch of polys...

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33

There's this video on Youtube that replaces Peach's model with Rosalina's. The reasons why I like this is because of the disclaimer at the beginning of it, informing us that she isn't a damsel in distress and doesn't call out for help, and then we have her sizing. She's still super tall despite being sized down to Peach's size, and there's Kamek dressing up like Rosalina. Even in the depiction of being a helpless damsel in distress, and a ditzy and innocent manner, she still looks powerful and commanding solely by her looks.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105

There's this video on Youtube that replaces Peach's model with Rosalina's. The reasons why I like this is because of the disclaimer at the beginning of it, informing us that she isn't a damsel in distress and doesn't call out for help, and then we have her sizing. She's still super tall despite being sized down to Peach's size, and there's Kamek dressing up like Rosalina. Even in the depiction of being a helpless damsel in distress, and a ditzy and innocent manner, she still looks powerful and commanding solely by her looks.
Yeah that's funny how the creator himself doesn't know how it'd happen. In the comments he's just "well, there's no reasoning for her to be there's it's just... happened"

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
ummm so ummmm... this happened.

OMG OMG OMG OMG SACMKSKAMKCMAKCKACMKAMKC AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
cmkdscksmc

As part of Rosalina's 10 year anniversary , Kerri Kane decided to sign up some pics of Rosalina and gave it to friends and a few fans ... and guess who she sent one as well out of surprise!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHH Im gonna die , best day ever yet.

Im so sorry , im just gonna share this memory forever. I simply can't believe it , it's so amazing.

Top Bottom