• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I finally able to play Smash Wii U, but I end up rage quit due to my brother's annoying Charizard… it has been a while since I play Smash Wii U…

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I have not played in a long while

Back then i used to play alot more Melee and Brawl with my brother.

Even if Smash Wii U is great game, now that i think of it , it didnt really have a big impact on me like the other games and for that matter i dropped it quite fast.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I finally able to play Smash Wii U, but I end up rage quit due to my brother's annoying Charizard… it has been a while since I play Smash Wii U…
The Charizard players I see so far just spams the side special. I can see that being annoying yet easier to dodge, I wonder if your brother uses him really well, then I can see that as something to rage quit about.

I have not played in a long while

Back then i used to play alot more Melee and Brawl with my brother.

Even if Smash Wii U is great game, now that i think of it , it didnt really have a big impact on me like the other games and for that matter i dropped it quite fast.
Doesn't Rosalina's inclusion counts as a big impact? It surely was for me, and everyone else was excited for it. Surely you must think of Smash Wii U as an amazing game of some sort, because Kerri Kane did an amazing performance on it. I like the game, even though I do horribly, I like the gameplay and graphics.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
While i enjoy Rosalinas inclusion , its certainly not an impact for me , mostly because i dont play as her that often. I have always played and will always play as Peach more because her playstyle is just everything that i love in a fighting game , it suits me the best since Melee came out. I play as Rosalina , but her playstyle, while a good one , is not my top pick.

For the Kerri Kane part, she was always good , but i dont really see the need to praise her in Smash as this performance is recycled from Mario Kart 7 mostly

I liked her back then , and its natural that i like her here too since its the same damn thing . She was always good , and i dont see why some people think she is better in this game when its the same thing as in MK7 , identical , recycled , reused , you name it.

Same goes for Laura Faye Smith in Mario Party 10 , as the majority of the clips are from Super Mario 3d World , so its natural to like that performance too since most of it is the same thing.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The Charizard players I see so far just spams the side special. I can see that being annoying yet easier to dodge, I wonder if your brother uses him really well, then I can see that as something to rage quit about.
I'm not gonna lie his Charizard is really good. But kind of odd to be good for his sake. That's why I ended up beat him with Cloud.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
While i enjoy Rosalinas inclusion , its certainly not an impact for me , mostly because i dont play as her that often. I have always played and will always play as Peach more because her playstyle is just everything that i love in a fighting game , it suits me the best since Melee came out. I play as Rosalina , but her playstyle, while a good one , is not my top pick.
Same here. I've liked Rosalina in Smash, but I use Peach a lot more than her (she's been my main since Melee and I also favor her playstyle, usually heavy mix-ups). Still, when Smash 3DS came out the first person I wanted to try was Rosalina (and I was surprised she wasn't unlockable). She felt pretty strong on 3DS and when I played online I kept wrecking tons of players with her (constantly 2 stocking people before the nerfs). Lastly, when Smash Wii U came, I quickly switched over to Peach, not because I didn't like Rosalina, but because of the better controls on Wii U. Trying to use Peach on 3DS was terrible.

As a side note, I wish that Nintendo was more consistent with Rosalina in general. Like consistent voice actress crediting, using voice clips with or without echo effect, etc.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The fact that Rosalina isn't playable in Rugby makes me so sad because she's perfect for it and this event looks so fun.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Same here. I've liked Rosalina in Smash, but I use Peach a lot more than her (she's been my main since Melee and I also favor her playstyle, usually heavy mix-ups). Still, when Smash 3DS came out the first person I wanted to try was Rosalina (and I was surprised she wasn't unlockable). She felt pretty strong on 3DS and when I played online I kept wrecking tons of players with her (constantly 2 stocking people before the nerfs). Lastly, when Smash Wii U came, I quickly switched over to Peach, not because I didn't like Rosalina, but because of the better controls on Wii U. Trying to use Peach on 3DS was terrible.

As a side note, I wish that Nintendo was more consistent with Rosalina in general. Like consistent voice actress crediting, using voice clips with or without echo effect, etc.
Yes. Its just matter of preference really. That and the fact that many felt that Rosalina could be a potential newcomer even before her reveal , so it was not a big surprise either. Rosalina is a very technical character , she takes time to master but has amazing results.

Though , she is one of the reasons i would still play the game too since she is playable and its fun to play as , but as i said, She would be my second pick , not really the first.

For portrayal , it makes me wonder what Nintendo was planning with Rosalina , because , if we are technical here , this role would be in the hands of Kerri Kane if she didnt decide to drop it. The only reason why Laura was cast is because Kerri couldnt stick around.

1 of the things that Kerri commented when we talked , is that after she relocated she heard from a friend that they were looking for a new Rosalina after she left , obviously , but that Nintendo specifically was looking for a voice match which means that they wanted someone that sounded closely or even identical to Kerri Kane , much like they did with Jen Taylor and Sam Kelly with Peach.

This of course didnt became true as Laura doesnt sound even a little bit like Kerri Kane which leads to inconsistency.

That and the fact that they take out the echo effect that was still carried to Kerri Kane after Mercedes Rose , so it makes Laura sound even more different than the other 2 , which doesnt make much sense as

A) They cared enough to add it to Kerri Kanes voice.

B) Freaking Baby Rosalina has a filtered voice in Mario Kart 8 yet Rosalina has not.

Its such a flip flop.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Laura more or less would sound similar to Kerri Kane and Mercedes if she had the echo.

The three really don't sound different in their actual voices. Just their delivery.

Also god damn why does the voice acting topic always come up here? It's like every time I come here, there's complaining or drawn out discussion about the voice acting when it's been done to death and there REALLY isn't much to talk about.

This is a Mario character, not a Metal Gear Solid character.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Recently I want to play with Cloud more than Rosalina is because I just feel tgat he fits my play style. Rosalina I am still good using her, and she is still one of my mains, but I am gonna use Cloud more often.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Laura more or less would sound similar to Kerri Kane and Mercedes if she had the echo.

The three really don't sound different in their actual voices. Just their delivery.

Also god damn why does the voice acting topic always come up here? It's like every time I come here, there's complaining or drawn out discussion about the voice acting when it's been done to death and there REALLY isn't much to talk about.

This is a Mario character, not a Metal Gear Solid character.

Well , if we are technical here , you were the only one trying to make this a discussion.

The main topic was the fact that Nintendo , is now very aware that they made a mistake and now properly credit Laura Faye Smith as she deserves because her performance is the one that has been used.

Nobody really talked about personal preferences when it came to acting , who is everybody's favorite , and who is the worst etc.

Until , you made your statement about how good you think Laura Faye Smith is as Rosalina , which is very valid.

Just saying this for the heads up and not to come out as rude to be honest , but facts are facts , you kinda derailed the main subject if you want to be specific.

And even more , the conversation going on so far is not toxic , rather is very cordial anda fair. Complaining is clearly not the same as pointing out facts.

Complain : Kerri Kane is sooo bad as Rosalina , i wish she never voices her again.

Fact: Rosalina's voice has not been very consistent because 3 people voiced her in such a small gap between games.

We can talk about this and other subjects if we want to , the times we want to , as long as it's cordial , period.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Well , if we are technical here , you were the only one trying to make this a discussion.

The main topic was the fact that Nintendo , is now very aware that they made a mistake and now properly credit Laura Faye Smith as she deserves because her performance is the one that has been used.

Nobody really talked about personal preferences when it came to acting , who is everybody's favorite , and who is the worst etc.

Until , you made your statement about how good you think Laura Faye Smith is as Rosalina , which is very valid.
No, the voice acting topic was up way before I got here. That's why I said something on the matter myself. I didn't specify it had to be talking who's better than who.

But my point is that every time I come here, it's always about her voice acting - either it's Mercedes VS Kerri VS Laura, or it's nitpicking particular voice clips, or it's discussing at length about stuff like credits or the future of the matter.

It gets really boring though, when it seems like any other kind of discussion is blown off here, and it's literally been the same discussions between the same people on repeats for, like a year.

This thread hasn't seen much activity because people come here and just see this constant, obsessive talking about Rosalina's voice, and it's off putting due to how repetitive it is.

I'm just saying that surely, there must be more to talk about, even if it's not in relation to Rosalina (this is a social thread so you don't actually have to talk about Rosalina, it's just a place for fans of the character to talk about whatever).

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but it's just something I've noticed. I don't even post here anymore that often because it's like Rosalina's voice acting is the default topic here.

And in all fairness, Rosalina's voice acting REALLY isn't that important - she doesn't appear in games with story or heavy character interaction. Rio 2016 is the first time she's had dialogue since Galaxy 2, and even then, it's just text. For the most part, her voice actresses just need to say "Woohoo!" and "Yeaaaah!" and a few unique catch phrases here and there (especially Mercedes and Kerri, as there weren't many actual lines for them), and that's it. While it's fine for people to have their preferences, there isn't much to critique or discuss. In all honesty, I'm sure there's tons of ladies and teenage girls around the world who could perfectly impersonate Rosalina as is, or provide their own take that sounds just as good. I'm sure there are female Rosalina fans in this thread who could. Maybe even male ones! And that's because there is no room for complexity or intricacy with voicing Rosalina, because the context of her appearance in games doesn't leave room to at the moment. Even in Galaxy, there wasn't much room for complexity or intricacy. She only sounded more mystical and mysterious in that game because the tone of the game and her role in it called for it, and the few lines she had would match that situation. I just don't see why people fuss over Rosalina's voice so much. I'd perfectly understand if she was in a game with full dialogue or in a Mario cartoon or something. But if not, then she just needs a few stock sounds they can re-use between games. Which is what she has.

I'm not really getting angry or anything, it's just that, is there not SOMETHING else we can talk about? It gets repetitive when all that's being talked about is Rosalina's voice over and over and over again.

I suppose I'll try to start another topic - are there any sort of Rosalina related mods you guys would like to see in Smash Bros? Like skins, other voice mods for fun, or the like?

I've been working on a skin for Rosalina in Smash, and I'll post it when it's ready, but I wonder if there are any other ideas people have.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
In any case , we were already moving on to How Smash 4 is played by us , and stuff about the game the was brought up in this page.

In my case , i wasnt super influenced by anything in particular to keep playing and that's why i dont play it anymore that often. I did with other smash games , but this one just got over very soon for me.

My main is Peach since melee and im amazed of how much i like her playstyle. While i do like other characters too , their playstyle is just not as good for my personal taste.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I try to main different characters in each game, basically one of the newcomers in each game.

64: :kirby64:
Melee: :falcomelee:
Brawl: :sonic:
Wii U: :rosalina:
3DS: :4corrin:(Technically still Rosalina, but I try to use my 3DS time to experiment more with other characters and right now it's Corrin)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
No, the voice acting topic was up way before I got here. That's why I said something on the matter myself. I didn't specify it had to be talking who's better than who.

But my point is that every time I come here, it's always about her voice acting - either it's Mercedes VS Kerri VS Laura, or it's nitpicking particular voice clips, or it's discussing at length about stuff like credits or the future of the matter.

It gets really boring though, when it seems like any other kind of discussion is blown off here, and it's literally been the same discussions between the same people on repeats for, like a year.

This thread hasn't seen much activity because people come here and just see this constant, obsessive talking about Rosalina's voice, and it's off putting due to how repetitive it is.

I'm just saying that surely, there must be more to talk about, even if it's not in relation to Rosalina (this is a social thread so you don't actually have to talk about Rosalina, it's just a place for fans of the character to talk about whatever).

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but it's just something I've noticed. I don't even post here anymore that often because it's like Rosalina's voice acting is the default topic here.

And in all fairness, Rosalina's voice acting REALLY isn't that important - she doesn't appear in games with story or heavy character interaction. Rio 2016 is the first time she's had dialogue since Galaxy 2, and even then, it's just text. For the most part, her voice actresses just need to say "Woohoo!" and "Yeaaaah!" and a few unique catch phrases here and there (especially Mercedes and Kerri, as there weren't many actual lines for them), and that's it. While it's fine for people to have their preferences, there isn't much to critique or discuss. In all honesty, I'm sure there's tons of ladies and teenage girls around the world who could perfectly impersonate Rosalina as is, or provide their own take that sounds just as good. I'm sure there are female Rosalina fans in this thread who could. Maybe even male ones! And that's because there is no room for complexity or intricacy with voicing Rosalina, because the context of her appearance in games doesn't leave room to at the moment. Even in Galaxy, there wasn't much room for complexity or intricacy. She only sounded more mystical and mysterious in that game because the tone of the game and her role in it called for it, and the few lines she had would match that situation. I just don't see why people fuss over Rosalina's voice so much. I'd perfectly understand if she was in a game with full dialogue or in a Mario cartoon or something. But if not, then she just needs a few stock sounds they can re-use between games. Which is what she has.

I'm not really getting angry or anything, it's just that, is there not SOMETHING else we can talk about? It gets repetitive when all that's being talked about is Rosalina's voice over and over and over again.

I suppose I'll try to start another topic - are there any sort of Rosalina related mods you guys would like to see in Smash Bros? Like skins, other voice mods for fun, or the like?

I've been working on a skin for Rosalina in Smash, and I'll post it when it's ready, but I wonder if there are any other ideas people have.

I hate the constant debates over Rosalina's portrayal in general.
Voice this, dress that, princess or not (Most definitely not! Comparing her to a princess is already blasphemy!), comparing her to Peach (Ditto!) and even boob sizes in the old thread.
Exact portrayals don't matter in the Mario series 9/10 times so debates about them, especially if repeated ad naseum are silly.

On the new topic:
I'd love to see new and unorthodox puppet fighters join the fray thanks to mods.
Ashley and Red, Pauline and Mini Mario, Ravio and his bird pal, Skull Kid and Tael, maybe even Trainer + Pokémon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Brawl did have Pokemon Trainer, but that concept really doesn't work well in a competitive standpoint, as you're required to utilize three different fighters instead of just one.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I guess Charizard was the only choice popularity wise to stay in this case.

I could see the other 2 pokemon having potential for a much more complex moveset too , if he was not the top pick.

Voice this, dress that, princess or not (Most definitely not! Comparing her to a princess is already blasphemy!), comparing her to Peach (Ditto!) and even boob sizes in the old thread.
Exact portrayals don't matter in the Mario series 9/10 times so debates about them, especially if repeated ad naseum are silly.

On the new topic:
I'd love to see new and unorthodox puppet fighters join the fray thanks to mods.
Ashley and Red, Pauline and Mini Mario, Ravio and his bird pal, Skull Kid and Tael, maybe even Trainer + Pokémon.
Well i guess you hate Nintendo on that too as they have always compared characters between each other.

Luigi being in the shadow of Mario , Daisy being a counterpart of Peach , Rosalina being Bigger than Peach and Daisy.

They always compare , and will never stop to do so.

Being a princess is not s sign of weakness or something to be ashamed of . People need to stop reading fairy tales already and stop stereotypes.

whats done is done.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's still rather odd that Froakie never got ANY kind of reference in Smash 3DS / Wii U. Bulbasaur and Charmander both managed to get their own trophies in Brawl, despite not being playable.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

On the new topic:
I disagree with the notion that character portrayal isn't important. Because if the characters aren't portrayed correctly, then they aren't really a character anymore so much as they are just a vessel to contain whatever personality or figure (since you mentioned boobs) Nintendo/fan-artists want, and that takes away the charm and magic of the characters, and makes being a fan of them feel redundant. That's absolutely worth discussing and it's absolutely worth fighting for the integrity of the character if the company is messing up with them. Like how Shadow from Sonic used to be a legitimately interesting and cool character, but since Sonic Free Riders, he's been the most comical portrayal of "edgy the hedgy". Basically he's become what his detractors used to wrongfully call him. Fans of the character want him to go back to how he used to be.

Mario may be a more simple series, and for all intents and purposes, Mario himself barely feels like a real character, as do a lot of the others. But some characters like Luigi, Wario, Bowser, and Rosalina, really feel like they have a consistent, defined character across most games or they did at some point, and when that character is thrown away and replaced with a new kind of characterisation, instead of building on the existing one, it's upsetting. It's kinda comparable to waking up one morning and you find your best friend or something is an unlikable douche all of a sudden, and he stays that way. That's not something you'll just take lying down.

I just think the VOICE is the least important aspect of characterisation in Mario, and this thread harps on it all of the time while seemingly ignoring everything else. It's part of it, and they can mess up (Rosalina in Mario Party 10, and the fact they took away the echo but that's not the voice actresses fault), but when it comes to Mario, a character's charm comes from their overall personality and role within the universe, what kind of backstory they have (mostly applies to Rosalina almost exclusively in the main series, but there are tidbits of interesting info for other characters, like Wario), and how their dialogue is written, because Mario doesn't have full voice acting, so the writing itself is waaaay more important than the voice acting. The kind of abilities a character has adds to their charm too. Mario is pretty typical super hero stuff and has fire abilities primarily, Bowser is the hulking brute who packs a punch and that can be satisfying in a game like Smash, Wario and Waluigi are really weird and zany, and Rosalina is graceful yet powerful, both physically and with magic.

I'm not against discussing portrayals of characters at all because they are absolutely important, even in Mario. There should be some consistency, and overall quality to how they are portrayed. They should at least ATTEMPT to keep them endearing (not like how Miyamoto seems to think Peach is and should be a literal rat or something).

Being a princess is not s sign of weakness or something to be ashamed of . People need to stop reading fairy tales already and stop stereotypes.
It's more just the principle of the matter. People spread misconceptions about Rosalina all of the time. And as a fan, that gets annoying after a while. Rosalina flat out is not a princess. She doesn't have a kingdom. She isn't a dictator or a democratic representative. She doesn't even dress in regal clothing, her gown basically is just a simple sleeping gown.

And while yes, being a princess doesn't automatically mean being weak or a damsel, the fact is that in Mario games, that IS what being a princess means most of the time. Either that, or insignificant spin-off fodder. So it's kind of annoying when people insist Rosalina is a princess all of a sudden or when PR material or licensed products call her one, and especially when they insist this somehow makes her better, when she literally isn't one.

And it bothers me that people point to the crown as being an indicator of being a princess, because what Rosalina wears, does not define whether or not she is a princess. Same with any character. Case in point:

Do you see a crown? Do you see regal clothing? No. Yet, this character is still a princess.

Rosalina is the opposite. She wears a crown (which is likely because she's supposed to effectively be god - would explain why her crown is platinum, since Mario characters are designed to convey their function), and she wears a dress of sorts (though it isn't particularly regal). This doesn't magically make her a princess, though.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I dont quite think so,

People need to get out of the box with that one because it is Only Peach that has been portrayed a certain way consistently and also happens to be a Princess inside the Mario games.

Just because she is portrayed a certain way and its a Princess doesnt mean ALL Princesses in Mario or ALL Princesses for the matter are weak , or need to be saved ; even Peach herself can break this rule everynow and then .

Daisy was only kidnapped once and she was never portrayed similar to Peach , as Super Mario Land lacks any kinda of depth and portrayal for characters ; Daisy was ''just there''

Now that Daisy became a full character , she pretty much represents a very opposite part of Peach , while at the same time sharing so characteristics such as being cheerful and outgoing , but she still isnt the damsel in distress and has never been portrayed that way outside for 1 game (and even so she has no dialog or stuff that makes her like Peach could be inside the game) and her whole character has never been associated with the damsel in distress term ever since looooong ago , she got out of the box.

Pauline who is not a princess , is the a damsel in distress and pretty much never gets out of this box in any appearence she had.

Princess Shroob is a villian and not a damsel in distress.

So i only think this is yet another example of Rosalina being compared to Peach without need.

If she happens to be a princess too , well Congrats Rosalina you are a princess but that doesnt mean you have the same portrayal as Peach , because they are not really the same character , and thats very clear.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I dont quite think so,

People need to get out of the box with that one because it is Only Peach that has been portrayed a certain way consistently and also happens to be a Princess inside the Mario games.

Just because she is portrayed a certain way and its a Princess doesnt mean ALL Princesses in Mario or ALL Princesses for the matter are weak , or need to be saved ; even Peach herself can break this rule everynow and then .

Daisy was only kidnapped once and she was never portrayed similar to Peach , as Super Mario Land lacks any kinda of depth and portrayal for characters ; Daisy was ''just there''

Now that Daisy became a full character , she pretty much represents a very opposite part of Peach , while at the same time sharing so characteristics such as being cheerful and outgoing , but she still isnt the damsel in distress and has never been portrayed that way outside for 1 game (and even so she has no dialog or stuff that makes her like Peach could be inside the game) and her whole character has never been associated with the damsel in distress term ever since looooong ago , she got out of the box.

Pauline who is not a princess , is the a damsel in distress and pretty much never gets out of this box in any appearence she had.

Princess Shroob is a villian and not a damsel in distress.

So i only think this is yet another example of Rosalina being compared to Peach without need.

If she happens to be a princess too , well Congrats Rosalina you are a princess but that doesnt mean you have the same portrayal as Peach , because they are not really the same character , and thats very clear.
I know that.

But not everyone gets that, which is my point.

That's why I think it's better for Rosalina to stay as not a princess (aside from the fact that making her a princess all of a sudden would be silly and random, and would sort of clash with the fact she's the mother of the Lumas and basically the Mario universe equivalent to god).

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
1 thing is sure.

Most media , particulary direct sources to games such as manual , directly call Rosalina something along the lines that has to do with the Galaxies or the Lumas or the Cosmic observatory.

To call her a Princess , if she was one , in some direct source , i would prefer that first they made a backstory for it too , a reason behind that title , to make it more clear.

if not , then Nintendo does as they always do , and avoid refering her as one , indirectly confirming she isnt

I also like the title '' Rosalina'' . Princess Rosalina would be too long and irrelevant as theres no kingdom for her to rule therefore the title doesnt make sense.

If Rosalina had a kingdom , she would be royalty. Since she doesnt , and rather , has something bigger to do , then her titles remain intact as the Mother of the Lumas , Keeper of the Cosmic observatory etc...

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I just learned Rosalina had some other lines, when you unlock her flag. I translate it from French, but an English version would be nice:
"Hello, my name is Rosalina, and I come from the Comet Observatory, from where I watch the Olympic Games for a very long time, especially Gymnastics! The Lumas encouraged me to take part in these Games, and even though I'm a little overworked, I've met lots of nice people."
She really observes every activity Mario does, that's almost weird.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just learned Rosalina had some other lines, when you unlock her flag. I translate it from French, but an English version would be nice:
"Hello, my name is Rosalina, and I come from the Comet Observatory, from where I watch the Olympic Games for a very long time, especially Gymnastics! The Lumas encouraged me to take part in these Games, and even though I'm a little overworked, I've met lots of nice people."
She's not really observing Mario. Seems more like she just wants to watch the Olympics, like most people.

IIRC the English version of this was posted already but I could be wrong.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Yes , her flag description that i posted says something very similar.

I take it as she wanted to be part of the games because she has watched them rather than her watching over Mario and etc , considering she is not in outer space currently.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Her Comet Observatory can be used to see things truly afar, and she was watching over the past recent activities. I think this should apply to not only the Rio Olympic games but the Mario sports game as well, such as Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Party and etc. I wonder if she even watched the activities before Mario even meet her, so in that case she would have seen the N64 sports and other activities Mario does.

So...

Rosalina is known as a "Mysterious Woman", but that doesn't mean she's a stalker or a creep right? Rosalina can see things really far away, in fact, she sees you right now along with everyone else. She has good eye vision that enables her to see beyond the stars literally. Also, she said that she will watch over Mario "beyond the stars" meaning she WAS observing him and the activities he join. So maybe she started observing the sports and other activities after meeting Mario? I honestly think she does, considering she did not exist before Super Mario Galaxy.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I understand what you say guys, but the fact she narrates Galaxy 2, the fact she also states herself she's been watching Mario for quite a long time when she introduces herself in Galaxy 1. I dunno, it seems like lots of Mario watching.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I understand what you say guys, but the fact she narrates Galaxy 2, the fact she also states herself she's been watching Mario for quite a long time when she introduces herself in Galaxy 1. I dunno, it seems like lots of Mario watching.
She never says anything about watching Mario for a long time in the beginning of Galaxy 1. I just watched through the intro to check.

The only thing she says about watching is that she is the "Watcher and Protector of the Cosmos", and that she uses the Observatory to watch over various galaxies.

As for the narration in Galaxy 2, well yes...Galaxy 2 is a story being told to the Lumas. It may be based on a real adventure of Mario's, and Rosalina did help Mario in the game, but there is nothing creepy about that, especially since Little Luma was with Mario, and he belongs with Rosalina.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
She never says anything about watching Mario for a long time in the beginning of Galaxy 1. I just watched through the intro to check.
My bad. She only says "I've been watching from here" in the English version. She says "I've been watching you for a really, really long time from here" in the French version, and that's the ony I played. I guess we can't compare here.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My bad. She only says "I've been watching from here" in the English version. She says "I've been watching you for a really, really long time from here" in the French version, and that's the ony I played. I guess we can't compare here.
I mean if you wanna be technical, Rosalina has been watching EVERYTHING for a really, really long time, so technically she has been watching Mario.

But I don't think she has any weird, creepy, closet lust for Mario.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
i Dont think theres anything bad implied here

She is the one that watches the Galaxies and yada yada yada.

It's only natural for her to keep an eye of everything and anything.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
If you're referring to this:

She's not talking about Mario, she's talking about the player.
But doesn't the player controls Mario? I understand what you mean by Rosalina talking about the player, but I think that Mario also had to be involved in the thanking too. Or just the player and Mario overall? I'm not saying you're wrong, just only saying Mario did help save the universe although the real hero of the Nintendo games are the players. So you're right, I could be wrong but at least she thanked him in Galaxy 2.

i Dont think theres anything bad implied here

She is the one that watches the Galaxies and yada yada yada.

It's only natural for her to keep an eye of everything and anything.
Ah, yes. I actually like it when Rosalina really see even further than the boundaries of the game itself, resulting in the breakdown of the 4th wall. Like she did in Galaxy 1, thanking the player. She's keeping an eye on us all, like you said, "everything and anything", she could be watching you, me, him, her, they, all of us behind the screen... I wish Nintendo could incorporate more characters, including Rosalina, breaking the 4th wall. Just like Starlow did in Paper Jam, it's humorous.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But doesn't the player controls Mario? I understand what you mean by Rosalina talking about the player, but I think that Mario also had to be involved in the thanking too. Or just the player and Mario overall? I'm not saying you're wrong, just only saying Mario did help save the universe although the real hero of the Nintendo games are the players. So you're right, I could be wrong but at least she thanked him in Galaxy 2.

Ah, yes. I actually like it when Rosalina really see even further than the boundaries of the game itself, resulting in the breakdown of the 4th wall. Like she did in Galaxy 1, thanking the player. She's keeping an eye on us all, like you said, "everything and anything", she could be watching you, me, him, her, they, all of us behind the screen... I wish Nintendo could incorporate more characters, including Rosalina, breaking the 4th wall. Just like Starlow did in Paper Jam, it's humorous.
Mario isn't even in the scene where she says that.

She's directly speaking to the player.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Mario isn't even in the scene where she says that.

She's directly speaking to the player.
I know Mario isn't in the scene where she says that and I know she was speaking to the player. In the game reveals that she can speak to Mario, Peach and Bowser via telepathy and Rosalina wasn't in this scene. She conveyed her message while she's in the far zone of space. Even so she thanked the player, Mario doesn't need to be in the scene to her it. But you're competely correct, regardless of how the scene went and whatnot.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know Mario isn't in the scene where she says that and I know she was speaking to the player. In the game reveals that she can speak to Mario, Peach and Bowser via telepathy and Rosalina wasn't in this scene. She conveyed her message while she's in the far zone of space.
But those scenes still focused on those characters. Clearly indicating she was speaking to them. They were the ones on screen.

This was not the case with the secret ending. She deliberately and directly addresses the player, and makes "eye contact" with them. Mario is nowhere in scene and was not referenced. It was a direct dialogue with the player, meant as a reward, and tied into the storybook, making the players connection with Rosalina more personal. And then it had a small sequel hook at the end.

This is why misconceptions on Rosalina exist. Mario fans seem to miss even the simplest things and end up extrapolating it into something way more complex through grasping at straws.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Tl;dr
This topic shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Top Bottom