• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Because as @WingedSnagret can tell you, this thread is just one cycle after another.

:p

Also, since we got all sentimental and whatever, my obligatory contribution to that whole thing:

Everyone in for a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG HUG:

At least that's what I would say if I understood sentimental moments and stuff.

I will shamelessly admit that I have a list of "favorite people" in this thread, although if I actually give them all a shoutout then everyone else will be all mad that they aren't on the list I made or something (as happened with the lists I made a while ago).

You can probably guess at least one of them

[Insert generic This is the end let's go out Strong and together Statement Here]

[Insert "It's been fun" Phrase here]

Blablabla you get the idea.

So yeah...
I've been for the most part silently keeping up with the Ridley thread. You guys are like a second family or something. This has been a great ride for the short while I was here. Also nice Nah.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
• Has the speculation really been worth it?
As of right now, yes but my opinion on this may change on this if Ridley is deconfirmed. But like I said, as of right now, the speculation has been worth it.

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?
Definitely. This game includes the some of the most requested characters (If I remember correctly, the most requested characters are/were Ridley, Little Mac, Megaman, Sonic, Mewtwo, K Rool, and someone else who I forgot. As of right now, we have 3 out of seven) and Pacman (As a lot of people pointed out, Pacman, Sonic, Megaman, and Mario being in the same game is legendary) which definitely gives this game an Allstar feel.

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?
Probably 50/50 because of hate bandwagons, then again we wont know for sure until Ridley is confirmed, if he does get confirmed.

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
It depends whether he's playable or not, imo. If he's playable, then I'd say the confusion is okay because surprises are nice but if not, it is unprofessional because it led a lot of people to believe he was playable, or at least they were 99% sure he is.

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?
It's a tough one. It's a 50/50 chance they'll actually care but I'm going with no, it's not worth it.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?
Yes, it's a huge downgrade like people already pointed out.

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?
I'd definitely like them to so I'm going with yeah.

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?
Yes, I can't stay mad at Master Samurai.

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?
Nah, I always try to look at things from both views anyway.

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?
If we're talking about Roidley, I'd say a bodybuilder who needs to lay off the steroids. If we're talking about classic Ridley, I'm going with a reanimated skeleton dragon bird thing. JUST LOOK AT THAT ****ING NECK! In all seriousness, he represents one of the most iconic villains in Nintendo's history and is just a total badass.

• Why do you want Ridley playable?
He's one of most iconic villains in arguably gaming history in general and Metroid is in desperate need for a new rep, after all, all we have is Samus and Samus.

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?
Nah, as I said earlier, I try to look at things in every way possible so I'd say my reason if fair.

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?
They're cool, Ridley's fanbase is probably the best fanbase I've seen in awhile.

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
Yes, definitely.

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?
I'll make it short and sweet: Yes.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Brethren and Sisters united under Ridley. WE WILL KNOW IN 2 DAYS!!!!
Maybe, maybe not. Some characters might have crazy unlock conditions. I wonder how many people will play as Samus 50 times to try and unlock Ridley.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
As one of your "top guys" here, (not to uplay myself)

It's gonna happen.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
Long post ahead.
I may be against Ridley's inclusion, but if anything then you might as well have the opinion of what you guys call the "detractors".
I dunno, maybe if you guys are lucky enough.
Well it'd be the first Metroid newcomer other than Samus, so yeah.
  • What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?
No idea, maybe 50:50.
  • Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
Of course not. Ridley's one of the most popular characters, so even if they don't put him playable they're at least going to acknowledge him before his reveal.
I won't be mad at Nintendo for putting him in. At least if they make him work.
  • Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?
Honestly, I think it'd be hilarious:troll:
  • Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?
No. I think if DLC is made for characters, it should just stick to ones that they ran out of time to complete-and even then it should be free/low-priced. If they did plan Ridley to be in the game but ran outta time, then DLC would make sense for him.
He didn't though. Even if Ridley's not playable, Sakurai acknowledges the hype around the big purple space dragon. The direct alone proves that.
  • Would you question your point of view if he is playable?
Changed it here because of my stance. I'm not really against Ridley himself, so probably not.
To be honest, my reason for not wanting him is pretty biased.
Now see, this is the main thing that's what's up with me. I don't mind every single fan, but the ones that I've seen that
A) Think he's 100% playable, without a single doubt
B) Want him in just for the ****storm
C) Are the same 10 year olds who think Goku would make it in Smash
are the reasons why I don't want Ridley. Also considering I have been mocked on this thread for a few points I made about why I don't think he's playable (hey I know I'm trying to deconfirm him on a support thread but still). Like I said, my reason is pretty biased, but I'd be pretty disappointed to see these people be justified. Especially if they're just going to immediately go "HAHAHA TAKE THAT PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WANT HIM I GOT WHAT I WANTED AND YOU DIDN'T"
  • EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
Well, not ALL character requests. Like I said before with Goku, and the Shrek4Smash things on miiverse. But in the end if a character has a chance and the person who's justifying him is being a good guy about it, then yeah.
  • Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?
Though I would be unhappy with his inclusion, I believe that Ridley is at the very least somewhat deserving of a spot on the smash roster. Fans/haters aside, Ridley has been in almost every Metroid game there is (excluding maybe two or three of the prime games). With the fact that he's also been appearing in SSB ever since the first game, even before Bowser has, he has waited for a very long time. While I do think that if he ends up being in, then maybe Porky, Black Shadow, or a humanoid Andross should too. (Though let's wait until the next starfox game for that last one, eh?)

Like I said before, if Ridley ends up not being in, then I truly do feel sorry for some of you who wanted him. After 15 years of waiting and still no grand finale, it must suck to see your most-wanted not get confirmed after four games. In the end, though, you can always hope.
I'll still be laughing at the A, B, and C fans mentioned above if he doesn't get in though.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I guess I'm doing this....
Depends If he is in or not.

Yes.

People will get over it in a week.

Yes. Yes, and YES! This flame war has taken the entire Smash Bros Community.

• Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?
Maybe, just a disappointed tweet or youtube video.

If they showed it in the direct yes, but now no.

I don't see it happening. If I was sakurai I would remove the stage boss and start working on Ridley DLC. But, I'm not sakurai.

If I can get over waluigi I can get over anything, But, this will leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

No way.

A really cool nintendo villain who is being ruined by an stupid meme.

Honestly, I saw all this mocking and unjustified hate towards ridley fans, I had to join them.
Before I even cared about ridley I found the arguments against them rather silly.

maybe....

• What do you think of the fans?
Really defensive. But I would not blame them. If my favorite character became the laughing stock of smash bros(which it kinda was) I would pretty defensive too.

• Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
I just can't stand people hating characters all together. People need to understand that every character has there fans. If you don't like a character there is someone that does, and there are 50 more to choose from.

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Hey... guys.
I'm feeling pretty doubtful about Ridley.
Before, I felt pretty confident.
Now, I... don't know what to feel.
I just want to know Ridley's fate already.
I'm honestly pretty nervous that he won't be playable.
Could Sakurai really be that much of a jerk?

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace

Going Sherlock Holmes over Ridley for the past year was really fun, yeah.

Completely. Ridley has arguably been a desired Newcomer for 13 years, after Melee's announcement trailer featured him at a decent size, and has definitely been one of the most requested newcomers for about 7 years.

95% will like him after they see him in action. People were disgusted by the idea of Miis or Pac-Man, and then they turned out pretty great.

Assuming he's a boss? Completely unprofessional, and it's exactly why I think he's playable. If you're going to make an official statement towards IGN clarifying "No, Chrom is not a newcomer he is simply part of Robin's Final Smash," there is no reason not to look at the Western fanbase going ape **** against each other and clarifying "Sorry for the confusion, the Direct was intended to reveal Ridley's role as a stage boss. Here's a picture of him doing that."

We'll be showing our displeasure regardless, so it's a moot point.

At this point it's completely worth complaining about.

Well it's not like there's anyone else really worth adding at this point. Maybe some of the old vets, and some other snubbed fan favorites like K. Rool or Impa. But Ridley should be at the top of any lists of DLC plans.

Only if we got him as DLC or in Smash 5 in the initial announcement.

Nope. I am completely justified in thinking there was deception going on with Ridley.

Moral victory. It's like when Robin's fans got Robin after they had to deal with months of "Lol Robin would never get in over Chrom, Chrom's the Lord," except Ridley fans had to deal with a lot more ****.

Big dragon, which the roster does not have in any form. A villain when Smash 4 has no villainous newcomers. Heavyweight newcomer when we have exactly zero between the reveals and ESRB leak. Ridley also has the most history with Samus out of any Metroid character anyone actually gives a **** about. Ridley and his slaughter of Samus's home colony is simply why Samus is.

It's very fair to think a character is a good inclusion for being many things that people want out of newcomers which the current newcomers are not.

I'll be honest. Could have been better.

It's a nice thought, but there are just some characters like Geno who are just plain jokes that catch on. Ridley may have been a similar joke at some point but by now it's clear RIdley is a legitimate Newcomer Request and one of THE biggest with the onyl real competition in Smash 4 being Mega Man, K. Rool, and Little Mac. No other newcomer possibilities held a candle to Ridley in terms to sheer size of fanbase.

Well it's really been 13 years at most, 7 years since Ridley seriously gained traction, but yes Ridley is a completely deserved and appropriate newcomer addition. He'd scratch four big itches in the fanbase by being a major Fan Request, being a heavyweight, being a villain, and being non-humanoid character when we've had only humanoid newcomers besides DHD and arguably BJ.

Last edited:

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
Hey... guys.
He could be that big of a jerk, yea. But stay positive, Ridley is love, Ridley is life. Ridley will always be there for you. To caress your head gently. To cradle you in his big, strong arms in your time of need. Remember, Ridley is love, Ridley is life...

PureSparky

Smash Rookie
Hey... guys.
Apologizes for making more posts making this thread's lock coming soon. But, I feel your pain bro. Before I was like "Yeah! Hes gonna make it in!" But now I'm really starting to question everything. If Sakurai is that kind of prick, it'll REALLY hurt the sales of the game on release. Because everyones been hyping for this game for about years now.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.

Of course. It has vastly increased my knowledge on what it takes to be included in Smash and increased my knowledge on the characters that are already in Smash.

Hell yes! Ridley is the main villain of Metroid. He is the main reason that Samus turned into a bounty hunter. He represents the evil in Metroid and Metroid is a series with A LOT of evil to represent.

Although there are plenty of haters for Ridley currently (for god knows why), when he actually becomes a playable character everyone will view him as such. Most of the people who hate on him will realize how important he is and how awesome it is to have him in Smash. I'm positive 99% of people will love him in Smash when they actually see him.

Maybe, but Sakurai is a troll and he loves to tease his fans.

If I had displease I do think it would be worth showing because Sakurai clearly listens to his fans.

If Sakurai still does not see Ridley as playable character after all the support we gave him this time around then of course there is something to complain about.

Yes DLC should be made, no he should not be in DLC because that is a disgrace. He should not be second to any other newcomer that Nintendo could possibly add at this point.

I don't think so. Ridley was the most supported and most wanted character in the west and is deserving of that title.

No. I've done my research. I've done A LOT of research. I know that Ridley is worthy.

Ridley not only represents all the evil of Metroid and the creation of bounty hunter Samus, but Ridley also represents the hopes of the people.

1. I want to play as Ridley.
2. Ridley is the most deserving character (not playable) to be a playable character in Smash.
3. The Metroid series deserves more reps.
4. Ridley would be very unique since he is big, but not heavy.
5. Ridley would be very unique since he can fly permanently and grab in mid air.
6. Ridley is a Nintendo villain and he kills. That is something that separates him from a greater majority of Nintendo villains.

Well most are unbiased, but the ones like "I want to play as Ridley" obvious are biased.

I am proud of the fans for supporting Ridley through all the crap people put him through and the whole Ridley shadows thing.

• Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

Most should be treated equally, but of course there are some character requests that are requests from non video game characters which don't make any sense.

and lastly...

Yes Smash deserves Ridley!!!! and happy 1,000 posts to me! :b:

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Hey... guys.
I'm in the same boat as you. It's really a coin toss at this point IMO, only problem is it's 2 out of 3 and both have 1.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@ Phaazoid Phaazoid , how does your "ridley" play out?

Wario/Jiggs gives a notion that he's going to jump around and be evasive. That's contradictory to what a large character usually means. I can see the wanting ability to have a weaving character, but then what about his range?
High mobility and whatnot but very large and slow aerials? That would definitely give a boss feel, but I'm not sure that would be much of a viable character. Should he have super armor on a lot of things so he can actually achieve hits? I bring up Peach because her main aerial is her forward air, slow (like 15+ frames start up), can kill, does good damage, the rest of her aerials are shorter range and are combo oriented. What kind of combo orientation are you looking for in Ridley? Or is he a grappler ?

What does he do on the ground? Zone? Dash in just to get into the air? Only ever land to use finisher moves?
How does he get past camping? How do characters get past his camping (is large size good enough of a detriment ?)
What is his projectile meant to achieve? Making it harder for opponents to approach him? Making it easier for him to approach? Combo starter? Finisher? You say longish-charge and being able to angle them. That's a cool idea for the basis of his mechanics, but what else?

Up-B giving him two extra jumps when he already has three. Very dangerous and doesn't really make any strategic sense? A character that screams "air camping with no ability to catch him" and "getting out of every thing you hit him with" (I guess that's the norm now considering this megaman up-b bug). A large leep from the ground is an alright idea though and does fit in with his "style".

Basically my devil's advocate here is: avoid making a Master Hand clone
Not gonna lie - totally didn't put that much thought into it xD. I didn't iterate the moveset at all, however these are great questions to start that process.

Basically, I envisioned Ridley's attacks coming out a lot quicker in the air, and having better reach than on the ground. On the ground, Ridley is much slower, and easy to approach.

His fireballs are store-able, and have even more flexibility in the air.

His grapple mechanic is downright scary, not only is it an aerial throw, but it can reposition the enemy (you could potentially throw them downward off the stage if they were standing near the edge)

As for other characters getting past his camping, not only is he large, but he's lighter than he looks too (being such a scrawny dragon). He's got good recovery, but is KOable.

On the ground, Ridley mainly tries to get into the air. That's what most of the special moves are built around, staying airborn as long as possible.

I'll admit, I don't really know what I'm doing designing a moveset, haha. I've never really played smash competitively, or designed a fighting game, so I'm not used to the line of thought. This was mainly put together in terms of sounding fun to play, and staying true to his past appearances. Is a character that's only dangerous in the air viable? I have no idea. That was the concept I was trying to get across, though. I'm open to suggestions to improve it, although with the game being out so soon I'm not sure it's worth the time anymore xD

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'll only say that if Ridley's not playable, Nintendo deserves flack for not deconfirming him flat out earlier. They know people really want him playable, except for Japan, but their opinion on Metroid is invalid in my opinion, so if he's not playable after all this time, all this hyping, hoping, complaining and analyzing, it's devastating.

I mean, it's all right there. All things pointing at him being playable. A lack of new playable villains, a lack of confirmation, teasing upon teasing upon teasing for not only Ridley, but other playable characters as well. A DLC addition just wouldn't be right, either. He needs to be there, on Day 1.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
InB4 Sakurai specifically took him out as backlash for America leaking the game ...

Oh how lovely that would be ...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
OK. So, I guess I'm posting again for now.@AuraShaman I heard you wanted every one to respond. Though I was going to just watch the thread from this point. But I guess I should do this since you asked and junk. My responses are in red.

Only the speculation based on his gameplay. It got rather tiresome to have people constantly going on and on and on and on about whether or not he can be re-sized. This is an issue that both sides of the debaters have to deal with. And it'd be much, much better if both sides could treat each other with more civility. But that's a lesson the whole internet needs to learn.

I don't see how it wouldn't. Any character that makes it into the roster will be justified into making it in. No matter how popular they are by the fanbase. Even Dark Pit and Dr.Mario will have some justification into making it in the game. Ridley shouldn't be an exception to this.

80% will like him. 10% won't feel too strongly one way or the other. And another 10% won't like him. I don't know why, but that'll be the case I think.

Perhaps it was. Given how quickly they were ready to assure us that Chrom was not a playable character to those who were confused. And it was way, way more obvious that Chrom was not playable. But some of us might be getting our hopes up. I don't really know more than anyone else on this site. Then again isn't that the whole point of teasing a character? To be secretive about it?

It'd be better to show how much you want Ridley in a positive manner. Doing so by complaining isn't going to get you far. At least, I think that's the case.

Maybe. But I wouldn't go too far with it. No need to get into too much of a rage. It's just a game, even if it's a really cool one.

We're not entirely sure we're getting DLC. But I'd be okay with that, so long as said DLC was reasonably priced. Though I'd prefer him to be on the game at launch.

I guess. I don't see why not. I'm not even sure if you could call it turning a blind eye. Maybe he genuienly thinks people would be excited for a boss, if he is one that is.

But at the end of the day, Sakurai is a man that can lead a team of developers make great games. One character missing, even if it's one I like such as Ridley won't stop me from enjoying a great series.

No. Not at all. I still like whatever characters I like. I would just assume Sakurai doesn't think Ridley is unique enough to be a character. Or that he didn't have the time to add him. Nothing more, nothing less.

He's a villain from the Metroid series, more or less the main villain. But other than that, he's just a cool looking character. And his ties to Samus' backstory makes him the best Metroid villain in my opinion. Not that it would effect much in the gameplay of Metroid. I have similar views on Ganondorf, Bass, Nightmare, Kazuya Mishima and other video game villains I like.

Again, I just think he's a cool character. You don't see much of his personality in game. But the feral fighting style is always cool. And I just see a lot of potential in him as a fighter. From air combat to command grabs. So I'd like to see that come to fruition. His inclusion would make many people happy too.

Mostly. But everybody is bound to have a little bit of bias towards most subjects.

A lot of them are cool people. I really mean that. And some are really talented people, something I can't help but respect. They just want a character they like. Nothing wrong with that. But with every fanbase, you'll find the over-zealous fans that can be annoying at times. It's unavoidable. I would like to think I'm a reasonable guy though. And I'll apologize if I had acted in too much of an unprofessional manner.

I suppose. But only if said character can reasonably be added to Smash. It's one thing to want someone like Ridley, Shulk, Waluigi or even Mega Man and Sonic. But we shouldn't really take Shrek or SpongeBob requests seriously. Though that's obvious.

Does Smash truly deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

Yeah. If a character is popular enough to garner interest, I don't see why they shouldn't be added. What is more important than "repping" a series, is what they would actually be able to do as a fighter. I think Ridley can offer a lot as fighter. With Command Grabs and an air focused playstyle being possible options. But everyone has their own personal views on this.

Okay, I'm done. I hope I was able to get my points across in a respectful manner.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
InB4 Sakurai specifically took him out as backlash for America leaking the game ...

Oh how lovely that would be ...
No I bet your God damned Ridley Analysis got him taken out.

"Well ****," Sakurai told himself. "Batman here managed to figure out what I was doing and spread it around the fanbase. No point in keeping Ridley in if the surprise has basically been spoiled. Just gonna take him out and replace him with Dark Pit. He has wings like RIdley, the fans would like him. Yeah."

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
If Sakurai is that kind of prick, it'll REALLY hurt the sales of the game on release.
No, defiantly not. I don't think a single character change will REALLY hurt the sales, this game is already paced full of characters and simply leaving out Ridley won't be that bad. All hail Murabito!!

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
No, defiantly not. I don't think a single character change will REALLY hurt the sales, this game is already paced full of characters and simply leaving out Ridley won't be that bad. All hail Murabito!!
It will probably hurt first weeks sales but I don't think there will be many people that keep the mindset of not getting the game but I can definitely see people postponing their buys out of anger.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
It will probably hurt first weeks sales but I don't think there will be many people that keep the mindset of not getting the game but I can definitely see people postponing their buys out of anger.
Meh, whatever, I feel that would be extremely selfish of them. I guess we will find out one Friday because if he in or not!

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman

Yea, but only if he's in. Then it all feels pointless :/

Oh yea, IF he is PLAYABLE. That's the only thing here, if he's playable, it's TOTALLY justified.

Like 75/25 hate

Hmmm, not sure why this question matters but, yea, because it allowed the devs to get input form the fans on what they want so, maybe while they were keeping it secret, they made him playable due to fans wanting him.

No, unless we get a large group of say 30,000 people wanting him in smash through DLC.

Yes, because he SHOULD be playable!

YES! HE SHOULD BE PLAYABLE IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT AT LEAST WITH DLC WE CAN CORRECT THE PROBLEM IF HE'S NOT! Also, DLC is kind of them saying 'we want keep this game going'

Hard to say... I'd be mad, but then I'd just play megaman more.

No. Not at all actually.

A villain that is understated too often. He's a good villain andfun character that ISN'T another Samus.

1. Because he's something interesting
2. Because he's someone from the Metroid series that ISN'T ANOTHER SAMUS
3. Because TONS of people REALLY want him in! More so than those who want him out!

Yea, actually I do.

most are cool, a lot of them though jsut stuff it down people's throats and it gets annoying.

No, because people who want Shrek, Goku from BZ, and the happy meal should all leave. Bye losers, ask for a real nintendo character next time.

and lastly...

YES! YES IT DOES DARN IT!

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman

In a few hours we figure out if Ridley is the moon crashing down on the internet or Link watching the world engulfed in flames

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
In a sense yes, I think it has garnered Ridley more popularity and in essense more support. If he isn't in this game then there's a stronger chance for the next.

Yes

The majority will either like his inclusion or not care one way or the other. Only a small few will dislike his inclusion (and the majority of that being due to these debates)

Yes. I don't really care if they were to come out and confirm his role, but the fact that they've left it so ambiguous for so long is bothersome.

Not really.

Depending on how he behaves. From what we've seen from the Direct then yes, if he fights like he does as a boss in the other Metroid games then I'll be happy in a sense. But so far that doesn't be the case.

At that point Ridley will already have his role solidified. I doubt that any amount of backlash will allow for Ridley to be DLC. It'll probably just be thoughts for the next game.

No. For every other character that wasn't playable he dismissed their role almost immediatly without hinting. The fact that he's hinted Ridley multiple times without confirming his role is bothering, but he's still a developer that has to deal with making the actual game and I love the Smash Bros. series, so I wouldn't be salty towards him. I'd just hope he wouldn't do something like this again.

No

A purple Charizard? Another Villain, tad more iconic than some other characters.

Unique I guess. Makes sense in the current barrel of characters.

Fair.

Very passionate.

Well, some are obviously either troll or completely unable to be placed in a series like Smash, but as long as they're a nintendo rep I think they deserve a fair thought.

Yes he does

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.

Met some awesome people so very much so.

Absolutely

I would say about 80% will like and %20 will dislike

don't quite understand what is being referred to here

In the event he is unplayable yes very much so.

If he isn't playable a little bit if he is playable then not at all.

It would be nice

Ultimately yes I would

No I wouldn't

Lord and saviour

he is one of my favorite villains

yes and yes

I have met some amazing people here in the Ridley thread (won't name them cuz there is too many) I'm really proud of them all

Absolutely.

• Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

I think we have waited long enough

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm just answering these points that have just showed up. I'm using @ Bravetriforcer Bravetriforcer 's points as a reference for the questions.
Has the speculation really been worth it?
Yes. It has really changed my views on this character, and I'd love to see him in Smash Bros too.

I think it will be justified. The players who wanted Ridley for so long will finally get a chance to play as him, and they'll finally see the character they've longed for in Smash Bros.

Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love, the two clash, 50/50 exactly.

Maybe. Perhaps not given so much the amount of requests to see him playable.

- I don't know. If any DLC, I think the Boy Roy is what I want.:roymelee:

- I can't say, but I know everyone who wanted Ridley will be upset. I'd forgive him eventually. But this time, he's working with more than just Sora; Namco. They could potentially see how Ridley would work in Smash.

Not really.

To me, I think Ridley represents the Metroid series in a way more than what Samus could ever achieve. He's the series main antagonist, and the one who made Samus who she is today. The hatred between the two of them keeps each other alive, so they represent the good and evil sides of Metroid. His role as the antagonist of Metroid deserves more than a boss soon.

I never really considered the idea of adding Ridley as a playable character. I thought it would all come to his size, and even then, how could you make him unique enough from a character like Charizard, who can already fly and breathe fire? It was after coming to this thread that I began to see the evidence that had been collected, and I've been changed. The Shadow Evidence, the Trophy Theory... I began to realise that there's more to Ridley than I thought possible, and that's where I am today.

-What do you think of the fans?
A really funny bunch! :laugh: I was surprised that the fan base that wants Ridley has so much genuine love for the character, and they all love the jokes they make about their favourite character. I think the Ridley supporters are always the underdogs of Smash Bros, often shoved to the side, but eventually making it to the top.

Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
- I think that there should be some sort of equality. If Sakurai sees a character, and thinks he can work with it, he'll do it. There were some characters I never thought would be possible: :rosalina::4lucina::4wiifit::4pacman::4robinm: And If Sakurai can make them possible in Smash, let's see him make Ridley possible.

YES.
Seeing the Ridley thread, I think Ridley deserves a playable spot in Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. He's now become an 'iconic' character in Smash, and has been mentioned in many Smash games. I think now is the best time to finally clear the doubts.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I've been around since...well, thread-wise, not before about page 900, I think. However, I've said it once and I'll say it again, this truly is my favorite place on the Internet. With all the glorious artwork and funny posts about Ridley, this thread really boosted my hopes after the Direct debacle and helped me stay positive overall, not even about Ridley, but about life too. I won't say this is my last post here, but I thank each and every one of you here for supporting Ridley. I've been wanting his inclusion since pre-Brawl, and seeing Samus fighting him in Melee, my first ever Nintendo game, got me into the Metroid series and it quickly became my favorite game series. Seeing Ridley flying through Phendrana Drifts is one of the best memories I have of Metroid Prime, which was my first Metroid and my favorite game of all-time. I figured this post would be dedicated to the questions that @AuraShaman posted, since I feel like these have been on everyone's mind but we've danced around them or barely touched on them until now.

I would say yes, though at times this thread has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard with the "hype". I think it's helped possibly convert some to our cause, however, so I believe that in itself is worth it.

Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?
After 3 games, Ridley's been only a boss (twice). I think 4th time might be the charm.

What would the ratio be between people who like him or hate him if he's confirmed?
I'm gonna say 85/15, and those 15 are sour grapes that need to get a grip.

Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part not to clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
This highly, highly depends on the outcome. If he's playable, not at all. Stage hazard on Pyrosphere, that'd be cruel, not just unprofessional.

Do you think it would be worth showing Nintendo your displeasure?
No, that'd be very, very quick-tempered. I wouldn't participate in Smash 5's hype, though, if Ridley's a stage hazard.

Do you think him being a Wii-U exclusive boss is worth complaining about?
One of the most popular, requested characters for a Smash game only gets released on the console version? Bad PR just got worse. There's no reason why Ridley wouldn't be on the 3DS version, even if he's a stage boss, unless Sakurai and co. really think that Ridley isn't that popular.

Should DLC be made if he's not playable due to the false hype?
Nope, we just looked too much into it, I guess, if so. I don't want character DLC because it would hurt fanbases more if their guys still didn't make it in, DLC and all.

Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye to the Ridley fanbase?
No. Not just for this, for Dark Samus being a palette swap and Dark Pit being a playable character. Metroid being only Samus is ridiculous with this being Smash 4. Sorry. /offtopic

Would you question your point of view if Ridley's not playable?
Nope, we got fooled for no reason, plain and simple. The ambiguity would be for a poor reason if so, though.

What does Ridley represent in your eyes?
The reason Samus is who she is. The quintessential Metroid villain and Space Pirate. The most memorable dragon I can think of, and certainly my favorite video game villain.

Why do you want Ridley playable?
I'm a Metroid fan, and Ridley is the best option for a newcomer, with Dark Samus...as a skin...and an assist trophy, along with Mother Brain. I feel like Rundas and the other Hunters in Hunters could have interesting movesets, but Ridley's the most logical choice, especially since he has perfect attendance in Smash so far, just not as a playable character.

Do you think your reason is fair/unbiased?
Fair, yeah. Unbiased, no, I'm a gigantic Metroid fan, as I've said several times by now.

What do you think of the fans?
Besides the hype train that isn't there sometimes, you guys are awesome. I won't regret putting time, faith, and energy into this thread and this fanbase.

Do you wish for all requests to be taken equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
I want to say yes, but I'm indifferent to this one overall. I don't feel that each requested character is on equal grounds personally, so I'll be unbiased and say maybe. If this means do I wish there was absolutely no bias in the roster, then definitely. DK and Metroid have been severely underrepresented to this point, in my opinion.

Absolutely. The fans, those who have patiently waited a long time, deserve a playable Ridley. Do not gloat needlessly to detractors or rub it in their faces if he is, though. It makes you no better than they are. I've never seen a fanbase mocked and ridiculed as much as Ridley's has.

Thank you guys for sticking through the detractors and the ambiguity, it's made this Metroid fan proud to be a part of this wonderful fanbase. I could call out specific names of people I appreciate, but you're all awesome!

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I'll do my part in these final hours.

Yes it has. It has brought many like-minded people together to support their favorite character!

Most Definitely.
It will probably be around 75% like vs. 25% dislike. Once a character is shown in action, people will warm up to them. It worked on me for pac-man and WFT.

A little. We probably did look into it a little too much.

Not really, There are other fanbases that deserve to be far madder than us.

Yes, it's a huge downgrade like everyone already pointed out.

I'd definitely like them to so I'm going with yeah.

I wouldn't be mad. I still got mega man.

Nah, I always try to look at things from both views anyway.

Metroid's main villain. A truly destructive force to be reckoned with.

He is an awesome dragon from space! and he is intelligent! and Metroid needs a new rep.

fair, I like to view things from many perspectives.

Everyone here is great! All the artwork and general fun we have here is awesome! Though we definitely get emotional at times...

Absolutely!

I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that, so yes.

Top Bottom