• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
With the way everybody's reacting in this thread, I am expecting the apocalypse to happen on Friday. If it was due to Ridley....

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Warning Received
Last edited by a moderator:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Isn't that what results in extreme disappointment most of the time?
Only if you have doubts in your mind. Once you've gained true confidence, nothing will ever go wrong. And I'm still confident to this day, and still will be: Our dream of a playable Ridley in Smash bros will come true this time.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Guys, tomorrow's pic will not deconfirm Ridley, so rest assured.
I don't know what's actually going to happen. Ridley may be playable, maybe he won't be; but I really, strongly feel that if Sakurai had wanted Ridley to not be playable, he wouldn't have cared about showing him, and would've already done it. If it hasn't happened yet, well...

Let's just say I'm really feeling it.

GOTTA KEEP THE FAITH!

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I have my reaction video ready:

xD this is awesome beyond words...
cant get enough of that awesome Ridley confirmed video. You should post it on youtube when the time is right
It's great to see people still think of this video I made, although I won't watch it again until after Ridley is confirmed.

With that said it can't be posted onto Youtube because of Viacom's copyrights, trust me I already tried. :p

Anyways I haven't been a member here long, but I'm happy to have hopes that Ridley could be a real playable character in Smash Bros. We must hold strong in these last few days, we Space Pirates must not falter!

MarioFX

Smash Rookie
Well, I guess now is a better time than ever to throw this out there. (I'm not much of a forum guy, so I apologize in advance if I break a rule or something lmao)

I've been lurking Smashboards ever since the whole VGX awards thing, and while looking around, I noticed a lot of people talking about how they wanted Ridley. My initial reaction was something along the lines of "Ridley? The boss from Metroid? Why do people want him in?". Curious, I checked the Ridley thread to see what was up. Long story short, I didn't really see what the hype was about and forgot about it. Later down the road, I ended up getting Super Metroid for free as a Club Nintendo reward. I was playing through the game and enjoying it, and then I reached the Ridley boss fight in Norfair. I know it sounds really lame when I say this, but that boss fight alone sold me on the concept of Ridley as a playable character. As I watched him air-grab Samus and pogo bounce with his tail, I could already see him as an awesome character to play as. Ever since then, I've been lurking the Ridley thread, and what a wild ride it's been.

I really have to give you guys props too. When I saw the shadow in the Smash Direct, I thought the dream was over. When I decided to check on the thread, I initially dismissed all the shadow theories as extreme straw grasping. As I continued to read them however, they seemed really plausible, and I was back on the hype train again.

Anyways, whether or not Ridley is in the game, I just wanted to thank you guys for all the fun speculation.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
It has Been Fun Speculating with you all. Let's hope this week ends with the righteous cheers of tens of thousands of dedicated, persistent, and passionate fans of a character who is truly deserving of a playable role in Super Smash Bros.....

..........And not another goddamn pic of the main menu.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@ Phaazoid Phaazoid , how does your "ridley" play out?

Wario/Jiggs gives a notion that he's going to jump around and be evasive. That's contradictory to what a large character usually means. I can see the wanting ability to have a weaving character, but then what about his range?
High mobility and whatnot but very large and slow aerials? That would definitely give a boss feel, but I'm not sure that would be much of a viable character. Should he have super armor on a lot of things so he can actually achieve hits? I bring up Peach because her main aerial is her forward air, slow (like 15+ frames start up), can kill, does good damage, the rest of her aerials are shorter range and are combo oriented. What kind of combo orientation are you looking for in Ridley? Or is he a grappler ?

What does he do on the ground? Zone? Dash in just to get into the air? Only ever land to use finisher moves?
How does he get past camping? How do characters get past his camping (is large size good enough of a detriment ?)
What is his projectile meant to achieve? Making it harder for opponents to approach him? Making it easier for him to approach? Combo starter? Finisher? You say longish-charge and being able to angle them. That's a cool idea for the basis of his mechanics, but what else?

Up-B giving him two extra jumps when he already has three. Very dangerous and doesn't really make any strategic sense? A character that screams "air camping with no ability to catch him" and "getting out of every thing you hit him with" (I guess that's the norm now considering this megaman up-b bug). A large leep from the ground is an alright idea though and does fit in with his "style".

Basically my devil's advocate here is: avoid making a Master Hand clone

Last edited:

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
I just want to say that I hope Ridley gets confirmed playable and that all the naysayers/deniers are proven wrong. I've never been much of a Ridley supporter, but lurking through this thread this past year, I've come to realize how amazing he is.

I don't really know all your names, but anybody who helped with analyzing Ridley's shadow from the April Direct, I would like to thank you. Not only because that was a lot of hard work, but because it's helped me and a few of my friends realize how high Ridley's chances are. You've made a silent lurker who was indifferent to Ridley to a full-fledge supporter.

I know you guys don't want too many people posting on this thread, but I just had to get that off my chest. Ridley supporters have really made Smash speculation for me these past few months worth it. Hopefully on Friday, we see the phrase "Ridley swoops into Battle" or something.

D

Deleted member

Guys, we need to make sure this thread doesn't get locked until Smash 3DS is released/leaked. I really don't want the detractors to say: "HAHA! It turns out that Ridley was so BIG, even Smashboards couldn't hold him! :troll::troll::troll:"

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
• Has the speculation really been worth it?

Meh

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?

Yes

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

The majority will, just like with Pac Man/DHD, seeing a character in action often changes minds

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

Definitely

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?

Not really.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

A little bit, as IMO it's a slight downgrade from actual Boss

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

If they have the time I guess.

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?

Yes. Ridley isn't the only one with a fanbase that will get salty.

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?

Not really. Was always 50/50 at best IMO.

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?

A purple Charizard? Another Villain, tad more iconic than some other characters.

• Why do you want Ridley playable?

Unique I guess. Makes sense in the current barrel of characters.

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?

Fair.

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?

Strong. But way too passionate for their own good.

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

Not all characters are created equally, but it would be nice to see fans get along.

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

I guess. Wouldn't say he's a mandatory addition but is one that makes sense.

D

Deleted member

I just want to say that I hope Ridley gets confirmed playable and that all the naysayers/deniers are proven wrong. I've never been much of a Ridley supporter, but lurking through this thread this past year, I've come to realize how amazing he is.

I don't really know all your names, but anybody who helped with analyzing Ridley's shadow from the April Direct, I would like to thank you. Not only because that was a lot of hard work, but because it's helped me and a few of my friends realize how high Ridley's chances are. You've made a silent lurker who was indifferent to Ridley to a full-fledge supporter.

I know you guys don't want too many people posting on this thread, but I just had to get that off my chest. Ridley supporters have really made Smash speculation for me these past few months worth it. Hopefully on Friday, we see the phrase "Ridley swoops into Battle" or something.
We're all in it together. Now remember each and every supporter's username. I don't care if it takes you a week or 2. :troll: /s

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I hope by later tonight/early stuff will start to trickle in. The suspense........
My estimate is it'll start to happen within the next 12 hours, give or take a couple.

Soon....

I'll just post here one more time until we know the truth. Some of you guys are a bit too passionate sometimes, but I can totally understand where that comes from. Overall, one of the most dedicated fanbases I've had the pleasure of being a part of. Here's hoping you and I can finally laugh in the face of the detractors soon. Maybe, maybe not, but whatever happens, always stand Strong!

Here's to purple space pirate dragons!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
@AuraShaman I've been around the thread since page 8##, so I guess I'll return one last time to give my thoughts on your questions.

I think so. We've gained so much knowledge of Smash Speculation by discussing this Giant, Purple Pterodactyl that if Smash 5 ever comes, we can do SO MUCH with it. Cheers.

As a certain Optimistic Flying Lizard says, "You Betcha!". Masahiro Sakurai has made a Moveset for someone who does nothing who sits in his car, a Three-Frame LCD guy with no Colors, WII FIT TRAINER, I think he can do Ridley FANTASTIC justice with his inclusion.

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?
Probably ALOT of Haters. But as time slowly moves on, just like Pac-Man and Mii Fighter, they'll get used to it.

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
YES. So much yes. If you didn't want to create false hype, Sakurai, YOU SHOULD'VE REVEALED HIS ROLE IN THE DIRECT. Don't wait over 362 Days just to keep him hidden for another month!

• Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?
Maybe. I'll certainly be dis-satisfied if Ridley is a boss, and I'm still mad that they haven't even said Ridley by specific name or refrence ("Enemy from Samus' Past" could mean ANYONE) until release.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?
Yes. After all this teasing. just making him a Pinata on one console is just RUDE. Even if Pyrosphere actually IS on the 3DS and Ridley's a boss there too, it's STILL worth complaining about!

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?
Maybe. DLC is a touchy situation, and even with Mario Kart's DLC leading the way to a brighter future, Smash Bros. is a completely different story, since you know there's gonna be that one OP DLC Character that'll force you into a "Pay-To-Win" Situation.

Absolutely NOT. It's been 15 Years, Possibly more, if you include his supposed background cameo ala Dedede in 64's Planet Zebes stage, and Ridley has been SHOWN to be a good size--and although this is considered "A dumb excuse"--by Melee's CGI Opening, where Sakurai worked with what, 3-5 Different Companies to make? It's about time.

Slightly. It would be more of a "What am I fighting for?" view than a "I was wrong" one, though.

Fierce, Dangerous, Cunning and Powerful. Always being able to rise again and again, weither it be Parasite, Metal, or Clone, Ridley has always come back to fight anew. Using Samus as his personal bait, just to find the right openings to scan her fighting style and counter back with force with the Knowledge he's gained.

I honestly don't know. It's not like a 9-Volt or Kamek situation where it's like "OMG I WANT THEM IN SO BAD!", it's more like a mind-to-heart feeling. I just want him in, but I'm not sure exactly why.

I have no idea.

• What do you think of the fans?
Nice, accepting, and pretty funny. Just don't get on their bad side, it's like trying to mess with Bayonetta. Right into the Torture Attack.

• Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
YES. You don't even know how much I've been ridiquled by my friends for wanting someone like Bomberman, Geno and even Crobat in, just because I thought they would make good additions. That's how I felt when in the Pac-Man and Mii threads before they were confirmed, and the Ridley thread today. Just arguments too and fro, with little-to-no rest inbetween. Why can't we all just get along?

and last, but not least...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?
Just one word.
YES.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
What would be the point in still having a thread other than to dramatize about his deconfirmed status? Could always make a PM discussion group for a certain amount of us Ridley fans to stay in contact if necessary after the thread's closure when it reaches close enough to page 2000 (or as Issy said a couple posts after this, a social group), but other than that..
Could'nt there just be a Ridley Skype group?

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Maybe. Some times were good. Others were bad.
Oh yes. One of the few all-stars left, and he's very popular.
80:20

Oh yes.
• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?
Probably not.
Yes.

Yes
I guess.

Nope. My point of view is perpetually questioned by myself, and I acknowledge my blind hope.
An all-star, villainous, reptilian, badass, purple, winged, space dragon.

I love his character and his design, along with his part in the Metroid lore. Also so us Ridley fans can finally be appeased.
Probably not.

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?
We're pretty good. Some of us get really defensive when detractors show up though. @ Phaazoid Phaazoid is a good example of a good Ridley fan. ;)
• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
Yes.

and lastly...

Oh hell yes.

D

Deleted member

Why does it seem like every image/video/gif related to Ridley is posted at least 10 times each in this thread?
Because as @ Snagrio Snagrio can tell you, this thread is just one cycle after another.

:p

Also, since we got all sentimental and whatever, my obligatory contribution to that whole thing:

Everyone in for a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG HUG:

At least that's what I would say if I understood sentimental moments and stuff.

I will shamelessly admit that I have a list of "favorite people" in this thread, although if I actually give them all a shoutout then everyone else will be all mad that they aren't on the list I made or something (as happened with the lists I made a while ago).

You can probably guess at least one of them

[Insert generic This is the end let's go out Strong and together Statement Here]

[Insert "It's been fun" Phrase here]

Blablabla you get the idea.

So yeah...

Last edited by a moderator:

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
How would you guys feel if instead of Ridley we got Rundas playable?.
Wouldn't be the same at all. I don't really remember him that much, had to google it lol. Definitely prefer Ridley to be playable over Rundas. Now if he was included along with Ridley that would be cool.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Hey ridley thread...look because where near release I want to apologize for causing some things and also giving you guys that bs theory a long time ago however im going to say this if any character gets revealed at that direct it will be him....

Top Bottom