• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Ok to put a light on the subject, here's the clip of Ridley's shadow:

http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros

It looks to me that it's just Ridley's tail swinging between his legs.
I think we can all agree that it's Ridley's tail that's shown, not Pikachu's. Pikachu's tail was the whole crux of the Pikachu argument; it would have to be showing if he were grabbed. Not to mention, you can still see the big shadowy mass before Ridley gets to the left, as well as after he jumps up.

In that case, what is the cylindrical object in his talons?

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
So I emailed Nintendo's corporate office last week. I tried to get them to take my bait, and accidentally confirm Ridley's status in the game. This is what I sent:

Hello! I'm a major fan of Nintendo, in fact I own every Nintendo console (even the virtual boy!) and I've been playing Nintendo games for me entire life. I'm emailing you specifically about Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U. I'm very much anticipating this title. In fact, I have actually gotten my young cousin (he's 11) excited about it himself. I got him a Wii U last year, and he's been loving it. Every time I see him, he tells me how he can't wait for Smash Brothers. One thing has me concerned, however. I've seen some pictures online of one of the playable characters in the game, Ridley. I'm familiar with the Metroid series and the Ridley character, and I'm actually pretty excited that you've included him in the playable roster for the new game. He seems like he'll be very unique. That being said, I worry about how violent the character will play. Like I said, I'm familiar with the character and I understand he's supposed to be a vicious space dragon. My concern is if the way he plays bumps Smash up to the an M rating from the ESRB, I'm worried my aunt my not allow my cousin to have the game. I understand how Smash works, but she doesn't. She'll look at the rating and it's be no-go. Obviously I don't want you to alter the game (as I said, I'm actually quite excited to play as Ridley). I'm just really hoping it doesn't get an M rating. I haven't been able to find the game's rating online, would you be able to let me know what the rating the game received is? If it's M, i'd like to start now in casually convincing my aunt that the game will be fine for my cousin. Thanks for any help!

Today, I got this response:
I read your email and I understand you concern. At Nintendo of America, we support the ESRB rating system, and we do not advocate somebody under the age of 17 playing or viewing the gameplay of an M rated game. However, rest assured that Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Super Smash Bros for the Wii U are both designed for wide audiences. While neither has been officially rated by the ESRB, we have strong reason to believe that neither installment will receive an M rating. In regards to the character Ridley having violent tendencies, while the final roster for the game has not yet been announced, I was able to take a look at the character. While he is true to his home game form, he is certainly not designed in a way that would likely cause a boost to the game's overall rating.

I hope I've been able to provide the answer you were looking for. Please feel free to contact us in the future with any further concerns using the official Nintendo website, and make sure to keep an eye on the official Super Smash Bros website for information on the game and it's roster, as not all playable characters have been officially revealed.

Thanks again for contacting Nintendo!

I'm not sure what to make of this. At two points in the email, the rep mentions that the final roster hasn't been officially announced. On one hand, she mentions that she was able to "look at the character" and notes how he true to game form. It seems she was clearly not trying to reveal Ridley's role in the game. Not sure what to think on the matter.

EDIT: since on facebook people think this was somehow an automated response... I'd like to point out the first sentence in the reponse email. Notice how she says "I understand you concern". Not "your". This was typed by a person. Not automated. And I DID NOT re-type the email. It was a copy paste. If this was some extremely specific auto-reply, there would be NO typo. But this was an easy typo that spell check wouldn't find.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Are people really confused? Look at the video I posted above a watch that again and you'll see it's Ridley's tail.
Yeah, one part was his tail, but I also say he grabbed Pikachu, because if you pay attention, we can see Pikachu's ears.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
If your really not sure, that's just the baby metroid he captured in Super Metroid. That scene was just referancing the moment when Samus incountered the baby metroid and then Ridley came in a took it himself.
Lol yeah. I was implying that Ridley was carrying the same Metroid on Pyrosphere.

@ Drclaw411 Drclaw411 OH MAN that's got me hyped, that's awesome!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Personally, I see Pikachu being grabbed by Ridley, and then breaking free

but that means nothing towards playability because the same thing happens when fighting master hand in melee... He has that grab attack, remember? This shouldn't be a big deal...

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So I emailed Nintendo's corporate office last week. I tried to get them to take my bait, and accidentally confirm Ridley's status in the game. This is what I sent:

Hello! I'm a major fan of Nintendo, in fact I own every Nintendo console (even the virtual boy!) and I've been playing Nintendo games for me entire life. I'm emailing you specifically about Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U. I'm very much anticipating this title. In fact, I have actually gotten my young cousin (he's 11) excited about it himself. I got him a Wii U last year, and he's been loving it. Every time I see him, he tells me how he can't wait for Smash Brothers. One thing has me concerned, however. I've seen some pictures online of one of the playable characters in the game, Ridley. I'm familiar with the Metroid series and the Ridley character, and I'm actually pretty excited that you've included him in the playable roster for the new game. He seems like he'll be very unique. That being said, I worry about how violent the character will play. Like I said, I'm familiar with the character and I understand he's supposed to be a vicious space dragon. My concern is if the way he plays bumps Smash up to the an M rating from the ESRB, I'm worried my aunt my not allow my cousin to have the game. I understand how Smash works, but she doesn't. She'll look at the rating and it's be no-go. Obviously I don't want you to alter the game (as I said, I'm actually quite excited to play as Ridley). I'm just really hoping it doesn't get an M rating. I haven't been able to find the game's rating online, would you be able to let me know what the rating the game received is? If it's M, i'd like to start now in casually convincing my aunt that the game will be fine for my cousin. Thanks for any help!

I read your email and I understand you concern. At Nintendo of America, we support the ESRB rating system, and we do not advocate somebody under the age of 17 playing or viewing the gameplay of an M rated game. However, rest assured that Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Super Smash Bros for the Wii U are both designed for wide audiences. While neither has been officially rated by the ESRB, we have strong reason to believe that neither installment will receive an M rating. In regards to the character Ridley having violent tendencies, while the final roster for the game has not yet been announced, I was able to take a look at the character. While he is true to his home game form, he is certainly not designed in a way that would likely cause a boost to the game's overall rating.

I hope I've been able to provide the answer you were looking for. Please feel free to contact us in the future with any further concerns using the official Nintendo website, and make sure to keep an eye on the official Super Smash Bros website for information on the game and it's roster, as not all playable characters have been officially revealed.

I'm not sure what to make of this. At two points in the email, the rep mentions that the final roster hasn't been officially announced. On one hand, she mentions that she was able to "look at the character" and notes how he true to game form. It seems she was clearly not trying to reveal Ridley's role in the game. Not sure what to think on the matter.

EDIT: since on facebook people think this was somehow an automated response... I'd like to point out the first sentence in the reponse email. Notice how she says "I understand you concern". Not "your". This was typed by a person. Not automated. And I DID NOT re-type the email. It was a copy paste. If this was some extremely specific auto-reply, there would be NO typo. But this was an easy typo that spell check wouldn't find.
That is very interesting. I like the phrase "home game form", we need to use that more often. Also, if it turns out a Nintendo office service rep leaked a character, I will be very amused.

Chase

Smash Ace
Is it just me or does the leak thread talk more about Ridley than we do? And we are his thread for Pete's sake! Seriously, those guys spend more time talking about Ridley than about leaks.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or does the leak thread talk more about Ridley than we do? And we are his thread for Pete's sake! Seriously, those guys spend more time talking about Ridley than about leaks.
It's probably because Ridley is a bigger story.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
How many Ridley supporters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None, they are all waiting for him to be confirmed. Plus they're all ten.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

but that means nothing towards playability because the same thing happens when fighting master hand in melee... He has that grab attack, remember? This shouldn't be a big deal...
Well, the way I see it, I don't think stage bosses should be as complex as actual bosses a la Master Hand and the likes.

In those battles, the whole focus of match is focused on the boss alone; attacking it at the precise moment and dodge carefully.

With stage bosses, you can't put too much focus on the boss, since you got the other players trying to take out the boss as well to take the loot for themselves, or try to stab you while you're dealing with the boss. So therefore, the boss shouldn't have precise timing dodge attacks, or limited vulnerability periods, or grab attacks, since those would make the situation even more staggering than what it already is.

At least, that's how I see it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think we can all agree that it's Ridley's tail that's shown, not Pikachu's. Pikachu's tail was the whole crux of the Pikachu argument; it would have to be showing if he were grabbed. Not to mention, you can still see the big shadowy mass before Ridley gets to the left, as well as after he jumps up.

In that case, what is the cylindrical object in his talons?
His feet. Look at Other M flying animation i once posted here (didn't found the link to it) and then at shadow image. It is his feet. Ridley couldn't just bring something to the fight since he doesn't uses anything like that and he is from Other M, so, its not Baby Metroid capsule.
I saw pikachu's ears while ridley "grabbed" pikachu. So to me it seems like ridley did grab pikachu.
If there is no Pikachu's body and tail, then how can there be his ears? "His body" is Ridley's feet while "his tail" is Ridley's tail, but with shadow on an uneven surface, so, it doesn't looks straight. It is also too thin (or too long) to be Pikachu's tail.

D

Deleted member

Stuff here about "knowing Ridley is playable" (Lol)...

In regards to the character Ridley having violent tendencies,
while the final roster for the game has not yet been announced, I was able to take a look at the character. While he is true to his home game form...

RIDLEY CONFIRMED? HMMMM? :awesome:

But seriously, that was an extremely weird response. "The final roster has not yet been announced" It sounds like the rep thought it was ok to talk about that, or they're just a big troll.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
So about that video, I don't think him grabbing pikachu really confirms him. It's interesting, but grabbing was one of his main moves from metroid. He'd grab, wait, attack. It's possibly his smash counter part wasn't programmed well at the time, or it's staying true to the series and gives the players time to mash out.
Calling bs until proof is provided.

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
According to your profile, you're 16. Stop trolling and start learning how to drive. Enjoy hiding your beer.
Why are you so mad though? Ridley got your tongue? Lmfaoooo ily btw and my boy Wolfie can drive so don't come for him

Honestly, all evidence points to Ridley being a stage hazard/boss and non point to him being playable so hey, who knows lmao...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Why are you so mad though? Ridley got your tongue? Lmfaoooo ily btw and my boy Wolfie can drive so don't come for him

Honestly, all evidence points to Ridley being a stage hazard/boss and non point to him being playable so hey, who knows lmao...
I agree. I would still like him playable. Please answer this like a mature adult: why did you come to this thread?

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
His feet. Look at Other M flying animation i once posted here (didn't found the link to it) and then at shadow image. It is his feet. Ridley couldn't just bring something to the fight since he doesn't uses anything like that and he is from Other M, so, its not Baby Metroid capsule.

If there is no Pikachu's body and tail, then how can there be his ears? "His body" is Ridley's feet while "his tail" is Ridley's tail, but with shadow on an uneven surface, so, it doesn't looks straight. It is also too thin (or too long) to be Pikachu's tail.
Alright, I'll go back and see if I can find it. From what I could tell, the one foot didn't match at all with the other foot (thin, very distinguishable toes), so I'm still gonna hold on (heh) to my idea until I find your animation.

Last edited:

Kokopops

Smash Rookie
I know how to drive, but why engage a Ridley supporter, think what you want to think. Atleast I'm not a stage hazard.
'At least I'm not a stage hazard' may be my new go-to insult <3

Edit: Jsyak I am a Ridley supporter. My comment was irt how absurd and pathetic an insult it was.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, that's... odd.

Interesting, to say the least.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Actually, funny you mention that. I too thought about the Master Hand comparison, but, keep in mind that when Master Hand grabbed you, he immediately attacked you (crushing you). Ridley, however, supposeably grabbed Pikachu and did nothing. If Ridley is a stage hazard, shouldn't he attack Pikachu after grabbing him? Only playable characters can do nothing after they grab someone.

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I agree. I would still like him playable. Please answer this like a mature adult: why did you come to this thread?
Hmm, why DID I come to this thread.... Maybe to discuss Ridley hence the name of the thread? IDEK lol just a wild guess. Now sir, why did YOU come to this thread, to insult people based on age hm? Tsk tsk hypocrisy at it's finest

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Not at all. If you've been just following the marketing for Smash 4, you'd see more points towards him being playable, as opposed to being a stage/boss.

Top Bottom