• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Zero Mission's Ridley is the most organic of them, if that makes sense.

Yet I'm expecting a combination of different Ridleys.
Whatever was Ridley's species anyway, was he genetically engineered to be the ultimate space pirate and lead them or does he just so happened to be from a species of highly intelligent space dragons?

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Whatever was Ridley's species anyway, was he genetically engineered to be the ultimate space pirate and lead them or does he just so happened to be from a species of highly intelligent space dragons?
I'm not that into Metroid lore, but as far as I know he just happened to become the leader of the space pirates. He's just another individual from an unknown race of super-intelligent space dragons.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If Ridley is a character, there's a good chance he'll get a redesign like Zero to accommodate his animations and attacks in-game. Other M was an abomination with its big-*** hands and Super looks a bit too lanky (twig neck).

I'm personally hoping for a Zero Mission inspired model, IMO it's his best look because his neck and head look actually functional.
It's definitely going to be inspired by the Other M design. Because we saw his tail. Apparently people think it's a mix between his Other M concept art and his Other M final design. I do like that idea.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
If we don't get Ridley for this Smash Bros, I will become this
And hunt down each and every single person ever though against the mighty Spirate (Space+Pirate) Commander

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=mga_mv2ch12&image_id=9

According to this page of the manga, Ridley seems to be the most intelligent of his species, though there's definitely more of them.
Ridley AKA Geoform187 AKA Awesomeness appears to be part a species possibly extinct or endangered. Which may make it likely that he's the most intelligent of his species. However, I find it hard to think he's THE most intelligent if his species still exists strongly somewhere.​

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well Clearly Ridley's survive-ability is something unique to him seeing as he's the only one that survived the Genocide of his species

I've thought that maybe his species is related to the Chozo someway

Because look at Old Bird from the Super Metroid Comic

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well Clearly Ridley's survive-ability is something unique to him seeing as he's the only one that survived the Genocide of his species

inb4 some elaborate fanfic attempts to prove that Ridley is actually a genetically mutated Chozo.

But chances are someone already did that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's definitely going to be inspired by the Other M design. Because we saw his tail. Apparently people think it's a mix between his Other M concept art and his Other M final design. I do like that idea.
Yeah, it's a bit late to still hope for the Zero Mission design or anything else from what we saw of the direct. Though it's far from my favorite, I'm of the notion that Roidley's one of the versions that looks best scaled down.

---------

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I hate it when people lump the Super Metroid design with the Brawl one. Though the latter was based on the former, there were still aesthetic differences between the two and I mostly dislike the changes/alterations that the Brawl design made to the Super Metroid one, if ya get my drift. When you compare a picture of the Brawl design to the Super Metroid render or especially Super's in-game sprite, they look plenty different.

And I don't think Ridley came to existence from being genetically engineered, though he was implied in one part of the manga to have been genetically altered to fix one of his species' flaws, and of course he was genetically altered again when he became Meta-Ridley. Gotta love Metroid lore science.

Anyone have an idea if we might still get a trailer or can i go to sleep
You can go to sleep.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Actually, I want to see some ****ed up Ridley models now that you reminded me about that
Then just look at that hack for Brawl. Not Charizard's edited model. Other one.
So, uh, how many of you aren't going to get the game if Ridley isn't playable?

Just curious. :chuckle:
I won't. At least until i will get bored enough. Not just because there is no Ridley. There is just not enough things that are interesting for me.
You know, why are Ridley haters so set on not wanting Ridley in smash? What did Ridley do to them?
Did Ridley borrow some money and never pay it back? Did Ridley make them co-sign on a loan they couldn't pay back?
:laugh:
(No, but honestly, what's their problem? :p )
  1. They don't want to be wrong.
  2. Just to troll us.
  3. There is nothing for them to do.
  4. They dislike Ridley.
  5. They think he lowers chances of their characters.
  6. They have a severe lack of brains.
  7. Ridley once stalked them in a dark forest while wearing a nice suit and then asked for 20$ since he had not enough to buy some milk for his cats.
I don't think there is any other reasons why. This list does not counts just detractors like Jerry.
Isn't Metroid a jar of nutella...?
No, he is a pretty cool guy, kills stuff and doesn't afraid of anything, but y can't crawl.
Solution: make everyone but Ridley grow.
"Um...sorry guys, but we failed to properly resize our characters, so, they are now too big to be playable, so, have Ridley instead!"
This is my original fan character Rickley, he can fuse with Ridley, Ridley, Ridley AND Ridley to form JESUS THE SPACE PIRATE!
Lame. Must be HOLY GOLDEN IRON JESUS SPACE DRAGON PIRATE RIDLEY XX ULTRA AWESOMENESS EDITION only for 9.99$ !!!
http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=mga_mv2ch12&image_id=9

According to this page of the manga, Ridley seems to be the most intelligent of his species, though there's definitely more of them.
He most likely was talking about Space Pirates, not Ridley's species. I still think they are kind of guys that will kill you when they get bored.

What if Ridley will get in, but he will look like this:

Last edited:

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I got a mental image of the Ridley trailer. The trailer would be done in a style similar to the Other M cinematics, and the start will resemble the cinematic where Samus is inspecting Pyrosphere, then Ridley rises from the lava much in the way of in Other M. Proceeds to roar to Samus similarly as in Other M, but you don't see him reflected next to her. Then you don't see Samus react like she did in Other M, but rather then notices his size, and Ridley stops roaring for a second. She begins to compare his new height to what she remembers him as, then he whips her with his tail, and he roars again. Newcomer Splash "insert catchy entrance phrase"

There is then in game footage of Ridley verses Samus, and then her ZSS version, and several other characters, with his theme playing. Gameplay ends with him eating the Mushroom item, that makes him roughly the same size as his canon Other M size. It then transitions to him holding Samus similarly to how he did in Other M, but before he delivers the finishing blow, someone comes to her rescue, but instead of Anthony, its "drum roll" Mewtwo.. Trailer ends, fanboys rejoice.
Definitely love the mushroom idea as I was thinking the exact same thing.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
The manga might actually contain a lot of hints as to the circumstances regarding Ridley's species as well as his backstory.

We have the Galactic Federation, which is the government of the Metroid universe, sometime in the distant future. Humans seem to be the highest-up species in the universe, and probably founded the Galactic Federation alongside the Chozos, considering one of the main criteria for joining is being "humanoid", or civilized.

We see later on that Mauk's species was added to the Federation because of a certain Chozo (Platinum Chest, I think) convincing the Federation to let them join. We see that Kreatz's species joined somewhat recently as well.

From the interrogated Space Pirate, we see that the Pirates are obviously against the Galactic Federation, and the Space Pirate points out racism within the organization. This is likely due in part to "injustices" that the Space Pirate race has faced. Perhaps their leader got them thinking in this manner.

Because of Gray Voice's remarks to Ridley, it seems that Ridley's race has tried to join the Galactic Federation before (perhaps trying to be more "humanoid", rather than the beasts they were), but were not civilized enough. Perhaps Ridley's people faced great suffering because of this. Ridley, harboring a vendetta against the Galactic Federation, especially angry with being called an inferior species, worked hard (or was genetically modified or something) to become super-intelligent and take revenge on the Galactic Federation, to show them who the superior species really was.

On the way, he picked up the Space Pirates who felt the same way, and that's how the Space Pirates were formed.

Of course, this is all a lot of interpretation and speculation. If Bagan's right and Gray Voice was just talking about "your people" as in the Space Pirates, then it kinda falls apart.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
@Angelglory @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

This Ridley one of your guys'?
That model doesn't look too bad. It was altered from the Brawl one right? But the upper part of the teeth seem too large compared to the bottom of his jaw. Because I don't remember the Brawl model having beak that large.

I think the wings look really good though.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Well...in the original game, Ridley is some kind of Chozo God I believe.

D

Deleted member

I never saw this one before. Looks like edited Brawley model. His head looks weird.
I noticed that it takes after Melee's version a bit (i.e. no "chin spike", no "hairs" on the back of his head, etc.).
IDR how Melee's head looked in proportion to his body, though.

EDIT: I've cropped the Ridley out of the image to make comparisons easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I thought I'd leave these here for you swell folks.

Doodley and Sketchmus

The insipid meddling Chozo girl

Just some sketches I threw together whilst at the desk earlier. They're in no way comparable to the likes of Andrea and SchAlternate's work, but I thought they'd appease us all the same. Apologies if The Glorious Leader seems oddly done, I didn't have a reference for him and just went with my latent memories of his artwork. ;3

Here's hoping we'll see something akin to this next week! It'll be interesting to go without any Pics of the Day for a bit, but we'll just have to man up and carry on regardless.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Well...in the original game, Ridley is some kind of Chozo God I believe.
Be that as it may, he's certainly not one in the current canon. Zero Mission shows him descending to Zebes shortly after Samus acquires the Morph Ball. Unless and until we get a reboot, that's canon, even if Sakamoto's responsible.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I noticed that it takes after Melee's version a bit (i.e. no "chin spike", no "hairs" on the back of his head, etc.).
IDR how Melee's head looked in proportion to his body, though.

EDIT: I've cropped the Ridley out of the image to make comparisons easier.
Now that you mention it, I do kind of see it. But the top part of the beak seems a little too long. Or maybe the bottom is too short. Can't say for sure.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So... yeah. I drew something.

This is the first time I drew Ridley (and the reason why I didn't do the body)... so it might look like crap to you guys. I used the Ridley in my sig below as the reference as I like that design. But it appears I made Ridley look like a bird... but oh well.

Edit:

Lol, @ Wintropy Wintropy and I must of had the same thing on the mind. :awesome:

Edit 2:

I resized the image a bit cuz it seemed a bit too big for my taste. Wait... too big... aw crap.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I really don't like Brawley's design. The face, the neck, the chest. I don't like them. Now Meta Brawley looked a lot better if I recall correctly.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Guys I found a leaked screenshot from PAX!

I'll say I'm sorry but just know I don't mean it.

Pretty hype right?

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Wow, what's with all the Ridley pic posts? I wonder, does it mean something BIG is coming? :troll:
I dunno, the story behind mine is that I started out drawing Ridley seriously and it just went downhill from there. It's been collecting dust for a while and I felt now was appropriate

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So... yeah. I drew something.

This is the first time I drew Ridley (and the reason why I didn't do the body)... so it might look like crap to you guys. I used the Ridley in my sig below as the reference as I like that design. But it appears I made Ridley look like a bird... but oh well.

Edit:

Lol, @ Wintropy Wintropy and I must of had the same thing on the mind. :awesome:

Edit 2:

I resized the image a bit cuz it seemed a bit too big for my taste. Wait... too big... aw crap.
Great minds think alike! ;D

I really don't like Brawley's design. The face, the neck, the chest. I don't like them. Now Meta Brawley looked a lot better if I recall correctly.
It's a bit of a strange design, I grant you. I do love that the Meta Ridley design looks more sleek and (literally) polished - it's what I always imagine when I think of Ridley as a potential fighter.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
i havent been on here today til now. anything happen today?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
The last full weekend before the BIG reveal. This is going to be interesting, though it seems the PotD is pretty much down to rehashing or giving minor details to confirm / extend the leak. Will be interesting to see if they do indeed reveal Ridley before release.

Top Bottom